Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:36:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well again, that is the beauty of the film. It didn't decide for us, it lets the audience draw their own conclusions on many things,
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a ritual. He soothed it's fear before he killed it. And he held her while she died. And the choice of how to cause her death wasn't a quick one.
Well again, that is the beauty of the film. It didn't decide for us, it lets the audience draw their own conclusions on many things,
Just pointing out details. And i qualified it as being only my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:58:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

She wasn't a fresh Luv model - she was his most recent attempt to make a replicant that could breed. He knew from the diagnostics he did with the little floating eye stones that he had failed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

She wasn't a fresh Luv model - she was his most recent attempt to make a replicant that could breed. He knew from the diagnostics he did with the little floating eye stones that he had failed.
That was my initial thought, I didn't understand how he knew just looking at her.

Quoted:

To establish his indifference to his creations (and his danger as a villain).  Wallace sees them as things, to be discarded like a used tissue on a whim.   As to that particular scene, I took it as a "another failure... back the drawing board" moment.
Quoted:

Because he can. It's a sacrifice. To his godliness. A bringer of life and death.

Before, Tyrell was still under the coercion of the government. He had a healthy respect for it. Perhaps more of an equal footing outlook since  he provided a useful service to the state. More of a cooperative effort.

In this one, it seems to have flipped. Wallace is allowed indulgences. For things he's done to keep things going since the revolution. one of the shorts goes into it a bit. He came up  with  solutions. The government provides.

It also can explain his ability to escape any retribution when Luv kills the Police Chief. And also the coroner tech death without repercussion. Allowances are made as long as Wallace doesn't go too far. Little people are disposable. Luv knows this well.

The government's perception is a willingness to allow things because of what the corporation provides. Wallace's outlook is more of a contempt. He exercises a certain latitude of control with the government.

As was suggested a little earlier, this might be reflected in the personas of the two replicants who are  closest to their makers. Tyrell and Rachel. Niander and Luv. Reflections of their deeper selves.

My take on it.
Thanks.  All of that makes sense.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:59:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This is exactly how I took it as well. Not that he could have won, just that he (Sapper) chose death rather than being brought in and risking compromise. He is a hero figure, as is K/Joe in the end.

Watch the fight scene again and you will see that K/Joe is not at a disadvantage - he is extremely fast and very strong. When he is beating Sapper into submission he hits far beyond what any normal could - the sound and the force portrayed are impressive. In addition he tells Sapper not to get up and even though Sapper can barely stand - he eventually does and K/Joe shoots him.

I thought that first scene with K/Joe and Sapper was very well done. You really wonder if K/Joe is an idiot the way he casually puts his pistol on the table and puts himself at a disadvantage while at the same time making sure Sapper knows why he is there. In my mind I was thinking - this guy is going to get killed! Then the fight starts and after a few seconds we can see why he was so confident in his abilities. Confident in the same way Roy Batty was.
View Quote
It was a great scene.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#4]
switching back and forth between a Standard Blu-ray and a 4k copy feeding the same TV..In the intro with the tiny letters over the black screen the difference is huge. The closeup of the eye after that? wow

nerdfest yes I know but I'm home taking care of 2 kids with the flu is I needed a dad moment
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This is exactly how I took it as well. Not that he could have won, just that he (Sapper) chose death rather than being brought in and risking compromise. He is a hero figure, as is K/Joe in the end.

Watch the fight scene again and you will see that K/Joe is not at a disadvantage - he is extremely fast and very strong. When he is beating Sapper into submission he hits far beyond what any normal could - the sound and the force portrayed are impressive. In addition he tells Sapper not to get up and even though Sapper can barely stand - he eventually does and K/Joe shoots him.

I thought that first scene with K/Joe and Sapper was very well done. You really wonder if K/Joe is an idiot the way he casually puts his pistol on the table and puts himself at a disadvantage while at the same time making sure Sapper knows why he is there. In my mind I was thinking - this guy is going to get killed! Then the fight starts and after a few seconds we can see why he was so confident in his abilities. Confident in the same way Roy Batty was.
View Quote
Sapper is like like an old muscle car, still capable of beating most cars, but getting old. K is like a Corvette, and Luv, Wallace's right hand replicant is basically a McLaren P1/Bugatti Chiron, with no expense spared.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 1:08:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just watched it. Was surprised, I liked it. Not quite up to the original but wasn’t really disappointed. Felt like it had gaps but I’m hoping a Director’s Cut will fill them in.

ETA: I’m very happy they decided to follow the movie timeline instead of making a huge jump into the future to compensate for the future tech envisioned.
View Quote
Villeneuve stated that the theatrical cut IS the director's cut. He doesn't intend to re-cut it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Villeneuve stated that the theatrical cut IS the director's cut. He doesn't intend to re-cut it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just watched it. Was surprised, I liked it. Not quite up to the original but wasn’t really disappointed. Felt like it had gaps but I’m hoping a Director’s Cut will fill them in.

ETA: I’m very happy they decided to follow the movie timeline instead of making a huge jump into the future to compensate for the future tech envisioned.
Duck that. I want my missing hour and a half!
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This. I don't know what global warming he's referring to. There was a resource/food shortage, a dirty bomb in Vegas. Not sure what other calamities are in play, but I never got a hint that global warming was one of them.
View Quote
There was a massive EMP event. "The Blackout" lasted for 10 days.

I'm pretty sure even the first film indicated that the climate had changed. Non-stop rain in LA for days? When does that happen? Pretty rarely I'm guessing.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why did Joe lie down and die on the steps.  There has to be something 'big' in that moment that I'm not getting.
View Quote
You're not very familiar with Christian iconography, are you?
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 1:13:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I liked the 2049 movie a lot, and my wife loved it.  Like others, I was a little apprehensive, because I loved the original Blade Runner, and was worried that 2049 would disappoint.  I think it's a fantastic sequel, and really like the story telling and the visuals.

However, there is ONE thing that bothers me, and hopefully someone can explain.

WHY does K/Joe believe that he might be Deckard & Rachel's kid?  That part never made sense to me.  Obviously I understand that he has the memories, but if he WERE the kid, how in the world would he have become a Blade Runner, who is owned by the police department?  Clearly, the police department must have purchased him from Wallace at some point.  There is ZERO explanation possible (as far as I can tell), how a human/replicant hybrid could have been BORN to Deckard/Rachel, and then somehow magically have appeared in the Police department as a purchased replicant.  Plus, EVEN IF it were somehow possible for the people protecting the child to have snuck him into an order from Wallace to the police department, why in the world would they have chosen the life of a Replicant for the child?  That would also make no sense at all, since openly being a replicant would put him at risk of violence from humans.

That's my only beef with the movie - that a smart investigator like K would never in a million years have believed that he might be the lost child, because there's no way that makes sense.

Did I miss something?
View Quote
"We all wish it was us," said one of the other replicants.

Frankly, that explained it perfectly for me.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 1:17:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The whole baseline concept bothers me. Supposedly failing a baseline (what I assume to be an AI diagnostic) results in retirement. OK. So, this thing that is stronger and faster than you that’s been designed to basically kill has a malfunctioning artificial intelligence, and the guy running the diagnostic TELLS the thing it’s “way off baseline (so we are supposed to kill you before you flip your shit and start offing us)”? And the captain does the same thing? Seems incredibly stupid.
View Quote
No.

It seemed that these Replicants had Asimov's laws of robotics built in to some degree, and it was made very very clear that they Obey. So while they could be emotionally off-kilter, I'm guessing their programming wouldn't allow a random killing spree. Luv was obviously made differently.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 1:21:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Agreed. In many ways Wallace is the least human and most evil character in the movie.
View Quote

Highly manipulative, a strong sense of entitlement with an attitude that society's rules shouldn't apply to him, manifests cruelty without any hint of remorse...Wallace is a psychopath.

Blade Runner is about humanity, and Wallace serves as a foil in that regard.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 1:23:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Highly manipulative, a strong sense of entitlement with an attitude that society's rules shouldn't apply to him, manifests cruelty without any hint of remorse...Wallace is a psychopath.

Blade Runner is about humanity, and Wallace serves as a foil in that regard.
View Quote
Should have named him Clinton.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why did Joe lie down and die on the steps.  There has to be something 'big' in that moment that I'm not getting.
No.  Could you explain it?
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 1:36:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 1:48:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's not helpful.

Please explain what you mean.
View Quote

The Pietà

A representation of Christ when he was taken off the cross.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 1:48:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That's not helpful.

Please explain what you mean.
View All Quotes
The Pieta

I get the resemblance, but I don't know that it really means anything here, unless in irony.  K/Joe turned out to be a regular Replicant, certainly not the Christ figure that he had hoped to be.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 2:03:54 PM EDT
[#19]
If I wanted to get "deep" about that scene, it resembles Pieta with the dead Jesus cradled by his mother.
There is nobody there to cradle K because he had no mother; he's just a Replicant.  The scene thus demonstrates K's humanity and inhumanity simultaneously.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Sapper is like like an old muscle car, still capable of beating most cars, but getting old. K is like a Corvette, and Luv, Wallace's right hand replicant is basically a McLaren P1/Bugatti Chiron, with no expense spared.
View Quote
The Luv character was outstanding! Small and thin, beautiful but hard edged, razor focused and yet emotional, and of course brutally lethal.

The scene when she kills the lab tech was powerful - as was her final interaction with Robin Wright's character. Luv makes it clear she despises not just lower Replicants but many humans as well. That actress is very good.

I hoped at the end she would turn (in the interests of her kind) but obviously her loyalty to Wallace was too great.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 2:06:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The Pietà

A representation of Christ when he was taken off the cross.
View Quote
Yes.

Rugerlvr should explain why he considers them connected.  Same for whatever other Christian iconography he feels he saw in 2049.

...  unless the goal is to play 20 questions.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You mean like Catholic stuff?

Oh!  Did 'K' go to heaven?
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:36:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you have the DVD watch it again.  K has a wound in his hand, a wound in his side, and a wound/blood on his forehead (these are the exact wounds of Christ).  His humanity (or possibly his super humanity) is being displayed by comparison to Christ.  He laid down his life for Deckard and his "sister".

Probably it goes deeper than that.  K sees himself as Deckard's son even though he discovers he is not.  Deckard is "God" in as much as he created a new species, and Rachel (like Mary) birthed a child which although was not a virgin birth was something of a miracle.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I fell asleep three times.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:39:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If you have the DVD watch it again.  K has a wound in his hand, a wound in his side, and a wound/blood on his forehead.  His humanity (or possibly his super humanity) is being displayed by comparison to Christ.  He laid down his life for Deckard and his "sister".

Probably it goes deeper than that.  K sees himself as Deckard's son even though he discovers he is not.  Deckard is "God" in as much as he created a new species, and Rachel (like Mary) birthed a child which although was not a virgin birth was something of a miracle.
View Quote
I have it on iTunes and have watched it probably a dozen times.  (Though not often paying attention - it's on right now, actually, in the background while I work).

I just don't see it.  He is wounded, yes.   And in those places.  But comparing him to Christ using those is a large stretch.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yes.

Rugerlvr should explain why he considers them connected.  Same for whatever other Christian iconography he feels he saw in 2049.

View Quote
You didn't notice the wound in K's side, or the lacerations on his hands?

I didn't think it could be any clearer. Has society so completely forgotten Christ?

We've already discussed K's sacrifice earlier in the thread. One poster had a damn good synopsis of how this movie's main sub-theme is sacrifice.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey...noticed a little nipple in when the girlfriend got put on "hold" in the rain

Hey at least its better than this whole biblical comparison BS
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I fell asleep three times.
View Quote
great insight.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#30]
ru
Quoted:
Hey...noticed a little nipple in when the girlfriend got put on "hold" in the rain

Hey at least its better than this whole biblical comparison BS
View Quote
Well, It's fairly clear that the director, Villeneuve, used Christ-imagery at the end, for K's "death."

You can claim that the comparison is BS, but I'll bet if you asked Villeneuve, he'd tell you that was his intention.

The same damn thing occurs in Blade Runner 2019 when Batty sticks a nail through his palm.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I have it on iTunes and have watched it probably a dozen times.  (Though not often paying attention - it's on right now, actually, in the background while I work).

I just don't see it.  He is wounded, yes.   And in those places.  But comparing him to Christ using those is a large stretch.
View Quote
It's harkening to an archetypal story.  K isn't Christ, and they aren't saying that he is Christ, but they are used that scene to show K's sacrifice for something greater than himself.  The greatest love of all (and thus what it means to be human) is to lay down your life for others.  It shows the humanity of the replicants, and the inhumanity of mankind which is doing the exact opposite - creating replicants and requiring that they lay down their lives for humans involuntarily.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 4:01:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It was a ritual. He soothed it's fear before he killed it. And he held her while she died. And the choice of how to cause her death wasn't a quick one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To establish his indifference to his creations (and his danger as a villain).  Wallace sees them as things, to be discarded like a used tissue on a whim.   As to that particular scene, I took it as a "another failure... back the drawing board" moment.
Yeah. Sort of like a blemished part coming off the injection molding machine. It gets tossed.
Well he didn't care about her feelings he was pissed her uterus didn't work so he cut her. Notice how Luv kills Joshi the same way?

C-sections for everybody!
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 4:01:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The Luv character was outstanding! Small and thin, beautiful but hard edged, razor focused and yet emotional, and of course brutally lethal.

The scene when she kills the lab tech was powerful - as was her final interaction with Robin Wright's character. Luv makes it clear she despises not just lower Replicants but many humans as well. That actress is very good.

I hoped at the end she would turn (in the interests of her kind) but obviously her loyalty to Wallace was too great.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/30143/Sylvia_Hoeks_Luv-436077.JPG
View Quote
Loyalty was not her motivation. She lived in absolute fear of her creator. Note how she trembled when he was inspecting/discarding the new model. The whole scene she was likely wondering if he was going to open her femoral too.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Watched it on the plane lastnight. Shit was retarded.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The Pieta

I get the resemblance, but I don't know that it really means anything here, unless in irony.  K/Joe turned out to be a regular Replicant, certainly not the Christ figure that he had hoped to be.
View Quote
I didn't compare him directly to Christ. I'm not that insensitive. I'm saying the imagery used, and the theme, evoke comparisons on some level, and I'm certain the filmmaker meant to do that.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
ru

Well, It's fairly clear that the director, Villeneuve, used Christ-imagery at the end, for K's "death."

You can claim that the comparison is BS, but I'll bet if you asked Villeneuve, he'd tell you that was his intention.

The same damn thing occurs in Blade Runner 2019 when Batty sticks a nail through his palm.
View Quote
I'm fine with that I was trying to derail the pissing match in this thread (that BS)
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That edit annoys the fuck out of me.
View Quote
I’m still hung up on if David Bowie performed the role instead
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 4:28:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

He thought the memory was his and wanted to be "special", Joi told him all the time he was "special". K was not the unique unicorn from the first film he was just an ordinary horse. If you look close at the horse sculpture it is a unicorn with the horn broken off.

The point was the inverse of the first movie K became special because he chose to, not because he was the "chosen one" like Rachel or Deckard. The majority of the themes dealt with free will or the lack of.
View Quote
"Removed"
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 4:40:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I didn't think it could be any clearer. Has society so completely forgotten Christ?

We've already discussed K's sacrifice earlier in the thread. One poster had a damn good synopsis of how this movie's main sub-theme is sacrifice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

its sad that so many have forgotten the sacrifices made on our behalves.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 4:51:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm not following why it anoys you.  You think the statement is false aggrandizement?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That edit annoys the fuck out of me.
I'm not following why it anoys you.  You think the statement is false aggrandizement?
I prefer "... off the back of slaves."
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

"Removed"
View Quote
?
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 4:59:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

its sad that so many have forgotten the sacrifices made on our behalves.
View Quote
....  because disagreeing with or not sharing a perceived connection between scenery in a movie and the story of Christ is somehow a reflection of the moral status of our nation.

TLDR:  Don't be ridiculous.

sheesh.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#44]
I asked a stupid question about the horse and thought better of it...
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

....  because disagreeing with or not sharing a perceived connection between scenery in a movie and the story of Christ is somehow a reflection of the moral status of our nation.

TLDR:  Don't be ridiculous.

sheesh.
View Quote
Well, your combativeness over this seems to fly in the face of 2000 years of art and literature in the west, where Christ has been a central figure, and also merely an allusion, however never forget the outsize influence of Christianity on art in general. Christ-centered themes abound in movies and have for a long time.

Like the last scene of "The Omega Man" with Charlton Heston, in 1971.

Forget not:

Link Posted: 1/30/2018 5:20:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Well he didn't care about her feelings he was pissed her uterus didn't work so he cut her. Notice how Luv kills Joshi the same way?

View Quote

Oh!  Thank you!  I watched it last night and wondered why Luv slashed Joshi the way she did before fatally stabbing her.  The slash seemed a bit "low" for tactical purposes.

Now I see how it was an act of pure malice.  It was Luv jealously striking out at something Joshi had (as a natural born woman) that Luv lacked; a functional womb.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Well, your combativeness over this seems to fly in the face of 2000 years of art and literature in the west, where Christ has been a central figure, and also merely an allusion, however never forget the outsize influence of Christianity on art in general. Christ-centered themes abound in movies and have for a long time.

Like the last scene of "The Omega Man" with Charlton Heston, in 1971.

Forget not:

http://www.cultreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/the-omega-man-5.png
View Quote
Having to point out that explaining yourself - and furthering the discussion of the thread, instead of making everyone play 20 questions to try to discern what you meant and not have to guess at it - is what I am "combative" over.

Also, K does not have a wound on his forehead in the final scene.  He does have some dried blood at his hairline from incidents earlier in the movie.

He does not have holes through his hands.  One is sliced open in the final fight scene with Joi.  It is wrapped.

He is stabbed and shot in his right side.  The gunshot is not shown.  The stab is.  In the scene he and Joi are locked together and it's the best move she can make.  He was also wounded in that area in the scene where Deckard's car was blown up.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Oh!  Thank you!  I watched it last night and wondered why Luv slashed Joshi the way she did before fatally stabbing her.  The slash seemed a bit "low" for tactical purposes.

Now I see how it was an act of pure malice.  It was Luv jealously striking out at something Joshi had (as a natural born woman) that Luv lacked; a functional womb.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think its also a reflection of her mentor, she is imitating Wallace. She kisses K after stabbing him like Wallace did as well.

K likes to drink whiskey like his mentor Joshi but I'm not sure if it is significant or not other than to humanize him (and her).
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 6:10:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I think its also a reflection of her mentor, she is imitating Wallace. She kisses K after stabbing him like Wallace did as well.

K likes to drink whiskey like his mentor Joshi but I'm not sure if it is significant or not other than to humanize him (and her).
View Quote
I think it's another device to interact with Joi.  Like the cigarette, except less 'real' because he has to drink her glass himself.

The only other time you see him drink in the movie is when Deckard offers him one.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I think it's another device to interact with Joi.  Like the cigarette, except less 'real' because he has to drink her glass himself.

The only other time you see him drink in the movie is when Deckard offers him one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He drinks with his boss at one point, I think? I believe that is what Flamicane was referring to?
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top