Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't find that lifting correlates well with actual activities.
View Quote
Do you even flex Bro?
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 1:15:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
52 and still throwing weight, running and swimming.

You DO have to make changes, and the largest ones are going to be around increasing your recovery time.

I go by how I feel.  If I feel like I need an extra day off before lifting again, I take it. Maybe I'll run instead, swim, or do a weighted tread.

My workouts take place because I feel 100% up to doing whatever I'm going to do.  The calendar never overrules me.
View Quote
This is what I have come to experience as well.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Back in the 80's I worked high rise construction and kickboxed (PKA).  I saw plenty of weight lifters who could not go one round boxing and could not do hard labor for more than 5 minutes before they were out of gas.  If all you are doing is power lifting for body building you might be a muscle bound pussy.  If your work-out does not include "a lot" of aerobic training and if your weight training does not include lots of high reps of low weights along with low reps of high weights than you might be a punk...

My twin sister is a hard-headed, know-it-all progressive, who did not listen to me when she was younger and now she has two hip replacements while I am still going strong.  Sure...  there are many dumb-assed young guys who grew up to be dumb-assed boomers but not all.  Many of the young guys complaining about boomers will grow up to be dumb-asses as well.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Why not just lift moderately? Fucking shocking right.
View Quote
Boom headshot
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 1:44:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
As someone who has lifted and loaded countless equipment and materials over rough terrain for over 30 years. I can tell you I am not. Weight training and load management are two fucking different things. I’ve seen guys who are thin as a rail outwork muscle heads. As a matter of fact we used to employ temp labor services and the lifter boyz were always the first to crap out, I got many free beers betting sgainst them. Just because your frame is fitter for load bearing doesn’t equate to you being cut out fir manual labor. I stand by it, lifting doesn’t translate well to labor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As someone who has humped and ski'd a pack and M240 through mountains and desert (to include mountain warfare school x3) I can tell you that you are horribly mistaken.
As someone who has lifted and loaded countless equipment and materials over rough terrain for over 30 years. I can tell you I am not. Weight training and load management are two fucking different things. I’ve seen guys who are thin as a rail outwork muscle heads. As a matter of fact we used to employ temp labor services and the lifter boyz were always the first to crap out, I got many free beers betting sgainst them. Just because your frame is fitter for load bearing doesn’t equate to you being cut out fir manual labor. I stand by it, lifting doesn’t translate well to labor.
Yes it does. I've seen it, I've done it. Being stronger is never a bad thing. Maybe those guys you saw weren't really that strong. Maybe they just talked a lot of shit or didn't know what they were doing.

Bottom line is if the task is "move a heavy object from point A to point B" and it involves no skill, strong wins. This also applies if you and your gear are the objects and you're in the mountains.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Teener-tard thread.  How sad you are using leftist ideology to divide people.  Boomers?  Really?  
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:05:10 PM EDT
[#7]
This thread makes me want to take the rest of the afternoon off and go to the gym.

Except that strength and cardiovascular fitness are “bad for you” or something.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:07:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Right. It’s logical to compare yourself to a pro sports athlete.

You should feel bad with such a turrible post.
View Quote
Is there any other way to be working out?
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was specific to the poster I was replying to.

I channel Ed Coan when I’m working out.

The only reason I don’t lift as much as he did is because I’m taller. Lever length and all that.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 4:13:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not a boomer, but one of the best workouts I ever had was baling hay 10 hours a day for six days straight.
View Quote
When I first ft hired at the FD my Lieutenant was a mountain of a man who had spent his youth tossing hay bales, and still worked the ranch on his days off.

My workout every shift was loading and unloading his weights !

He had a 400lb bench
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Back in the 80's I worked high rise construction and kickboxed (PKA).  I saw plenty of weight lifters who could not go one round boxing and could not do hard labor for more than 5 minutes before they were out of gas.  If all you are doing is power lifting for body building you might be a muscle bound pussy.  If your work-out does not include "a lot" of aerobic training and if your weight training does not include lots of high reps of low weights along with low reps of high weights than you might be a punk...

My twin sister is a hard-headed, know-it-all progressive, who did not listen to me when she was younger and now she has two hip replacements while I am still going strong.  Sure...  there are many dumb-assed young guys who grew up to be dumb-assed boomers but not all.  Many of the young guys complaining about boomers will grow up to be dumb-asses as well.
View Quote
power lifting for body building, nice
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 5:58:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why do you need high reps with low weights?
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
power lifting for body building, nice
View Quote
LOL, different builds, thats for sure.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 6:10:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That was specific to the poster I was replying to.

I channel Ed Coan when I’m working out.

The only reason I don’t lift as much as he did is because I’m taller. Lever length and all that.
View Quote
Everyone is taller than Ed Coan
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Weight lifting is not good for you.

Running is bad for you.

The best thing you can do is not be a lardass, avoid sugar like the plague, don't smoke, don't be an alcoholic, and stay away from drugs (legal or not).

Exercise outside of daily chores is not going to do much of anything for your health.
View Quote
We found the stupidest post of the day here fellas....
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 6:18:16 PM EDT
[#16]
If you're lucky you'll reach a certain age where a light to moderate lifting regime is recommended...The intent is not to build, it's to maintain muscle mass. You will start to atrophy otherwise, or so I've been told by several doctors.

A brisk cross country walk everyday with the pupper doesn't hurt, either.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

As someone who has humped and ski'd a pack and M240 through mountains and desert (to include mountain warfare school x3) I can tell you that you are horribly mistaken.
View Quote
See, you shouldnt have lifted. It took you 3x to get though mountain...duh....

Link Posted: 11/15/2019 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you're lucky you'll reach a certain age where a light to moderate lifting regime is recommended...The intent is not to build, it's to maintain muscle mass. You will start to atrophy otherwise, or so I've been told by several doctors.

A brisk cross country walk everyday with the pupper doesn't hurt, either.
View Quote
I'm all for walking the dog. Good to clear the mind. Good for the dog. But fuck atrophy. Find a better doc. Pin testosterone. Lift.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 6:24:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The point of working out is to become better at doing action things, not some mythical "health".
View Quote
I thought it was to look good, so you can bang more hot chicks?
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
I kinda agree. I handled certain heavy tasks better than bigger, stronger guys because I was used to those sorts of tasks. But lifting makes you stronger, and stronger is better all else being even. It is like grappling. I do BJJ. Weaker people often win, but being strong is a huge advantage. It just isn't the only factor.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So you're using professional athletes to show that stressing your body is bad?

Now lets talk about average people who don't workout for a living.

Stress is what makes your body adapt- bones get stronger, muscle grows, tendons and ligaments get stronger. NOT stressing your body makes you fucking weak and sickly, just like not stressing your brain makes you stupid and gullible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Running is bad for you.

The best thing you can do is not be a lardass, avoid sugar like the plague, don't smoke, don't be an alcoholic, and stay away from drugs (legal or not).

Exercise outside of daily chores is not going to do much of anything for your health.
Where did you get your medical degree from?
He's kind of right, the more you stress your body, the faster it breaks down, look at most sports athletes, they are walking cripples much of the time when they hit their 50's.

Stress is what makes your body adapt- bones get stronger, muscle grows, tendons and ligaments get stronger. NOT stressing your body makes you fucking weak and sickly, just like not stressing your brain makes you stupid and gullible.
Break it down, let it recover. It changes a hell of a lot when you get older. At some point you end up doing more damage then good if you push it too far.

All the sickos at work always seemed to be the jocks, they seemed to take 3-4 times the sick days then the rest of us.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My best friend who is younger than me has been doing construction for last 20+ years. His body is starting to really feel the effects of it now.
View Quote
I do construction. At 36 I have to eat an incredible volume of food to keep my waist at 34".  My body hurts all the time but I would rather hurt all the time than grow old with memories of exceptionally executed conference calls and diversity meetings.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:15:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yes it does. I've seen it, I've done it. Being stronger is never a bad thing. Maybe those guys you saw weren't really that strong. Maybe they just talked a lot of shit or didn't know what they were doing.

Bottom line is if the task is "move a heavy object from point A to point B" and it involves no skill, strong wins. This also applies if you and your gear are the objects and you're in the mountains.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true. There are many hundreds of muscle bound office workers who can bench press and squat many times what I can. I lift heavy shit all day doing construction. If they work with me they loose steam hours before I do.

Lifting 600 pounds on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday evenings as 5 sets of 15 reps doesn't give you the same stamina as lifting 200 pounds 25 times an hour and walking it 200yds from 5a-6p Monday through Friday.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:21:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Tag for further hilarity.

FWIW, 30 years in roofing here and the muscle bound guys who I’ve come across on the job are usually done by lunch. Strength is good, but pointless with some balance.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Break it down, let it recover. It changes a hell of a lot when you get older. At some point you end up doing more damage then good if you push it too far.

All the sickos at work always seemed to be the jocks, they seemed to take 3-4 times the sick days then the rest of us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Running is bad for you.

He's kind of right, the more you stress your body, the faster it breaks down, look at most sports athletes, they are walking cripples much of the time when they hit their 50's.

This sounds like an argument based on feels. Cite your science.

#liberallogic
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#26]
1). Be kind to your knees. You will miss them when they are gone.
2). Old school farming and ranching was akin to 10hr a day CrossFit.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Running is bad for you.

View Quote
That's wildly incorrect.

Getting stronger keeps you safer during labor.

Deadlifts made my back pain essentially disappear.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:51:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Running is bad for you.

Eating right and keeping carbs and sugars down is probably the easiest and best way to keep you healthy and your weight down. I do lift 4-5 times a week but most are with medium weights and 15-20 reps for 3 sets. I can feel it but I feel good the next day.

I'm down a bit over 80 lb's, most of it was due to diet change, not exercising more. [though I do]

Like those guys that say "You shouldn't lift heavy, look at Ronnie Coleman now"

Ronnie Coleman was on so much juice he could outlift what his frame was ever capable of, and he did it for years. The average dude trying to get like a 315 squat isn't going to end up like Ronnie Coleman.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My best friend who is younger than me has been doing construction for last 20+ years. His body is starting to really feel the effects of it now.
View Quote
Construction wears you the fuck out, lifting for a few hours a week has nothing on it as far as damage over time goes.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:55:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same, if you take two guys with the same drive to work and experience the stronger one is going to be the better worker every time.

Now take a strong but green guy compared to a seasoned laborer, and of course it will take him some time to adjust, but as long as he has some kind of drive to actually work he'll end up surpassing the seasoned guy as far as productivity.

The drive of course is a huge factor, without it anyone can turn into a shitty laborer, I've seen guys of all shapes and sizes wash out on day one on a concrete crew.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:00:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Construction wears you the fuck out, lifting for a few hours a week has nothing on it as far as damage over time goes.
View Quote
As mentioned, I’ve been roofing for 30 years. Ten years ago at 40 I was beat to shit. I started structured exercise for the first time in my life and now 10 years later I’m in the best shape of my life. Weight lifting was a big part of that. You just have to know your limits.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I do construction. At 36 I have to eat an incredible volume of food to keep my waist at 34".  My body hurts all the time but I would rather hurt all the time than grow old with memories of exceptionally executed conference calls and diversity meetings.
View Quote
How do you know me?
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Running is bad for you.

View Quote
I don't believe you...

That said, everything in moderation.  Beat your body up through sports or serious running/lifting, and you MAY end up having issues when you are older.

Do nothing?  You'll end up being either a lardass or "skinny-fat" with no muscle tone.

For me personally, I feel like crap if I don't work out.  Joints ache, the mind gets less sharp, etc...An hour in the gym 3-4 days a week doing a mix of cardio and weights makes me feel 10-15 years younger.  Your body and your mind NEEDS exercise
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
“Lifting weights will destroy your joints and skeleton, do yard work and go far a jog instead.”
View Quote
Your thread title is insulting. Don't be a child.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:08:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The point of working out is to become better at doing action things, not some mythical "health".
Isn't "banging hot chicks" one of the "action things" we should ALL strive to be better at?
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:09:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Just turned 62 WTF I work out every other day , Jump rope  and hit the heavy bag.
I'm trying to stay frosty. My wife is 8 years younger then me.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:10:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
How do you know me?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you know me?
Are you guys doing any exercise or taking any supplements?

I'm 33 and although 15 years of it is starting to catch up, I'm not in pain every day or other old man problems, I get a few injuries each year but tend to heal up quick enough. We did 100+ yards of concrete today, I feel okay tonight.

I lift through most of the year (much more in the fall and winter, and way less through summer), take fish oil, magnesium and vitamin D and try to get lots of sleep.

I honestly feel better than I did in my mid 20s while doing the same work.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:14:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I know a lot of fat people, that crippled themselves from being fat, but don't know anybody who crippled themselves from working out too much.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:24:44 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm 56 and here is my "born in 1963 workout"

I do beer curls for my biceps, and "beat off" to develop my right forearm.

My my leg workout involves squatting down onto the toilet to take a crap, then raising back up when I'm finished, and my legs are numb and tingly because I sat for 45 minutes.

I have well developed ab muscles hidden by fat, my abs are developed from straining "at the stool" because I'm usually constipated.

I have well developed jaw muscles from grinding my teeth because that's how I roll..

I don't use skin protection, I shave my head, I refuse to wear a hat and have sexy looking liver spots on my forehead..

I'm also missing most of my teeth thanks to years of grinding my teeth (they crack, I have them pulled, implant's are for hairy dripping pussies)

My pecs are large but covered by fat, sometimes my teats are sensitive. My prostate is also large, I don't have time to milk-it, so it does it's own thing..
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
OP makes a thread making fun of Boomer fitness logic, and inevitably it fills up with Boomers sharing their shitty fitness advice.
View Quote
Worst advice given by that lardass, tippytoe
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:45:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Are you guys doing any exercise or taking any supplements?

I'm 33 and although 15 years of it is starting to catch up, I'm not in pain every day or other old man problems, I get a few injuries each year but tend to heal up quick enough. We did 100+ yards of concrete today, I feel okay tonight.

I lift through most of the year (much more in the fall and winter, and way less through summer), take fish oil, magnesium and vitamin D and try to get lots of sleep.

I honestly feel better than I did in my mid 20s while doing the same work.
View Quote
Hats off to you on working concrete AND lifting. Ox achievement unlocked.

I lift 2-3 times a week depending on how hard I push myself and how I feel the next day. Cardio is a mix of jogging, trail running, rucking, kettlebell work, and occasionally mountain biking 2-3 times a week, again, depending on how hard I push myself and feel the next day.

I'm 49 and find that I am a little slower than I used to be. A five mile run in 35-40 minutes at 40 was no problem. Now it's 45 minutes and that's work. I do much more extensive warmups before workouts and stretches after. When I don't, things tighten up and hurt. Supplement with magnesium, vitamin D, and taurine. Knees and back both have some degenerative processes going, but docs and I are aware and all is OK to keep going.

I also live on a small farm, so there are days and weeks where there is marathon manual labor.

I read The Barbell Prescription, which riffs off Starting Strength and makes a very compelling case for why geezers need to keep doing strength training, but with a keen focus on avoiding injury.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:47:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
“Lifting weights will destroy your joints and skeleton, do yard work and go far a jog instead.”
View Quote
i HAVE ARTHRITIS IN EVERY JOINT i HAVE i AM BONE ON BONE IN BOTH KNEES  NO CARTRIDGE LEFT.

iF YOU WANT MY GEN X opinion all working out is stupid.  there is no reason to do any of it
unless you have some self concept problems and cannot sleep unless you abuse your body daily.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:52:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
i HAVE ARTHRITIS IN EVERY JOINT i HAVE i AM BONE ON BONE IN BOTH KNEES  NO CARTRIDGE LEFT.

iF YOU WANT MY GEN X opinion all working out is stupid.  there is no reason to do any of it
unless you have some self concept problems and cannot sleep unless you abuse your body daily.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry you lost the gene lottery, but that's no reason for everyone else to be weak and in ill health
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:53:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm a boomer.
I quit lifting when I screwed up and ruptured and totally separated the upper bicep tendon from my shoulder (prior to that I lifted for for about 20 years).
I quit jogging when my knees finally gave out (prior to that I jogged for 40 years).
These days I hike and mountain bike - seems to work for me at 63.
View Quote
Shoot, Mateusz Kieliszkowski tore his bicep off his bone during competition and went on to win World’s Ultimate Strongman last month.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:53:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
anyone do yoga?
View Quote
My wife does.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:55:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My wife does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
anyone do yoga?
My wife does.
I do... But I call it “mobility” aka physical therapy.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:58:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You forgot to add that bailing is one of the shittiest jobs on the planet.
View Quote
I used to think that as well until I worked on a potato farm.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:59:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Yoga, and more importantly,  Yoga Pants
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Not a boomer, but one of the best workouts I ever had was baling hay 10 hours a day for six days straight.
View Quote
I concur. You are real tired at the end of the day, but it's a good kind of tired.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 9:14:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I don't lift anywhere what I used to.

In June, we moved to a new house and I did most of the moving/lifting, except for one day, I needed a co-worker to help with the furniture / two-man lift items.

He is a regular gym lifter,4 days/week, and quite strong, squats...deadlifts, etc. etc.  Also physically much larger and taller than I am.

I am not bragging or trying to big myself up, the moving whipped his ass far more than it did me.  I was shocked at how he was struggling.

Over the last year or so, most of my exercise has come from yard work, tree cutting, moving, and general physical activity, versus repetitive lifting exercise.

Does this mean that lifting is bad or useless, of course not.  What I think it means is that mixing regimented exercise with manual labor tasks will strike a balance of physical appearance and useful strength and stamina.
View Quote
How you workout will have a huge effect on stamina also.

Someone whose only goal is to gain strength and put more weight on the bar, tends to work with low reps and loooonnnng rests.  They may be able to lift a bunch of weight a few times, but as you saw, they gas out pretty quick.

Someone who does high reps, supersets, and 30 sec rests will have a lot more stamina.  But they will probably not be quite as strong.
Page / 5
Top Top