Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 1/30/2024 4:08:23 PM EDT
After finishing my wet bar build in the fall, I've been gradually educating myself and stocking it with different liquors.  Now I'm on bourbon.  Never was a fan but I'm forcing myself to try different ones.  While I didn't experience it with vodka, gin, tequila, or scotch....bourbon seems to be a squirrely game for sure!!

Was told to try Buffalo Trace.  Didn't realize the world of intensity I was walking into!  Called a couple liquor stores looking for it last week....nope.  Walked into the liquor store near my house today and boy did I get an ear full!!

PA state controls ALL liquor sales.  So I'm used to looking on the PA state website and it shows what stores have what bottles of whatever.  Not the case with some of the more sought after bourbons!!  The manager said they took them off the website because the following was too extreme.  So now the ONLY way he could tell me to check is to call each store individually and see if they have it.  And also said unless they have it, they can't scan it in the system to see what the surrounding stores have.  

Next he said when they do get 5-6 cases of it....it's gone within 2-3 HOURS!!  I asked for more info and he said that there are "leaks" and "info comes from somewhere to let people know ahead of shipments prior to their delivery and then guys line up outside in the morning."  He said it's even worse for Blanton's!  

So not listed anywhere, people somehow know ahead of the delivery, and there's no way the state could share about acquiring a bottle short of waiting outside of each store prior to opening on both delivery days....and each store in my area has different days.  

What the actual fuck??   Does this make sense to anyone else as to why the Black Friday culture surrounds this stuff???  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Allocated bourbon is serious business, I've been praying for the trend to die so that the market comes back to normal.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:13:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Buffalo Trace is a good daily sipper but it's not worth that hassle.

Move on to something more readily available.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Bourbon hipsters are everywhere.

Heck, I drank bourbon before it was cool again.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, good bourbon is sought after like no other liquor in the country.  The exclusivity of it is insane.  People regularly enter drawings to be allowed to buy liquors at shelf price, which are sold on the “secondary market” for three or ten times that price.  If you want to really wonder “WTF” go look what the Blantons and other sought after bottles are sold for online.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:15:40 PM EDT
[#5]
That's fucked up, man. My local sportsbar has Buffalo Trace, and I think a couple of the steakhouses do, too.

I prefer Woodford, so I haven't been paying attention at the stores.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Rum > Bourbon

Thank me!

/Thread
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm glad we don't have that shit here in Tennessee.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Virginia is similar in that the only place you can buy liquor is state run stores.

There was a scandal a year ago, or so, where a state employee was regularly leaking what stores got what bottles ahead of their release to a guy who bribed him. That guy was then selling memberships for access to the weekly list.

People got fired and even went to jail over it, I think.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rum > Bourbon

Thank me!

/Thread
View Quote

I bought two  bottles of Pussers gunpowder proof British navy rum a few months ago. I wanted to try old style grog. I haven't opened one yet.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#10]
The allocated bourbon chase is insane.

Years ago I got an email from liquor barn that they were having their pappy drawing.  Something like 1200 bottles for one store.

Drive the wife and grabbed a ticket.
Won a bottle of 10 year old rip.  $70.

One guy walked out before us with a bottle of 23 year pappy.  
He sold it in the parking lot for $3000.

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Buffalo trace makes good bourbon, most all of their sub-brands are good to great, especially at their normal MSRP prices.

But they became the darling of the Taters because they make the Pappy Van Winkle products, which are extremely over hyped and sought after, so the trickle down effect of everything else they make being "some such almost as good as Pappy" made the demand skyrocket.  And secondly, they really didn't have huge output numbers of their products a few years ago.  They recently added more capacity and in a few years they'll be able to return on that, but at their size and the fact they make like 30 different whiskies means they really can't keep up with their newfound popularity for each product.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:21:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Damn lol. Both of those are easily available at the World Liquor store in KCMO. Call em. Maybe they can ship you bottle? Idk if your state will allow it.

Ask for Brian
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:21:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Years ago I got an email from liquor barn that they were having their pappy drawing.  Something like 1200 bottles for one store.

View Quote

That's pretty incredible.  I've never seen a store get that much.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. Four roses single barrel and small batch is excellent and readily available.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That's fucked up, man. My local sportsbar has Buffalo Trace, and I think a couple of the steakhouses do, too.

I prefer Woodford, so I haven't been paying attention at the stores.
View Quote

Woodford is better than Trace
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:24:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I like to come into bourbon threads just to win them and leave

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:26:30 PM EDT
[#17]
You should research availability in surrounding states where alcohol is not sold in state run stores.

Here in Houston, Buffalo Trace is a commodity.  Walk into a Specs store and you'll most likely see a shelf or two full of it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:28:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This. Four roses single barrel and small batch is excellent and readily available.
View Quote

Four Roses is bottom shelf (literally) here in PA.  Figured it for budget/bum booze.  So it's pretty good?  Lots of that on the shelf here!  

I feel like I should snap a few pics of the selection at the store and let the experts tell me which to get.  I started a thread recently looking for a mixing bourbon and ended up with Woodford Double Oak.  However, then a true connoisseur came to my home and said that was way too good to mix.  So I'm still trying to figure this game out.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:29:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ha! Yeah, I have to get a friend in Tennessee to get me certain things when needed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, but until TN allowed wine sales in stores at was pretty messed up. You could only get wine and liquor at a package store but you had to go to a grocery store or convenience store to buy beer. Plus, we can't buy liquor online.

Still beats having state liquor stores and allotments, though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You should research availability in surrounding states where alcohol is not sold in state run stores.

Here in Houston, Buffalo Trace is a commodity.  Walk into a Specs store and you'll most likely see a shelf or two full of it.
View Quote

Did that.  Jersey stores just over the border told me about the same at PA.  Never know when it's coming, sells out quickly, and to call or just show up on the delivery day.  

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/421435/9555E986-4A59-4F94-BD4B-D40C1B14F5AD_jpe-3112848.JPG
View Quote

Your win streak may be ending.

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Sorry dude its dumb, I’m in PA too. I used to buy Elmer T Lee as my average bourbon, used to keep 2-3 on hand just because. Then I got busy running a brewery and barely touched liquor or drank at home because of being around alcohol in some form most of the day.

When I finally wanted to relax again with a cocktail was about to open my last bottle of Elmer, I went to try and buy 2-3 more. That’s when I found out that along with covid insanity I couldn’t even get my bourbon of choice anymore.

I am happy to drink some Old Forester 1897 and 1910 as well as Turkey Rye 101. New Riff Single Barrel Barrel strength was pretty good last time I got it too.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep...I won a 12-year Pappy last year and am still getting offers all the time - about 10 times what I paid for it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I usually pickup some buffalo trace from Specs, if they have it, when I stop by.  Usually 22-24 bucks a bottle and is good stuff.  

I also have four roses, four roses small batch, WY whiskey, and some High West bourbon that I like pretty good.  Don't really drink enough of it these days, but bourbon doesn't go bad so far as I know
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Bourbon is over rated. Drink Rye.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Four Roses is bottom shelf (literally) here in PA.  Figured it for budget/bum booze.  So it's pretty good?  Lots of that on the shelf here!  

I feel like I should snap a few pics of the selection at the store and let the experts tell me which to get.  I started a thread recently looking for a mixing bourbon and ended up with Woodford Double Oak.  However, then a true connoisseur came to my home and said that was way too good to mix.  So I'm still trying to figure this game out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another vote for Four Roses.  Good stuff.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Bourbon world is insane.  You're stuck in the state controlled liquor system so there is really no way to massage the system.  I've had buddies who go to 2 or 3 shops, spend money on things other than bourbon and when they get a good bourbon they sample it with the employees - that is how he was able to pull a bunch of highly sought after bottles this bourbon season.  Go look into the purple topped bottles of Willet - those things sell for around $100/year of age.  Shop told me they bought a barrel that was around $100,000!

If someone could figure out how to take the insanity around bourbon and generate that in another sector of the liquor market, they could make a ton of money.

My suggestion - grab a bottle from all the major distilleries because they are all a little different.

Buffalo Trace distillery - Buffalo Trace or EH Taylor Small Batch (harder to find)
Jim Beam distillery - Knob Creek 9 yr
Heaven Hill - Elijah Craig
Four Roses - Small Batch Select
Old Forester - Old Forester 1910
Wild Turkey - Russel's Reserve 10 yr
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes

Wahahahahaha!  ??

Yup ??
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Buffalo Trace is good, but there are better bourbons for the same/cheaper price with better availability.

Hipsters caught on to Buffalo Trace and that's why it's scarce....not because it's some fantastic bourbon that everyone has to have.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

QFT!!!

BT isn't worth the hassle when there are plenty of other amazing bourbons sitting on the shelf. Woodford, Bulleit, Maker's 46 and Basil Hayden are always available and should be considered as a standard in any bourbon collection.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:37:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/421435/9555E986-4A59-4F94-BD4B-D40C1B14F5AD_jpe-3112848.JPG
View Quote

Are you going to drink it or just clean dust off it every few weeks?
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Buffalo trace makes good bourbon, most all of their sub-brands are good to great, especially at their normal MSRP prices.

But they became the darling of the Taters because they make the Pappy Van Winkle products, which are extremely over hyped and sought after, so the trickle down effect of everything else they make being "some such almost as good as Pappy" made the demand skyrocket.  And secondly, they really didn't have huge output numbers of their products a few years ago.  They recently added more capacity and in a few years they'll be able to return on that, but at their size and the fact they make like 30 different whiskies means they really can't keep up with their newfound popularity for each product.
View Quote

And they even had a storehouse burn down, correct?  Or was that a fable?
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:38:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Buffalo Trace is good, but there are better bourbons for the same/cheaper price with better availability.

Hipsters caught on to Buffalo Trace and that's why it's scarce....not because it's some fantastic bourbon that everyone has to have.
View Quote

It was pretty scarce once folks heard it was good, back when it was about $20/750ml.  Hipsters just take it to a new level.

Cousin who was a hipster before it had a name was drinking Evans Williams at about $11/750ml with his girl pant wearing hipster friends back in the day.  It was amusing to me
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm in PA as well and someone told me about the Unicorn Auctions app.

I've used it twice and had the bottles sent me.

I won a Weller green and a Bakers 10 for shits and giggles just to see if it worked and it did.

Haven't done much with it since, but it is an option.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#38]
when I was drinking I bought Blantons all day long for 49-59 a bottle.

This bourbon craze is interesting and somewhat amusing to watch.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The basic Four Roses is ok, small batch is pretty good and the single barrel is very good. The bottom shelf stuff your seeing is probably the basic one.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:40:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Four Roses Single Barrel, Small Batch, and Small Batch Select are not bottom shelf.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:40:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Not every store in PA gets the harder to find items either. Keep that in mind. They have to be Chairman selection stores or something.

There is one store in my entire county that gets stuff from Buffalo Trace Or anything hard to find. The trucks come on Wednesdays so there is a line Thursday morning and it's all gone within an hour or so. Usually only a couple cases and it's always Eagle Rare, Blantons and buffalo trace. The local bars and other places send workers to stand in line and buy the limit as well.

I don't even bother anymore. Not worth the hassle, just as good or better options out there and usually cheaper.

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

QFT!!!

BT isn't worth the hassle when there are plenty of other amazing bourbons sitting on the shelf. Woodford, Bulleit, Maker's 46 and Basil Hayden are always available and should be considered as a standard in any bourbon collection.
View Quote

Basil Hayden is al excellent choice for a new Bourbon drinker.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:42:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
when I was drinking I bought Blantons all day long for 49-59 a bottle.

This bourbon craze is interesting and somewhat amusing to watch.
View Quote

It's crazy how long the craze has lasted. I keep expecting/hoping that the cool kids will move on to something else, but they don't.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:43:29 PM EDT
[#44]
If i am going to that much hassle its gonna be for better than buffalo trace.
I typically do woodford double oak. I will probably make a total wine run in the next month or 2
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm in PA as well and someone told me about the Unicorn Auctions app.

I've used it twice and had the bottles sent me.

I won a Weller green and a Bakers 10 for shits and giggles just to see if it worked and it did.

Haven't done much with it since, but it is an option.
View Quote

Unicorn Auctions.... I'll have to look into that.  No clue what it is or how it'd work but I'm just hoping I develop a fondness for bourbon. lol   The tequila world is SOOOO much easier!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:44:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Buffalo trace has been pretty readily available around me for a while.  

I have not seen it in PA until rifle season this year.  What part of the state are you in? If NW, I can probably help you out.

Honestly, you find a place a taste a few different kinds.  

I hate woodford, but plenty love it.  I don't care for Weller 107, but I have a buddy that loves it, so I get it for him. Weller Full Proof however, is probably my favorite.  I have had pappy, and was not impressed for the price.  My most recent favorite is Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond.  DAMN GOOD for $50.  Everyone is different.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:46:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Not every store in PA gets the harder to find items either. Keep that in mind. They have to be Chairman selection stores or something.

There is one store in my entire county that gets stuff from Buffalo Trace Or anything hard to find. The trucks come on Wednesdays so there is a line Thursday morning and it's all gone within an hour or so. Usually only a couple cases and it's always Eagle Rare, Blantons and buffalo trace. The local bars and other places send workers to stand in line and buy the limit as well.

I don't even bother anymore. Not worth the hassle, just as good or better options out there and usually cheaper.

View Quote

Premium stores is what I was told.  I'm in the LV area and we have 4 of them.  

I just joined the local FB group and right away I'm seeing a good friend with some sort of direct link to the deliveries.  Even the bourbon snobs were baffled how he was able to land three Buffalo Trace, two Taylors and a Blantons.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#48]
And all the hipsters raving about Buffalo Trace…. it used to be the well bourbon in some of the establishments I frequented.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#49]
The Buffalo Trace Website has an availability page.  You can check it daily to see when Blanton's, EH, Eagle Rare or Wellers etc  is in stock at the distillery.  I know that doesn't help out of towners
but maybe you have family or a friend in the area?
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#50]
buy a $20 bottle of Early Times and be happy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top