Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 9:31:11 AM EDT
[#1]
It’s been covered a lot but any situation that means I have to give up all but what I can carry, nothing says where I’m going is better than where I’m at.

People are pack animals because we CAN’T do it all ourselves. No matter how good. We only exist right now because of industrial and agricultural revolutions. If that goes away we need to be small tribes and be helpful.

But yeah suppressed 22 with thermal means walled fortifications would eventually be needed, and all the security requirements come with it.

Fixed fortifications are a testament to the stupidity of man.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 9:36:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of the considerations when we were shopping for a house was never having to "bug out."  

We don't get hurricanes, floods or earthquakes.  Far enough away from large urban areas so as to no have to worry about roving gangs of zombies.  Not close to any major rail lines.  

We never have problems with wildfires.  For those who don't know, the Great Lakes create their own weather systems, so it would never get that dry.

Sure an airplane could fall out of the sky or a rogue tornado could pop up, but the most likely outcome would be mild, not "finger of God" damage.

If there was ever a situation where we'd have to leave, it would be due to a scale of human calamity never seen in history.  And in that case, all bets are off, anyways.  Not worth planning, or even expending thought.

I plan to die in this house.  Whether by natural, or unnatural, causes.
View Quote

The deadliest wildfire in the history of the country was right on the Great Lakes. There are drought and wildfire seasons there comparable to the west, they are just typically longer cycles. There are also tornados and extremely severe thunderstorms. You also have to maintain a constant heat source and feed it in that region.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:24:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm not sure what your area is like, but we don't have a meth/crackhead/delinquent problem in this area. What we do have is hundreds of folks that are related or have known each other for many years, and have a common goal to survive. We can depend on each other. The people you describe are few but known, and will not last long if they try to prey on others. Sounds like you may have some concerns where you are though.
View Quote

I don't have those concerns where I'm at now (it is one of the reasons why I'm bugging in), but I grew up poor in other locations. Shitbirds come in all shapes, sizes, and colors.

Now, that roadblock might work for you in your situation (and maybe a few others could be similar), but not everyone that is rural can (or should) set up a roadblock.  And it is a very narrow situation where than can work.

You can set up a roadblock for some goofy Antifa/BLM/Rainbow/Day of Rage protest as a show of force with LEO by your side.  But if large groups of people are actually starving and desperate enough to leave their homes for the unknown, you need to think hard about how you want to man that roadblock, and what you are willing to do to enforce it, while being away from your own home.

Are you willing to shoot up a car full of people that try to get past the roadblock (including women and children) to get to their destination (especially if their destination is AWAY from the chaos behind them)?  What if it is 3 or 4 cars?  10 cars?  How long are you going to be out there?

Basically, if shit is truly breaking down, it is a terrible idea.  I can't imagine that first encounter with a car or two, and you are telling someone they can't go down this road.   They say, "my family is hungry, the kids are scared, and we are low and gas.  I'm just trying to get away from "X", or trying to get to "X" and this is the fastest route."
You have now placed yourself in a confrontation if/when they start driving around your roadblock because they are more desperate than you.  Are you pulling the trigger first to stop them?  What if they are armed?   Are YOU going to start a potential shoot-out?  

Maybe and unmanned roadblock is better, and you just keep an eye on strangers that are passing through....from a safe distance.

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Wait, What?
All that bitching and moaning from you over the last two years about how you don't have two nickels to rub together, and you have been sitting on 200 acres?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm in the country and staying put.

I have 200 acres, two creeks, a pond and a functional old school well. I’m staying put. If SHTF occurs, sister wives may bathe and apply for citizenship.

Wait, What?
All that bitching and moaning from you over the last two years about how you don't have two nickels to rub together, and you have been sitting on 200 acres?

"Land rich, cash poor" is a thing sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 1:07:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How did the mountain men do it if it's not possible?
View Quote

There were fewer of them trying to use a limited resource that was a lot less limited then.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 1:08:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Bugging out is also called "being a refugee".

sometimes it's the only option.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 1:09:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Unless my neighborhood is destroyed I’m staying put.

I’m surrounded by hundreds of mostly like minded people …the majority of which I know very well.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#8]
LOL, guys in the country thinking they have it made.  Every neighbor you ever had a dispute with, every trespasser you ever kicked off your property, the sociopath that feels unrestrained, and the jealous guy that covets your wife, truck, etc.. will be waiting with his deer rifle in the tree line to pop you in the chest when you walk outside to take a piss one morning.  

That doesn't even count the outsiders that will learn really quick not to ask for help but to take what they need.  Shooting first and never asking questions.

And like someone else mentioned, plenty of shitty family members that'll shoot you in the back also.

Those neighbors you have teamed up with that have three to six months of food stored up...  What happens if you only have one or two, or six to eight.  There's another gun fight.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 2:11:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
LOL, guys in the country thinking they have it made.  Every neighbor you ever had a dispute with, every trespasser you ever kicked off your property, the sociopath that feels unrestrained, and the jealous guy that covets your wife, truck, etc.. will be waiting with his deer rifle in the tree line to pop you in the chest when you walk outside to take a piss one morning.  

View Quote

1. Where do you live that you have all those problems?  I get along great with my neighbors and I've never had any tresspassers.

2. Why the hell would I go outside to take a piss?
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 2:52:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I wasn't planning on it, but honestly, this makes no sense.
Are you manning road blocks 24 hours a day for weeks on end?
For folks that are meeting family in the county (pre-determined plan), or have land there, are you blocking them out by setting up a road-block on a public road?  Better be careful with who you try that with as it seems like a really good way to get yourself unnecessarily deaded really early in this conflict.  

Are you ready to shoot on sight to to defend that road block?

Rule #1 in SHTF, avoid confrontation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck in your suburbs, don't bother trying to come out in the country. We'll have the local roads blocked off so anyone raiding for food will have to come on foot thru open fields.

For folks that are meeting family in the county (pre-determined plan), or have land there, are you blocking them out by setting up a road-block on a public road?  Better be careful with who you try that with as it seems like a really good way to get yourself unnecessarily deaded really early in this conflict.  

Well one thing I have learned from these threads on GD is that rural folks are a mix of Navy Seal and Surviorman, or maybe Omega Man.  Most are loaded down with the latest high tech gear and preps.  They kill at 1000 yards with zero remorse.  And they are tightly integrated into death squads.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 3:17:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 3:24:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Well one thing I have learned from these threads on GD is that rural folks are a mix of Navy Seal and Surviorman, or maybe Omega Man.  Most are loaded down with the latest high tech gear and preps.  They kill at 1000 yards with zero remorse.  And they are tightly integrated into death squads.
View Quote
and we build the best roadblocks you've ever seen...they will be yuuugge
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 3:34:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

1. Where do you live that you have all those problems?  I get along great with my neighbors and I've never had any tresspassers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, he's not entirely wrong.  I wouldn't trust another human in a SHTF scenario.  Folks that live in the country are going to have weapons, ammo, and food.  Every home in the country is a treasure chest waiting to be opened, and your neighbors 1/2 mile down the road aren't going to hear the thumps of gunfire in your abode at the wee hours of the morning.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well, he's not entirely wrong.  I wouldn't trust another human in a SHTF scenario.  Folks that live in the country are going to have weapons, ammo, and food.  Every home in the country is a treasure chest waiting to be opened, and your neighbors 1/2 mile down the road aren't going to hear the thumps of gunfire in your abode at the wee hours of the morning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh hell yes, they would.  I can hear gunfire from the BLM land miles away.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#15]
what about an RV? Fully loaded with supplies. Either class B type you drive or a trailer type you pull with a tow vehicle.

Even then, I get it. the rest of the points apply. You can take only so much with you and eventually even those supplies will run out.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#16]
This thread is 99% paranoid fantasies.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 7:59:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
what about an RV? Fully loaded with supplies. Either class B type you drive or a trailer type you pull with a tow vehicle.

Even then, I get it. the rest of the points apply. You can take only so much with you and eventually even those supplies will run out.
View Quote

Where are you going to take it to be in a safe location? Your still an affluent refugee.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#18]
If you people could just please stay put. There ain't nothing out here for you.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Bugging out would suck. It's not even November yet.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196752/IMG_4471_jpeg-3008341.JPG
View Quote
That is definitely a feature not a bug.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That doesn't even count the outsiders that will learn really quick not to ask for help but to take what they need.  Shooting first and never asking questions.

And like someone else mentioned, plenty of shitty family members that'll shoot you in the back also.

Those neighbors you have teamed up with that have three to six months of food stored up...  What happens if you only have one or two, or six to eight.  There's another gun fight.
View Quote

The best option, really, the only one is you develop a armed neighborhood, and you share what you have to the best of your ability, or with your close Ally’s you band together with, and be a team. You can’t survive on your own for long, you NEED manpower. You need armed people keeping watch, to man a roadblock to keep undesirable people out, while you work your garden, fix your truck, etc, otherwise some tard with a mosin will shoot you in your back and take your shit. Thinking you can sit in your rural house , well stocked and fat while your neighbors starve won’t last long, so, better to stock a lot of extra to help feed your neighbors, than have them hate your guts because you won’t share.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you people could just please stay put. There ain't nothing out here for you.
View Quote

Where's "here?"
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The best option, really, the only one is you develop a armed neighborhood, and you share what you have to the best of your ability, or with your close Ally’s you band together with, and be a team. You can’t survive on your own for long, you NEED manpower. You need armed people keeping watch, to man a roadblock to keep undesirable people out, while you work your garden, fix your truck, etc, otherwise some tard with a mosin will shoot you in your back and take your shit. Thinking you can sit in your rural house , well stocked and fat while your neighbors starve won’t last long, so, better to stock a lot of extra to help feed your neighbors, than have them hate your guts because you won’t share.
View Quote

It blows my mind that people seem to think only prepper types will have food in rural areas.  EVERYONE around here grows food, has chickens, some have goats.  They all have wells and septic tanks and most have generators and keep a lot of fuel for them.  What kind of fucked up rural area has people with no food or water?
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It blows my mind that people seem to think only prepper types will have food in rural areas.  EVERYONE around here grows food, has chickens, some have goats.  They all have wells and septic tanks and most have generators and keep a lot of fuel for them.  What kind of fucked up rural area has people with no food or water?
View Quote

People with no food or water? That’s likely public info. See what percentage of your county is on public assistance. There is your answer.

Here in my county it’s a decent chunk of people. After the church food pantries run dry a few of them will be an issue. However, it won’t last long.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 8:53:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

People with no food or water? That’s likely public info. See what percentage of your county is on public assistance. There is your answer.

Here in my county it’s a decent chunk of people. After the church food pantries run dry a few of them will be an issue. However, it won’t last long.
View Quote

Counties are pretty spread-out things here, with lots of land and not very many people.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#25]
An RV is the opposite of being the "gray man".

Nothing screams take what I got like an RV.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Counties are pretty spread-out things here, with lots of land and not very many people.
View Quote

I imagine so. We are a big county and a lot of us have property. But we have a couple of small towns, and I do mean small, that collect the shitheads. Plus let’s be honest, there are just some white trash assholes that live rural as well.

I guess the one advantage we have is that everyone knows who the assholes are.

If it all collapses or even mostly collapses, then none of us will be immune from violence. But, I like my odds being rural far more than an urban environment.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Anyone who has ever “Bugged out” during a hurricane knows this 30-50 mile idea is bullshit. Entire REGIONS of the country are on the move-roadways are gridlocked….you are not going anywhere. A spilled box of roofing nails on I-95 through SC shuts down the entire east coast.

Rated BS.
View Quote

Hurricane area friend here, and you’re right. Especially if you live in places like New Orleans or Houston, with very few roads out when you consider the population.

No thanks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 9:08:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you notice, it’s a bunch of suburban guys inventing problems in their head that they think rural people might face, using made up caricatures of what they think rural life is like.

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Money in the bank will be worthless by the time you'll need to "bug out".

All you have for "your land" is a deed that says the sherrif will throw someone off of it. Owning land is worthless. They will take it, whoever "they" is at the time.

Only reason roadblocks work is that the blockees arn't willing to kill the blockers. That will not last.

How many hours can you use your nightvision before the batteries are gone?

Any lights at night is just a invitation to death.

It won't happen suddenly. You'll be talking about "maybe we should leave"? for days weeks  before you leave to Aunt Marthas.

Food will be the issue that kills you or saves you.

It COULD happen. Volcano could cause crop failures worldwide. Asteroid strike. Civil disorder even. There will be no combat like clearing rooms or houses.

Learn skills to contribute to your group that will take you in. Canning. Sewing. Washing. Everything Aunt Martha did during the depression.

Everyone will lose weight and be in much better shape. Don't worry about your health.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 9:21:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If you notice, it’s a bunch of suburban guys inventing problems in their head that they think rural people might face, using made up caricatures of what they think rural life is like.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that's the impression I get, too.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:08:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If you notice, it's a bunch of suburban guys inventing problems in their head that they think rural people might face, using made up caricatures of what they think rural life is like.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you notice, it's a bunch of suburban guys inventing problems in their head that they think rural people might face, using made up caricatures of what they think rural life is like.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/31/2023 3:37:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Most ARFCOMMers are going to die in a true SHTF.

If you can't run a mile, do 50 pushups and 50 sit ups, you are going to die.

View Quote

And the city folk and urbanites, with more then likely sedentary lifestyles, no sense of direction, literally and figuratively, can't change a tire,.... Orders their meals through an app.... Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera Are going to be the ones to do it!

All with a scoped 22 sniper gun, that they've probably never shot before nor held a gun and more then likely pre shtf held the belief that no one should have firearms!

Gonna kilt you and all your family, butcher your cattle and deer!

Wonder if they know how to dress what they kill?
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 3:45:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck in your suburbs, don't bother trying to come out in the country. We'll have the local roads blocked off so anyone raiding for food will have to come on foot thru open fields.

Well one thing I learn from these threads is that apparently the freebooter will always wins! So maybe I'll just become one of them SHTF.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 3:47:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly!
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 3:49:20 AM EDT
[#35]
LOL.  Shelter in place, wait for the nonsense to subside.  Gonna be a lot of starving desperate people, and once all that ends, you will be free to move about.  Otherwise you will be in the logjam of the 1 million others trying to flee to parts unknown.  Have a plan.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 5:25:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

And the city folk and urbanites, with more then likely sedentary lifestyles, no sense of direction, literally and figuratively, can't change a tire,.... Orders their meals through an app.... Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera Are going to be the ones to do it!

All with a scoped 22 sniper gun, that they've probably never shot before nor held a gun and more then likely pre shtf held the belief that no one should have firearms!

View Quote

shooting is not a precious skill reserved for the chosen few.....

And I have never butchered a deer or cow, but I could sure kill one and get enough meat for my family for a few days. Will the rest be waste? Absolutely. Will I be able to can the remaining to last the winter? Absolutely not. But I could eat a few days and in the moment that's what matters.

so yeah, there might be enough game in the area to host a small population, but not when it's all shot the first day and 98% of it goes to the buzzards.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#37]
The city vs rural thing is getting a little divisive and ridiculous here fellows. This isn’t really a mystery. The SHTF has happened many times throughout history, even recently. We know where the riots are. We know where the violence is highest…every single time.

We also know that while some very few folks leave the cities, it’s not as many as you would think. People are creatures of habit and tend to bed down in the familiar. Next comes the fact that traveling by foot and sleeping outside isn’t easy or comfortable. There is little shelter that won’t be contested.

I could potentially see some sort of economic collapse and what would likely happen is the vast majority of people will wait for the government to fix things until it’s too late.

The rural areas are safer now, and they will be safer then. That’s no surprise. But they won’t be the same as they are now. Undoubtedly a major event would see some refugees. But again if there is nothing for them in the cities, there will be less for them here.

The reality is if you honestly, truly believe something could happen then a life goal should be getting property in a rural area. It’s a wise investment anyway.

Now, about people. We have plenty of idiots out in the country as well. People who can barely wipe their own ass. We aren’t immune from assholes either. But, what we do have is a much higher density of people educated in real life skills such as farming, building, repair, welding, and etc. a much, much higher density.

What many country folks with land lack however is labor and manpower. Sure, families will come back together and areas like mine will band together tighter than ever but more bodies will still be needed. Sounds like a potential opportunity if you had any real skills at all beyond shooting. Can you drive a tractor? Can you run a shovel all day long?

Lastly I would say there will actually need to be some people move into our area if SHTF. Why?  Many rural areas like mine are losing people. We have the lowest population in over 100 years with less every year. We were farmers and coal miners. A lot of that, especially coal mining, is gone now. If we step back to the life we had say 75 years ago…we are going to need some people.

It’s important to note I don’t actually believe that we will be flipping a switch and going full Mad Max overnight. But I do see pain. I do see a lot of having to accept the liberal utopia we live in is unsustainable.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 8:26:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

He had another video on "civilian recon". Basically don't wait until they're at your door to engage.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 11:34:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

And I have never butchered a deer or cow, but I could sure kill one and get enough meat for my family for a few days. Will the rest be waste? Absolutely. Will I be able to can the remaining to last the winter? Absolutely not. But I could eat a few days and in the moment that's what matters.

so yeah, there might be enough game in the area to host a small population, but not when it's all shot the first day and 98% of it goes to the buzzards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People always say that.  I think it's horseshit.  Most people couldn't hunt down and kill a deer with radar and night vision, and the vast majority wouldn't even consider doing it until it's too late, until all the stores have been looted.  I think people would turn to raiding each other's houses for food in the cities before they even thought about killing deer or rabbits.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 12:08:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

For PERSEC say, all I will say is that I didn't grow in the burbs of Chicago, and I didn't spend most of my time in the hood.  I'm not trying to imply I grew up on a farm or anything like that, but I have spent some time in the sticks.   It would be like me assuming someone rural has never spent time in the city or the burbs.  You don't have to currently live in the city to know that the city would be a mess.  I don't have to be in the sticks to know that there are problems there as well.   I'm assuming you have friends and family in the city and burbs.  The reverse holds true.

And it does not matter who you are or where you live. Everyone has some fucked up relatives, and someone's ex-husband is always a shitbag (or some times it is the other way around, and it your blood that is the shitbag, and the ex is the better person), and there always a niece or nephew or step-cousin who runs with some shady-ass "friends" you don't trust.  Someone is always cheating on someone, and that causes friction.

That isn't to say the city or the burbs are better for SHTF.   Come end of the world, most everyone is probably screwed, but rural folks at least have a fighting chance, and I would rather be remote rural with a small network than anywhere else.    

What is quite ironic is the comment about "inventing problems", which seems to stem from a response to a self-created problem of making a roadblock during the fantasy problem of SHTF.

Hell, when we were out at a birthday tent party a few months ago, it was on the 13 acres family in-law has out in the sticks. We really wanted to buy the 7 acres next to them, but it got "sold" without actually going up for sale.  (The father died, and one brother sold the land without first consulting the other....that type of stuff). But it is OK because I'm now looking at rural land just over the border (outside of IL and its fucked up laws), just so I have 5 or so acres to shoot on.  
I add this because even if we would have gotten the 7 acres to go with their 13 acres (so we are sitting on 20 acres), I'm trying to imagine what good a roadblock would do, and how or why would we would man it 24/7.   I guess I could call "x" up and ask him if SHTF, would he man a roadblock 24/7, but I'm guessing he would think I was drunk or something.  

Of just internally, how many friends and family would head there if it were really that bad of an event.  That carries its own problems, but again I don't see people leaving home and heading there unless they were already near by and actually lost their own home.

I get any of the rural land I am eyeballing, what kind of confrontation would someone will have created by setting up a roadblock to stop me from getting to my own land (not that I would head there unless I was truly forced to leave home, and even then I would probably go to an unaffected part of the country if possible.)
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 12:47:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

For PERSEC say, all I will say is that I didn't grow in the burbs of Chicago, and I didn't spend most of my time in the hood.  I'm not trying to imply I grew up on a farm or anything like that, but I have spent some time in the sticks.   It would be like me assuming someone rural has never spent time in the city or the burbs.  You don't have to currently live in the city to know that the city would be a mess.  I don't have to be in the sticks to know that there are problems there as well.   I'm assuming you have friends and family in the city and burbs.  The reverse holds true.

And it does not matter who you are or where you live. Everyone has some fucked up relatives, and someone's ex-husband is always a shitbag (or some times it is the other way around, and it your blood that is the shitbag, and the ex is the better person), and there always a niece or nephew or step-cousin who runs with some shady-ass "friends" you don't trust.  Someone is always cheating on someone, and that causes friction.

That isn't to say the city or the burbs are better for SHTF.   Come end of the world, most everyone is probably screwed, but rural folks at least have a fighting chance, and I would rather be remote rural with a small network than anywhere else.    

What is quite ironic is the comment about "inventing problems", which seems to stem from a response to a self-created problem of making a roadblock during the fantasy problem of SHTF.

Hell, when we were out at a birthday tent party a few months ago, it was on the 13 acres family in-law has out in the sticks. We really wanted to buy the 7 acres next to them, but it got "sold" without actually going up for sale.  (The father died, and one brother sold the land without first consulting the other....that type of stuff). But it is OK because I'm now looking at rural land just over the border (outside of IL and its fucked up laws), just so I have 5 or so acres to shoot on.  
I add this because even if we would have gotten the 7 acres to go with their 13 acres (so we are sitting on 20 acres), I'm trying to imagine what good a roadblock would do, and how or why would we would man it 24/7.   I guess I could call "x" up and ask him if SHTF, would he man a roadblock 24/7, but I'm guessing he would think I was drunk or something.  

Of just internally, how many friends and family would head there if it were really that bad of an event.  That carries its own problems, but again I don't see people leaving home and heading there unless they were already near by and actually lost their own home.

I get any of the rural land I am eyeballing, what kind of confrontation would someone will have created by setting up a roadblock to stop me from getting to my own land (not that I would head there unless I was truly forced to leave home, and even then I would probably go to an unaffected part of the country if possible.)
View Quote

I would set up a few barricades that cannot be moved without heavy equipment to slow traffic more than anything. You can't do quick hit and run attacks if you have to slow to a few miles an hour to get through. Trailers could not get through without assistance.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 3:04:07 PM EDT
[#42]
OOPs
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 3:05:09 PM EDT
[#43]
OOPS again
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 3:05:48 PM EDT
[#44]
My family has 200 acres in South Carolina with cattle, a pond full of fish, streams, feral hogs, turkeys, tons of deer, and coyotes and armadillos if you get hungry enough.  I just got back after hunting with my brother.  We got 3 deer.  It would make a great bug out location except for two problems.  First, I'm 15 hours away by car on a good day and have to drive through NYC and Jersey.  Unless I get a super secret heads up before anyone else. or buy a plane or helicopter that can land in one of the fields, I'll never make it.  Second is even if I do make it, I don't have nearly enough people to hold the perimeter even with thermals and NVG etc.  Just too much property.  

So I'm staying in suburbia and bugging in.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well if it comes down to it I'll just have to tell them I'll do anything to get past the road block.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 3:44:58 PM EDT
[#46]
If you are not at your "bug out" location when it comes crashing down, you are screwed. You can't carry enough ammo, food, and especially water to get there.  If you think you are going to load up the SUV and make it, think again. The first bridge you come to with be a controlled checkpoint either by NG, PD, or some warlord and his heavy armed gang. You are going to have to pay dearly to cross and you won't have Excalibur to cut off his arms and legs.

Link Posted: 10/31/2023 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If you are not at your "bug out" location when it comes crashing down, you are screwed. You can't carry enough ammo, food, and especially water to get there.  If you think you are going to load up the SUV and make it, think again. The first bridge you come to with be a controlled checkpoint either by NG, PD, or some warlord and his heavy armed gang. You are going to have to pay dearly to cross and you won't have Excalibur to cut off his arms and legs.

https://pa1.narvii.com/6261/0816e78b5fe4172d32420f0531c01e773998cd25_hq.gif
View Quote

I've been assured by multiple suburb-dwellers in this thread that roadblocks don't work.  So there.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#48]
I’ve lived city, suburbs and now rural. I’m sure things could get so bad out here as to overcome me but I really like the fact that I’m 100% in charge of my own utilities, that I can legally discharge my firearms for any reason and that my house is hundreds of feet from my property line.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Owning land you visit on occasion and expecting the locals to treat you like one of them when you show up might not work, depending on the nature of the locals. I've had this conversation with people that have hay leases on land owned by Florida plastic surgeons who show up once a year or two to hunt, for example.

I don't actually think shtf will happen. Things will just continue to get worse and people will, by necessity, become less friendly to outsiders.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 4:49:12 PM EDT
[#50]
The interesting angle is - if you live semi-rural - will be the city folks that are would be panicked and clueless just showing up.

If an earthquake/civil disaster/chemical spill/nuke/etc. happened in a major to midsized city, the streams of people (sensibly) pouring out to go to some friend's place in the country, on their way to family across the highways, or wherever... and (unsensibly) don't make it all the way/run out of gas/hotels full/etc...
Then they're camping and knocking on doors for food and shelter.
There's a turning point where it changes from "Hey, stay off my lawn - move along now." or "Sure, here's a gallon of gas an a Clif Bar to get you on your way, fellow human" to "That guy's breaking into my garage, time to consider ramifications of shooting."
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top