Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 12:06:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I worked security back in 2000 and 2001.
It wasn't anything like it is now.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 12:14:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hOP30lZULY
Seems like it has a busy airport.
View Quote

I love it when this guy posts his flights. He has some nice PC-12’s and PC-24’s with a couple of amazing kids who are becoming pilots. One of his kids went through this amazing tour with ‘Mace’ of the Thunderbirds, before she retired. Very cool.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 12:21:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like it was a bigger exit than normal I'm guessing that's what the problem was.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 12:22:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sounds like it was a bigger exit than normal I'm guessing that's what the problem was.
View Quote

Smaller crowd than when I was there, by far.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 1:30:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Burning Man Highlights 2022
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:04:12 AM EDT
[#6]
It’s a two lane road for the next 100 miles or so (going south at least) once you are off the playa.

All those lanes merged to one to get on pavement.

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:23:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Imagine the profound effect on our country if a giant sinkhole suddenly appeared..
View Quote

I guarantee that if it did happen that 87% of those stone fuckers would say: "Far out, Man!"
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:35:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That drone art was amazing, plus all of those fans in the sky probably helped with the smell.
View Quote

Saw a TedTalk once with a drone guy. He set up some sort of electronic grid in the auditorium so the program controlling the drones knew exactly where each one was in his X/Y/Z grid. It was similar to the way the GPS system worked. The stuff he could make them do was extraordinary. Mindblowing, actually. I'm guessing that is how the drone art was conducted in this clip.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 3:47:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I would like to go some time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 8:41:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Passed a ton of them on the way into work this morning. Going home on I-80.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:07:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I went late 90s as a LEO, mutual aid. Total nudity was not unusual.  I still remember one nude sweet young thing riding her bike around.  
I remember being told not to make arrests for controlled substances.  Seemed like we were basically there to keep folks from killing themselves or others and to keep raping and pillaging down.  I was okay with that.
Very interesting but I never had a desire to return.
View Quote

Sounds a lot like an EasyRiders® Motorcycle Rodeo.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 8:17:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Sunrise during Exodus at Gate Road, Burning Man 2022
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I went in the early days when they still allowed guns and we had a blast.  I haven't been back since they banned guns.
My cousin and her husband go every year and this year was special because he burned his radation mask from his cancer treatment.  He's been cancer free a few years now.

https://cancerunmasked.net/
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

And you're from Wisconsin. Imagine that.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never been to Burning Man, but have gone to a bunch of regional burns like Lakes of Fire, Resonate, etc. as a patron. Some of these events are absolutely wild. I’ve been to Electric Forest a few times professionally and it’s another planet. Absolutely wild how the entire forest is light up with permanent installations, tons of scenery, tree houses, all sorts of glow in the dark shit, etc. it’s just wild. Very cool.

Also, I should clarify, I’m a touring sound guy, so I’m been to many of these crazy music festivals like Ultra, Bonaroo, EDC, Lolla, etc.

And you're from Wisconsin. Imagine that.

I don’t quite follow…
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:59:10 PM EDT
[#15]

No doubt. Stay an extra day, or two. The road can wait.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 11:08:53 PM EDT
[#16]
1000 Drones Flying at Burning Man 2022

1000 Drones Flying at Burning Man 2022

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Been there in 2006 and 2008. 2006 was a “holy shit I cannot believe that’s even possible I need to build that” experience. 2008 was “shit the recession has started so let’s all get drunk because we cannot afford shit and most likely don’t have a job when we get back. 2008 was also the start of when it became a hard drug festival.

Also for the dance clubs there was no bouncers, no ghetto rap music, no corporate club shit, no yutes. Just a bunch of fantastic people in the desert dancing to some of the best techno to come out of the Bay Area and Nordic countries. Literally nothing was played or used from a certain demographic and it’s orc culture. It’s literally the best clubs and club environment I have ever seen in my life.

The thing about the art there is it’s world class and not the money laundered shit that you will see at a modern art museum.

The added benefit of going during that time was there was no cell phone coverage, no influencers, no cell phone cameras, etc. You had privacy and could do whatever the fuck you wanted and not have some bitch trying to get you fired from your job or plastered all over the internet.

Now…….I’m really not sure I would go again. The culture and environment has changed there. And the people who really made the event in 2006 have either aged out or been driven out. Back then you could wear whatever you wanted mad max codpiece or full Lawrence of Arabia outfit. Now there’s an attitude towards anyone not in”Burner” cloths. Which misses the entire point of the event…..

View Quote

This sounds a helluva lot like what happened to Pennsic after the non-SCA party crowd started coming and fucked it up.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 11:34:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Sure it is, unfortunately a lot of the participants don't know it.  I can't show you the pics because they aren't mine to share, I saw them on my lezbo friend's iPad.  She showed me after she got back.

Satan was in rebellion to God.  The whole point of Satan is that he didn't want anybody having authority over him and telling him what to do.  This festival is nothing if not a festival of rebellion.  Rebellion against God and pretty much any rules of normal society.

The bible says that the spirit of rebellion is like the sin of witchcraft.  1 Samuel 15:23   Many people are the hands and feet of Satan and they don't even realize it.  The evidence is everywhere these days, especially in the United States.

View Quote

Best be shuttin' off your internet, then.  They can come in that way instead of you going to them, you know.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 11:48:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Burning Man is a Satanic celebration.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 11:49:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Burning Man is a Satanic celebration.
View Quote

link?
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 11:49:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Shame it’s not the Running Man…
View Quote

The Wicker Man
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 12:21:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I went in the early days when they still allowed guns and we had a blast.  I haven't been back since they banned guns.
My cousin and her husband go every year and this year was special because he burned his radation mask from his cancer treatment.  He's been cancer free a few years now.

https://cancerunmasked.net/
View Quote
That's a good item for the temple burn. Good for him!
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 1:12:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Burning Man Airspace Tour 2022

Burning Man Airspace Tour 2022
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 1:36:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks like fun and I should try to go.

But, I don’t smoke weed, or drink, or dance, or stay up late, or generally enjoy being dirty or in large crowds.  I also don’t have any dystopian, edgy, or apocalyptic costumes and I definitely cannot pull off walking around in a speedo.  But, I should still go, it looks like fun.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 1:46:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Dunno, man.  Alkali-kissed and sun/wind-chapped nipples.  Someone ought to help those poor gals out with some soothing unguent.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
we gotta get a bunch of arfcommers together and go to burning man.

convoy out there in u-hauls and RVs and do it up right.

imitation crab meat, model trains, and unshowered dirty inkie hippie girls.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

TC
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 1:55:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Kinda like the Snake Pit at the Indy 500 in the ‘70’s. Harmless fun…if you didn’t get raped or do too much acid. It’s all fun and games until they burn YOUR Beetle!

Attachment Attached File

TC
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

There is a Mad Max Fest out in the California Desert called Wasteland Weekend.

https://www.wastelandweekend.com/history/

There are a number of videos up on YouTube to check out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOlDEScp5vc

The "Standard Greeting" hail given to passing participants...  "FUCK YOUUUUUUU"  

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote

Holy shit. That looks amazing!! And it's probably still small enough that it retains the vibe they want.

Why does it have to be in Cali. I'm proud that I've been to 43 states, and California is not one of them. I'd like to keep it that way, but that might be worth it.

It's a shame what happens to these festivals once they reach a certain size. You can just feel the difference. When I was in college I had a 77 VW Bus with all the camping goodies. I'd hit up a few music festivals every summer and watched more than one of them turn into places I'd never return to. While they were good though... I've never had such a good time. I lost count of the amount of times I got laid just because of the Bus.

I imagine it's a totally different atmosphere today. There were no politics or BS, just people having a good time. Today I'm sure it's nothing but TDS and purple hair as far as the eye can see. It's been a decade since I've been to anything like that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Never been.

Looks like organized Mad Max
View Quote

Nope.  That's a whole different event.

YouTube/Google "Wasteland Weekend".
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 3:11:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Who pays for all of that stuff to be constructed and disassembled??  Ticket sales to that much be a fortune!! Right?

Link Posted: 9/7/2022 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Who pays for all of that stuff to be constructed and disassembled??  Ticket sales to that much be a fortune!! Right?

View Quote

The camps arrange set up and tear down of their own sites. Burning man has a sweeper crew that cleans everything up that gets left behind.  If the last there was actually a website where you could track the cleanup. They used it to shame the worst campsites which seemed pretty clever to me.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Holy shit. That looks amazing!! And it's probably still small enough that it retains the vibe they want.

Why does it have to be in Cali. I'm proud that I've been to 43 states, and California is not one of them. I'd like to keep it that way, but that might be worth it.

It's a shame what happens to these festivals once they reach a certain size. You can just feel the difference. When I was in college I had a 77 VW Bus with all the camping goodies. I'd hit up a few music festivals every summer and watched more than one of them turn into places I'd never return to. While they were good though... I've never had such a good time. I lost count of the amount of times I got laid just because of the Bus.

I imagine it's a totally different atmosphere today. There were no politics or BS, just people having a good time. Today I'm sure it's nothing but TDS and purple hair as far as the eye can see. It's been a decade since I've been to anything like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a Mad Max Fest out in the California Desert called Wasteland Weekend.

https://www.wastelandweekend.com/history/

There are a number of videos up on YouTube to check out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOlDEScp5vc

The "Standard Greeting" hail given to passing participants...  "FUCK YOUUUUUUU"  

Bigger_Hammer

From what I’ve heard, WW has succumbed to full wokeness. Looks like we missed it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 6:50:46 PM EDT
[#33]
I would need a positive pressure HVAC on my tent to put up with that much fucking alkali dust. I've been around plenty of it Antelope hunting but not where its constantly stirred up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Back in 2003, I drove a $500 '87 Isuzu Trooper II from Selma, CA to Birmingham, AL during the summer. THAT sucked ass; no radio, no A/C. You learn a lot about yourself on a trip that long with no music to listen to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
i've been wanting to do the gambler 500 as well.

any arfcommers wanna do this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8UtSr6IY-c

I drove a $300 car to Oklahoma and back once, but a $500 budget ain't what it used to be.

Back in 2003, I drove a $500 '87 Isuzu Trooper II from Selma, CA to Birmingham, AL during the summer. THAT sucked ass; no radio, no A/C. You learn a lot about yourself on a trip that long with no music to listen to.

Try Jacksonville FL —>> San Antonio in a jacked up retired cop Ford Taurus with no rear doors, towing a soft top Tracker, then San Antonio—> Terlingua TX in the Tracker.
Run Big Bend park & Mexico for a few days in the Tracker, then pack it all up and reverse the route back to FL.

Gambler 500 Mexico. Look for it around mid May.

Done several Gambler events in a few states, some vehicle, some minibike, and it’s always good people.

Running in another G500 event this weekend up by Jacksonville FL...... In a ‘87 Isuzu Trooper It’s my dedicated interstate/long haul Gambler ride.

Link Posted: 9/12/2022 1:55:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Burning Man Exodus 2022

Burning Man Exodus 2022 (88NV - KRNO)
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top