Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 28
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Saw one in camo on the way in today. Rolling sex.

If the performance is up to the look, this is a new era in American performance vehicles.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:57:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Whoa! Don’t get your panties in a wad. I only said the Tremec will be light years ahead of the PDK. Newer design, look at all the patents GM has.
Regards
View Quote
Or, porsce has had years to continue developing the pdk to what it is now.  Saying the tremec will be light years ahead of the best DCT is nuts.  Especially in year one...patents and an unproven design means nothing until we see what it can do.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:41:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope the C8 is as good as it looks.  We're in an era where because of tight government regulations it's bloody hard and expensive to bring to market new car designs.  I want this to pay off for GM.  I really do.

Personally, I never liked the new Camaro, if the C8 is as successful as it looks like it's going to be, I suspect well see a new redesigned Camaro sometime over the next 5-10 years.  At $60k-$70k the Corvette is still outside the (responsible) financial reach of 90-95% of American households.  They need a product that can reach a larger and younger demographic.  Resurrecting the Camaro badge for that market would be good move in my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:46:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I really like the front end. I really DON'T like the rear end. I need to see it in person, because in some videos it looks great, in others looks not so great. Too bad GM doesn't do business here anymore.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Corvettes are expensive.  There just aren't many people under the age of 35 that can (...or should) afford them.  Which is true of many high performance cars.  The typical 911 buyer is 45-65 years old.  With the average age of a 911 buyer being 52.  The average age of a Ferrari buyer is 47, and it's only as low as it is because it happens to be the brand most preferred by successful entrepreneurs, celebrities, rappers and trust fund babies (children of the wealthy).

...but you never hear anyone labeling the 911 or Ferraris as an old man's car.

The simple truth is these are expensive cars that not many 20 and 30 year old guys can afford to buy new.  Young guys are paying off student loans, starting families, paying off debt, and starting out in their careers.    That's why most buyers are older.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#7]
WE GOT ONE: Up Close with The Mid-Engine C8 Corvette | Bumper 2 Bumper
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Saw one in camo on the way in today. Rolling sex.

If the performance is up to the look, this is a new era in American performance vehicles.
View Quote
When I see the first one on the road in my area, it's going to send my drooling into hyperdrive. Gonna be a squirmy/uncomfortable/long wait while I get some things handled financially so I can get mine. I'll just console myself with the thought that other drivers will be playing guinea pig for me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Corvettes are expensive.  There just aren't many people under the age of 35 that can (...or should) afford them.  Which is true of many high performance cars.  The typical 911 buyer is 45-65 years old.  With the average age of a 911 buyer being 52.  The average age of a Ferrari buyer is 47, and it's only as low as it is because it happens to be the brand most preferred by successful entrepreneurs, celebrities, rappers and trust fund babies (children of the wealthy).

The simple truth is these are expensive cars that not many 20 and 30 year old guys can afford to buy new.  Young guys are paying off student loans, starting families, paying off debt, and starting out in their careers.    That's why most buyers are older.
View Quote
Truth!!!

I hate the cliché of Vettes being "old man, mid-life crisis cars". But it is what it is. People think Corvettes/Porsches/etc don't be like they do, but they do...
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Truth!!!

I hate the cliché of Vettes being "old man, mid-life crisis cars". But it is what it is. People think Corvettes/Porsches/etc don't be like they do, but they do...
View Quote
My 2017 Corvette was ~ $20k cheaper than an equivalently optioned Suburban

Which is one of the reasons why I still have a 2007 Suburban and traded in my 2008 Corvette
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Lets hope its as easy to get another 250+ hp out of the c8 as it is with the c7 with some bolt on FI and a tune. I heard the dct is rated for up to 800 hp.  
Like you say, knowing the fuel system limits and other parts of the puzzle will be important to see what will be possible.  I saw an article where someone said it will be harder to tune it versus the c7.
Would love to have a 700+ hp c8 all in for under 70k!
View Quote
I'd be damned happy with 500-600 stock horses in this car. I don't think that the vast majority of drivers can truly utilize 700+ HP in cars anyways (unless they're at the drag strip). To each his/her own, but honestly... I'd rather get a Z51 and spend extra money on track days and other skill building stuff versus trying to go head to head with a budget American Koenigsegg.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 1:45:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

There are different types of old men that stereotypically buy the different brands.....and it’s all based in reality. Brands can’t and won’t deny it in private and will change the product to suit the preferred customer.

It’s all just fishing with different and appropriate lures.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Drive by wire.

Technology has made it possible.  Without launch control/traction control it would be very difficult to drive and very expensive to insure.  There would be a lot more mishaps.  Not so long ago this was an amazing feat for a motorcycle.  Now cars have gotten into the game.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm still trying to get my mind around 1g of acceleration in a production car.
Drive by wire.

Technology has made it possible.  Without launch control/traction control it would be very difficult to drive and very expensive to insure.  There would be a lot more mishaps.  Not so long ago this was an amazing feat for a motorcycle.  Now cars have gotten into the game.
CTS-V (modded) was doing 0.99g 10 years ago
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#14]
The company i am working for is making the folding roof for the corvette.

I seen a picture of it.

I came a little bit.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:12:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I hope the C8 is as good as it looks.  We're in an era where because of tight government regulations it's bloody hard and expensive to bring to market new car designs.  I want this to pay off for GM.  I really do.

Personally, I never liked the new Camaro, if the C8 is as successful as it looks like it's going to be, I suspect well see a new redesigned Camaro sometime over the next 5-10 years.  At $60k-$70k the Corvette is still outside the (responsible) financial reach of 90-95% of American households.  They need a product that can reach a larger and younger demographic.  Resurrecting the Camaro badge for that market would be good move in my opinion.
View Quote
As of now the Camaro is dead after this body style, 2022 I believe they are saying.  That being said while I love the new Corvette, I've been seriously debating picking up a Camaro SS 1LE.  For the price they are one of the best performing cars out there right now.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I seen a picture of it.

I came a little bit.
View Quote
The Spyder variant?
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My 2017 Corvette was ~ $20k cheaper than an equivalently optioned Suburban

Which is one of the reasons why I still have a 2007 Suburban and traded in my 2008 Corvette
View Quote
There are many reason's the Millennials haven't been as big on buying new cars as past generations.  Cars have gotten expensive, new car prices have increased more than household incomes.  Even some car guys are acknowledging this now.

Cars, Trucks, and Debt | Why it Never Ends

The average person has to finance their car purchase.  The responsible way to do this is to apply the 20/4/10 rule.  Which means a min of 20% down, a maximum 4 year loan term and a maximum of 10% of your gross monthly income spent on total car expense.  This includes loan payment, gas, maintenance (service, oil changes, car washes) and the cost to insurance the car.

Using this rule 20/40/10 rule:  A person would need a $162,000 annual income to afford to buy and own a new Corvette.  If you need anything longer than a 4 year loan, you probably shouldn't buy the car or truck.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

CTS-V (modded) was doing 0.99g 10 years ago
View Quote
lol, you're young.  10 years is fairly recent for me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:38:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What is dual fueling?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But is it DI only or duel fueling?
What is dual fueling?
Standard EFI (preferably a return system) and D.I.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:38:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm a car guy at the top end of the millennial age range. I'm a crappy car guy because I don't buy all the new cars I drool over. My only fun car is one I've owned since 2006.

I was late to buy my first house and it was a budget buy. I'd like to put up or shut up and finally buy one, but I'll have to come to terms with the fact that the payment will be higher than my mortgage payment. Just going to have to embrace the YOLO mindset for once.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 2:42:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
As it sits there is no reason for it to be dual system.  The C7 ZR1 LT5 uses both direct injection and port injection in order to support the 755 HP.  With the LT2 only 30 HP more than the LT1 there is no reason for the additional complexity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still no answer on the fueling!
Direct injection of course
But is it DI only or duel fueling?
As it sits there is no reason for it to be dual system.  The C7 ZR1 LT5 uses both direct injection and port injection in order to support the 755 HP.  With the LT2 only 30 HP more than the LT1 there is no reason for the additional complexity.
There is if you want to add forced induction...not to mention most D.I. only engines are having problems keeping the valves clean now that they're not being bathed in fuel coming through the intake port.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There is if you want to add forced induction...not to mention most D.I. only engines are having problems keeping the valves clean now that they're not being bathed in fuel coming through the intake port.
View Quote
In which case you would upgrade the fuel system if you want big boost.  Why would GM spend the money to do that with a stock motor most drivers will leave unmolested.

And whether the LT1 has had dirty valve issues seems to be a never ending argument
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I seen a picture of it.

I came a little bit.
View Quote
Can you tell us more?
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Jorts. Hawaiian shirt. White new balance shoes. Balding beer gut dad bod... Target market acquired.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There are many reason's the Millennials haven't been as big on buying new cars as past generations.  Cars have gotten expensive, new car prices have increased more than household incomes.  Even some car guys are acknowledging this now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raaM2zcpAoM

The average person has to finance their car purchase.  The responsible way to do this is to apply the 20/4/10 rule.  Which means a min of 20% down, a maximum 4 year loan term and a maximum of 10% of your gross monthly income spent on total car expense.  This includes loan payment, gas, maintenance (service, oil changes, car washes) and the cost to insurance the car.

Using this rule 20/40/10 rule:  A person would need a $162,000 annual income to afford to buy and own a new Corvette.  If you need anything longer than a 4 year loan, you probably shouldn't buy the car or truck.
View Quote
And this is really what’s up. I’m towards the end of the Millenial generation, and I bought a truck earlier this year to be my daily driver and replace my older Tundra that was on its last legs.

I bought this current truck used, and attempted to be as fiscally prudent as I could be, while still getting what I wanted. For that same money, I could have have bought a C5 or C6, and I really had to pause and think about it. As unfortunate as the interior is, a C5 Z06 looks great from the outside, and still performs like a great sports car.

Used Vettes car offer a combination of performance, reliability and value that is unmatched. But buying a new one requires a substantial outlay of money, so new ones will go to older, more financially established buyers.

I would really love to own a sports car by or before the time I turn 40. I’ve kept myself amused and motivated by keeping track of OG NSXs, R8s, and 911s; but I always respected what the Corvette could offer. I would absolutely prefer this Vette to its competitors.

The combination of the price, configuration, and claimed performance is nothing short of shocking.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:52:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
And this is really what’s up. I’m towards the end of the Millenial generation, and I bought a truck earlier this year to be my daily driver and replace my older Tundra that was on its last legs.

I bought this current truck used, and attempted to be as fiscally prudent as I could be, while still getting what I wanted. For that same money, I could have have bought a C5 or C6, and I really had to pause and think about it. As unfortunate as the interior is, a C5 Z06 looks great from the outside, and still performs like a great sports car.

Used Vettes car offer a combination of performance, reliability and value that is unmatched. But buying a new one requires a substantial outlay of money, so new ones will go to older, more financially established buyers.

I would really love to own a sports car by or before the time I turn 40. I’ve kept myself amused and motivated by keeping track of OG NSXs, R8s, and 911s; but I always respected what the Cirvette could offer. I would absolutely prefer this Vette tonite competitors.

The combination of the price, configuration, and claimed performance is nothing short of shocking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would really love to own a sports car by or before the time I turn 40. I’ve kept myself amused and motivated by keeping track of OG NSXs, R8s, and 911s; but I always respected what the Cirvette could offer. I would absolutely prefer this Vette tonite competitors.

Me too I am going to be 35 this year.

I don't exactly drive a boring car but it's not a sportscar.

I am hoping that one or two things happen in the next few years

I can get  c7 or a genIII 1/2 viper for under 30,000

Gen Iv as in 2006+

I don't mind the GenIII with the shitty engine, as I can replace that, but I don't like it being a convertable on that body style.

It just looks terbl
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 11:16:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I would really love to own a sports car by or before the time I turn 40. I’ve kept myself amused and motivated by keeping track of OG NSXs, R8s, and 911s; but I always respected what the Corvette could offer. I would absolutely prefer this Vette to its competitors.

View Quote
I'm in the same age range. I've been in sports cars since I could drive, albeit budget oriented (RX-7 and similar), and spent most of my early driving years building, tuning, and tracking them. It has taken a back seat to some slightly more practical vehicles in recent years, although still sports oriented (WRX, STi, etc). I've held on to at least one at all times though, which is currently a '94 RX-7 with an LS3, weighing in at around 2750lbs. I can afford exotics, but I've always had a hard time justifying the price to performance ratio -- it's hard to walk into a dealership and drop that kind of coin on vehicles I could routinely out drive at Road America. The C8 touches on a few key points for me -- a modern platform, mid-engine, and obviously the price to performance ratio. I suspect I may trade it in over the next few years for a Z06 or higher model, I figured it was time to shift focus from pure sport to a more grand sport style. I certainly do not feel like I fit the average corvette demographic at all... I actually feel a bit weird at the corvette events.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 11:22:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Jorts. Hawaiian shirt. White new balance shoes. Balding beer gut dad bod... Target market acquired.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Notice the butt hurt in this thread over that pic
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 11:27:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I work near roush and in Detroit (home of the automobile). I see them regularly.  They are sexy AF
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 11:29:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm 36. Have a few greys in my facial hair. But the rest doesn't fit me. I lift. And my wife keeps me fairly trendy. I still want a C8.

I just need it to be a few years old with a few miles on it. I'm waaaay too cheap to buy new and am too frugal to by a vehicle that's not business related... Maybe one day.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 11:36:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 9:36:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

In which case you would upgrade the fuel system if you want big boost.  Why would GM spend the money to do that with a stock motor most drivers will leave unmolested.

And whether the LT1 has had dirty valve issues seems to be a never ending argument
View Quote
2014 - 2017 are DI only so it's highly likely.  2018 & up have dual injection so it won't be a problem with them.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 9:44:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

2014 - 2017 are DI only so it's highly likely.  2018 & up have dual injection so it won't be a problem with them.
View Quote
Can you document that? From what I've seen all factory LT1s are DI only. Dual injection on the LT5.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Plenty of reviews on Youtube, looks good
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 9:48:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Can you document that? From what I've seen all factory LT1s are DI only. Dual injection on the LT5.
View Quote
DUAL FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM

A Chevrolet first, the new Dual Fuel Injection system uses a port fuel rail and injectors, in addition to the Direct Injection system, to provide supplemental fueling during extreme throttling.

From this page:
https://www.chevrolet.com/corvette-life/engines

The change over was 2018.  I'd have to do more goggling to "prove" it.  But that's when it happened.  Same with Ford Ecoboost 2018 got dual injection.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 9:50:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

DUAL FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM

A Chevrolet first, the new Dual Fuel Injection system uses a port fuel rail and injectors, in addition to the Direct Injection system, to provide supplemental fueling during extreme throttling.

From this page:
https://www.chevrolet.com/corvette-life/engines

The change over was 2018.  I'd have to do more goggling to "prove" it.  But that's when it happened.  Same with Ford Ecoboost 2018 got dual injection.
View Quote
Scroll the page; that only applies to the ZR1, which is the LT5
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 9:54:37 AM EDT
[#37]
It's been my plan to pick up a C7 in about 3 years, but I'm moving that over to a C8. That 0-60 time is just astonishing if it's even remotely close. I want to track the car regularly. While I don't care much about its market value, I don't want to destroy the paint. What reasonable options are there to protect the paint at the track? I've heard the vinyl covers don't help much and are most the cost of repainting the car anyway.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 9:54:49 AM EDT
[#38]
I am the old (64) not so fat guy that wants a C8. To me the supposedly list price for the base model of $59,999, is amazing! I may not get it but why would I buy an exotic with all of the issues that go with that when a domestic car is as good or better? Many years ago I had a Audi, the fuel pump relay went out on a Saturday. Guess what, the local parts store laughed at me when I asked for that part. Dead in the water for 48 hours.
Now a guy in my office has the large Audi sedan, he bought wiper blades at the Audi dealership, $95. Or he could have waited 2 weeks for the parts from Pep Boys.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm 36. Have a few greys in my facial hair. But the rest doesn't fit me. I lift. And my wife keeps me fairly trendy. I still want a C8.

I just need it to be a few years old with a few miles on it. I'm waaaay too cheap to buy new and am too frugal to by a vehicle that's not business related... Maybe one day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same, but I’m 34. My buddy is 35 and has a C7 Z06 that he bought new and tracks. He got it from one of those online super vendors. Custom order and got 12% off, plus a few more thousand back for doing the GM card thing and picked it up at a local dealer. It’s a corvette, there will be deals on new ones after the initial craze. I want one, I could afford one, my buddy is constantly egging me on to get one, but that’s a lot of cheddar that could be invested.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 9:59:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It's been my plan to pick up a C7 in about 3 years, but I'm moving that over to a C8. That 0-60 time is just astonishing if it's even remotely close. I want to track the car regularly. While I don't care much about its market value, I don't want to destroy the paint. What reasonable options are there to protect the paint at the track? I've heard the vinyl covers don't help much and are most the cost of repainting the car anyway.
View Quote
Xpel clear bra, it will help a lot. But if you track it, rocks get throne and sooner or later one bigger then the film can handle will be hit.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 10:29:35 AM EDT
[#41]
How much will C7 used values tank now that the C8 is out?  I still think its an awesome car to look at.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 10:31:36 AM EDT
[#42]
I doubt that much. It’s such a change that there will be a higher then normal demand for the classic style. Especially for those that want a manual. I bet the higher end C7 trims with a stick hold well, base autos not so much.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 10:33:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Your advice is dumb.

Get as low a rate for as long as you can.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Your advice is dumb.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your advice is dumb.

If you can't afford to pay off a depreciating asset, like a car, in 4 years, then you can't afford THAT car.  It's really that simple.  It's not about affording the payment, it's about affording the car.  Following your logic is how many car buyers end up upside down on car loans.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:13:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Xpel clear bra, it will help a lot. But if you track it, rocks get throne and sooner or later one bigger then the film can handle will be hit.
View Quote
Is there anything more protective but more temporary? Perhaps something much thicker that you only put on before you head to the track?

I don't mind covering the front and mirrors in some ugly black leather cover if it's just for the track.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:33:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
72 and 84 month loans are the new norm.  Zero down as well.

$65k on a 84 month @ 4.49% interest note is $903 a month.  There's plenty of people that will sign up for that.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Is there anything more protective but more temporary? Perhaps something much thicker that you only put on before you head to the track?

I don't mind covering the front and mirrors in some ugly black leather cover if it's just for the track.
View Quote
Those leather coverings are actually worse as they do nothing but shift around and scratch everything underneath. Putting them on and off constantly would just further hasten that all.

If you want ultra cheap protection and don't care about looks just get a few rolls of painters tape and have at it. Maybe get the light blue paint job so that it matches.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:40:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They make the same thing but in temporary use thicker ones. Leather cover is just about the worst thing to use that I can think of. If you track it you will end up with high performance sticky tires, these will toss rocks, on the track or on the road. Simple as that.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:42:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
If it is just for track use, green Frogg painters tape is common.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If you can't afford to pay off a depreciating asset, like a car, in 4 years, then you can't afford THAT car.  It's really that simple.  It's not about affording the payment, it's about affording the car.  Following your logic is how many car buyers end up upside down on car loans.
View Quote
Why 4 years? Why not 2? How about pay cash?
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top