Site Notices
Page / 28
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
C8 dealer tour list by state

Looks like GM is continuing the chopped look. Not so good for 6+ footers

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.corvetteforum.com-vbulletin/968x750/img_1777_f9fb8279f174594db96bc13e8be3a907ab6fadc9.jpg

(Not me, some random guy from above link)

No idea on headroom specs, but 15-20 odd yrs ago had truck in for svc, sat in vette in showroom and negative headroom (I'm 6'3"). Sales guy said "oh just lean the seat back". Neat. I want to look at the ceiling when I drive. No idea if C8 is better or worse, but seeing the GM Camaro styling mindset, not optimistic.

ETA: that pic screams, no, howls "midlife crisis".
View Quote
Is that Peyton Manning?
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.corvetteforum.com-vbulletin/968x750/img_1777_f9fb8279f174594db96bc13e8be3a907ab6fadc9.jpg

No idea on headroom specs, but 15-20 odd yrs ago had truck in for svc, sat in vette in showroom and negative headroom (I'm 6'3"). Sales guy said "oh just lean the seat back". Neat. I want to look at the ceiling when I drive. No idea if C8 is better or worse, but seeing the GM Camaro styling mindset, not optimistic.

View Quote
What’s wrong with crisis buying?

Asking for a 64yo Machine gun owning grandpa...
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 2:28:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I like it the more I see it.

Go to 1:25

This 2020 C8 CORVETTE is EPIC *EXCLUSIVE FOOTAGE*
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fsI4I09lgs
View Quote
Owning one of those is as close to owning an Italian sports car as I'd ever want to get.   ...or probably could get.

Seriously, owning an American sports car that looks that good is all I'd want.  It checks all the boxes for me.  It's very cool looking, it's mid-engine, the interior is wrapped in leather, there are real carbon fiber components, the interior isn't covered in plastic, it has a big engine, good transmission, and plenty of hp and torque.  AND  it's serviceable, no reason to keep it a low mileage garage queen, you can drive it everyday without multi-thousand dollar service intervals, and the cost to insure it won't be insane because of its price.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 7:03:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Owning one of those is as close to owning an Italian sports car as I'd ever want to get.   ...or probably could get.

Seriously, owning an American sports car that looks that good is all I'd want.  It checks all the boxes for me.  It's very cool looking, it's mid-engine, the interior is wrapped in leather, there are real carbon fiber components, the interior isn't covered in plastic, it has a big engine, good transmission, and plenty of hp and torque.  AND  it's serviceable, no reason to keep it a low mileage garage queen, you can drive it everyday without multi-thousand dollar service intervals, and the cost to insure it won't be insane because of its price.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fsI4I09lgs

Insurance may get costly when people start wrecking them because they don’t know how to drive a mid engine car.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Have you ever even sat in a Camaro?

My seat is not tilted back and I have about 1.5" of headspace, With that... my car has a sunroof. In the non sunroof model I have nearly 3" of headspace.

If you haven't sat in one. Go try it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:09:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Insurance may get costly when people start wrecking them because they don’t know how to drive a mid engine car.
View Quote
Perhaps, but not as expensive as it would be on a car that cost 4 or 5 times more.  I read that the average insurance cost on a 488 Ferrari Spider is $868 per month, or $10,416 per year.  I guess you could cut it to just liability, and self insure, but then you're taking a $280k gamble every time you drive it.

I mean this is a sexy car.

But with a base price that is $220,000 more then the C8, with $10,416 per year spent on insuring the thing, and then throw in the expensive maintenance intervals, is it really that much better?
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 11:31:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Perhaps, but not as expensive as it would be on a car that cost 4 or 5 times more.  I read that the average insurance cost on a 488 Ferrari Spider is $868 per month, or $10,416 per year.  I guess you could cut it to just liability, and self insure, but then you're taking a $280k gamble every time you drive it.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/iqxIu1cyRfk/maxresdefault.jpg

But with a base price that is $220,000 more then the C8, with $10,416 per year spent on insuring the thing, and then throw in the expensive maintenance intervals, is it really that much better?
View Quote
No, and the 488 is my grail car that I'd have to win the jackpot to afford. Now that the C8 is here, I'd forget about foreign exotics altogether and start buying vettes as they became available.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 12:10:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No, and the 488 is my grail car that I'd have to win the jackpot to afford. Now that the C8 is here, I'd forget about foreign exotics altogether and start buying vettes as they became available.
View Quote
I agree.  Maybe if I was at least as wealthy as Jay Leno (net worth ~ $400 million), I might feel different.  ...maybe.  But it's hard for me to justify paying that kind of money for the experience of owning and driving a Ferrari 488, when for $60k and a lot fewer maintenance headaches, I can have a C8, which in my mind checks all the same boxes.

With the exception maybe, of conveying the status of the dancing pony.  Which at my age, isn't as important as it might have been when I was a young man.  I dunno.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 3:09:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Looks almost exactly like the C8...
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 3:15:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Can't wait to see track times with pro drivers.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 3:31:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
My 2018 cayman gts (mid engine) costs $50 less a month to insure than my 2015 mustang GT.  I know, mustangs like to hit curbs by innocent bystanders...
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My 2018 cayman gts (mid engine) costs $50 less a month to insure than my 2015 mustang GT.  I know, mustangs like to hit curbs by innocent bystanders...
View Quote
They're the pit bulls of cars.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 11:22:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It seems like a good idea in theory, but in practice it wouldn't work - if your goal is a complete exchange of oil or even a mostly complete exchange.

They have so many drain plugs because of the way the system is plumbed. If you were to hook up a pressure system to force fresh oil in and old out, there would be many, many areas where that detla V doesn't reach (and cannot reach) so no oil would be exchanged.

We use that technique on some race cars because it makes it simple and does well enough. But it wouldn't work on that specific car. They have a shit ton of drain plugs for a reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@NIevo

Yes I have. It's a dry sump that has coolers all over the chassis on the Bug.

And yes I could do it....I've listed my creds before...but to give you an idea, by the time I was 12, I was machining my own high performance marine engines and rebuilding them and doing port work. I am lucky as I am a scion when it came to stuff like that.

Given that, they way they do it is fucking stupid.

They are literally unnecessarily removing very very expensive pieces of the car just to access the plugs.

What they should be doing is using a system that manually forces new oil through the system while the old oil drains out one plug.

Sure, they may go through a few gallons of oil, but you are not risking damaging pieces of CF that are thousands of dollars.

It's essentially is like flushing a trans....so after you take your calc of what came out and what you put in. You check the level and run the car. Then you take a sample.

Send it off overnight and by the next day you will get your TBN # telling you how much good oil you have versus old oil. If it checks out, your GTG.

You have saved labor and mitigated risks.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk
It seems like a good idea in theory, but in practice it wouldn't work - if your goal is a complete exchange of oil or even a mostly complete exchange.

They have so many drain plugs because of the way the system is plumbed. If you were to hook up a pressure system to force fresh oil in and old out, there would be many, many areas where that detla V doesn't reach (and cannot reach) so no oil would be exchanged.

We use that technique on some race cars because it makes it simple and does well enough. But it wouldn't work on that specific car. They have a shit ton of drain plugs for a reason.
If the Veyron, has a single oil filter, then it can be done.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 12:11:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

488 still looks better, IMO, but not 10x's better.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 10:48:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On his channel, Nick Murray mentioned that his 911 was cheaper to insure than his Golf.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 11:39:19 AM EDT
[#17]
This may have been mentioned ( I haven't read every page)

I read yesterday that the Z51 performance package $5000.00, will be a gain of 5 hp and a loss of 10mph

that's a lot for so little.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I read yesterday that the Z51 performance package $5000.00, will be a gain of 5 hp and a loss of 10mph

View Quote
True, but look at what you do get...extra cooling, larger brakes, track suspension, electronic limited slip differential and performance exhaust.  Plus a front splitter and that ugly rear spoiler...
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Brakes, exhaust, aero, suspension. If you're going to track it, the brakes and suspension are worth every penny (at least they have been in previous models).
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Can't wait for all the lambo and ferrari kit cars based on the c8. Like the fiero used to have.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 4:00:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Corvettes will drive to Bowling Green, Kentucky for the 25th anniversary of the National Corvette Museum.

Corvettes Gather In Pasadena To Start Cross-Country Caravan

2019 Corvette Caravan and National Corvette Museum 25th Anniversary Celebration
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Corvettes will drive to Bowling Green, Kentucky for the 25th anniversary of the National Corvette Museum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89xuluy1h9g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnVJHgVxel4
View Quote
What’s the route? I should line up parts trucks to be ready
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 8:45:26 PM EDT
[#23]
In an earlier page, someone linked an active spoiler. Does anyone have more info about how well those things perform? Are they worth the price if you're tracking the car regularly?
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Can't wait for all the lambo and ferrari kit cars based on the c8. Like the fiero used to have.
View Quote
Interesting bit of car history, Pontiac actually offered the Fiero Mera.

What you are looking at wasn't a kit car.  It was produced by Pontiac and sold as an option.  I think it's MSRP at the time was $17k, but I might not be remembering that right.  It was such a good copy of the Ferrari 308 that Ferrari won a lawsuit against Pontiac.

They're very rare since only around 100 were ever produced.

The outside screamed Ferrari the interior, and drivetrain screamed 80's Pontiac.  

http://pontiacmera.com/sales-brochures/
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

http://pontiacmera.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/RodneyDickman8110-400x160.jpg

What you are looking at wasn't a kit car.  It was produced by Pontiac and sold as an option.  I think it's MSRP at the time was $17k, but I might not be remembering that right.  It was such a good copy of the Ferrari 308 that Ferrari won a lawsuit against Pontiac.

The outside screamed Ferrari the interior, and drivetrain screamed 80's Pontiac.  

View Quote
Never knew that. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 9:51:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
In an earlier page, someone linked an active spoiler. Does anyone have more info about how well those things perform? Are they worth the price if you're tracking the car regularly?
View Quote
Big brakes and active aero are the two biggest things you can do to improve a car in the turns. It allows you to dive into the turns at a much higher speed and continue the momentum through the turn and come out much faster with the increased downforce while keeping the engine up in the RPMs without having to shift 2-3 gears.

Is an aftermarket Active Aero wing worth $5k+ ???  Depends on how competitive you are.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 9:52:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Huh, I never knew that was a thing!

Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 9:58:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
When are you coming? I'll be on track september 14th testing some aero changes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm supposed to be on Road Atlanta in September and looking at the sign up sheet there is supposed to be someone there with a 2020 Corvette. Now that is planning ahead!
When are you coming? I'll be on track september 14th testing some aero changes.
Awesome! 14th and 15th with jZilla.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 9:58:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Interesting. I didnt know that. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:16:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
I looked at one of those at a Pontiac dealer with my Dad as a teen.  I wanted it sooooo bad.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:22:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Aero drag from the functional aerodynamic pieces added for increased grip at speed. There's no free lunch... that drown force, increased grip, increased friction and worse drag coefficient cost top end speed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:59:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Trying to figure out how it was produced by Pontiac...
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 9:08:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Big brakes and active aero are the two biggest things you can do to improve a car in the turns. It allows you to dive into the turns at a much higher speed and continue the momentum through the turn and come out much faster with the increased downforce while keeping the engine up in the RPMs without having to shift 2-3 gears.

Is an aftermarket Active Aero wing worth $5k+ ???  Depends on how competitive you are.
View Quote
Does anything even come close in regards to performance:dollar ratio? It just seems like it does so much, thus being almost too good to be true. I've heard the aero itself can also help with braking distance by a lot.

This part in this video really opened my eyes to the whole concept:

[youtube]bLEF0yyG1Sk?t=231[/youtube]

ETA: Embedded videos apparently don't skip times. Go to 3:50.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 9:30:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Does anything even come close in regards to performance:dollar ratio? It just seems like it does so much, thus being almost too good to be true. I've heard the aero itself can also help with braking distance by a lot.

This part in this video really opened my eyes to the whole concept:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLEF0yyG1Sk?t=231

ETA: Embedded videos apparently don't skip times. Go to 3:50.
View Quote
You sacrifice top end speed with aero. A big wing on a drag strip tends to be a detriment. But on a road track it makes sense. With an active wing, when brakes are applied it becomes more aggressive. Under acceleration it folds flat to reduce drag. Front splitters are also really good as they reduce the barometric air pressure under the car, creating sort of a "vacuum". Literally sucking the car to the ground.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 9:49:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You sacrifice top end speed with aero. A big wing on a drag strip tends to be a detriment. But on a road track it makes sense. With an active wing, when brakes are applied it becomes more aggressive. Under acceleration it folds flat to reduce drag. Front splitters are also really good as they reduce the barometric air pressure under the car, creating sort of a "vacuum". Literally sucking the car to the ground.
View Quote
According to Tadge Juechter (Corvette Chief Engineer) the Stage 3 aero on the C7 (big spoiler and splitter winglets, not the Giant ZR1 wing, which adds more) adds over 300 lbs of downforce.  IIRC, it also reduces top speed by about 15 MPH, and highway gas mileage (if the owner cares about such things) by about 3 MPG.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
According to Tadge Juechter (Corvette Chief Engineer) the Stage 3 aero on the C7 (big spoiler and splitter winglets, not the Giant ZR1 wing, which adds more) adds over 300 lbs of downforce.  IIRC, it also reduces top speed by about 15 MPH, and highway gas mileage (if the owner cares about such things) by about 3 MPG.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is one of the nice things about Active Aero. Because it is automated, it changes positing/angle of attack under braking/acceleration. Which helps reduce the downfalls of strong aero. And there is even split wing active aero. So if you are pulling a strong left turn the right side of the wing will go into an aggressive angle putting more downforce on the right rear and vice versa.

Active aero is a huge advancement.

New GM trucks have active aero front grills to decrease air going into the engine compartment on the highway to improve gas mileage.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pontiac sent new cars, or car frames, I can't remember, to one particular shop where they made and attached the panels.  It was all done by hand.  Then the cars where sold through Pontiac dealerships.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:19:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Pontiac sent new cars, or car frames, I can't remember, to one particular shop where they made and attached the panels.  It was all done by hand.  Then the cars where sold through Pontiac dealerships.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just like the Firehawk and the WS6 when it first came out.  Regular old Trans Am's were shipped off to SLP and they did the conversions.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:23:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
They already make them

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:24:58 AM EDT
[#40]
... going to look at one at Van Chevrolet, Scottsdale AZ tomorrow
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:51:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just like the Firehawk and the WS6 when it first came out.  Regular old Trans Am's were shipped off to SLP and they did the conversions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally different. Pontiac actually created a vehicle code for the Firehawk.

Pontiac’s only involvement with the Fauxarri was following dealer requests to ship the Fieros they ordered to a specific location.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Interesting indeed....

Corvette engine engineer doing a little intercompany corporate espionage.

Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Interesting indeed....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Interesting indeed....

It would be foolish to ignore the development costs and engineering that have already been done inside your own company.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:30:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:32:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Thats good.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:39:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Hah!
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:54:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Interesting indeed....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Interesting indeed....

The very first V8s were built with flat plane cranks , so they've been around awhile.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 10:04:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Oh.

My.

Goodness.

Night Testing The New 2020 C8 R Mid Engine Corvette At Sebring
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top