User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:25:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can tell if someone is above a general age if they remember the phone number of the house they lived in during their elementary school years.

We really did have a mental rolodex of phone numbers. That's not just a meme or a joke.
View Quote

209-559-3671
Long since moved away and the area code has changed. I can even recall address of day's of yor.

Ask me for a phone # from anyone I know now, I'll have to look it up.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Gives us all a ready repository of 3,4,7, and 10-digit PINs to use, though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you've ever been to London and had to take a cab, you know that you can just rattle off your destination address and the driver would just instinctively know where that's located without pulling it up on their phone. It's very impressive.

There was a study about 10 years ago where they followed London taxi drivers around the city while they practiced for their certification exam. The exam is really tough since only 50% of them pass.  The researchers theorized that the parts of our brain responsible for spatial navigation, the hippocampus, would be larger for these applicants.  At the end of the evaluation period, they did an MRI for those that passed the exam and sure enough, they found that the hippocampus volume was larger on those that passed the exam vs their control group.

I wonder how our brains have continued to change due to all the tech that's in our pockets.

You can tell if someone is above a general age if they remember the phone number of the house they lived in during their elementary school years.

We really did have a mental rolodex of phone numbers. That's not just a meme or a joke.

Gives us all a ready repository of 3,4,7, and 10-digit PINs to use, though.

Oh great.

Because I've read some mitnick I now will have that stuck in my head.

"what age is he?

what does that have to do with his pin number?!?!?

shut up and tell me his age."

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you've ever been to London and had to take a cab, you know that you can just rattle off your destination address and the driver would just instinctively know where that's located without pulling it up on their phone. It's very impressive.

There was a study about 10 years ago where they followed London taxi drivers around the city while they practiced for their certification exam. The exam is really tough since only 50% of them pass.  The researchers theorized that the parts of our brain responsible for spatial navigation, the hippocampus, would be larger for these applicants.  At the end of the evaluation period, they did an MRI for those that passed the exam and sure enough, they found that the hippocampus volume was larger on those that passed the exam vs their control group.

I wonder how our brains have continued to change due to all the tech that's in our pockets.

Yep. One awesome thing my eldest daughter drummed inside her boy's head was to be able to recite his full name, his parent's names, street adress and home phone number.

I need to teach him maps.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:32:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm struggling to imagine how someone would have trouble reading a damn map.

Even if they're a couch potato surely they've been exposed to the concept through videogames? It's not difficult to wrap your head around.
View Quote

This. One is on a screen. One is on paper. What's so difficult?
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Own a bunch of plastic covered maps.

Also own a couple of gps's.
View Quote

Same here. We have local map store south of Birmingham called Carto-craft. They sell maps that are art. When i go in, i put on blinders and resolve to  only buy what i went in for, or I'd end up breaking my checking account.

Map store
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:34:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even if they're a couch potato surely they've been exposed to the concept through videogames? It's not difficult to wrap your head around.

Scale, cardinal directions rather than "right" and "left", as well as secondary tasks you take for granted.

Example: If you cross Lee Road you've gone too far
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:34:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A road map in the glove compartment of your car. A travel map in your backpack. A world map on your wall, with pins poked in the countries you've visited.

For older generations, maps are more than just pieces of paper   they're symbols of where we've been and where we might go. But as GPS and cell phones take over, is map-reading becoming a lost skill? In January, The Guardian reported that three-quarters of UK adults have trouble reading a map; and in 2019, even one of the inventors of the GPS navigating system lamented there was a drawback to his advancement.

"The fact is that people don't know how to read maps anymore. I love maps," said Professor Bradford Parkinson, according to Yahoo News.

It's a concern shared by Brad Green, who, along with his partner Petra Thoms, owns the shop World of Maps in Ottawa.

Green estimates that the shop, which has run a successful business since 1994, has thousands of maps in stock, and tens of thousands more in its electronic library, ready to be printed.

"There is a bit of a risk of it becoming a lost skill,' Green said of map reading. "And I think what you lose is the big picture."

What a hyper-local phone map doesn't necessarily give you is perspective, Green explained. For example, if you look from the Arctic Circle down, Canada borders on Greenland; if you look at a map of North America, Point Pelee, Ont., runs along the same latitude as Northern California.

moar

https://i.gifer.com/A1wn.gif
View Quote

With all the newer laws and regulations against touching/handling a phone while driving, I wonder what they would've thought of seeing people driving on busy city streets while trying to read/fold a big floppy map?
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:35:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

With all the newer laws and regulations against touching/handling a phone while driving, I wonder what they would've thought of seeing people driving on busy city streets while trying to read/fold a big floppy map?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A road map in the glove compartment of your car. A travel map in your backpack. A world map on your wall, with pins poked in the countries you've visited.

For older generations, maps are more than just pieces of paper   they're symbols of where we've been and where we might go. But as GPS and cell phones take over, is map-reading becoming a lost skill? In January, The Guardian reported that three-quarters of UK adults have trouble reading a map; and in 2019, even one of the inventors of the GPS navigating system lamented there was a drawback to his advancement.

"The fact is that people don't know how to read maps anymore. I love maps," said Professor Bradford Parkinson, according to Yahoo News.

It's a concern shared by Brad Green, who, along with his partner Petra Thoms, owns the shop World of Maps in Ottawa.

Green estimates that the shop, which has run a successful business since 1994, has thousands of maps in stock, and tens of thousands more in its electronic library, ready to be printed.

"There is a bit of a risk of it becoming a lost skill,' Green said of map reading. "And I think what you lose is the big picture."

What a hyper-local phone map doesn't necessarily give you is perspective, Green explained. For example, if you look from the Arctic Circle down, Canada borders on Greenland; if you look at a map of North America, Point Pelee, Ont., runs along the same latitude as Northern California.

moar

https://i.gifer.com/A1wn.gif

The government is pretty stupid
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This.

A GPS is a map. A paper map is a map. If you can use one you can use the other.

GPS maps have a few advantages and disadvantages. Paper maps have a few advantages and disadvantages.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you can read/follow a GPS, you can read/follow a map.

This.

GPS maps have a few advantages and disadvantages. Paper maps have a few advantages and disadvantages.

A lot of people fail to distinguish between what GPS does and doesn’t do.  GPS tells you your present location.  That’s it, and it’s generally very good at that.  GPS does not know where your uncle’s house is or what roads to take to get there.  For that you need to either use a paper map or a device integrated with the GPS receiver to give you distance and direction or a more detailed route to a destination you have identified.  99% of problems people have with GPS being “wrong” are related to an inaccurate map database or poor route planning algorithm in their digital navigation application.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:47:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:48:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A lot of people fail to distinguish between what GPS does and doesn’t do.  GPS tells you your present location.  That’s it, and it’s generally very good at that.  GPS does not know where your uncle’s house is or what roads to take to get there.  For that you need to either use a paper map or a device integrated with the GPS receiver to give you distance and direction or a more detailed route to a destination you have identified.  99% of problems people have with GPS being “wrong” are related to an inaccurate map database or poor route planning algorithm in their digital navigation application.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Nah.

People search something on google maps and ask it to take them there.

Or a slightly different flavor.

If the nav system can't find it, it doesn't exist for them.  GPS is just the "where am i right now" bit.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Neither side of your brain is fully formed to it's potential until you master the art of folding a Texaco road map, one handed, while driving.
View Quote

Lol. This.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:49:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I tell my teenage daughters about how you would keep a map book in the car...turn to the back, look up the street then turn to page 17 and look in B5 on the grid for your street and they look at me like I'm a timetraveler from the past, lol.  

Still keep a map book in the car...
View Quote

Those street guides were great for your home area.  Where digital navigation systems really shine is for last mile navigation in areas that you don’t frequent, for which it was and is impractical to keep detailed street guide on hand.  That and the fact that they can connect you to a wealth of information that was never printed on any map.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:49:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I have most because in a time when you might really need a map your phone might not work
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I could be better at map reading but something I've seen recently really surprised me.  I think it's a generational thing but drivers for Door Dash, grocery delivery and that sort of thing literally don't know about house numbers.  They stop where the GPS tells them and if it's not obvious which house that is, then they just pick one.  It's a regular occurrence in my neighborhood.  I've seen it happen to my neighbor 3 times in about 3 weeks and they have numbers on the front of their house at least a foot high.
View Quote

Ugh.

Never done DoorDash/Uber eats, but I've had that happen with delivery drivers from Amazon, UPS and FedEx (never USPS. My USPS personnel have been on the ball).

My stuff delivered to the neighbors. Neighbors stuff on my doorstep...

What's even dumber, is that I decided to put BIG house numbers right next to my door. My Neighbors saw them and said, "Good idea!", and did the same. Delivery personnel will take photos of packages delivered with the (wrong) BIG house numbers in the photo.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Still carry some folded 24x36" maps quad maps on the forest I got when I worked for the US Forest Service.

The backroads of TX mapbook has a lot of passable roads and such that never show up on google maps/GPS.

Company moved and wasn't on any online mas yet so I called and I asked the receptionist which side of the 4 lane road they were on. The left was the answer. Not north or south, the left. So obviously only worked if you were coming from the direction she went to work everyday.
View Quote

You just cost me $15 ! Thank you for the TX map reference
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 4:11:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Ah the AAA Triptik.  I had loads of fun following along with one on road trips with my grandparents in the 80s.

ETA not my pic.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/80518/Maps_png-3025305.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember receiving those thick turn-by-turn direction books from AAA when driving cross-country.  And all those coupons too!

Ah the AAA Triptik.  I had loads of fun following along with one on road trips with my grandparents in the 80s.

ETA not my pic.

The old 301 speed trap route. Waldo still bad, Stark now has a bypass, Lawtey has no city police now. Hawthorne still iffy.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 4:31:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
When hiking I can get much more accurate and up to date maps on my phone with GaiaGPS and it has an arrow showing me exactly where I am.

I've looked at paper maps once or twice when hiking and they are often dated with trails that no longer exist or no mention of current trails I'm standing in front of.
View Quote

This is a perfect post explaining why to get both.

When the boy and I are out, I am old school with map, compass, pace beads, wrist watch. He has the latest Garmin with sat com, trails apps, etc.

They work well together. I've missed stuff he has. His shits the bed under canopy, in deep canyons, has to keep up with batteries (not much of an issue for an over nighter but week long or real cold it gets to be something to pay attention to.)

Technology is a useful tool but recognizing where it can fail you and being able to do without is wise.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's just weird.

Do you not have an innate sense of which way the cardinal directions are without referencing a GPS or map?

Whatever, if it works for you, it works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Especially when most nav systems display your position on a map.
I unnerved someone when I was driving with North locked on my cell phone, rather than having the position of travel locked in the up position.  He had a bit of a time figuring that one out.

I always have mine set to that. Not sure how anyone keeps their bearings otherwise... I guess they don't care to.

That's just weird.

Do you not have an innate sense of which way the cardinal directions are without referencing a GPS or map?

Whatever, if it works for you, it works.

Nobody has a "Sense of Direction". It doesn't exist as a human sense. Some people have a pretty good ability to pay attention and keep track so long as things are fairly straight forward.

Get in an area with hollers, fingers coming off mountains, creeks that all look alike and are flowing different directions....

My buddy claimed to have an excellent sense of direction. He did ok in road nav where he could generally decide which way he generally needed to go. I took him on a hike on the family property in eastern KY. Up and over a few ridges, round a couple bends, crossed a few creeks ( the same creek a couple times).

Ok, which way is the cabin?

Uh, uh you dont know?

Told ya. There ain't no sense of direction.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The old 301 speed trap route. Waldo still bad, Stark now has a bypass, Lawtey has no city police now. Hawthorne still iffy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember receiving those thick turn-by-turn direction books from AAA when driving cross-country.  And all those coupons too!

ETA not my pic.

If you hadn't kept up with the news, waldo no longer has a PD.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#21]
have a very large atlas in my truck that covers the whole country. I never use it. It’s purely emergency use only.

Turns out cell phones and GPS are incredibly reliable.

On my phone I have:
Google maps, GAIA with 33 layers, OsmAnd Maps will offline maps for the whole country downloaded, Spyglass, Waze, Apple maps, Mgrs & Utm map, Compass, Alltrails.

ATAK is another good map app.

I would never voluntarily go back to land nav with a compass, protractor, and 20 year old topo map.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This.  I love all maps, especially Virginia antebellum maps to
local VA road maps pre-1980s.

They give a sense of history that GPS never could.
View Quote

History, discovery and adventure. I love old maps.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nah.

If the nav system can't find it, it doesn't exist for them.  GPS is just the "where am i right now" bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Nah.

You said “nah” and then re-stated what I said.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 5:43:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Nah.

Hmm.

*re-reads*

You're right.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 5:45:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Maps are for smart people, they know to have a backup plan.

Electronics are for dumb people, that forget batteries or to charge the device before using it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maps are for boomers and lazy .gov employees

Maps are for smart people, they know to have a backup plan.

Electronics are for dumb people, that forget batteries or to charge the device before using it.

Gets at least one, every thread

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 6:20:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
maps, if nothing lese, strengthen the mind.  Why is it that a weak body bothers us but a weak mind does not?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
maps, if nothing lese, strengthen the mind.  Why is it that a weak body bothers us but a weak mind does not?

For whatever reason it seems that large swathes of  us have no problem being ignorant of the ivory tower philosophies that control our lives and make puppets of us.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 6:35:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I love reading maps.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 6:45:33 PM EDT
[#30]
I bought two US Topo maps that are weather proof of my AO. I downloaded US Topo maps for every quadrant in the entire state. Put them in the cloud, have a local copy on my phone, and a local copy on an external hard drive.

I have a compass, GPS, and multiple GPS watches. With zero training I can look at my map and orient myself with my compass. That's pretty much all I'll ever need in my opinion. I don't plan on needing directions from the bush.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 6:54:27 PM EDT
[#31]
GPS doesn't work where I live, there is no cell signal either.
Recently my Mom was in hospice, that meant people coming here who had no idea. I had to give physical landmarks (there are many) to get them here.
GPS has "named" my driveway (1/3 mile long, made by a backhoe), and "named" the multiple side roads branching off my driveway (there are none, zero).

I've had numerous people at my gate, saying their pin brought them here,,, when their real destination was miles away.

So take it for what it is, NW AZ? Better not depend on that crap that works in the city.
That said I've traveled from the Canada border to the Mexican border, from California to Florida, in a Welding Rig, using GPS, so evidently the anomolies are few. But I live in one
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#32]
I like maps.  I guess it would be an interesting poll to see who keeps paper maps in their truck and what their age is.

I also spend a decent amount of time looking around on google maps and also comparing different things between current maps and historical maps, aerial photos, and topographic maps ect.  It is interesting to see where buildings, roads, and railroads used to be.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Interesting thread.  Reading topo maps is a lost art.  Back in the late 90's when my kids were in scouts I had to teach the land nav courses because none of the scout masters or other dads knew how to do land nav.  Pretty sad that an AF pilot had to do that because several other dads had been in the Army and should have known how.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 7:14:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Many years ago, a friend of mine picked me up from the airport- going (back) to the place I used to live. After several mins, I  noticed we were going in the opposite direction, why?  - the GPS took us to the wrong direction.  Good thing I was very familiar with the area, literally became a back seat driver.....  

I actually enjoy looking at Google maps, especially when traveling to the unknown locations, just some habits I have developed since a kid.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I had a thick book for all the states and major cities.  I remember buying local maps when we traveled somewhere new.  We were young and poor so it didn't matter to often.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I could be better at map reading but something I've seen recently really surprised me.  I think it's a generational thing but drivers for Door Dash, grocery delivery and that sort of thing literally don't know about house numbers.  They stop where the GPS tells them and if it's not obvious which house that is, then they just pick one.  It's a regular occurrence in my neighborhood.  I've seen it happen to my neighbor 3 times in about 3 weeks and they have numbers on the front of their house at least a foot high.
View Quote

They just did it again, apparently we're going to do this once a week.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:27:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

We used to have a better class of troll
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 12:00:13 AM EDT
[#38]
I am in a college course that basically is just surveying knowledge.

From doing orienteering as a Boy Scout 15 or so years ago, I am absolutely running circles around the early-20s.

It’s just some basic trigonometry applied, but concepts like bearing being an angle from north or south is strange to them because they’re so far removed from a magnetic compass that points north-south. I actually have had to bring my Cammenga and show them to get the point across. A lot of them have never seen a magnetic compass.

Talking about degrees, minutes, and seconds as a system for measuring angles being essentially base 60 is difficult to get across to people who aren’t great with fractions (because calculators give exact answers in decimal) and don’t get the exposure to angles relating to numbers via analog clocks.

The moral of the story is, if you think college is hard, just quit and then go back a decade later and you can be at the top of the class.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:29:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Water-proof maps are not new.

https://mapstore.mytopo.com
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely crucial for any large metropolitan area in the analog days. Either find the information in the big yellow book or, aghast call and ask for information/directions.

Water-proof maps are not new.

https://mapstore.mytopo.com

No they are not. Back when i used to generate my own custom topo maps with Delorme software, I'd read that old map makers would treat paper maps with "sweet oil" to set the ink and repel water. Found out "sweet oil" is another name for olive oil. Tried it with my printed maps. It worked well. I still have few that still look sharp and they were made almost 20 years ago. I did that until i found Nat-Geo paper.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:38:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

FP does not NI
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:52:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:59:39 AM EDT
[#42]
I used to deliver pizzas for Dominos in the mid-80’s well before GPS and smart phones. We had a huge wall map of our town that we used before making a delivery. Most times we had to deliver 2 to 3 separate orders at a time and have the pizza at the door within 30 minutes of the order being placed. So we had to study that wall map real good and memorize our routes for each delivery during our shifts.
I got real good at reading maps and prefer them to GPS.

I used to have the old, spiral bound Mapsco maps. I can’t find those anymore, though. When my wife puts on the GPS, it just tells me where to go and when to turn. She’s fine with that, but I’m not. When I’m driving, I have to pull over and look at the route myself so I know exactly where the destination is and the route it’s chosen to get me there. Sometimes the route chosen makes no sense compared to other routes I can plainly see on the GPS map, and often it’s because it may have routed me around a traffic jam. I don’t know how it knows there’s a traffic jam, but that feature has saved me some time. So in that sense it has an advantage over a regular paper map. But a few times it got the route completely wrong and sent me to some place other than the destination we were trying to get to. Not sure why that’s happened, but it’s happened a few times to us.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 6:51:16 AM EDT
[#43]
You can't get there from here.

I just wish on electronic maps there were a few here there be dragons and more badly rendered symbols of spouting whales and mermaids.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 6:56:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Prior to GPS I used maps all the time when I traveled. Easy enough to do.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 7:01:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shit, some people couldn't read road maps when maps were all we had.
Give them a topography map and compass and it was hieroglyphics.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top