Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 109
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:21:30 PM EDT
[#1]
What is the number of registered 2000 AWB era guns in California? Is it over the 250k mark?
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:21:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If this stay sticks around for awhile wouldn't it be impossible to prove that your pre 4/19 dated mags were purchased from 3/29/19 - 4/5/2019?

Some were gifts so no receipts. The law didn't state anywhere that a purchaser was required to keep a receipt of proof of purchase.

A Kali resident could have purchased used mags with any pre 4/19 date code it seems. So all those that were "discovered" pre 4/19 would theoretically be legal. Just a thought.
View Quote
There is no prohibition on the possession of standard capacity mags. once the mag is in the state, nobody cares when it was acquired. You guys from out of state are imagining restrictions that do not actually exist.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:21:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yep, he would be wonderful on SCOTUS.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  I love his writings on 2a stuff.  He attempts to address and counter every opposing argument.  They're well-reasoned.

Trouble is, opposing Judges don't always agree on these things.  And this will be a de novo review, so they'll review everything themselves and make up their own minds.

Man, I'd love him on SCOTUS though
If he were nominated they would just dredge up some insufferable cunt that he may or may not have passed in a grocery store aisle 30 years ago that says he sexually harassed/assaulted her
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:23:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Read this very carefully:

IT IS HEREBY FURTHER ORDERED that the permanent injunction
enjoining enforcement of California Penal Code § 32310 (a) and (b) shall remain in
effect for those persons and business entities who have manufactured, imported,
sold, or bought magazines able to hold more than 10 rounds between the entry of
this Court’s injunction on March 29, 2019 and 5:00 p.m., Friday, April 5, 2019.
Dated: April 4, 2019
View Quote
Read it again.

enjoining enforcement of California Penal Code § 32310 (a) and (b) shall remain in
View Quote
One more time

View Quote
The order does NOT apply to the magazines, it applies to the persons or business entities.

In other words, if you exercised your right to be immune from 32310 (a) and (b) between 3/29/2019 and 4/5/2019 you remain immune during this stay. The magazines you ordered are not magically special and themselves immune, YOU ARE. It never says you have to stop ordering at 5PM tomorrow, only that you had to have ordered at least one before then to remain a more equal animal.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My only worry is that would be shot down using bumpstocks as a standard.
Couple hundred thousand doesn't rise to the level of common use.

Shit, even in CA I know well over a dozen people who own ARs, AKs and other semi auto rifles. These are just friends, family, coworkers, industry cohorts, coworkers, people I have met on jobsites,  random people I have gotten to talking to etc, not fellow forum members, people I met at the range or gun related activities.
And I don't know that many people.

But they are still considered "not in common use"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At what number do you guys think would be considered “common use”?

I wonder if the legal team would work with the big distributors during this window to get an estimate of mags sold and then push more for common use?

What is the next step? Appeal to 9th Circuit? Then if they shut it do it goes to US Surpreme Court? Just trying to wrap my brain around the entire process.
My only worry is that would be shot down using bumpstocks as a standard.
Couple hundred thousand doesn't rise to the level of common use.

Shit, even in CA I know well over a dozen people who own ARs, AKs and other semi auto rifles. These are just friends, family, coworkers, industry cohorts, coworkers, people I have met on jobsites,  random people I have gotten to talking to etc, not fellow forum members, people I met at the range or gun related activities.
And I don't know that many people.

But they are still considered "not in common use"
Was the “common use” argued with bumpstocks? I thought it was just an ATF ruling they were considers machine guns.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:24:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Undated but more important pre 4/19 dated mags That leaves many, many, many mags haha!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another item that will soon be smuggled in to California on a regular basis Undated magazines.
Undated but more important pre 4/19 dated mags That leaves many, many, many mags haha!
Yep can get about any mag you want and it will be hard to prove you didn't get them during the purchase window.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:25:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm willing to buy that 226 mag. In CA as well.
View Quote
Don't worry about buying it. The guys here have been awesome and I have some ARs mags that were sent to me at no cost.. I want to pay it forward. PM me with your shipping info, its yours for free.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There is no prohibition on the possession of standard capacity mags. once the mag is in the state, nobody cares when it was acquired. You guys from out of state are imagining restrictions that do not actually exist.
View Quote
If that were the case and the end of it, then my thinking on this whole situation might change.

But that's not the end of it, is it?  Doesn't the law being challenged ban them entirely?  (Destroy, turn in, sell out of state) SB-1446

If the court upholds the law, these mags and the old mags will all be part of the same banned pool of mags.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:28:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Read it again.

One more time

The order does NOT apply to the magazines, it applies to the persons or business entities.

In other words, if you exercised your right to be immune from 32310 (a) and (b) between 3/29/2019 and 4/5/2019 you remain immune during this stay. The magazines you ordered are not magically special and themselves immune, YOU ARE. It never says you have to stop ordering at 5PM tomorrow, only that you had to have ordered at least one before then to remain a more equal animal.
View Quote
I like where you are going with this.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read it again.

One more time

I'm not going anywhere - Benitez gave CA DOJ what they asked for, not what they wanted.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:32:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Send me a shipping addy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone got a line on some SP01 mags? Got a coworker who just had a kid and doesn’t really have the time to hunt some down, appreciate any help.
Send me a shipping addy.
You are awesome! PM sent.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:32:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
there are 2 separate laws at play here. the older one bans acquiring new mags after a certain date; the other, newer law, bans the possession of mags over 10 rounds. the newer law is the one that was stopped from going into effect
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:33:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Outstanding summary.  Thank you.

Now, just to be clear, the new law was signed into law in 2016 right?  And it's basically SAFE 2.0?  Get rid of them by turning them in, destroy them, or sell them out of state?  But it never came into effect because it was stayed in response to this lawsuit?
View Quote
Yes, an 11th hour stay right before a law that would have made possession an infraction. (Infractions in California are non-bookable offenses punishable by a fine only of usually between $10-$100.00.)

So in that last week leading up to the law going into effect, you would imagine there were thousands of people turning in thousands of mags. But that never happened. I've heard there was one guy in LA and he was the only person in the entire state that turned in a magazine. Everyone else kept their stuff.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:34:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Hahaha.

Hmmm, maybe we shouldn't point out the wording there too much. Said judge is quite the wordsmith and since words have legal consequence, perhaps that was not by accident.
View Quote
Some people are catching on, but most haven't yet.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:35:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Read it again.

One more time

View Quote
You were not supposed to tell, yet.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Read it again.

One more time

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Read it again.

One more time

Thoughts @NoloContendere ?
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:36:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If RBG croaks it's going to make the Kavanaugh hearings look like a walk in the park
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's no lie.  Never know what Roberts would do at this point.  Trump's window, assuming he's not going to get a second term, is closing during which he can appoint someone without controversy though.  We held the dems off on Garland for like 8 months or something during the election year.  I'd say that Trump has about a year left before there would be a lot of political flak from him trying to appoint a replacement for her during an election season.
If RBG croaks it's going to make the Kavanaugh hearings look like a walk in the park
Yeah, no shit...
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:36:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If that were the case and the end of it, then my thinking on this whole situation might change.

But that's not the end of it, is it?  Doesn't the law being challenged ban them entirely?  (Destroy, turn in, sell out of state) SB-1446

If the court upholds the law, these mags and the old mags will all be part of the same banned pool of mags.
View Quote
Yes. But its an infraction and nobody in California cares about an infraction ticket.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:38:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read it again.

One more time

What, I can't say that Brownells and Palmetto State Armory and every other vendor, along with *EVERY CUSTOMER THAT HAS PURCHASED AT LEAST ONE MAG IN THE PAST WEEK* can continue doing business with full protection of the United States Southern District of California Court?
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#20]
With all this legal fuckery going on, people in CA should just do whatever the hell they want to. Nobody is going to be able to tell one way or the other.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:42:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Someone just sent me a link to PSA's case pricing on pmags,  -definitely cheaper by the case!
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:43:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
With all this legal fuckery going on, people in CA should just do whatever the hell they want to. Nobody is going to be able to tell one way or the other.
View Quote
Californians! Rise up! Burn your bras! Wear white after labor day! Feed a Gremlin after midnight! Unfuck your rifles!
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:43:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Read it again.

One more time

View All Quotes
Quoted:

enjoining enforcement of California Penal Code  32310 (a) and (b) shall remain in
this Court's injunction on March 29, 2019 and 5:00 p.m., Friday, April 5, 2019.
Read it again.

enjoining enforcement of California Penal Code  32310 (a) and (b) shall remain in
One more time

IN!...

...still
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:44:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

........Also.. anyone here in CA need a 32 round P226 mag in what could be 9mm or 40mm? As far as I know the 9mm and 40mm are interchangeable for the P226. I don't own a Sig, but was given the mag as a rebuild when buying rebuild kits was still legal in CA... since the ruling, its been assembled and is now protected. Don't know the brand, but it appears to be functional. I can send it out tomorrow morning before work to the first person to PM me.
View Quote
"Kits" can be assembled? I been trying to get a straight answer to this?
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:44:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What, I can't say that Brownells and Palmetto State Armory and every other vendor, along with *EVERY CUSTOMER THAT HAS PURCHASED AT LEAST ONE MAG IN THE PAST WEEK* can continue doing business with full protection of the United States Southern District of California Court?
View Quote
You were supposed to let them keep freaking out about I ordered mags on this day and they shipped on this day but the USPS semi trailer might not cross into the state until X day, so when will the ATF arrest me, should i turn myself in now posts....
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:49:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Read it again.

One more time

View Quote
So there is a possibility we can order after 5pm tomorrow? Would this apply to "importing" as well? If only ordering is the case.. I might have to look in the couch for spare change and order at least 1, ha!
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You were supposed to let them keep freaking out about I ordered mags on this day and they shipped on this day but the USPS semi trailer might not cross into the state until X day, so when will the ATF arrest me, should i turn myself in now posts....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seeing as how nothing seems to mandate how magazines need to be destroyed and tracked....

Every man, woman, and child in California that has purchased a magazine in the past week has the legal right to continue to order such magazines under this permanent ruling. If those men, women, or children were to accidentally drop those magazines on the ground and others picked them up, oh well.

There is also no legal requirement for tracking receipts for purchases, so anyone that is willing to file a use tax for a magazine purchase, regardless of if they retain any form of receipt, is going to be assumed by the state to be such a person. And anyone that can claim to have been gifted a magazine, as so many have been, is under no legal obligation to establish the provenance of said magazine that they received during this brief period of freedom.

It would, quite frankly, be impossible to establish, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that any given Californian was not such a person, unless they were already incarcerated or dead during the past week.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:49:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No one has a universally accepted standard for what constitutes "common use".  The one thing that can be said for certain is that it can only help to keep buying if you live in free states and encourage friends and family to do the same thing.

The next step is the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.  It will be reviewed de novo (as new).

The step after that would probably be an appeal to have the case heard en banc (by the entire 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, rather than a panel of Judges).

The last step would be an appeal to SCOTUS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At what number do you guys think would be considered “common use”?

I wonder if the legal team would work with the big distributors during this window to get an estimate of mags sold and then push more for common use?

What is the next step? Appeal to 9th Circuit? Then if they shut it do it goes to US Surpreme Court? Just trying to wrap my brain around the entire process.
No one has a universally accepted standard for what constitutes "common use".  The one thing that can be said for certain is that it can only help to keep buying if you live in free states and encourage friends and family to do the same thing.

The next step is the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.  It will be reviewed de novo (as new).

The step after that would probably be an appeal to have the case heard en banc (by the entire 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, rather than a panel of Judges).

The last step would be an appeal to SCOTUS.
I would say that, by any standard, 10s of millions would constitute common use. Millions of AR15s and AK were delivered new with 20 and 30 round magazines and then of course 10s, if not 100s, of millions more aftermarket magazines have been sold by magpul and all of the others in the last 40 years.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:51:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Re:   CZ

Please ALSO email   CZcustom.com

That address goes to Angus Hobdel, CZ's longtime main sponsored competition shooter.

Angus is on our side (don't blast him).  But he has pull with CZ-USA and might be able to show our emails to corporate and get them to change their policy.

Keep up the pressure on CZ.  We need them on our side (now and for the many fights to save our freedom yet to come).
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

"Kits" can be assembled? I been trying to get a straight answer to this?
View Quote
Yes, that falls under "manufacturing" per the state of CA. Put all of your rebuilds together and you're protected :)
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:54:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If he were nominated they would just dredge up some insufferable cunt that he may or may not have passed in a grocery store aisle 30 years ago that says he sexually harassed/assaulted her
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  I love his writings on 2a stuff.  He attempts to address and counter every opposing argument.  They're well-reasoned.

Trouble is, opposing Judges don't always agree on these things.  And this will be a de novo review, so they'll review everything themselves and make up their own minds.

Man, I'd love him on SCOTUS though
Benetiz is already on senior status, aka, semi-retired. He's 68 years old. Clarence Thomas is 70 and people are crying for him to retire while Trump is President.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:54:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Anyone know what company has black Scar 17 20rd magazines available? They seemed to be sold out everywhere. I managed to order 6 on 03/30 but only got an order confirmation since then, hasn't shipped yet and no answer when trying to contact them. I am not counting on ever receiving those
View Quote
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1521457
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:55:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Seeing as how nothing seems to mandate how magazines need to be destroyed and tracked....

Every man, woman, and child in California that has purchased a magazine in the past week has the legal right to continue to order such magazines under this permanent ruling. If those men, women, or children were to accidentally drop those magazines on the ground and others picked them up, oh well.

There is also no legal requirement for tracking receipts for purchases, so anyone that is willing to file a use tax for a magazine purchase, regardless of if they retain any form of receipt, is going to be assumed by the state to be such a person. And anyone that can claim to have been gifted a magazine, as so many have been, is under no legal obligation to establish the provenance of said magazine that they received during this brief period of freedom.

It would, quite frankly, be impossible to establish, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that any given Californian was not such a person, unless they were already incarcerated or dead during the past week.
View Quote
None of this is permanent until the appeals process is done.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:58:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is permanent in the sense that until such time as the 9th circuit or SCOTUS decides to rule in favor of CA DOJ, it has no expiration date.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 11:00:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

He opened up a giant economy sized can of Caetano v. Massachusetts on CA DOJ.
View Quote
I've thought about that angle.  You might be totally right.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 11:02:11 PM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone know what company has black Scar 17 20rd magazines available? They seemed to be sold out everywhere. I managed to order 6 on 03/30 but only got an order confirmation since then, hasn't shipped yet and no answer when trying to contact them. I am not counting on ever receiving those
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1521457
@realwar Thank you! Someone on here pointed out a bit ago about GrabAGun.com having them in stock. I ordered as many as I could afford there so my Scar 17 will be a happy camper
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 11:05:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Anyone have a line on a 25 round .308 pmag that's in stock and will ship to CA?
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 11:08:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Read it again.

One more time

View Quote
That may be a too liberal interpretation.

Again, act on your own risk tolerance.

I don't think a court would agree with that application of the Order.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 11:09:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yep can get about any mag you want and it will be hard to prove you didn't get them during the purchase window.
View Quote
Since the burden is on the state, non-dated mags would have a lot of flexibility.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 11:13:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
How do you confirm magazine purchase date?
View Quote
Best they can do is lot numbers. The problem is there are so many new mags with lot numbers from like yesterday to Eugene Stoner was futzing around with an aluminum toy with parts made by a toy company (yes I know that is not true) that anything other than a lot number from next year is not going to be accurate.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 11:13:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 11:14:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Receipt ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do you confirm magazine purchase date?
Receipt ?
None of the Paypal transactions will mention firearms. So those are ghosts.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 11:15:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I emailed calguns admins and offered free mags, and included other opportunities to get mags. I'm not a member there but I've seen jack and shit on my offer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I keep seeing the Calguns claim that DSG isn't shipping.  This is incorrect.  They took my order on Saturday, charged the card on Monday, and I got a shipping notice on Tuesday.

DSG has been in from the start.

Eta Numrich too, for hard to find items.
I emailed calguns admins and offered free mags, and included other opportunities to get mags. I'm not a member there but I've seen jack and shit on my offer.
Sign up for a membership it costs nothing. I might have sold a mag or two through them.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 11:15:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Buy, buy, buy!  Like your life and your loved ones depended on it!  
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 11:18:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Who's got some 40 rounders?
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 11:18:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's permanent. There's no way to go back in time and pretend that millions of magazines made it in, in the course of a week.

Undefined is right...people can and should continue to purchase magazines past the Friday "deadline", as the door was opened so wide that it's impossible to close now.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 11:20:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Who's got some 40 rounders?
View Quote
@HLS30

I believe Botach Tactical has 3 packs of the 40-rounders for sale. I've not had a problem ordering from Botach, and they are shipping to CA.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 11:21:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 11:21:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
There was a traffic jam on the boarder, only half of the trailer was in CA @ 5pm. Your package was near the rear, sorry.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 11:25:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What is the number of registered 2000 AWB era guns in California? Is it over the 250k mark?
View Quote
I doubt it.  Considering what was potentially at stake the .gov was pretty nonchalant about getting the word out.  Lots of unregistered pre 2000 weapons out there, some due to noncompliance, my bet is most just because the owners didn't know.
Page / 109
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top