Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 2:48:17 AM EDT
[#1]
heres some things you should consider: theres some translation interpretations that "light" and "dark" in genesis mean "progress, postive phase" and "nothing, negative phase", which genesis says something like, god saw light was good, and separated the light from darkness. he called the light "day" and the darkness "night". so if you keep reading genesis, when it starts listing days, it can be read as the first day = first creation, 2nd day = 2nd creation etc. Also, the first 2 verses in genesis in english uses the term darkness, when other translations are more specific, and use words akin to "stuggle, calamity". if you use this definition for "darkness" it changes the meaning of the verse dramatically.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 4:19:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Genetically dominant and superior humans live longer and breeding with relatives has no negative effects.
So why did they start dying younger and younger?

Did they not follow God's advice, such as eating and dealing with animals that viruses easily jumped to humans?
Did those offspring that sinned the most corrupt their DNA? Is this why God told them not to take wives from certain peoples?

Maybe we have cancer today because when he commanded them to kill all the people and animals they didn't.
View Quote
It was probably STD's. But then some cancers are STD's.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 8:45:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
heres some things you should consider: theres some translation interpretations that "light" and "dark" in genesis mean "progress, postive phase" and "nothing, negative phase", which genesis says something like, god saw light was good, and separated the light from darkness. he called the light "day" and the darkness "night". so if you keep reading genesis, when it starts listing days, it can be read as the first day = first creation, 2nd day = 2nd creation etc. Also, the first 2 verses in genesis in english uses the term darkness, when other translations are more specific, and use words akin to "stuggle, calamity". if you use this definition for "darkness" it changes the meaning of the verse dramatically.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Explaining the details of fantasies doesn't concern me
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 8:52:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Explaining the details of fantasies doesn't concern me
View Quote
Stories engrained in the human psyche that cross cultures and civilizations and which date back to before recorded history are of zero relevance because... fantasies. Just wild fantasies.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 9:18:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes, all that is in the bible.  There was a heavy dew (Genesis 2:5-6).  God simply did not water the earth with rain until the flood.  Cain grew crops and yes, there was enough light for crop growth (obveously, since it says he grew them).  I know some think this is all fairy tales.  But if God says it happened, I believe it.  If I'm wrong, we're both screwed and just croak.  If you're wrong, you are screwed and I'm in Heaven.  
Water in the earth:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/earth/huge-underground-reservoir-holds-three-times-much-water-earths-oceans/
View Quote
Well first off, I am not an atheist, which I guess you assumed. I am just looking to find out how you have come to your conclusions.
Second, how can there be so little light that the sun had no effect on their bodies, but enough light to make crops grow?
Third, I looked at the scripture you posted and didn't see anything about dew or cloud cover. Is that in a different part?
You also didn't answer why there would be no rain with extremely thick cloud cover or if modern people who get exposed to little sunlight would live longer.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well first off, I am not an atheist, which I guess you assumed. I am just looking to find out how you have come to your conclusions.
Second, how can there be so little light that the sun had no effect on their bodies, but enough light to make crops grow?
Third, I looked at the scripture you posted and didn't see anything about dew or cloud cover. Is that in a different part?
You also didn't answer why there would be no rain with extremely thick cloud cover or if modern people who get exposed to little sunlight would live longer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, all that is in the bible.  There was a heavy dew (Genesis 2:5-6).  God simply did not water the earth with rain until the flood.  Cain grew crops and yes, there was enough light for crop growth (obveously, since it says he grew them).  I know some think this is all fairy tales.  But if God says it happened, I believe it.  If I'm wrong, we're both screwed and just croak.  If you're wrong, you are screwed and I'm in Heaven.  
Water in the earth:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/earth/huge-underground-reservoir-holds-three-times-much-water-earths-oceans/
There are lots of immediate problems with the no rain nonsense including:

1. Polar ice caps show records for precipitation (snow) dating back many 100's of thousands of years.

2. No rain would imply a constant earth temp which we know is impossible from earth's orbit around the son.

3. Exposure to little sunlight causes vitamin D deficiency which lead to weak bones and problems with child birth, and depression among other things.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 11:24:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A full grown human being? no. I don't believe that's how life started.  A woman from a rib, probably not.
View Quote
Cloning technology?
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

And evolution is unproven.
View Quote
No it's not
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 4:04:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Cloning technology?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A full grown human being? no. I don't believe that's how life started.  A woman from a rib, probably not.
Cloning technology?
Now that's at least plausible.

Have you looked into th Annunaki?
The Annunaki.

Their flood myth includes not animals two by two, but storing the dna instead.
Epic of Gilgamesh
They also knew where the planets were.
Attachment Attached File

Apologetics say Christianity is true because of how old it is, the Mesopotamians have them beat by miles.  Very interesting early religion.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That makes much more sense. Not so much about cloning but how we all started one place and have conquered the world
View Quote
I should have included Genesis 2:23, "The man said, "This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called 'woman,' for she was taken out of man."

The fascinating thing is, its only recently that humans are able to understand all the implications of Adam's statement.  Before knowing about DNA and cloning, Adam's statement was only poetry.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 7:07:14 PM EDT
[#13]
All 11 of them?  I guess we need to keep looking.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
umm yeah, its amazing how so many people criticize the bible or says it says things when it clearly states otherwise. I dont understand how people can confuse the talmud as applying to all of humanity, when it very clearly is a rough genealogy and history of his "chosen people" aka the Jews. ...
View Quote
If you're going to criticize other people for not understanding the Bible, you should first learn the difference between the Torah and the Talmud.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The Annunaki supposedly came from the planet Nibiru.  What some believe to be planet X, or planet 9.  Planet 9, 10 and 11?  This is people from 3000 bc remember, it's amazing they had a concept of planets at all.  I'll forgive them for not getting it perfect.  Maybe they knew something we don't, maybe not.  There sure is a lot to discover out there.

How many planets are mentioned in the bible?
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 7:09:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Pluto, Eris, Haumea, and Makemake.

There’s actually more than 11 if you are willing to get as small as Haumea and Ceres.

You also have moon like Earth’s, Ganymede, and Titan that are all larger than the Dawrf Planets. So that’s another way to get 11.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 8:27:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Stories engrained in the human psyche that cross cultures and civilizations and which date back to before recorded history are of zero relevance because... fantasies. Just wild fantasies.
View Quote
Every society tries to explain the unexplainable in terms the teller and recipient can comprehend. Of course there is some cross-pollination of these stories between cultures. Doesn't mean that they all come from actual events.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 8:31:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
None of it happened.
View Quote
Or all of it happened
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 6:16:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Cain married a woman from the land of Nod and bore a son, Enoch. That woman was of no relation.

There were clearly other proto-humans in the region, just none that met whatever standard led to the Fall story.

Frankly, Bible stories make a whole lot more sense enlightened by science than placed in opposition to science.
View Quote
Was gonna try to stay out of this thread, religion thread in GD lol, but decided to post anyway. Was actually going to post the same thing you did. You know we disagree more than not, but I have to say, I’m usually impressed by the range of topics on which you’re knowledgeable.

Don’t let that go to your head.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Verse?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what I conclude as well. There were other people outside of Adam and Eve. The Bible pretty much says so.
Verse?
Well when God marked Cane he sent him to live in the land of Nod, and the mark was so the people there would know he was a murderer.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Evolution.
As someone who isn't religious

That doesn't prove it didnt happen
lol
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#22]
This pseudosciencey bs that gets posted in these threads is always hilarious.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 6:46:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Just a little food for thought...

At the time of Adam and eve humans were already in agrarian civilization,,,,

No mention of hunter gatherer societies,

Perhaps is more story of the first modern civilization, rather than  A story of the first human beings.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 7:27:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Well when God marked Cane he sent him to live in the land of Nod, and the mark was so the people there would know he was a murderer.
View Quote
.....and those people just magically appeared.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 9:41:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There’s actually more than 11 if you are willing to get as small as Haumea and Ceres.

You also have moon like Earth’s, Ganymede, and Titan that are all larger than the Dawrf Planets. So that’s another way to get 11.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you implying that they could have identified those objects?  Might as well throw Oumuamua on the list in your fantasy world.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 9:46:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Go to adam and eve . com.  the answer is there.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 9:50:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Are you implying that they could have identified those objects?  Might as well throw Oumuamua on the list in your fantasy world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, not at all. Not even suggesting that image shows planets.

Just responding to a suggestion that, were someone to have asserted there were “11 planets,” this wouldn’t necessarily mean we’d have yet to discover them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Cain married a woman from the land of Nod and bore a son, Enoch. That woman was of no relation.

There were clearly other proto-humans in the region, just none that met whatever standard led to the Fall story.

Frankly, Bible stories make a whole lot more sense enlightened by science than placed in opposition to science.
View Quote
I know right. My fake stories about magic always become more believable when I inject nuggets of truth in them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 9:55:38 PM EDT
[#29]
People can debate evolution all they want, but we can look around and see de-evolution everywhere.

Probably the reason they lived 900 years and we don’t. The genetics weren’t as jacked up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just a little food for thought...

At the time of Adam and eve humans were already in agrarian civilization,,,,

No mention of hunter gatherer societies,

Perhaps is more story of the first modern civilization, rather than  A story of the first human beings.
View Quote
It's interesting, I think Genesis is partly a metaphor for the transition from hunter-gatherer to agriculture.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 10:09:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm not taking sides here, but isn't that pretty much the theory of evolution?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Evolution.
As someone who isn't religious

That doesn't prove it didnt happen
You're right.  Man being created out of mud is much more likely.
I'm not taking sides here, but isn't that pretty much the theory of evolution?
It could be if you take the position that Genesis is meant as an allegory.

There’s a problem with that. The Hebrew language uses different grammatical structure for metaphors / allegorical writing than it does for text meant to be taken literally. The portions of the Old Testament dealing with the law is written with the historical / literal construction.

As is Genesis.

The Hebrews that wrote it down took it as a historical account and recorded it that way.

It’s either correct or it isn’t. Everyone’s just going to have to decide what they believe and what they don’t.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 10:20:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
People can debate evolution all they want, but we can look around and see de-evolution everywhere.

Probably the reason they lived 900 years and we don’t. The genetics weren’t as jacked up.
View Quote
Where can this de-evolution be seen?
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 10:22:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Really can't use that as proof of "de-evolution"

There is no physical evidence of humans living that long.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 10:27:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No it's not
View Quote
Point to the experiment that demonstrates one species evolving into another.

This is the problem. You can run an experiment showing adaptation via natural selection. You cannot demonstrate experimentally a simpler species evolving into another, more complex one. No one lives long enough to do the experiment properly.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 10:36:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Where can this de-evolution be seen?
View Quote
Congress.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This is the problem. You can run an experiment showing adaptation via natural selection. You cannot demonstrate experimentally a simpler species evolving into another, more complex one. No one lives long enough to do the experiment properly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it's not

You don’t need a direct observation of speciation to find evidence of evolution. You’ll find it everywhere in the world of genetics.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 10:43:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Adam and Eve is a sex toy shop chain.
NOAA (pronounced Noah) is a weather station you might listen to when boating.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 10:47:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You don’t need a direct observation of speciation to find evidence of evolution. You’ll find it everywhere in the world of genetics.
View Quote
In other words, you are inferring it without observing it or testing it.

Leaving out for just a moment the question of where all the species came from to start with, seeing species that share similar traits could be evidence of evolution...or could be evidence that there are a limited number of successful ways to survive, so successful species will tend to share some successful traits. These are not the same thing.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 10:50:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
You're kidding right?  Humans have never lived 900 or even 150.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 10:51:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Proof of de-evolution.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 10:56:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
See previous. The Genesis account is either right or wrong. People have to decide for themselves which it is. I’ve decided it’s accurate. So no, not kidding.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 11:17:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Let me see if i remember

3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years and begat a son in his own image; and called his name Seth:

6 And Seth lived an hundred and five years, and begat Enos:

9 And Enos lived ninety years, and begat Cainan:

12 And Cainan lived seventy years, and begat Mahalaleel:

15 And Mahalaleel lived sixty and five years, and begat Jared:

18 And Jared lived an hundred sixty and two years, and he begat Enoch:

21 And Enoch lived sixty and five years, and begat Methuselah:

25 And Methuselah lived an hundred eighty and seven years, and begat Lamech:

28 And Lamech lived an hundred eighty and two years, and begat a son:
29 And he called his name Noah,...
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 11:21:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

There are lots of immediate problems with the no rain nonsense including:

1. Polar ice caps show records for precipitation (snow) dating back many 100's of thousands of years.

2. No rain would imply a constant earth temp which we know is impossible from earth's orbit around the son.

3. Exposure to little sunlight causes vitamin D deficiency which lead to weak bones and problems with child birth, and depression among other things.
View Quote
1) 260ft in 46 years

2) Mars Earth Wars
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 11:31:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Attachment Attached File

Funny how young earth creationists rebuttal to evolution is hyper-evolution.
Unless you claim that Noah took two of every species of every type of animal, instead of "kinds".

Based on the "kinds" model we should be seeing 35-40 new species every day.  Which of course we don't.

How come the fossil record contradicts the flood model?  But is consistent with an evolutionary model?  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 11:34:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
So God created Adam and Eve, they had children, and their child married a woman from a different village/region.  It kind of blows the whole creation story out the window.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 11:42:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
But who begat the people from Nod if Adam and Eve were the first and only creation of God according to the bible?
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 11:42:45 PM EDT
[#47]
I dont know man, I imagine it was about the same sway the Major Alan "Dutch" Schaefer was able to outwit an advanced allien hunter who was systematically hunting down his SF one by one.  Somebody thought up some random ass story, wrote it down.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 11:51:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
See previous. The Genesis account is either right or wrong. People have to decide for themselves which it is. I’ve decided it’s accurate. So no, not kidding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Poe's law shit right here.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 11:55:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

So God created Adam and Eve, they had children, and their child married a woman from a different village/region.  It kind of blows the whole creation story out the window.  
View Quote
Don't worry someone will be along with an imaginary made up story to justify it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 11:57:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
And, how did they progress from nice WASPY names like Adam and Eve to Meshac and Abednego?

And the back again to Paul, Dave, and Mark?
View Quote
Where do you think WASPs got those ever so common names from?  The Bible of course!
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top