BCM
User Panel

Page / 288
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 5:57:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
They witnessed the inherent violence of the bounce house system.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 5:57:46 PM EDT
[#2]
The last two council members were complaining about how horrified citizens are, that men in 4*4's are in neighborhoods with hateful signs, making people feel unsafe, yelling at people in masks, that women and gay people are unsafe (yet cannot account for a single crime or assault),  they are just scared shitless, or so they claim.

They say Americans are part of the issue.

The want to leverage insurance and licensing, as if they could somehow punish people via that route, and it is being investigated.

Toronto apparently didn't even bother with enforcement, but issued fines to people's homes, and one person asked that ottowa start doing that.

Chief sloly said he will keep trying to improve safety and make the protesters disperse but is limited by funds and forces, and that just because he legally could do some things does not make it right to do, that some actions would escalate issues and cause violence.  So at least he is still rational unlike other council members,  and he admitted the truckers are accommodating in moving and opening lanes, etc for ambulance and other issues,
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 5:57:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Don't forget us "fucking Yankees"
View Quote

How could we? You guys never shut up.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 5:58:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sounds like they want Rock-Concert quality guitar amps and speakers to have the fun now.
The noise will go from occasional to continuous.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DojIplpUwAAcxWt.jpg

Dear wealthy city people that don't object when their choice politicians punch down at the serf class that they genuinely believe is beneath them,
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/144599/demjimmies_jpg-2270598.JPG
View Quote
Yes please.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 5:58:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

We can't bash gun grabbers any more?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there an explanation as to why we aren’t allowed to even discuss police taking gas?? Out of all the police shooting /warrant threads it’s them stealing diesel fuel that is the line in the sand around here? The Canada protest is easily the biggest news in two years of Covid and we aren’t allowed to talk about the police officers actions there?

there is no issue in discussing that.

the issue is people lumping all LE together stating they are nazis or all of them will be happy to put people in cattle cars to send them to concentration camps. discussing that issue like rational adults is 100% fine. People SHOULD be outraged and concerned about it, but the site has rules that must also be followed.

Discussion of individual officers or events is fine. Generalized bashing of LE or frankly any group is not and never has been here.

We can't bash gun grabbers any more?
Strikes me, you don't have to do anything more with them than just tell the absolute bare facts truth about them. like how the last time I looked, if you are a 90 lb woman and are getting raped, if you use a weapon against your attacker, you get in trouble with the law.

ETA: In the UK.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cops gonna start arresting geese?  
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#7]
We are literally watching history in the making, folks. Unless something major happens, I don't see this ending civilly

Unstoppable force collides with immovable object.

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Leave now or you lose your truck?

You mean, the SAME trucks you're making useless because they won't take the shot?

Send this fool back to kindergarten and make him watch sesame street again. He clearly didn't get it the first time.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:02:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We are literally watching history in the making, folks. Unless something major happens, I don't see this ending civilly

View Quote
Sadly I agree. The rhetoric we're hearing today will be used as justification for what the gov does tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:03:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The OP of the thread that got locked LITERALLY said in the opening post that "every single police officer" would kill you or load you into cattle cars if ordered to.

So no, your statement that it is "pretty obvious" that nobody is saying all cops are bad is incorrect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there an explanation as to why we aren't allowed to even discuss police taking gas?? Out of all the police shooting /warrant threads it's them stealing diesel fuel that is the line in the sand around here? The Canada protest is easily the biggest news in two years of Covid and we aren't allowed to talk about the police officers actions there?

there is no issue in discussing that.

the issue is people lumping all LE together stating they are nazis or all of them will be happy to put people in cattle cars to send them to concentration camps. discussing that issue like rational adults is 100% fine. People SHOULD be outraged and concerned about it, but the site has rules that must also be followed.

Discussion of individual officers or events is fine. Generalized bashing of LE or frankly any group is not and never has been here.

So now we have to put a clarifying point that it's not all cops with every statement we make?

This is nonsense.  You know it is.
Yup. Clown world. It's pretty obvious that when discussing the matter, no one is inferring all cops are bad. We're slowly becoming no better than those demanding we don't assume their gender.

The OP of the thread that got locked LITERALLY said in the opening post that "every single police officer" would kill you or load you into cattle cars if ordered to.

So no, your statement that it is "pretty obvious" that nobody is saying all cops are bad is incorrect.

But if that statement wasn't the first half of the thread title, how much of arf would have seen or read it?
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Chief of RCMP WAS ASKED IF THEY CAN SEIZE VEHICLES, now or a month from now after this is over.  

He said they are exploring all aspects of law and if they can pass legislation to make it possible.  

Insane. It is basically "Let's rob our citizens as they make us look like fools!"
View Quote

"If there isn't a law currently we'll just make one"

The left is ok with this cuz they're not on the receiving end....yet
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The wacky-waving-inflatable-arm-flailing-tube-man industrial complex must be stopped.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:11:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

More like they need several of these guys driving around.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/70832/_-_Copy_jpg-2270631.JPG
View Quote
Or consult with this guy about what the best option is:

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:16:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sadly I agree. The rhetoric we're hearing today will be used as justification for what the gov does tomorrow.
View Quote

The part that really concerns me (that no one is openly discussing) is what happens after this is all over? How will these governments and law enforcement ever earn the trust and respect of its people again? What does society look like in 5, 10, 15 years from now?

1 year from now, just imagine being a Canadian LEO and using the bathroom at a truck stop. Imagine the daggers in those trucker's eyes. Their "leaders" and Law Enforcement have lost control, so they've doubled-down like children. Unwilling to listen or mediate to a resolution.

This kind of behavior is breeding generations of distrustful citizens. The fact that no one in government is considering the long term effects of this is concerning.

Either A) They don't know, or B) They don't care. Which one is worse?

Scary times for sure

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:16:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When push comes to shove, the truckers have all the leverage. And, they know it and so do the impotent fools in the .gov. Their saber rattling has been shown to be from a plastic kids toy. They got nothing and they know it. Somebody from the .gov will be chosen as a the arbiter of sanity, they'll engage in a "tough" negotiation, capitulate completely, then when the truckers leave declare victory.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:19:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Chief of RCMP WAS ASKED IF THEY CAN SEIZE VEHICLES, now or a month from now after this is over.  

He said they are exploring all aspects of law and if they can pass legislation to make it possible.  

Insane. It is basically "Let's rob our citizens as they make us look like fools!"
View Quote

What's that?

Intentionally destroy your logistics infrastructure?

You just can't make this stuff up.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I only watched the city council stream for a few minutes. But it struck me that while I was watching, one of the clowns on there (the one that wants to mail tickets to the truckers homes), referenced enforcement actions that were taken against the "Occupy Toronto" protests some years back. And why can't Ottawa reference the precedent set there, and use tactics, techniques, and court rulings to clamp down on the truckers just how Toronto clamped down on the Occupy protestors.

Things like this should unite us in a big aha moment for people on all sides. At the end of the day, those that govern us don't even care about the specifics of our beliefs or what we're protesting for. They just see us as out-of-line, something to be brought back under control, as a problem that needs to be dealt with as harshly as their tools will allow.

But this will be lost on many, as you said, it's not "their side" (this time), so bring on the oppression.

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:20:59 PM EDT
[#20]
They need the truck caretta trem trem

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Watching the city council meeting.  So far it's basically been the council asking the police what they're going to do to end the protest and the LE guy is looking at them like a deer in headlights.

Its clear that they are completely overwhelmed by the scale of this protest and have no idea how to proceed.
View Quote

Liberal policy makers are so caught up in their own bullshit that they can only see the police as jackboot caricatures. That's why they keep mistaking police apathy for tacit support of the protests. You know what the cops and the protestors probably agree on most? Wanting government morons to leave them alone.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:24:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The part that really concerns me (that no one is openly discussing) is what happens after this is all over? How will these governments and law enforcement ever earn the trust and respect of its people again? What will it take?

1 year from now, just imagine being a Canadian LEO and using the bathroom at a truck stop. Imagine the daggers in those trucker's eyes. Their "leaders" and Law Enforcement have lost control, so they've doubled-down like children. Unwilling to listen or mediate a resolution.

This kind of behavior is breeding generations of distrustful citizens. The fact that no one in government is considering the long term effects of this is concerning.

Scary times for sure

View Quote
Most of the world lives their whole life without trusting or respecting their government and it's enforcers.  Mostly they grumble and get abused while paying the taxes and bribes, rarely they get pissed off and there's shooting.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The part that really concerns me (that no one is openly discussing) is what happens after this is all over? How will these governments and law enforcement ever earn the trust and respect of its people again? What does society look like in 5, 10, 15 years from now?

1 year from now, just imagine being a Canadian LEO and using the bathroom at a truck stop. Imagine the daggers in those trucker's eyes. Their "leaders" and Law Enforcement have lost control, so they've doubled-down like children. Unwilling to listen or mediate to a resolution.

Scary times for sure
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scary times for sure

Option C: they didn't think about that, and they're going to pay for it.

Loss of trust in society carries with it it's own punishments.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Scary times for sure

View Quote

Uh it’s B , it’s been B for ........ever .

They would happily shoot everyone one of those truckers and dump them in a ditch .

How dare they question their masters .

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Next ban: Breathing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Next ban: Breathing.

Ironically, its not banned, but it is regulated.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:27:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Thread needs more hope.

Here:
https://maybury.ca/the-reformed-physicist/2022/02/03/a-night-with-the-untouchables/
A night with the untouchables

I live in downtown Ottawa, right in the middle of the trucker convoy protest. They are literally camped out below my bedroom window. My new neighbours moved in on Friday and they seem determined to stay. I have read a lot about what my new neighbours are supposedly like, mostly from reporters and columnists who write from distant vantage points somewhere in the media heartland of Canada. Apparently the people who inhabit the patch of asphalt next to my bedroom are white supremacists, racists, hatemongers, pseudo-Trumpian grifters, and even QAnon-style nutters. I have a perfect view down Kent Street – the absolute ground zero of the convoy. In the morning, I see some protesters emerge from their trucks to stretch their legs, but mostly throughout the day they remain in their cabs honking their horns. At night I see small groups huddled in quiet conversations in their new found companionship. There is no honking at night. What I haven’t noticed, not even once, are reporters from any of Canada’s news agencies walking among the trucks to find out who these people are. So last night, I decided to do just that – I introduced myself to my new neighbours.
The Convoy on Kent Street. February 2, 2022.

At 10pm I started my walk along – and in – Kent Street. I felt nervous. Would these people shout at me? My clothes, my demeanour, even the way I walk screamed that I’m an outsider. All the trucks were aglow in the late evening mist, idling to maintain warmth, but all with ominously dark interiors. Standing in the middle of the convoy, I felt completely alone as though these giant monsters weren’t piloted by people but were instead autonomous transformer robots from some science fiction universe that had gone into recharging mode for the night. As I moved along I started to notice smatterings of people grouped together between the cabs sharing cigarettes or enjoying light laughs. I kept quiet and moved on. Nearby, I spotted a heavy duty pickup truck, and seeing the silhouette of a person in the driver’s seat, I waved. A young man, probably in his mid 20s, rolled down the window, said hello and I introduced myself. His girlfriend was reclined against the passenger side door with a pillow to proper her up as she watched a movie on her phone. I could easily tell it’s been an uncomfortable few nights. I asked how they felt and I told them I lived across the street. Immediate surprise washed over the young man’s face. He said, “You must hate us. But no one honks past 6pm!” That’s true. As someone who lives right on top of the convoy, there is no noise at night. I said, “No, I don’t hate anyone, but I wanted to find out about you.” The two were from Sudbury Ontario, having arrived on Friday with the bulk of the truckers. I ask what they hoped to achieve, and what they wanted. The young woman in the passenger seat moved forward, excited to share. They said that they didn’t want a country that forced people to get medical treatments such as vaccines. There was no hint of conspiracy theories in their conversation with me, not a hint of racist overtones or hateful demagoguery. I didn’t ask them if they had taken the vaccine, but they were adamant that they were not anti-vaxers.

The next man I ran into was standing in front of the big trucks at the head of the intersection. Past middle age and slightly rotund, he had a face that suggests a lifetime of working outdoors. I introduced myself and he told me we was from Cochrane, Ontario. He also proudly pointed out that he was the block captain who helped maintain order. I thought, oh no, he might be the one person keeping a lid on things; is it all that precarious? I delicately asked how hard his job was to keep the peace but I quickly learned that’s not really what he did. He organized the garbage collection among the cabs, put together snow removal crews to shovel the sidewalks and clear the snow that accumulates on the road. He even has a salting crew for the sidewalks. He proudly bellowed in an irrepressible laugh “We’re taking care of the roads and sidewalks better than the city.” I waved goodbye and continued to the next block.

My next encounter was with a man dressed in dark blue shop-floor coveralls. A wiry man of upper middle age, he seemed taciturn and stood a bit separated from the small crowd that formed behind his cab for a late night smoke. He hailed from the Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia. He owned his own rig, but he only drove truck occasionally, his main job being a self-employed heavy duty mechanic. He closed his shop to drive to Ottawa, because he said, “I don’t want my new granddaughter to live in a country that would strip the livelihood from someone for not getting vaccinated.” He introduced me to the group beside us. A younger crowd, I can remember their bearded faces, from Athabasca, Alberta, and Swift Current Saskatchewan. The weather had warmed, and it began to rain slightly, but they too were excited to tell me why they came to Ottawa. They felt that they needed to stand up to a government that doesn’t understand what their lives are like. To be honest, I don’t know what their lives are like either – a group of young men who work outside all day with tools that they don’t even own. Vaccine mandates are a bridge too far for them. But again, not a hint of anti-vax conspiracy theories or deranged ideology.

I made my way back through the trucks, my next stop leading me to a man of East Indian descent in conversation with a young man from Sylvan Lake, Alberta. They told me how they were following the news of O’Toole’s departure from the Conservative leadership and that they didn’t like how in government so much power has pooled into so few hands.

The rain began to get harder; I moved quickly through the intersection to the next block. This time I waved at a driver in one of the big rigs. Through the rain it was hard to see him, but he introduced himself, an older man, he had driven up from New Brunswick to lend his support. Just behind him some young men from Gaspésie, Quebec introduced themselves to me in their best English. At that time people started to notice me – this man from Ottawa who lives across the street – just having honest conversations with the convoy. Many felt a deep sense of abuse by a powerful government and that no one thinks they matter.

Behind the crowd from Gaspésie sat a stretch van, the kind you often see associated with industrial cleaners. I could see the shadow of a man leaning out from the back as he placed a small charcoal BBQ on the sidewalk next to his vehicle. He introduced himself and told me he was from one of the reservations on Manitoulin Island. Here I was in conversation with an Indigenous man who was fiercely proud to be part of the convoy. He showed me his medicine wheel and he pointed to its colours, red, black, white, and yellow. He said there is a message of healing in there for all the human races, that we can come together because we are all human. He said, “If you ever find yourself on Manitoulin Island, come to my reserve, I would love to show you my community.” I realized that I was witnessing something profound; I don’t know how to fully express it.

As the night wore on and the rain turned to snow, those conversations repeated themselves. The man from Newfoundland with his bullmastiff, a young couple from British Columbia, the group from Winnipeg that together form what they call “Manitoba Corner ” all of them with similar stories. At Manitoba Corner a boisterous heavily tattooed man spoke to me from the cab of his dually pickup truck – a man who had a look that would have fit right in on the set of some motorcycle movie – pointed out that there are no symbols of hate in the convoy. He said, “Yes there was some clown with a Nazi flag on the weekend, and we don’t know where he’s from, but I’ll tell you what, if we see anyone with a Nazi flag or a Confederate flag, we’ll kick his fucking teeth in. No one’s a Nazi here.” Manitoba Corner all gave a shout out to that.

As I finally made my way back home, after talking to dozens of truckers into the night, I realized I met someone from every province except PEI. They all have a deep love for this country. They believe in it. They believe in Canadians. These are the people that Canada relies on to build its infrastructure, deliver its goods, and fill the ranks of its military in times of war. The overwhelming concern they have is that the vaccine mandates are creating an untouchable class of Canadians. They didn’t make high-falutin arguments from Plato’s Republic, Locke’s treatises, or Bagehot’s interpretation of Westminster parliamentary systems. Instead, they see their government willing to push a class of people outside the boundaries of society, deny them a livelihood, and deny them full membership in the most welcoming country in the world; and they said enough. Last night I learned my new neighbours are not a monstrous faceless occupying mob. They are our moral conscience reminding us – with every blow of their horns – what we should have never forgotten: We are not a country that makes an untouchable class out of our citizens.
View Quote

Don't punk out and TL DR. Juice is worth the squeeze.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

The ruling elite will NEVER “pay for it “

And if by some miracle they do ? That’ll be because the entire world went to shit , I mean everywhere is 1000% worse than Haiti or any of those other third world shitholes
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What's that?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's that?

Yup.  Not a peep about impact of their behavior other than hinting if they go aggressive violence could result.  But no acknowledgement stealing their trucks via seizure could result in violence, or that this entire time and after seizing vehicles there is product and chemicals and food and supplies sitting in warehouses or rotting in farms and water treatment plants are running low on chemicals and , and , and...

But they are proud of themselves in that they are collecting info on the trucks and licenses and will be prepared to make their citizens pay...

No "larger picture" thinking.  No one taking a look at the scope or the horizon...
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:32:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is an offshoot from the covid power grab. They've (the entire global cabal) have become so emboldened by the fear and acquiescence of the people, they feel like they can get away with anything. They are drunk with power. This is why it should have been stopped at the beginning but for the doomers. This has never been about a virus.

Thanks doomers. You built this.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Thread needs more hope.

Here:
https://maybury.ca/the-reformed-physicist/2022/02/03/a-night-with-the-untouchables/

View Quote

Excellent!
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:35:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

And if by some miracle they do ? That’ll be because the entire world went to shit , I mean everywhere is 1000% worse than Haiti or any of those other third world shitholes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course they will, they do, and they always have.

It's just that they don't realize the cost and where they do they don't care enough to change their behavior. They are content to live lives separated from everyone they think is below them, they are content to have to send others out to buy for them, and they are content to not be able to be in public themselves.

They are not as content with the fact that they have to struggle and fight so hard to get anything through that requires wide public support, but they probably just chalk that up to some idiotic thing or the other. They wouldn't dare think that if they were honest and stopped doing the wrongs they do, they wouldn't have to fight so hard.

As for the things they deserve justice for ... yes, appallingly too many avoid human justice. They will not avoid getting what they deserve from God; nobody will.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:39:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Thread needs more hope.

Here:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Thread needs more hope.

Here:

I live in downtown Ottawa, right in the middle of the trucker convoy protest. They are literally camped out below my bedroom window. My new neighbours moved in on Friday and they seem determined to stay. I have read a lot about what my new neighbours are supposedly like, mostly from reporters and columnists who write from distant vantage points somewhere in the media heartland of Canada. Apparently the people who inhabit the patch of asphalt next to my bedroom are white supremacists, racists, hatemongers, pseudo-Trumpian grifters, and even QAnon-style nutters. I have a perfect view down Kent Street – the absolute ground zero of the convoy. In the morning, I see some protesters emerge from their trucks to stretch their legs, but mostly throughout the day they remain in their cabs honking their horns. At night I see small groups huddled in quiet conversations in their new found companionship. There is no honking at night. What I haven’t noticed, not even once, are reporters from any of Canada’s news agencies walking among the trucks to find out who these people are. So last night, I decided to do just that – I introduced myself to my new neighbours.

At 10pm I started my walk along – and in – Kent Street. I felt nervous. Would these people shout at me? My clothes, my demeanour, even the way I walk screamed that I’m an outsider. All the trucks were aglow in the late evening mist, idling to maintain warmth, but all with ominously dark interiors. Standing in the middle of the convoy, I felt completely alone as though these giant monsters weren’t piloted by people but were instead autonomous transformer robots from some science fiction universe that had gone into recharging mode for the night. As I moved along I started to notice smatterings of people grouped together between the cabs sharing cigarettes or enjoying light laughs. I kept quiet and moved on. Nearby, I spotted a heavy duty pickup truck, and seeing the silhouette of a person in the driver’s seat, I waved. A young man, probably in his mid 20s, rolled down the window, said hello and I introduced myself. His girlfriend was reclined against the passenger side door with a pillow to proper her up as she watched a movie on her phone. I could easily tell it’s been an uncomfortable few nights. I asked how they felt and I told them I lived across the street. Immediate surprise washed over the young man’s face. He said, “You must hate us. But no one honks past 6pm!” That’s true. As someone who lives right on top of the convoy, there is no noise at night. I said, “No, I don’t hate anyone, but I wanted to find out about you.” The two were from Sudbury Ontario, having arrived on Friday with the bulk of the truckers. I ask what they hoped to achieve, and what they wanted. The young woman in the passenger seat moved forward, excited to share. They said that they didn’t want a country that forced people to get medical treatments such as vaccines. There was no hint of conspiracy theories in their conversation with me, not a hint of racist overtones or hateful demagoguery. I didn’t ask them if they had taken the vaccine, but they were adamant that they were not anti-vaxers.

The next man I ran into was standing in front of the big trucks at the head of the intersection. Past middle age and slightly rotund, he had a face that suggests a lifetime of working outdoors. I introduced myself and he told me we was from Cochrane, Ontario. He also proudly pointed out that he was the block captain who helped maintain order. I thought, oh no, he might be the one person keeping a lid on things; is it all that precarious? I delicately asked how hard his job was to keep the peace but I quickly learned that’s not really what he did. He organized the garbage collection among the cabs, put together snow removal crews to shovel the sidewalks and clear the snow that accumulates on the road. He even has a salting crew for the sidewalks. He proudly bellowed in an irrepressible laugh “We’re taking care of the roads and sidewalks better than the city.” I waved goodbye and continued to the next block.

My next encounter was with a man dressed in dark blue shop-floor coveralls. A wiry man of upper middle age, he seemed taciturn and stood a bit separated from the small crowd that formed behind his cab for a late night smoke. He hailed from the Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia. He owned his own rig, but he only drove truck occasionally, his main job being a self-employed heavy duty mechanic. He closed his shop to drive to Ottawa, because he said, “I don’t want my new granddaughter to live in a country that would strip the livelihood from someone for not getting vaccinated.” He introduced me to the group beside us. A younger crowd, I can remember their bearded faces, from Athabasca, Alberta, and Swift Current Saskatchewan. The weather had warmed, and it began to rain slightly, but they too were excited to tell me why they came to Ottawa. They felt that they needed to stand up to a government that doesn’t understand what their lives are like. To be honest, I don’t know what their lives are like either – a group of young men who work outside all day with tools that they don’t even own. Vaccine mandates are a bridge too far for them. But again, not a hint of anti-vax conspiracy theories or deranged ideology.

I made my way back through the trucks, my next stop leading me to a man of East Indian descent in conversation with a young man from Sylvan Lake, Alberta. They told me how they were following the news of O’Toole’s departure from the Conservative leadership and that they didn’t like how in government so much power has pooled into so few hands.

The rain began to get harder; I moved quickly through the intersection to the next block. This time I waved at a driver in one of the big rigs. Through the rain it was hard to see him, but he introduced himself, an older man, he had driven up from New Brunswick to lend his support. Just behind him some young men from Gaspésie, Quebec introduced themselves to me in their best English. At that time people started to notice me – this man from Ottawa who lives across the street – just having honest conversations with the convoy. Many felt a deep sense of abuse by a powerful government and that no one thinks they matter.

Behind the crowd from Gaspésie sat a stretch van, the kind you often see associated with industrial cleaners. I could see the shadow of a man leaning out from the back as he placed a small charcoal BBQ on the sidewalk next to his vehicle. He introduced himself and told me he was from one of the reservations on Manitoulin Island. Here I was in conversation with an Indigenous man who was fiercely proud to be part of the convoy. He showed me his medicine wheel and he pointed to its colours, red, black, white, and yellow. He said there is a message of healing in there for all the human races, that we can come together because we are all human. He said, “If you ever find yourself on Manitoulin Island, come to my reserve, I would love to show you my community.” I realized that I was witnessing something profound; I don’t know how to fully express it.

As the night wore on and the rain turned to snow, those conversations repeated themselves. The man from Newfoundland with his bullmastiff, a young couple from British Columbia, the group from Winnipeg that together form what they call “Manitoba Corner ” all of them with similar stories. At Manitoba Corner a boisterous heavily tattooed man spoke to me from the cab of his dually pickup truck – a man who had a look that would have fit right in on the set of some motorcycle movie – pointed out that there are no symbols of hate in the convoy. He said, “Yes there was some clown with a Nazi flag on the weekend, and we don’t know where he’s from, but I’ll tell you what, if we see anyone with a Nazi flag or a Confederate flag, we’ll kick his fucking teeth in. No one’s a Nazi here.” Manitoba Corner all gave a shout out to that.

As I finally made my way back home, after talking to dozens of truckers into the night, I realized I met someone from every province except PEI. They all have a deep love for this country. They believe in it. They believe in Canadians. These are the people that Canada relies on to build its infrastructure, deliver its goods, and fill the ranks of its military in times of war. The overwhelming concern they have is that the vaccine mandates are creating an untouchable class of Canadians. They didn’t make high-falutin arguments from Plato’s Republic, Locke’s treatises, or Bagehot’s interpretation of Westminster parliamentary systems. Instead, they see their government willing to push a class of people outside the boundaries of society, deny them a livelihood, and deny them full membership in the most welcoming country in the world; and they said enough. Last night I learned my new neighbours are not a monstrous faceless occupying mob. They are our moral conscience reminding us – with every blow of their horns – what we should have never forgotten: We are not a country that makes an untouchable class out of our citizens.

Good man.  Thanks for posting it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:40:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

The sauna beatings are even worse.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Thread needs more hope.

Here:

View Quote

Good stuff.  We need more people like that, willing to learn.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

They are talking about towing, arresting people for delivering fuel and disrupting the crowd funding.
View Quote
"Give them a dead line, have riot police present and who ever doesn't leave, we act. We do something..."
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Excellent read.  

I would love to see something like that in a mainstream newspaper  but am not naive enough to think I will.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thread needs more hope.

Here:

I live in downtown Ottawa, right in the middle of the trucker convoy protest. They are literally camped out below my bedroom window. My new neighbours moved in on Friday and they seem determined to stay. I have read a lot about what my new neighbours are supposedly like, mostly from reporters and columnists who write from distant vantage points somewhere in the media heartland of Canada. Apparently the people who inhabit the patch of asphalt next to my bedroom are white supremacists, racists, hatemongers, pseudo-Trumpian grifters, and even QAnon-style nutters. I have a perfect view down Kent Street  the absolute ground zero of the convoy. In the morning, I see some protesters emerge from their trucks to stretch their legs, but mostly throughout the day they remain in their cabs honking their horns. At night I see small groups huddled in quiet conversations in their new found companionship. There is no honking at night. What I haven't noticed, not even once, are reporters from any of Canada's news agencies walking among the trucks to find out who these people are. So last night, I decided to do just that  I introduced myself to my new neighbours.

At 10pm I started my walk along  and in  Kent Street. I felt nervous. Would these people shout at me? My clothes, my demeanour, even the way I walk screamed that I'm an outsider. All the trucks were aglow in the late evening mist, idling to maintain warmth, but all with ominously dark interiors. Standing in the middle of the convoy, I felt completely alone as though these giant monsters weren't piloted by people but were instead autonomous transformer robots from some science fiction universe that had gone into recharging mode for the night. As I moved along I started to notice smatterings of people grouped together between the cabs sharing cigarettes or enjoying light laughs. I kept quiet and moved on. Nearby, I spotted a heavy duty pickup truck, and seeing the silhouette of a person in the driver's seat, I waved. A young man, probably in his mid 20s, rolled down the window, said hello and I introduced myself. His girlfriend was reclined against the passenger side door with a pillow to proper her up as she watched a movie on her phone. I could easily tell it's been an uncomfortable few nights. I asked how they felt and I told them I lived across the street. Immediate surprise washed over the young man's face. He said, "You must hate us. But no one honks past 6pm!" That's true. As someone who lives right on top of the convoy, there is no noise at night. I said, "No, I don't hate anyone, but I wanted to find out about you." The two were from Sudbury Ontario, having arrived on Friday with the bulk of the truckers. I ask what they hoped to achieve, and what they wanted. The young woman in the passenger seat moved forward, excited to share. They said that they didn't want a country that forced people to get medical treatments such as vaccines. There was no hint of conspiracy theories in their conversation with me, not a hint of racist overtones or hateful demagoguery. I didn't ask them if they had taken the vaccine, but they were adamant that they were not anti-vaxers.

The next man I ran into was standing in front of the big trucks at the head of the intersection. Past middle age and slightly rotund, he had a face that suggests a lifetime of working outdoors. I introduced myself and he told me we was from Cochrane, Ontario. He also proudly pointed out that he was the block captain who helped maintain order. I thought, oh no, he might be the one person keeping a lid on things; is it all that precarious? I delicately asked how hard his job was to keep the peace but I quickly learned that's not really what he did. He organized the garbage collection among the cabs, put together snow removal crews to shovel the sidewalks and clear the snow that accumulates on the road. He even has a salting crew for the sidewalks. He proudly bellowed in an irrepressible laugh "We're taking care of the roads and sidewalks better than the city." I waved goodbye and continued to the next block.

My next encounter was with a man dressed in dark blue shop-floor coveralls. A wiry man of upper middle age, he seemed taciturn and stood a bit separated from the small crowd that formed behind his cab for a late night smoke. He hailed from the Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia. He owned his own rig, but he only drove truck occasionally, his main job being a self-employed heavy duty mechanic. He closed his shop to drive to Ottawa, because he said, "I don't want my new granddaughter to live in a country that would strip the livelihood from someone for not getting vaccinated." He introduced me to the group beside us. A younger crowd, I can remember their bearded faces, from Athabasca, Alberta, and Swift Current Saskatchewan. The weather had warmed, and it began to rain slightly, but they too were excited to tell me why they came to Ottawa. They felt that they needed to stand up to a government that doesn't understand what their lives are like. To be honest, I don't know what their lives are like either  a group of young men who work outside all day with tools that they don't even own. Vaccine mandates are a bridge too far for them. But again, not a hint of anti-vax conspiracy theories or deranged ideology.

I made my way back through the trucks, my next stop leading me to a man of East Indian descent in conversation with a young man from Sylvan Lake, Alberta. They told me how they were following the news of O'Toole's departure from the Conservative leadership and that they didn't like how in government so much power has pooled into so few hands.

The rain began to get harder; I moved quickly through the intersection to the next block. This time I waved at a driver in one of the big rigs. Through the rain it was hard to see him, but he introduced himself, an older man, he had driven up from New Brunswick to lend his support. Just behind him some young men from Gaspsie, Quebec introduced themselves to me in their best English. At that time people started to notice me  this man from Ottawa who lives across the street  just having honest conversations with the convoy. Many felt a deep sense of abuse by a powerful government and that no one thinks they matter.

Behind the crowd from Gaspsie sat a stretch van, the kind you often see associated with industrial cleaners. I could see the shadow of a man leaning out from the back as he placed a small charcoal BBQ on the sidewalk next to his vehicle. He introduced himself and told me he was from one of the reservations on Manitoulin Island. Here I was in conversation with an Indigenous man who was fiercely proud to be part of the convoy. He showed me his medicine wheel and he pointed to its colours, red, black, white, and yellow. He said there is a message of healing in there for all the human races, that we can come together because we are all human. He said, "If you ever find yourself on Manitoulin Island, come to my reserve, I would love to show you my community." I realized that I was witnessing something profound; I don't know how to fully express it.

As the night wore on and the rain turned to snow, those conversations repeated themselves. The man from Newfoundland with his bullmastiff, a young couple from British Columbia, the group from Winnipeg that together form what they call "Manitoba Corner " all of them with similar stories. At Manitoba Corner a boisterous heavily tattooed man spoke to me from the cab of his dually pickup truck  a man who had a look that would have fit right in on the set of some motorcycle movie  pointed out that there are no symbols of hate in the convoy. He said, "Yes there was some clown with a Nazi flag on the weekend, and we don't know where he's from, but I'll tell you what, if we see anyone with a Nazi flag or a Confederate flag, we'll kick his fucking teeth in. No one's a Nazi here." Manitoba Corner all gave a shout out to that.

As I finally made my way back home, after talking to dozens of truckers into the night, I realized I met someone from every province except PEI. They all have a deep love for this country. They believe in it. They believe in Canadians. These are the people that Canada relies on to build its infrastructure, deliver its goods, and fill the ranks of its military in times of war. The overwhelming concern they have is that the vaccine mandates are creating an untouchable class of Canadians. They didn't make high-falutin arguments from Plato's Republic, Locke's treatises, or Bagehot's interpretation of Westminster parliamentary systems. Instead, they see their government willing to push a class of people outside the boundaries of society, deny them a livelihood, and deny them full membership in the most welcoming country in the world; and they said enough. Last night I learned my new neighbours are not a monstrous faceless occupying mob. They are our moral conscience reminding us  with every blow of their horns  what we should have never forgotten: We are not a country that makes an untouchable class out of our citizens.

Excellent read.  

I would love to see something like that in a mainstream newspaper  but am not naive enough to think I will.
That was awesome, and kinda fit what I expected was going on.  

I bet if we looked we could find similar articles that WERE written about the occupy tards in mainstream newspapers.  I vaguely remember reading one in the economist.

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I don't care if it's North Korea.  What the Canadian gov is proposing to do is wrong.  It's wrong here.  It's wrong in Canada.  It's wrong in North Korea.  It's wrong on the moon.

What they are proposing to do is wrong.  They are the villains in this story regardless of what they say or think.
View Quote

For sure, you just look at it from a US Constitutional perspective.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#39]
So now city council is passing motions to request funding and personnel from other gov agencies, to fund businesses "shut down by the occupation as opposed to by government for the epidemic"  (haha, lies, the city council forced them to close rather than stay open and do business with protesters, sell burgers and beers and trinkets to out of town protesters), and to get funding from national resources to backfill city coffers, etc.

One guy was like, ok, but taxpayers shouldn't pay for the businesses it should be coming from the occupiers.  Omg!
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Now a bill to charge the occupying force organizers to pay the $800,000 per day police costs!

Unreal!  Let's get all their donations that they get, and more!  Make em pay!
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Thread needs more hope.

Here:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Thread needs more hope.

Here:

Excellent read!
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Now a bill to charge the occupying force organizers to pay the $800,000 per day police costs!

View Quote

The 5 Stages of the Kubler-Ross Grief Cycle: (adapted for Government)

Denial (nothing to see here)

Anger (how DARE you)

Bargaining (we're going to coerce the shit out of you)

Depression (look at what YOU'VE done to us!)

Acceptance (see..we were right all along. Silly peasants)

Signed - Your Government

I feel like we're at the Bargaining stage. It'll be interesting to see how the remaining 2 stages go
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 7:25:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Take the money, distribute to the truckers ASAP, get sued for 800k, declare bankruptcy.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Council meeting still going on.

Ottawa City Council - Special Meeting - 7 February 2022
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 7:27:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fucking hell. Despots, all.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 7:27:54 PM EDT
[#46]
The Ottawa Police, who became aware of the "attempted mass murder by arson attack" from Twitter, has released photos of the persons of interest. The alleged #FreedomConvoy truckers include a person with purple hair & another with a covid mask. Help ID them

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 7:35:42 PM EDT
[#47]

Did she really say Conservative and Redneck forces?
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The Ottawa Police, who became aware of the "attempted mass murder by arson attack" from Twitter, has released photos of the persons of interest. The alleged #FreedomConvoy truckers include a person with purple hair & another with a covid mask. Help ID them

View Quote

Pretty sure that the 2 things those truckers would not be sporting is purple hair or a mask
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 7:40:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Jeremiah Jost is with Christina Jost.
1hr ·

WOW!
Ottawa police tried to intimidate the people supporting the truckers but claiming they would arrest and fine anyone bringing gas to the convoy and the next day... Jerry Cans EVERYWHERE!! I love Canadian!????????????
Everyone was in high spirits today!??

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Thread needs more hope.

Here:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Thread needs more hope.

Here:

Yes it is.

Sadly, what the government is teaching the people is that peaceful protesting doesn't work. And that is a VERY bad thing to teach the public.
Page / 288
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top