Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/6/2020 7:50:28 PM EDT
Waiting for an email response from out vet. Maybe 2 days ago I noticed our kitty has had her eyes dialated most of the time and they are very reflective. Didnt really think anything of it as she has been acting and eating normally. Today she missed a few jumps to her cat tree and the sink.

Anyone seen this before?

[img]https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/371724/received_1095795247480485_jpeg-1404411.JPG[/
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:52:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Likely an exception error. Try turning the power off, waiting 30 seconds, then powering back on.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:55:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Shine a light into kitty's eyes and look for the pupils to constrict.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:56:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Zardoz:
Shine a light into kitty's eyes and look for the pupils to constrict.
View Quote

Tried that. They do.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Cataracts? No pun intended.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By burnka871:

Tried that. They do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Shine a light into kitty's eyes and look for the pupils to constrict.

Tried that. They do.

Then I'd guess that it's no big deal. As far as missing a few jumps goes, shit...my male cat's one of the clumsiest animals I've ever laid eyes on.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:59:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Tried that. They do.
View Quote

That's a good sign. Still, eye dialation is a pretty serious symptom for a lot of things, from high blood pressure to poisoning/envenomation.

Is the nictitating membrane (inner eyelid, corner of the eye nearest the nose) covering the eye more than usual? Dialation can be a sign of pain, as is the membrane coming over the eye.

This is definitely a vet-worthy symptom either way.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:01:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By seek2:

That's a good sign. Still, eye dialation is a pretty serious symptom for a lot of things, from high blood pressure to poisoning/envenomation.

Is the nictitating membrane (inner eyelid, corner of the eye nearest the nose) covering the eye more than usual? Dialation can be a sign of pain, as is the membrane coming over the eye.

This is definitely a vet-worthy symptom either way.
View Quote

Looks normal to me though I'm no expert.

Shes only about 6. Doubt its cataracts and doesnt look like them. It just seems weird. I've done a few test and she seems to see just fine albeit a bit distracted a bit.

Worried about my kitty
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:28:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Looks normal to me though I'm no expert. 

Shes only about 6. Doubt its cataracts and doesnt look like them. It just seems weird. I've done a few test and she seems to see just fine albeit a bit distracted a bit.

Worried about my kitty 
View Quote

Kitty might have gotten into something plant/bug/poison wise. It would be unusual for both eyes to go bad as far as retinal detatchment, etc. Have you done any pest control or used any bug spray/insect repellent recently? Kitty eaten any plants in the house?

Between being responsive to light and kitty eating normally, those are both good, but eyes shouldn't be dilated. Hopefully your vet gets back to you soon, not to alarm you but you're right to be worried.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:30:26 PM EDT
[#9]
You said kitty is eating and drinking and going to the bathroom normally?
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ak4784:
You said kitty is eating and drinking and going to the bathroom normally?
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Then I'd guess that it's no big deal. As far as missing a few jumps goes, shit...my male cat's one of the clumsiest animals I've ever laid eyes on.
View Quote

Never had a male cat till recently, and he is clumsy.  Hope OPs pussy is ok.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Kitty might have gotten into something plant/bug/poison wise. It would be unusual for both eyes to go bad as far as retinal detatchment, etc. Have you done any pest control or used any bug spray/insect repellent recently? Kitty eaten any plants in the house?

Between being responsive to light and kitty eating normally, those are both good, but eyes shouldn't be dilated. Hopefully your vet gets back to you soon, not to alarm you but you're right to be worried.
View Quote

I did some anti roach combat the other day but made sure to keep her out of it for an hour or 2. You think that may be it?
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#13]

I did some anti roach combat the other day but made sure to keep her out of it for an hour or 2. You think that may be it?
View Quote

That could definitely be a factor. Cats are pretty sensitive to insecticides, especially permethrin based ones.

ETA: I just looked up the combat roach stuff. Cypermethrin is a main ingredient.

I'd mention that to the vet first thing. Hopefully it's just a mild case of poisoning (fwiw, if it were bad, she wouldn't be functional 2 days in but I'd keep a very close eye on her and get vet opinion ASAP.)
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:46:35 PM EDT
[#14]
That does seem strange but sometimes cats are odd as fuck. I’d certainly have kitty checked out by the vet tho.

My female cat will sometimes get really excited and wide eyed and begin frantically looking around the room like she is watching things fly through walls and the ceiling. I was concerned that it was some kind of seizure behavior,  it happens randomly a few times a year that I’ve witnessed ...but the vets say she fine lol.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That could definitely be a factor. Cats are pretty sensitive to insecticides, especially permethrin based ones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did some anti roach combat the other day but made sure to keep her out of it for an hour or 2. You think that may be it?

My first thought was poisoning.  Any chance you used dog flea/tick stuff on the cat?
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:53:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Not a vet.. just volunteer at a local shelter/comm. clinic. The eyes thing doesn't really bother me but missing jumps kinda does. Especially at around 6 years old. I'd guess severe head or neurological trauma but maybe that is irrelevant if your cat isn't showing other related symptoms like titled head, vomiting, loss of appetite or changes to his or hers #1 and #2 patterns. Do you let it roam outside unsupervised, at all?

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:56:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Do the pupils constrict at the same speed when a light is shone on them? If not, sign of concussion/neuro issue.

Edit: to be clear, those eyes are not normal unless it’s a pitch black room. Something is wrong and this warrants a vet trip.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#18]
It looks to me like kitteh's right lateralis nasi (whiskers) is bigger than the left side.  If that's the case, it would suggest, as others have said, an envenomation. Which could definitely relate to the bug eyes.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:02:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm praying for your kitty since I can't offer any advice.  What's your beautiful kitty's name?
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Prayers for your kitty.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:09:58 PM EDT
[#21]
feline glaucoma. your kitty has it
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:10:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Our cat got like that. It was glaucoma.  We haven't removed his eye yet, but we will have to.  Get that little kitty to a vet to get checked out.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:10:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kitty might have gotten into something plant/bug/poison wise. It would be unusual for both eyes to go bad as far as retinal detatchment, etc. Have you done any pest control or used any bug spray/insect repellent recently? Kitty eaten any plants in the house?

Between being responsive to light and kitty eating normally, those are both good, but eyes shouldn't be dilated. Hopefully your vet gets back to you soon, not to alarm you but you're right to be worried.

Yes, it getting into something toxic will cause the eyes to do that.  Doesn't mean that is what is going on but if you introduced some new chemical in the house and then this happened, I would say the two are related.  I had a cat doing that, it would seem blind almost with huge eyes.  The change was I moved their food dish into a closet to limit how much they ate.  There must have been something on the floor that was toxic for the cat.  Since that was the only change I moved the food bowl back out and the problem went away.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, I'd notify the Vet and send them images of the eyes. Eating and drinking normal is good but kitty needs some medical attention. Best of luck and hopefully all goes well.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:28:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks like my cat after hes been put under, maybe ate some chemicals?
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:42:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Wife is a Vet. She says it is retinal detachment due to hypertension.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 2:59:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By MBanning:
My first thought was poisoning.  Any chance you used dog flea/tick stuff on the cat?
View Quote

No stuff was applied to her. Strict indoor kitty,
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 3:00:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By GreasyEasy:
I'm praying for your kitty since I can't offer any advice.  What's your beautiful kitty's name?
View Quote

Her name is Lauren
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 3:01:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By VitalSignsAbsent:
Not a vet.. just volunteer at a local shelter/comm. clinic. The eyes thing doesn't really bother me but missing jumps kinda does. Especially at around 6 years old. I'd guess severe head or neurological trauma but maybe that is irrelevant if your cat isn't showing other related symptoms like titled head, vomiting, loss of appetite or changes to his or hers #1 and #2 patterns. Do you let it roam outside unsupervised, at all?

View Quote

No. Strict indoor kitty.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 3:06:03 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm a vet.

And as a vet, I can say don't throw it off a cliff!
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 3:08:18 AM EDT
[#31]

That's a good sign. Still, eye dialation is a pretty serious symptom for a lot of things, from high blood pressure to poisoning/envenomation.

Is the nictitating membrane (inner eyelid, corner of the eye nearest the nose) covering the eye more than usual? Dialation can be a sign of pain, as is the membrane coming over the eye.

View All Quotes

Tried that. They do.

Will say though, agree with this, though wasn't sure what all it could be a symptom of. First thought was infection.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 3:26:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Waiting for an email response from out vet. Maybe 2 days ago I noticed our kitty has had her eyes dialated most of the time and they are very reflective. Didnt really think anything of it as she has been acting and eating normally. Today she missed a few jumps to her cat tree and the sink.

Anyone seen this before?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/371724/received_1095795247480485_jpeg-1404411.JPG
View Quote

How's her vision? Could be a hyperthyroid/hypertension problem. My childhood cat went completely dilated and temporarily blind until we got her on meds.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 3:30:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By revengeismine:

How's her vision? Could be a hyperthyroid problem. My childhood cat went completely dilated and temporarily blind until we got her on hyperthyroid meds.
View Quote

Hard to get a read. She will track a laser but doesnt seem particularly interested. Pretty sure she couldnt see shit in the dark bedroom though.

I think I'll take off work and take her in today.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 6:57:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Prayers for Lauren.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Please let us know how this turns out.

Hoping for a good outcome for Puddy-tat.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Detached retinas from high blood pressure. Shes fucking blind
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Detached retinas from high blood pressure. Shes fucking blind 
View Quote

So sorry brother, and more prayers for Lauren.

If they get the high BP under wraps, can she continue on living a relatively normal life?
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm really sorry man.  Maybe this can help a bit, it's only two minutes but has some good info.  
Helping Blind Cats : Cat Health
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 5:00:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Detached retinas from high blood pressure. Shes fucking blind 
View Quote

I'm sorry man. Can they get the BP under control? Did they talk about her being able to adapt?

More prayers for Lauren.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Prayers for Lauren.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 5:05:11 PM EDT
[#41]
They think since we were on top of this quickly they may be able to reverse it if they can get her BP down quickly.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#42]
They think since we were on top of this quickly they may be able to reverse it if they can get her BP down quickly.
View Quote

Great to hear!
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 5:07:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Such a shame. Hope it can be fixed.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 5:12:37 PM EDT
[#44]
They think since we were on top of this quickly they may be able to reverse it if they can get her BP down quickly.
View Quote

Hopefully this is the case! Cute kitty you have. Best wishes.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 5:17:37 PM EDT
[#46]
It will go away.

My kitten did the same thing
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 5:18:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Hoping for the best man.  And as someone who has adopted blind dogs before,  I'm surprised how well they adapt if that is the case.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 5:19:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Man, that's sad.

Here's hoping she is able to recover.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 5:52:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Shit.  I hope she recovers.

Link Posted: 5/7/2020 6:04:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Sorry to hear that. Bigger question, what's the reason for the high BP?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top