Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 9:30:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a few chains for each saw / bar combo that i have..     I swap them out as needed and sharpen them over the winter while tinkering in the garage.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 9:34:22 PM EDT
[#2]
stihl sharpener is what you seek, its pricey at $54 but pays for itself
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 9:42:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

These rock.  I have all three common sizes.  Use them all the time.  Most of the time I use it every tank of gas.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 9:48:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I drop my chains off at the dealer.  They sharpen for eight bucks a chain.  And they do a great job.  I’m usually getting 10-12 done at a time.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 1:26:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm able to get good results with just a round file of the correct size, a flat file, and a raker gage.  I'm slow, but I'm a perfectionist so it takes me 10 to 15 minutes to hand file an 18" .325 pitch or 20" 3/8" pitch chain.  (They have the same number of teeth.)  I also sharpen 3/8" LP chain.   It's so easy and the results are good enough that I couldn't see myself taking it in to have someone else sharpen them or buying a new chain before the old is worn out. (Not counting buying spares.)
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 1:41:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JND69lVVjUY

Pferd or Stihl sharpener takes most of the mystery out of sharpening as it handles tooth and raker at the same time.

Once a year use may be easier to just buy a chain but sharp chains cut way better so even touching up during light use is a good idea
View Quote

Just don't use it on a skip tooth chain
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Just sharpened 13 chains in ~2 hours from setup to breakdown.

Now I need to find wood to cut for fire wood for next year and the year after.

I am going to hit up some friends and neighbors to see if they need any chains sharpened.

Around here I believe the going price is 10, so 8 (off the saw) should be good.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top