Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Major Tag.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#2]
The pool at Bullis is now a catfish pond.  No kidding.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 6:00:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This is a picture of some of the holsters and armbands my late father used when he was in the USAF. For about the first 13-14 years out of 20 years in (1951-1971) he was in the Air Police.  The S&W M15 is mine.

http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr27/lakecity66/AP_1.jpg

My old man was an AP in the 60's, spent some time in Panama (1961-1964) and he worked with Armed Forces Police. Dad passed in 2001 but Mom's got a lot of photos of his time in Panama with these guys.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's a big damn pond!
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

When I went through tech school from January through March 1983, half the academy would go to Bullis for the last two weeks, we got to go. We lived in the hootches that had the plywood walls that hinged in the middle and you could swing the bottom up to get air. We were there during the El Nino year of 1982-83, so we froze our asses off and the walls stayed down.

One enterprising guy got sick of shitting in front of everyone else on those two rows of crappers in the middle of the shower building, so he found a Bekins moving box in a dumpster, cut off the top and bottom and one side. He'd fold it up and carry it to the shitter as a portable stall. Other guys saw this and started renting it out from him for fifty cents a pop.

The night before graduation the last hootch in our line, right next to the shitter, burned down because the clowns had turned their pot bellied oil heater all the way up (We were warned not to do this).
Those guys wanted to get out of Bullis and the Academy so bad, they were running out of that burning shack naked holding their blues on a hanger. They stood in graduation with bandages and second degree burns on their hands and faces.

The All Ranks Club when I was there still had strippers, nasty ones.

We used to run around in that big empty concrete pool built by the German POWs until we got caught.

I was at Bullis from Jan 83 to March 83, 1st 2 weeks of 60 school & then ABGD...We went to the Waterhole #3 strip joint when in tech school, right out the walking gate behind the chow hall on Lackland..Got married over Christmas brake in Chapel #7 & went to Corpus Cristy..

Had the X wife send me a couple pairs of long johns it was so cold..pulling security with a 4 man fire team...stuck in the little building..but we had live ammo for the 1st time

Army chow hall sucked....and C rats were good At least the all ranks club had beer...and lots of it...remember one night somebody's  girl got up and stripped...and she lost a necklace or something...but they had lots of beer....

The..old boarded up school & the cadre popped CS grenades in till you could not see & ya had to take off your gas mask & load a 20rd mag with blanks....

Don't remember the hooch burning down, must have happened after we left...
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 10:18:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Don't remember a pool at all......
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 6:02:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't remember a pool at all......

It is over near the hutments(hooches) and is actually a dammed and concrete lined portion of the creek.  It is a little east of the hutments and the PX.  You have to go looking for it.  It really doesn't look like a normal pool at all.  I saw it for the first time in 09.  I had no idea it was there when I was there in 03.  

OP, there are still a few AP/SP revolvers around that they use for K-9 training with blanks.  They usually are Smith & Wesson Model 15s and are beat to hell.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2011 10:16:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I went through tech school from January through March 1983, half the academy would go to Bullis for the last two weeks, we got to go. We lived in the hootches that had the plywood walls that hinged in the middle and you could swing the bottom up to get air. We were there during the El Nino year of 1982-83, so we froze our asses off and the walls stayed down.

One enterprising guy got sick of shitting in front of everyone else on those two rows of crappers in the middle of the shower building, so he found a Bekins moving box in a dumpster, cut off the top and bottom and one side. He'd fold it up and carry it to the shitter as a portable stall. Other guys saw this and started renting it out from him for fifty cents a pop.

The night before graduation the last hootch in our line, right next to the shitter, burned down because the clowns had turned their pot bellied oil heater all the way up (We were warned not to do this).
Those guys wanted to get out of Bullis and the Academy so bad, they were running out of that burning shack naked holding their blues on a hanger. They stood in graduation with bandages and second degree burns on their hands and faces.

The All Ranks Club when I was there still had strippers, nasty ones.

We used to run around in that big empty concrete pool built by the German POWs until we got caught.

I was at Bullis from Jan 83 to March 83, 1st 2 weeks of 60 school & then ABGD...We went to the Waterhole #3 strip joint when in tech school, right out the walking gate behind the chow hall on Lackland..Got married over Christmas brake in Chapel #7 & went to Corpus Cristy..

Had the X wife send me a couple pairs of long johns it was so cold..pulling security with a 4 man fire team...stuck in the little building..but we had live ammo for the 1st time

Army chow hall sucked....and C rats were good At least the all ranks club had beer...and lots of it...remember one night somebody's  girl got up and stripped...and she lost a necklace or something...but they had lots of beer....

The..old boarded up school & the cadre popped CS grenades in till you could not see & ya had to take off your gas mask & load a 20rd mag with blanks....

Don't remember the hooch burning down, must have happened after we left...

Hootch burned down the last week of March. I thought M60 school was at Medina Range? I loved the 60 range! Fun times.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 11:51:13 AM EDT
[#9]
ugh, I did 60 school, and now I can't remember where it was? I do remember putting my steel pot on when it was my turn to fire the M-203, and the fire ants that had decided to hang out there were rather pissed, and fucked me up. And to make matters worse, I'm allergic to fire ants.
I also remember the airplane guards while firing the M-60

And lets not forget the Duress Words for training:
Primary: Western
Alternate: Auto

I wonder if TSgt Roland is still pissed at me for dropping his coffee cup from the BISS Tower at the training area that had the planes and tower and other goodies (not the one with all the F-105's)  I think it was Training Area #8?
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
ugh, I did 60 school, and now I can't remember where it was? I do remember putting my steel pot on when it was my turn to fire the M-203, and the fire ants that had decided to hang out there were rather pissed, and fucked me up. And to make matters worse, I'm allergic to fire ants.
I also remember the airplane guards while firing the M-60

And lets not forget the Duress Words for training:
Primary: Western
Alternate: Auto

I wonder if TSgt Roland is still pissed at me for dropping his coffee cup from the BISS Tower at the training area that had the planes and tower and other goodies (not the one with all the F-105's)  I think it was Training Area #8?

Yeah, I guarded an F-101 Voodoo at the Lackland training area and a T-28 Trojan at the Bullis one. Gave up my rifle on a hostage scenario, learned the hard way NEVER to do that again.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#11]
We had an instructor at M60 school who had a crazy looking part in his hair that went all the way to the back of his head. He said when he was 12 he and two of his friends where out shooting at stuff with .22s.

They were walking home at the end of the day and one of his buddies was screwing around, turned, and quick drew on him. The kid pulled the trigger and the rifle went off. The round hit him in the head, just under the scalp and stopped at the back of his head, just under the skin, knocking him out.

Next thing he knows he's waking up covered in dirt, leaves, and grass. They freaked out and buried him, thinking he was dead. He gets up, brushes himself off, and goes running across the field. He catches up to the other two, who are hugging each other and sobbing as they walk. He can hear them trying to figure out what to do as he taps them on their shoulders. They turn around and look at him, he's got dirt, grass, and blood covering his face.

They scream like lost souls and run home without stopping.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 8:43:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 8:54:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
WTF are "Duress" words?

Kind of self explanatory. If you are under duress... you let one of the words slide. usually they are the dumbest words ever, that you would never use, so that casually sneaking them in is nearly impossible. lol.....

i.e. I'm in a truck, and there's a guy ducked down with a gun on me. When I hit the gate, I ask the gate guard if he's in to WESTERNS. or if he could direct me to the WESTERN side of the base. etc.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 9:03:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ok I see.  A way to alert security you're a hostage.

Thanks.

Pretty much. I found them to be pretty much useless. But it's the thought that counts.

Half the time no one knew them, or did not know the current ones, or would not recognize them in conversation. Now... I was not a cop, but did work in many secured areas.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 9:13:58 AM EDT
[#16]
This is the same pic I posted yesterday in the .mil forum.

Circa 1980, Taken at Eglin AFB at guardmount.  

It shows the .38 in a black border patrol holster, our subdued uniforms and the older USAF uniform on A1C Adams.   We carried dump pouches with Bianchi Speed strips and about half of us had pachmyer grips.  

The white strip in the shank of the holster is flex cuffs.  Back then, we all wore our Berets with the particular command pin we all belonged to.  

I was MAC, but there was also AFFTC(Edwards AFB), SAC, and TAC.    

Link Posted: 3/1/2011 11:46:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ok I see.  A way to alert security you're a hostage.

Thanks.

In the Air Force there are two kinds of duress

PASSIVE: Non-compliance with standard procedures. Which could be as inocuous as a new Lieutenant showing hid ID card upside down at the LCF gate.

ACTIVE: The actual passing and receiving of the current primary duress word.

I had a 2Lt come up to the ECP at Bldg 600 at RAF Chicksands (High Security) and just start saying, "Lawnmower, lawnmower, lawnmower!", the current word. We jacked him up and the three people standing next to him in line. We got him into the ECP and asked why he passed the duress and he said, "I just wanted to see if it worked. The word is supposed to be inserted into a normal conversation without alerting the bad guy. Then everyone gets challenged and jacked up, the passer is secured and separated, and the reason for the duress is determined.

In 1984 at Kunsan AB, South Korea, a legendary non-compliance with standard procedure occurred. A ROK gate guard was waving people in, a ROK Captian drove up and the ROK guard gave him a sharp salute. The Captain returned it and the ROK guard shot him dead. Turned out that the Captain was an NK infiltrator and had reverted to the NK style of salute in the reflex action.

You'd should've seen all the USAF pilots who saluted sharply for months after that event.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It shows the .38 in a black border patrol holster, our subdued uniforms and the older USAF uniform on A1C Adams.   We carried dump pouches with Bianchi Speed strips and about half of us had pachmyer grips.  

The white strip in the shank of the holster is flex cuffs.  Back then, we all wore our Berets with the particular command pin we all belonged to.  

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/7079/scan0001bo.jpg

You can tell who is wearing the polyester blend, and the all cotton OD's. I hated the Polyester one's.  Surprised there are no cut off sleeves though.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Used to pull guard duty at the bomb dump with a Model 15 in the late 70's.  Nice little shooter.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 2:03:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The guy second from left looks like my instructor at Camp Bullis in 1983.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 2:29:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Look at the cat standing to the right of A1C Adams..."I see what you did there, Sgt."

Link Posted: 3/2/2011 12:58:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at the cat standing to the right of A1C Adams..."I see what you did there, Sgt."

Yeah, and the guy thrid from left in the aviators looks like he's saying, "Fuck, I need a chew!". Or, "I gotta piss", or both!
Link Posted: 4/2/2011 11:41:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I did 6 years in the AP's. from 1974 through 1980.
Started out in SAC at Kincheloe AFB, in North Michigan, and worked both Security and LE. I was one of those that got the dual AFSC rating, 81130A and 81150A. I did work the Wing CP, and did have to wear the Blue uniform and the white damn ascot that rubbed my neck real bad, and the white laced boots. It was the base commanders idea at that base for the LE guys to do that.
We did carry the Model 15 S&W and the M-16. The only time we deployed the M60 was for drills and ORI's.
I worked the WSA as well as the EC. I caught some stupid 2nd LT with a monkey face on his entry card. He didn't get in, he got left in the snow until a QRT could get there. I also put a general face down in the snow one time. Turned out it was General Jones.
My flight supervisor, a 2nd LT started to chew my ass and that General jumped his spine, telling him to leave me alone, I was doing my job.
After that base, I went to Thailand in mid 75, through 76, then back to the states to Travis AFB. I stayed there until I ETS'd in 1980.
I really enjoyed my time in the AF.

Link Posted: 4/4/2011 8:57:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can tell who is wearing the polyester blend, and the all cotton OD's. I hated the Polyester one's.  Surprised there are no cut off sleeves though.

Third guy from the left, cutoff sleeves.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top