Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:33:07 AM EDT
[#1]
It's probably an ex post facto law & therefore illegal.  Talk to a lawyer.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:33:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I hear Montana is a nice state to register a vehicle in.
View Quote

South Dakota allows non resident registrations.   I did my green sticker ( offroad only ) Yamaha WR450f there and then transferred it back into California and ended up with a road legal plated dirtbike.  Suck it cali libtards.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:34:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Move to a free state……
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:36:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Coulda sworn there was a place in Colorado that sold the hell outta Unimogs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:37:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I hope a bunch of people sue the fuck out of the state and get this turned around. Doubtful, but this type of shit can't go unchecked. CO is really circling the drain.
View Quote

Wow. It's so weird that the freedom-loving patriots who legalized weed as a "step toward more personal liberty" would let this happen. So strange and totally unpredictable. No possible way anyone could have seen this coming.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:38:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Just wow.

Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:39:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There are a lot of vehicles about to be listed for sale.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:40:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Pretty sure this will get appealed, overturned/amended in regards to H1 owners, if not others as well.

https://gazette.com/news/local/colorado-legislators-question-dmvs-targeting-of-historic-military-vehicles/article_4c917e00-b834-11ec-ac54-6f7dee8d81b6.html

A few snips from the article.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Pretty sure this will get appealed, overturned/amended in regards to H1 owners, if not others as well.

https://gazette.com/news/local/colorado-legislators-question-dmvs-targeting-of-historic-military-vehicles/article_4c917e00-b834-11ec-ac54-6f7dee8d81b6.html

Rep. Donald Valdez, one of the sponsors of SB19-054, told The Denver Gazette he never intended for existing registered military vehicles to have their titles effectively revoked.

"I believe the intent was to register military vehicles, but in that aspect, I was talking with the Colorado Public Safety and Department of Revenue and at that time they wanted to allow only for historical (military vehicles) and also for use for certain events," he said.

Asked if the statute as the DMV is interpreting it should be reviewed, Valdez said, "Absolutely."

Rep. Patrick Neville, who signed on as a co-sponsor, said he cannot recall any discussion indicating an intent that the law be used to revoke titles and removed licensed vehicles from the roads.

"I mean if there was discussion about revoking titles, the bill was supposed to make it more permissive, not less permissive," Neville said.

Sen. Jerry Sonnenberg, who was also a co-sponsor of the 2019 law, told The Denver Gazette, "I don't support their interpretation."

So, not only do they not read and/or understand the bills they are simply voting for they go a step further and say, "This is a great bill and I will help bring it to the floor!".
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

An H1 built by AM General IS included.  Read the link.

Mine did have a 17 digit Vin, but I don't remember who was listed as the manufacturer on the title.  If it says GM, it is good to go like the H2s and 3s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How would a commercially manufactured Hummer H1 fall under military surplus vehicle?

Under that logic wouldn't every commercial  Jeep also be a mil vehicle?

What about Chevy Pick-ups and Blazers? CUCV anyone?

It doesn't,  the H1 isn't included, it has all federally required safety/emissions equipment for a normal passenger vehicle.,

Mine did have a 17 digit Vin, but I don't remember who was listed as the manufacturer on the title.  If it says GM, it is good to go like the H2s and 3s.

Your right, I'm wrong I was think the GM H2.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:41:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:44:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So Colorado cops just lost any surplus armored cars
View Quote
Depends on who they were made by and if a military uses a similar one.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:44:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:47:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I’m in the market for a slant back
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:50:29 AM EDT
[#14]
CO is so full of fuck it isn't funny.  That shithole state is lost.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:52:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Lol pass law to make it easier to register surplus trucks, dmv unregisters all surplus trucks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol pass law to make it easier to register surplus trucks, dmv unregisters all surplus trucks
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:53:03 AM EDT
[#16]
That's weird. What was their reasoning?
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I don’t have any military vehicles but what all states allow non resident registration?

OP I do have a 350amp welder if you are willing to pursue that last part.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#18]
So there will be a fire sale for penny's on the dollar.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:54:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Climate change cult probably.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What was the reasoning?

Climate change cult probably.

Because you don't neeeeeed one.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:56:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What was the reasoning?
View Quote

Liberals.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:57:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ummm, Shmaybe?     It really depends on the idiots interpreting it.  A lot of police vehicles are not military and are really no different than your average dump truck with added on armor.

I can see the milsurp stuff coming from the feds, , but going after the commercial vehicles could result in a city losing most of the road and bridge dept as well.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:02:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Rep. Donald Valdez, one of the sponsors of SB19-054, told The Denver Gazette he never intended for existing registered military vehicles to have their titles effectively revoked.

“I believe the intent was to register military vehicles, but in that aspect, I was talking with the Colorado Public Safety and Department of Revenue and at that time they wanted to allow only for historical (military vehicles) and also for use for certain events,” he said.

Asked if the statute as the DMV is interpreting it should be reviewed, Valdez said, “Absolutely."

Rep. Patrick Neville, who signed on as a co-sponsor, said he cannot recall any discussion indicating an intent that the law be used to revoke titles and removed licensed vehicles from the roads.

“I mean if there was discussion about revoking titles, the bill was supposed to make it more permissive, not less permissive,” Neville said.

Sen. Jerry Sonnenberg, who was also a co-sponsor of the 2019 law, told The Denver Gazette, “I don't support their interpretation."

That is SO 'government'.

Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:03:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:08:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Colorado is just striving to be the "retard state"
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:10:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Meh. Move to a free state.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:11:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:12:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#28]
There is a full on war against internal combustion engines, with ZERO viability for full transition to all electric.

But liberals love to liberal.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:13:52 AM EDT
[#29]
No one has said fuck you, I'm gonna be ungovernable and drive it when the reg expires.

Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:19:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:20:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Wow, that's some bullshit. Hope it gets fought. Dragon Man and our local VFW have their vehicles out all the time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:22:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like they may be getting a bunch more, possibly free since people won't be able to register theirs, especially with the "municipality" carve out.

Just the "state" doing state things for themselves.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:22:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:23:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
There are a lot of vehicles about to be listed for sale.
View Quote

OR more likely, a lot of vehicles getting registered in a neighboring state (with a PO Box or whatever that state requires)
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:23:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What was the reasoning?
View Quote

They hate you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:27:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Register out of state to get around bullshit.

Like Vermont
Ask me how I know
View Quote
Maine too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Guess they'd rather those people send their money to Montana then.

Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:28:04 AM EDT
[#38]
General common sense and  logic would indicate this silliness will not survive a legal challenge but who knows.

If it does somehow survive legal challenges expect a similar law outlawing military style firearms .
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:28:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Horrible.  I can't believe that it includes H1s.  They have full DOT approval like any other passenger vehicle.
View Quote

Yeah that makes NO sense at all...built on a GMC 1/2 truck frame?
What's next all Jeep vehicles?
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:29:34 AM EDT
[#40]
This is only the beginning.

A thousand cuts will kill fossil fuel powered vehicles in the next 10 years.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:30:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It'll be a lot easier for the DMV
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:34:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Funny enough something similar happened here in Wisconsin years ago.  We had the first law in the country to specifically have "street modified" vehicle (the term "hot rod" is in the actual statute) registrations in addition to collector registrations.  But what happened is the DOT/DMV started to require pictures of collector vehicles to prove that the car was perfectly bone stock.  Like, you couldn't even have a new radio in the dashboard or different wheels on it.  What was truly retarded about it is the registrations are the fucking same other than the color of the plate.  Cost, the fact that they are perpetual (no renewal needed), operation restrictions (there are none), etc.

But sure as shit, the legislature passed laws to make it easier to register hot rods, military vehicles, and collector vehicles, and the DOT/DMV fucked it all up in their interpretation.

I was getting everything in order for a lawsuit and it got fixed under Walker.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:37:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Guess they'd rather those people send their money to Montana then.

View Quote

if correct minded Coloradans where to register ALL of their vehicles out of state, in great enough numbers, that would likely send a message.  But correct minded people usually suck at organizing, so that idea is just fantasy
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#44]
I can store one or 2 here Central, TX for any CO owners
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:41:42 AM EDT
[#45]
It is highly unlikely this impacts the Hummer H1, but I haven't read the bill.  It wouldn't surprise me if they fucked up the wording that bad, to be honest.

It will impact the HMMWV.

If it was at all like it was in VA, which I had to go to our fucking senate over, it was NOT just Democrats that screwed us.  Plenty of Republicans did the same, including the transportation subcommittee chairman who was a Republican who stabbed us in the back after lying to our faces and JOKED ABOUT IT ON THE SENATE FLOOR when he did it.

Being intensely involved in this small issue was an absolute eye opener to how politics works in this country.  To summarize:

- Out of the 13 or so senators on the transportation subcommittee... IE, the people who SHOULD know what's going on... only 2 knew what the bill was about
- The summary to the bill said the bill did the exact opposite of what it actually did.  The summary is what most of the senators were reading for voting, **NOT THE ACTUAL TEXT OF THE BILL**
- 2 of the 13 senators only knew because they took the extra 5 minutes to learn about this from me on the house floor
- My legislator STRAIGHT UP told me that he would have to ask the State Police and DMV permission to write a bill protecting former military vehicles.  Seriously.  It was VERY evident to me that the legislators WANTED the executive branch to write the laws for them.  They considered them subject matter experts.

The genesis of the bill... was the DMV **WITHOUT LEGAL AUTHORITY** telling a HMMWV owner he could not use a road safe vehicle on the road.  The DMV and State Police claimed they had this authority to do this with 4 different reasons.  All of which did not survive even the smallest amount of scrutiny.  The DMV and State Police then tricked the legislature into thinking they HAD the authority to ban the vehicles from the road, and they suggested this bill to give the plebs limited use of the trucks on the road.  The legislators thought they were doing military vehicle owners a service.  

AM General, the manufacturer of the HMMWV, had sent letters to the state saying the HMMWV was not "designed for civilian road use".  This of course was AM General's way of protecting themselves from liability.  The state governments were EAGER to jump in and protect them.

Even when we got grandfathered in by one of the 2 of 13 senators who understood the bill, the state police came back 4 years later and directed all annual inspection locations to fail any vehicle that didn't have a 17 digit VIN.  Including imported antique vehicles like a '93 RX7 and such.

If you care to watch a boring 45 minute video about how fucked our system is, here is the whole thing:

Virginia HB 1323 - Congressional Discussions
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:41:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Coldifornia strikes again.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:44:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
CO trying to outdo CA?
View Quote

Probably due to all of the Californians who brought their “values” to the state when they relocated.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:45:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How would a commercially manufactured Hummer H1 fall under military surplus vehicle?

Under that logic wouldn't every commercial  Jeep also be a mil vehicle?

What about Chevy Pick-ups and Blazers? CUCV anyone?

It doesn't,  the H1 isn't included, it has all federally required safety/emissions equipment for a normal passenger vehicle.,

My 96 H1 had a 17 digit vin but the title said AM General.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Register it in the adjacent state and f*ck giving Coloradostan tax dollars.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:48:04 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm perplexed that this could include H1s.  They were street legal and sold by GM.  Since it's a lefty idea, I'm sure it won't matter, but this would seem right down the middle of the Commerce Clause.  :/
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top