BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless you want an Earl Scheib for $99.95, a good paint job is in the thousands.
View Quote

"I'll paint ANY car for just $19.95"

I remember those commercials ............
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 4:33:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Paint is insanely expensive...maybe 200 to 300 bucks per gallon depending on color, some may be higher ...materials alone will cost you 700 to 1000 bucks easy.

If you want it done right, you're gonna pay for it. Painting a car correctly is very labor intensive as previously mentioned.

Then you're paying a little for the warranty as well so keep that in mind.

Are you getting the door jambs done?

It's half a day just to tape the car, labor rates are not cheap.
View Quote

More like 3 to 4 times that for good quality materials.  I just bought two quarts of PPG epoxy primer and the associated activator, a gallon of 2K thinner, 6 rolls of 3/4" masking tape and five gallons of lacquer thinner for a car my son, my dad and myself are building and the total was just shy of $500 (like $496 IIRC).  The orange we bought to do the wheels was $200 per quart.  Yes, per quart, not gallon.

That's why you see so many people talking about buying their paint at Tractor Supply and doing the job themselves.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Paint is insanely expensive...maybe 200 to 300 bucks per gallon depending on color, some may be higher ...materials alone will cost you 700 to 1000 bucks easy.

If you want it done right, you're gonna pay for it. Painting a car correctly is very labor intensive as previously mentioned.

View Quote

I had a customer a couple of years ago that wanted a specific color of purple. The paint cost $1k per gallon. I had to buy 2 gallons. I still have some left. Anybody want some Lamborghini purple painted on any thing?
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 6:47:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
More like 3 to 4 times that for good quality materials.  I just bought two quarts of PPG epoxy primer and the associated activator, a gallon of 2K thinner, 6 rolls of 3/4" masking tape and five gallons of lacquer thinner for a car my son, my dad and myself are building and the total was just shy of $500 (like $496 IIRC).  The orange we bought to do the wheels was $200 per quart.  Yes, per quart, not gallon.

That's why you see so many people talking about buying their paint at Tractor Supply and doing the job themselves.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No - That is about right, unless Dupont is not considered quality materials anymore.

Link Posted: 2/27/2016 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Labor. And a decent paint job can at least cost $4k. Last paint job I had done I tore the entire Jeep apart, did all body repair and block sanding. Still cost me $1,500 to spray, bake, wet sand, and polish.

These are the results shown four years after it was painted, never garaged daily driver.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#6]
whats with the plastidip stuff? does it actually hold up to any real use? I might try it on a 4 wheeler.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Good paint jobs are frikkin expensive. But there are alternatives. I had this car wrapped in vinyl (in original color) about 5 years ago and it still looks great. It cost less than half what a paint job would have been and and will be easy to redo if no bodywork needs done (in this case none) and can be done in a day or so. Plus it still has its original paint if I ever go to sell it and somebody wants that.

Link Posted: 2/27/2016 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I spent $10K even to have my 69 Bronco sprayed in PPE Porsche silver.  Delivered it completely stripped of everything and no rust repair areas needed.  
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 9:16:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

How much is pinstriping?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I worked at a high quality body/custom shop for a while. "Regular" paint jobs started at about $4000. Custom/airbrush stuff went to $12,000 and up. And those prices were competitive within our market.

How much is pinstriping?

We had a couple of outside sources we used whenever someone wanted pinstriping, which wasn't very often. That's been a few years ago now, and to be honest I don't remember what the rates were.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 10:59:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Cerakote's as expensive as a lot of these auto paints.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Good paint jobs are frikkin expensive. But there are alternatives. I had this car wrapped in vinyl (in original color) about 5 years ago and it still looks great. It cost less than half what a paint job would have been and and will be easy to redo if no bodywork needs done (in this case none) and can be done in a day or so. Plus it still has its original paint if I ever go to sell it and somebody wants that.

http://imageshack.com/a/img153/4732/p1100007a.jpg

View Quote

thats a wrap?  
wow that looks great

can usually spot a wrap fairly easily
but that looks awesome
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Painted my Chevette back in the day with 5 cans of spray paint, so $20 or so.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top