User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What would 10mm do to that kitty kat?
View Quote

About the same as 9mm, just with longer splits.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
why was he backpeddling? Stand your ground and make noise, take a step forward and it'll run. Predators don't want to take the chance of being injured.
View Quote

Easy to say when you weren't there.

I would be scared shitless to have a big cat like that coming at me....
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
lol

Why don't you carry a gun?
View Quote

If you click his IG account he posts artsy pictures oh his EDC. He has a Sig Sauer and whats looks to be a CZ Scorpian
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 3:14:11 PM EDT
[#4]
TV show "I was Prey" could sure use some new material.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 3:16:15 PM EDT
[#5]
If he wasnt armed I have no fucks to give. If he was I tip my hat for not having to use it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 3:16:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm only halfway through the video, but I have had an encounter with a mountain lion at Colorado Bend State Park in TX. It tracked us and once we finally saw it and I pulled my gun...it was gone. I did have my dog with me too. The park rangers that evening said they had multiple people spot it and they were going after it to relocate.  

My question is....why in the fuck would you put yourself in that situation WITHOUT a gun or at least a fixed blade knife? And WHY isnt he throwing rocks at it?
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 3:16:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Related...

Dis be a big ass cat yo!

Large Cougar Released From Trap in Pine Valley Mountains
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
why was he backpeddling? Stand your ground and make noise, take a step forward and it'll run. Predators don't want to take the chance of being injured.

I had a feral house cat one time rip my arm open and severe an artery like it did it every day. I bled like a stuck hog and the ER bill was epic. That little bitch on the vid could easily be lethal to a human. They instinctually know stuff that makes them even more dangerous i guarantee it. The guys life was potentially in peril and everyone should know this. He had good reason to give ground. His instincts were hard at work too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#9]

2, 1 ,3

Link Posted: 10/12/2020 3:45:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Related...

Dis be a big ass cat yo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYP_8S9qPzs
View Quote

Dangerous attempt to free an angry trapped mountain lion | Mountain Lion Encounter
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#11]
You know, if you are in a place where you can't carry a gun when you hike, this would at least be a good place to have one of those walking sticks that you can quickly screw a knife onto the end of if you needed to.

Hey, plenty of cavemen and Indians won their battle with a lion that way, I bet.

Link Posted: 10/12/2020 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Man I woulda been chucking rocks way quicker
View Quote

One of the first things I would have done. That's crazy..  That cat wanted to play a bit first..  
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What would 10mm do to that kitty kat?
View Quote

I lost all my 10mm's
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The fact that the cat ran away only after the stupid soy boy threw rocks at it should tell you much.  Predators dont want to get hurt if they dont have too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious question:

I've encountered a lot of Black Bear out in the woods.  If you stand your ground, they usually stop what they're doing too and watch you back.  If you throw your arms up and yell, or run a few steps towards them, they run away.  

Does it work on wild cats like the mountain lion?  Can you just scare it away by "getting big" and running at it?

The fact that the cat ran away only after the stupid soy boy threw rocks at it should tell you much.  Predators dont want to get hurt if they dont have too.

The cat ran away only after he was well away from her cubs. The rock probably didn't have a whole lot to do with it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Was the cat’s name Lisa Ann?
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 4:22:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The cat ran away only after he was well away from her cubs. The rock probably didn't have a whole lot to do with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious question:

I've encountered a lot of Black Bear out in the woods.  If you stand your ground, they usually stop what they're doing too and watch you back.  If you throw your arms up and yell, or run a few steps towards them, they run away.  

Does it work on wild cats like the mountain lion?  Can you just scare it away by "getting big" and running at it?

That's my thinking as well. Everyone loves to regurgitate rules about animals and forgets the golden rule. When Momma and babies are involved there are no rules.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Coolest thing I'll see all day!  Thanks OP.

Humans ain't got jack shit on Lions, we are the beta animal in that scenario.

@CountyWorker   applies to you big time
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I just keep thinking, if I'm fearing for my life, I'm probably not holding my phone to film the experience, I've got better things to do with my hands...

Like throwing rocks, pulling out my knife, etc.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 4:53:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks like the guy did an "OK" job according to this:

If you see a mountain lion:

Stay calm. Hold your ground or back away slowly. Face the lion and stand upright.

Do not approach a lion. Never approach a mountain lion, especially one that is feeding or with kittens. Most mountain lions will try to avoid a confrontation. Give them a way to escape.

Do not run from a lion. Running may stimulate a mountain lion's instinct to chase. Instead, stand and face the animal. Make eye contact. If you have small children with you, pick them up, if possible, so they don't panic and run. Although it may be awkward, pick them up without bending over or turning away from the mountain lion.

Do not crouch down or bend over. Biologists surmise mountain lions don't recognize standing humans as prey. On the other hand, a person squatting or bending over looks a lot like a four-legged prey animal. If you're in mountain lion habitat, avoid squatting, crouching, or bending over, even when picking up children.

If the mountain lion moves in your direction or acts aggressively:

Do all you can to appear intimidating.

Attempt to appear larger by raising your arms and opening your jacket if you are wearing one. Wave your arms slowly and speak firmly in a loud voice.

If looking bigger doesn't scare the mountain lion off, without crouching or turning your back, start throwing stones, branches, or whatever you can reach in its direction (e.g., toward it, but not directly at it). Aim for the ground in front of it; don't throw things directly at it just yet. Think of these as warning shots. You aren't wanting to hit and unnecessarily injure the mountain lion, but you do want to show it that you can defend yourself and potentially injure it. And that will hopefully deter it from approaching any closer.

With that said, your safety is of the utmost importance and the National Park Service won't necessarily prosecute you for harassment of wildlife if something you throw at an aggressive mountain lion does make contact. Again, during the initial stages of a mountain lion encounter, the idea is to convince the mountain lion that you are not prey and that you may be a danger to it.

One might ask: "How do I reach stones or branches without bending down?" If you are in a trailcut, you could get rocks to throw from the side of the trailcut. If you are in a wooded area, you might be able to find a loose branch within reach, or feel free to break branches off of trees or shrubs, if necessary. If you are with others, the shorter/smaller individuals could bend down close behind taller/bigger individuals (make it look as much as possible like you are all one big animal) and provide the taller/bigger individuals with rocks or sticks to throw. However, stones and branches may not always be readily within reach. But you will probably be carrying a backpack or fanny pack containing hard items that can be thrown, like water bottles, and you could retrieve those while remaining upright to use as projectiles. But don't throw everything you have, though. You might want to hold on to one metallic or hard plastic water bottle in reserve to use as a club or as weight in your backpack or fanny pack, which can be swung at the cat if it gets close enough. So, most hikers will have some options, even if they can't bend down to pick up rocks or sticks.
View Quote

SOURCE
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I've come across 5 cougars.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Kitty was mad.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Coolest thing I'll see all day!  Thanks OP.

Humans ain't got jack shit on Lions, we are the beta animal in that scenario.

@CountyWorker   applies to you big time
View Quote

This is my territory.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/12/2020 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You think an aggravated mountain lion is gonna stop and help dude look for his lost socket?
View Quote

I understood that reference
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You think an aggravated mountain lion is gonna stop and help dude look for his lost socket?
View Quote

Mountain lions are American. They use SAE tools and they eat SAE tools like the one with the devilish grin. They will not help you find a metric socket.

Juvenile cat, unsure of itself, unsure of what to do.

There is a reason why the incidence rate for people getting toe up by juvenile cats is essentially zero.  

A little scary, a little fun, shoulda frowed rock sooner.

Experience is rare, but people who have it benefit from the ability to recognize when a momma or sibling cat weighs 55 lbs instead of 135. Big diff.

If it was a big tom, dude never would have seen it at all.

Fun video though. Showed my daughter. Very educational.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I love all of the “would have been chucking rocks sooner” posters.

It seems to me the guy did exactly what he needed to.  He continued to back away, keeping in mind that if he fell or tripped he would have been fucked.  Seems to me he waited for the perfect moment to bend down and grab some rocks (keeping in mind that bending down to grab rocks while retreating backwards, uphill, on loose gravel is a great way to wind up on your ass with 90# of pissed off cat sporting a bunch of razor blades in her paws.  See previous sentence)

I’ll give the ole boy high marks for this one.  (Except the part where he started the whole fucking thing by creeping up on baby high country kittehs to get some good gram footage)

Having said all that, cat experts:  what is the story with that posturing where she is forcing the tip of her tail into the ground, dragging it?
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#27]
We have panthers at my house...
They wiped out all the hogs and now go after the livestock and pets.
When we see one, we alert others on Facebook community page..
I was going to work a few weeks ago and one hopped out on the road in front of me and went about a 1/4 mile running in front the truck.

Pics suck, they are screen shots from video

iPhone

Car cam

Fb
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 6:21:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
We have panthers at my house...
They wiped out all the hogs
View Quote

This seems like something Texas DNR should look into.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

About the same as 9mm, just with longer splits.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone who thinks they're going hand to paw with that thing has never owned a cat.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:14:48 PM EDT
[#31]
A lion tag here is $29 bucks and it's good year round, I try to never be without one in my pocket and a pistol on my belt. If that guy had been carrying even a 22lr revolver he could have ended that fast.

Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:19:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Do they make Temptations Treats for Cougars?  That puss would be purring.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:26:29 PM EDT
[#33]

My kids already know the first thing you do is pick stuff up and throw it at dangerous animal.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That's my thinking as well. Everyone loves to regurgitate rules about animals and forgets the golden rule. When Momma and babies are involved there are no rules.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious question:

Yup I think dude handled it fairly well.

The whole stand your ground thing may change when baby cats are involved.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:27:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

A lion tag here is $29 bucks and it's good year round, I try to never be without one in my pocket and a pistol on my belt. If that guy had been carrying even a 22lr revolver he could have ended that fast.

View Quote

A tag makes no difference in a self defense shooting.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Do they make Temptations Treats for Cougars?  That puss would be purring.
View Quote

I never hike in the mountain west without a refrigerator box.

Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Glock 19 to the rescue.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#38]
So the cat's name is "shit face"?
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:32:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yeah, grow some balls and grab whatever is available and go caveman on that little cat. What a fucking pussy that guys is. Not saying I wouldn't get away unscathed but, can promise that cat would be dead and I might need some stitches but, it's not like that was damn full-grown tiger or lion.
View Quote

I'm a bit over 6' and about 185. I carried a dead lion across my shoulders down out of the mountains, biologist weighed it at 80 pounds. If that thing had been alive and fighting I wouldn't be here today to tell about it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:34:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

A tag makes no difference in a self defense shooting.
View Quote

I agree but I won't have to try to explain the situation in court.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:37:28 PM EDT
[#41]
I think he's married to the gal who has the kayak in the PNW.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:38:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Goddamn. Guys profanity was on point
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:43:40 PM EDT
[#43]
I do t ever go on hikes with out a side arm at minimum and in MT I always have my G20. Seen to much shit on the trail to even consider otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#44]
better to have and not need
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yeah, grow some balls and grab whatever is available and go caveman on that little cat. What a fucking pussy that guys is. Not saying I wouldn't get away unscathed but, can promise that cat would be dead and I might need some stitches but, it's not like that was damn full-grown tiger or lion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I was wondering. I saw a couple of tree limbs also.

Yeah good fucking luck with that strategy. You’d most likely end up as human confetti.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

A couple of you are delusional as fuck.  The guy in Colorado managed to get away with only 2 dozen stitches, plus other minor injuries after being attacked by a weak, malnourished 35lb cat.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I never hike in the mountain west without a refrigerator box.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c4/d3/33/c4d333d7b361233b06708380dc648f0f.gif
View Quote

Pretty  funny
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 10:27:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yeah good fucking luck with that strategy. You’d most likely end up as human confetti.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I was wondering. I saw a couple of tree limbs also.

There are few things that worry me wore than big wild cats. Just watching the shit a house cat can do is pretty impressive
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 10:45:39 PM EDT
[#49]
And People wonder why I tell them to carry when Hiking!!!  

OLOLOLOLOL
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 11:17:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
There are few things that worry me wore than big wild cats. Just watching the shit a house cat can do is pretty impressive
View Quote

I’ve only seen what I think were Lynx and Bobcat at a distance never a Lion yet. Seen 100+ bears but never been bluff charged or challenged. I think a Lion would scare me more.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top