Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:55:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Famous last words...."Hold my wrenches and watch this".
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:01:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw a family of five burn up in a van on the freeway. What's the point of this thread?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't look over your shoulder while backing it up. Look back to see if it is clear BEFORE you begin moving the bike. Once you start moving backwards, use your mirrors to monitor progress.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got my license last summer.  Took the MSF course, which for an experienced dirtbiker was a very humbling experience. My dad let me hold onto his Harley roadking as he doesn't ride anymore. I've had to set it down twice now backing out of the garage .

I'm not afraid of riding but experience very little enjoyment being out on the road.  Too many idiots
Don't look over your shoulder while backing it up. Look back to see if it is clear BEFORE you begin moving the bike. Once you start moving backwards, use your mirrors to monitor progress.
Meh.  Just grab the bars and walk it out.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What is that from?
View Quote
http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/premiumrush/
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#5]
A lot of wrecks happen because a less experienced person is riding behind a more experienced person. The more experienced rider inevitably gets out way ahead and the inexperienced rider has to haul ass to catch up and usually bites it in a turn that took too fast. Always put the least experienced rider in the front.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Counter steering has to be subconscious, muscle memory. If not, your going to have a bad day. 

For those of you that don't ride street bikes but have a bicycle, when you're riding very slow you start to fall over to one side which way do you turn the handlebars? That's right, into the turn to lean make the bike stand back up the other way. 

Most of us can ride a bike at slow speed but when your going 65 down a winding road, and something makes you panic. Less experienced Riders default back to driving a car rather than riding a bicycle and try turn the handlebars like a steering wheel in the direction they want to go. All that does is make the bike stand up and lean right into what it is they're trying to avoid, like the front of another car.

At speed, you do NOT turn the bars, you push the inside grip. 
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:29:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I saw a family of five burn up in a van on the freeway. What's the point of this thread?
View Quote
Free candy?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:32:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Squids
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A lot of wrecks happen because a less experienced person is riding behind a more experienced person. The more experienced rider inevitably gets out way ahead and the inexperienced rider has to haul ass to catch up and usually bites it in a turn that took too fast. Always put the least experienced rider in the front.
View Quote
They say when riding in a group, least experienced should lead so that doesn't happen.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:23:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

18 months commuting in rush hour multi lane highway traffic isn't very long.

I've been doing it 11 years now.  This morning I got caught in bumper to bumper back up for 30 minutes because of a multi-vehicle.  Last Monday morning was nearly the identical thing in the same place, except that was a 40 minute delay.  

I'm still learning everday.
View Quote
I found a job closer to home.  18 months is long enough at that many miles per year in south Florida traffic.

I see you're from Virginia, so if you're commuting into D.C. then you get the idea.  If your'e commuting out to the country, that explains why you keep doing it.  Tropical storms with wind gusts to 60 MPH, blinding rains and flooding across major highways - I did it through everything that was thrown at me.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:36:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is a good point for riders who care.

Also, put the slowest bikes up front in two-lane touring.  The slowest bikes will need every good opportunity to pass slow traffic, where-as the more powerful bikes (again, with skilled riders) should be at the very back as they can pass within safety margins that the slower bikes cannot (or at least should not).
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File

This guy bought a brand new Harley and made it about two blocks before jumping a curb and running it into a car dealership lot causing the bike to burst into flames. He lived but bet that was an expensive mistake.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:29:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Squids
View Quote
Harley fags.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/294419/19249138_BG1-280898.JPG

This guy bought a brand new Harley and made it about two blocks before jumping a curb and running it into a car dealership lot causing the bike to burst into flames. He lived but bet that was an expensive mistake.
View Quote
Wow that's alot of money in damage!
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Damn I've heard that before people buy brand new Harleys and crash them on the way home.
View Quote
Happens all the time and if they don't do it on the way home they do it in the first month.

Some people lack the self defense radar needed to not get creamed and some lack the feel for a single track vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:44:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Not too long ago someone picked up a brand new Road King and crashed it and died in the dealership parking lot.  Look up Maroney's Harley Davidson in New Windsor, NY.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:49:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My buddy is a tough a guy. I'm sure he will heal up fine. We all had a bad feeling when he came in on Friday and was like "I bought a bike online last night and I'm flying to Colorado to pick it up and go to Sturgis then riding back home."

He nearly shit when I told him that first oil change would cost $600 because they send it away to get tested on. He said "shit I will do it myself"....I let him know he would violate the warranty that way.
View Quote
you were joking with him right?

an oil analysis from blackstone is only like $35
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#18]
I remember when I bought my bike back in 2003.

It was a 1997 CBR 600 F3.

Really docile bike, well balance and nice seating position for a sport bike. The torque curve was very forgiving as the engine didn't come alive until 8-9k rpm or so and even at that point it wasn't like an on/off switch.

What I did to practice getting used to the bike is I rode it around the neighbor hood for a few days. Then I rode it around some roads that had little traffic but some turns and such and went slow and then I would practice turns in old parking lots around the light poles etc.

It didn't take me long to start to figure out balance, counter steering, what the throttle does in a turn, how the brakes affect a turn, etc.

I had that bike for about 4 years and put on about 15,000 miles in those 10 years. I rode with my dad alot, he had a Ultra Classic.

I had a few incidents.

1. I forgot to put the kick stand down once and the bike fell on me...lol. Not even a big deal. I just lifted it up, nothing scratched.
2. I ran off the road once going slow in a turn because muscle memory and experience didn't kick in yet...did I mention how going slow away from other cars is a good idea at first.
3. I was in right hand turn, and had the bike leaned over and the muffler caught the road and I low sided. I was maybe doing 30mph...my gear did it's job and I was a little sore and my pride was hurt the most.
4. I was coming to a stop and was on the brakes very hard and the tire locked up and before I could let go the brake lever, the bike threw me off and it skidded 30 feet or so. (That was very weird as I have had that happen before in the rain and The bike was always stable.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What happened with the dirt bike that scared you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I took the MSF course in 2013 and got my first motorcycle (2001 Ducati 748) actually before the class.  I rode it for awhile always respecting it and never had an issue.  I then bought a Ducati 749 Dark and finally a Triumph Daytona 675.  By 2008 I had gotten rid of them all and bought a house.

Fast forward to late 2016 and my BIL gets a little 250 dirt bike which I decide to ride a bit at his farm.  I had no idea he got it so I had no gear or helmet.

FUCK THAT!!  I had been considering another bike but no more.  I am over it completely as I had forgotten just how dangerous it can be until I was zipping along.  I still have my MC endorsement and will keep it but I really have no interest in buying another.

The $7K that I have in my Accuracy International AT is a better investment and I enjoy it more.  Chances are I won't ever die shooting it either.
What happened with the dirt bike that scared you?
It didn't really scare me I just realized that the juice isn't worth the squeeze when it comes to motorcycles.  Too much can go wrong that I have no control over and it is just way to easy to get deaded.

I get enough danger riding my bicycle to work every day as it is
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#20]
4 wheels please. No bikes for me.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:05:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Edit, self dupe.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:07:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A guy died a few years back here within a mile of the dealership.  Had never ridden before.
View Quote
When I started selling bikes one of the older salesmen told me make sure you point the thing towards the driveway so they get off the property before they crash.

Never had one crash but a few were close , a couple didn't make it all the way home , and tons came back on a trailer/truck to get repaired within a week 
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
There's only two kinds of motorcyclists. Those that have been in a wreck and those that will be in a wreck. I've been in two wrecks so far by fucking cagers making left hand turns into me. I still ride. When your number is up, your number is up.
View Quote
From observing other drivers, the average driver has the spatial awareness of a one-eyed person and the concentration of a 5 year old.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
The one rule to always live by is ride your own ride.

If someone wants to run off and leave me I'll catch up to them at the next stop.  Too many newbies, and veteran riders alike, ignore this rule and pay for it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Had a friend who took the MSF class to get his motorcycle license.

One of the other students in the class was an older guy who'd just retired - said he wanted to get a big ol' Harley, and ride all over the country.

He got booted from the class after he dropped the little 250 they had him riding for the third time.

Guess it was fortunate that he hadn't purchased his Harley yet, 'cause motorcycle riding just wasn't his thing.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#26]
I worked at a dealership for a while and saw plenty of brand new bikes wrecked within the first 48 hours, some still in parking lot.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Damn I've heard that before people buy brand new Harleys and crash them on the way home.
View Quote
Coworker of mine got offered a V-Rod with missing front suspension and wheel for a couple thousand dollars. A couple took it for a test ride and hit a semi.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#28]
When I bought my first bike (having finished the MSF course) I had it delivered to my house so I could practice in my quiet neighborhood before bringing it onto busier roads.

I felt like a pussy, but after reading some of these stories, maybe I was smart.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
When I bought my first bike (having finished the MSF course) I had it delivered to my house so I could practice in my quiet neighborhood before bringing it onto busier roads.

I felt like a pussy, but after reading some of these stories, maybe I was smart.
View Quote
This is exactly what i'm doing.  First few rides will be neighborhood only.  I've got a nice church within 2 minutes of the house.  I plan on spending a lot of time there learning clutch control, friction zone, etc.

Just passed the MSF 3 weeks ago.  My only poor choice (according to advice from some, not others) was getting a Tiger 800 for my first bike.  That's probably a bit more power then a noob like me should have, though owners have told me it has a very smooth, linear throttle and power output, so it's not nearly as bad as the HP numbers lead you to believe.  The saving grace is it does have rain mode, which i will keep it in religiously for the first 6 months.  My biggest concern is less the power and more it being top heavy.  That will make slow speed maneuvering more tricky, so i'll have to be careful.  Plus side is i've got a full complement of bars, so nothing should get damaged to badly if i drop it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:10:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This reminds me of a question I have-

If you show up at Sturgis with one of those tricycle motorcycle things with two wheels in the front, do all the guys make fun of you?
View Quote
Yes..they also make fun of people who put those training wheel kits on their motorcycles and still have the single rear driving wheel.

Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Apparently stuck steering too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It almost looks like it had a stuck throttle.
Apparently stuck steering too.
And a stuck clutch.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:18:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Forgot to mention, my dipshit brother wanted a bike(Honda CBR1000) at a local dealership. He didn't have the credit to get a loan but worked a deal with the place to let him buy it layaway style, and ride it while doing this if he brought it back by close of business. After a month or two of this, he dumped it and fucked up the plastic on one side, rode it back to the dealer, apologized and said the bike wasn't for him. THAT'S when the dealer found out they were letting him ride their bike with no license or insurance.

He lost the money he'd put into it up to there, but never had to pay for the damage. Never understood that one, unless the dealer decided it was cheaper to write it off than face fines for letting an unlicensed, inexperienced rider take the bike out repeatedly on city streets alone.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Lol oh bullshit.  

There is no reason why a middle aged man can't learn to ride a fucking motorcycle safely.

You guys act like it's fucking rocket science or takes some great talent that must be learned when you are young.

You guys think way too highly of yourselves and the "talent" you think it takes to ride a motorcycle, just because some noobie fuck tard with an IQ close to 50 does something stupid on one every once in a while.
View Quote
No it isn't rocket science..is is though loaded with people much as yourself who think it is as easy as riding their tricycle on the sidewalk. They usually eventually learn or get hurt bad, die or quit.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was riding 70ish and watching a guy on an M109 Suzuki catching me really, really fast.  He was maybe 50 yards behind me when I took a posted 45 kink without slowing down.  That kink could have been taken a fair bit faster easily.  I got to watch that guy on the M109 cock up his entry and he was all over both lanes getting the bike back under control.  I felt kind of bad like I suckered him into that.  But not too bad.  About a mile down the road there was a woods right up to the side ditch.  Tons of deer there.  I slowed down and he caught me, blew by and I was very impressed at how much a bad ass he was.

On the other side of this I've been on mountain very twisty roads going briskly and had youngsters on sport bikes blow by and pull away pretty quickly.  I don't try to keep up or try to stay ahead.   Move right, slow and wave them around.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:35:44 PM EDT
[#35]
yeh...seen too many cases in the hospital... or the cemetery. all you guys on big ass road hogs & crotch rockets have my best wishes, as for me I won't ride aa bike that I can't pick up...
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I found a job closer to home.  18 months is long enough at that many miles per year in south Florida traffic.

I see you're from Virginia, so if you're commuting into D.C. then you get the idea.  If your'e commuting out to the country, that explains why you keep doing it.  Tropical storms with wind gusts to 60 MPH, blinding rains and flooding across major highways - I did it through everything that was thrown at me.
View Quote
There are other metropolis areas in VA than NoVA.  I wouldn't ride through a hurricane but I avg about 2 to 3 days per week on the bike in bumper to bumper 70 mph multi lane interstate traffic for about 20 miles.  I've had my share of holy shits for sure.  But I still do it because it's thrilling.  

My F4i is my main ride and I've put well over 50k on it and counting.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Harley Davidson made Gary Busey the man he is today.

Rumba Rumba Potato Potato Potato Coloring Books

"I had arrived home in Malibu just the day before, after wrapping a movie. My Harley-Davidson, my beautiful motorcycle, had been in Bartels’ cycle shop in Culver City for repairs. I took it out Sunday morning, rode it down the street, made a U-turn, headed back, accelerating to about 50 mph. I was so excited to be in the wind again, to be back in town, to have a movie in the can.
Passing Bartels’, I approached a corner where a bus was letting off passengers. I swung to the left of the bus, then turned right in front of it to turn onto the cross street, which leads to the freeway. But the cross street had an island, and I had to turn more sharply than I had anticipated. There were gravel and rocks and a little bit of slickness on the street, too, and I went into a skid. I hit my rear brake, which is what you’re not supposed to do with a big bike—and it whipped around like a fish.
The bike slammed into the curb and threw me over the windshield. I came down on the curb headfirst, hitting the back of my head, then the right side of my head and then my back. Wop-wop-wop! Then I was out. Gone."
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:46:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Great thread, I enjoyed reading this. I started riding in the early 70s as a little kid. First mini bike, then my dad got me a new Honda MR50 when I was 9 in 1974. I rode the piss out of that thing and got a 125 when I outgrew it. I got a 1977 DT360 when I was 18 in 1983 and learned to ride the road. In 87 I bought a new Yamaha Maxim X 700.  I put around 8k miles on it and then traded it for a 89 Yamaha FJ1200. It was crazy fast and I had lots of fun. Even rode it on the track a few times. In the mid 90s I bought a 89 Gold wing and put over 60k miles on it. The only time I almost biffed it was on an exit ramp and I almost high sided the gold wing at about 50 mph. I am still not sure how I saved it, but I did.

I got rid of it after the cell phone craze kicked to high gear and there are so many distracted drivers. I can't tell you how many times I about got ran over. I just always assumed that they would pill out in front of me, and then when they did, it was no big deal.

I would like ride again, but now I am in my 50s I just don't want the risk.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:47:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Middle age is not the time to start riding
View Quote
Pretty sure that's a common age and situation to wreck in. Guy rode something in his youth. Decided he wants back in. Overestimates how quickly he'll pick it back up or just rides occasionally. Wrecks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
There's only two kinds of motorcyclists. Those that have been in a wreck and those that will be in a wreck. I've been in two wrecks so far by fucking cagers making left hand turns into me. I still ride. When your number is up, your number is up.
View Quote
That's a ridiculous fallacy that you tell yourself. But I can't fault you for wanting to ride anyways.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Have broken my left side collar bone three times over my life ...once from falling out a crib when I was a baby once from a skateboard when I was young and last from a dirt bike....third time finally got a titanium plate and screws out in...
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
In my patrol days I worked an unbelievable amount of motorcycle wrecks where they were still on the dealers GAP insurance and the bike still had the paper dealer tag
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:53:57 PM EDT
[#43]
$9k does not buy much of a bike, specially a Harley
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:55:12 PM EDT
[#44]
My wife thought she would like to have her own bike.  She bought a Suzuki (edit - not an EX500 which is a Kaw) GS500E and after I did a bunch of maintenance and clean up work she decided she didn't want to ride.

The guy we sold the bike to had only ridden small scooters before.  He handed us the cash and I suggested I'd just ride it over to his house and drop it off for him.  I'm really glad he took me up on that.

My bike back then was a ZRX1200R which I picked as a bike to get back into riding since I wanted a standard and didn't want anything too heavy.    

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:55:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Not too long ago someone picked up a brand new Road King and crashed it and died in the dealership parking lot.  Look up Maroney's Harley Davidson in New Windsor, NY.
View Quote
That's where I got my current HD, hadn't heard about that.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#46]
lol
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#47]
A few years back a Mountain Bike magazine did a "product review" for various titanium clavicle bone implants.

Kinda funny, since we apparently break them a lot. Maybe I can dig up the article and you can send it to your co-worker?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
$9k does not buy much of a bike, specially a Harley
View Quote
Whut? 9k can get you a pretty nice bike new and some significant performance used.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Harley Davidson made Gary Busey the man he is today.
View Quote
No...being stupid and refusing to gear up made Fucknuts the man he is today.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:10:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Friend of mine (2016 GSA) and I (2017 1290 SA-R) always subscribe to letting the slow guy go first. Our buddy with the Harley always takes the lead with his cargo shorts, mini helmet and t-shirt.

Nice enough guy, but his lack of riding skill and disdain for gear make me cringe.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top