Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 11:24:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Took quite a few rides in the C47 being an Air Force brat.
Cool plane.
My favorite was/is Fairchild C-119 Flying Boxcar

These old planes remind me of the adventures of Terry and the Pirates.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 5:18:44 AM EDT
[#2]
DC3s make nice weathervanes.

Link Posted: 9/14/2016 6:52:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Delta has flown both the DC-3 (C-47) and the CW-20 (C-46).  One of those planes was dug out of Puerto Rico and fully restored.

And prior to Delta, this was one of my babies.

Most of our heavy lifting was done with the Convairs though.

Link Posted: 9/14/2016 6:56:40 AM EDT
[#4]
C-47 with turbo-props and floats, for the win!
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 7:33:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Almost bought a DC-3 once.

Almost.

It crashed a couple years later outside of Boise ID.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 7:39:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The 47 had a huge reputation of durability, what ever it's other faults.
View Quote
First aircraft I Flew and piloted

Link Posted: 9/14/2016 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Would love to fly one of these old birds that you really have to "fly".

The Encore+ we fly now is wonderful but very automated.

At least I still get to fly the King Air and do "pilot stuff" in that one.
But the King Air is still so easy to fly.

I've been invited to ride in the local C-47 giving rides at our home airport
so going to have to take them up on that. At least I'll get to watch those
guys wrestle the thing around the pattern.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
While not as mechanically reliable during the war, each C46 was capable of carrying three times the load at twice the range and at higher speed than each C47.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 10:10:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Kind of a tough comparison.  The 46 was a generation newer and a size larger.  It was also a much more complex aircraft and had a lot of teething issues.  In fairness, it's development was rushed.  The 46 could fly higher, farther, and carry more stuff.  It excelled in the Hump route, which is part of its problem.  The Hump Campaign never got the attention it deserved.  The 47 was everywhere.  It was an already proven aircraft when the war began; ramping up production was a simple matter.  It wasn't the perfect tactical airlifter (the DC-5 would have been better) but it was available in the numbers needed.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Whichever one is still being used.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Whichever one is still being used.
View Quote

Both are.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 11:43:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Goony.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Whichever one bombed Pearl Harbor.  That's the one that gets my vote.
View Quote

I think the German's used the Heinkel 111, mostly

Link Posted: 9/14/2016 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My grandfather, who flew the Hump at the end of WW2 with the 1305th AAFBU, would've said the C-46.

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc426/jlheard3/headshot_zpsa595324a.jpg

View Quote

I have a pic of my grandfather at the controls of a C-46 flying the Hump.

Mainly though he flew an L-4 as an arty spotter in CBI.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 11:56:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought they used Rugers?

Link Posted: 9/14/2016 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Naaaaaa.......it was Sopwith Camels.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
 It excelled in the Hump route, which is part of its problem.  The Hump Campaign never got the attention it deserved.
View Quote

According to the Hump Veteran with whom I spoke, there was a reason for that. That reason had everything to do with the USAAF.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#18]
C46 is a cool plane.

But the C47 and this one in particular is the real deal.  I have privilege of assisting in wrenching on her on weekends.  Lead plane second wave on D-day.  Flew in market garden. Flew back to Normandy for the 70 year anniversary.

Imagine your 18 flying over the English Channel in the dark getting shot at about to jump behind enemy lines.

This one is not my photo but dang skippy she is s beautiful bird in the air.

Side by side
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

According to the Hump Veteran with whom I spoke, there was a reason for that. That reason had everything to do with the USAAF.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 It excelled in the Hump route, which is part of its problem.  The Hump Campaign never got the attention it deserved.

The CBI theater in general was an annoying after thought for much of the war.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 12:16:50 PM EDT
[#20]
N136PB will offer insight into this question.

ETA: Forgot about N18121.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 1:06:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s6.photobucket.com/user/Iron_Airship/media/BaslerDc-3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/Iron_Airship/BaslerDc-3.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s6.photobucket.com/user/Iron_Airship/media/lowpass.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/Iron_Airship/lowpass.jpg</a>

Want.
View Quote

I have ridden in both of those planes

You haven't lived until you have flown in a C-47 with turbo props!

Pat
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 1:14:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Not saying I am old, but in 1969 I went on R&R in a C47, to Chiang Mai Thailand .
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#24]
My father was in the last reserve unit to fly the C-46. They took them to the boneyard in the late 50s. They got 119s to replace them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In this guy's estimation, it was a function of the pilots who were assigned there. The Hump was essentially a civilian operation, albeit in uniform. The USAAF didn't like the fact that they needed civilian pilots, and didn't like to credit them at all.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My father was in the last reserve unit to fly the C-46. They took them to the boneyard in the late 50s. They got 119s to replace them.
View Quote

I don't know if that was a trade up. The buck nineteen was a treacherous airplane, as well. Better the Devil you know.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 1:54:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Did not know that...thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 The old McDonnell Aircraft plant across from the terminal at Lambert Field was used by Curtiss for C-46 manufacture.

As was SDF. Later built Farmall tractors at the plant. Then Louisville Forge moved in, making crankshafts. Torn down for UPS hub.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 1:54:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
As was SDF. Later built Farmall tractors at the plant. Then Louisville Forge moved in, making crankshafts. Torn down for UPS hub.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
 The old McDonnell Aircraft plant across from the terminal at Lambert Field was used by Curtiss for C-46 manufacture.

Did not know that, either! Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 2:08:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Delta has flown both the DC-3 (C-47) and the CW-20 (C-46).  One of those planes was dug out of Puerto Rico and fully restored.

http://www.john2031.com/douglas/dc-3/aircraft_photos_cn_2000-3999/N28341-1.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/595/21041407501_6fee4ebd61_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8069/8226165166_ee536817c9_b.jpg

http://www.aerialvisuals.ca/Airframe/Gallery/0/8/0000008720.jpg
View Quote
Rhodes? Middletown?
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 2:14:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Also made in Buffalo and Louisville.  The plant had a twin, I want to say in Cincinnatti, a sort of "standardized" facility for government production.

While Building 2 in St. Louis was still in operation, someone came up with a straight edge with Curtiss-Wright markings that was still in use in the factory.  Since it had not been "calibrated" in a while, naturally the fussy quality people had to send it through the lab, after which it returned to service where it belongs, making airplanes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also made in Buffalo and Louisville.  The plant had a twin, I want to say in Cincinnatti, a sort of "standardized" facility for government production.

While Building 2 in St. Louis was still in operation, someone came up with a straight edge with Curtiss-Wright markings that was still in use in the factory.  Since it had not been "calibrated" in a while, naturally the fussy quality people had to send it through the lab, after which it returned to service where it belongs, making airplanes.

Cincinnati was the Curtis Wright engine plant, now known as GE Jet Engine. About the only reason Delta still flys to Paris from CVG.

The highway out front was known as the Lockland Highway, built to serve the plant.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 2:52:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

In this guy's estimation, it was a function of the pilots who were assigned there. The Hump was essentially a civilian operation, albeit in uniform. The USAAF didn't like the fact that they needed civilian pilots, and didn't like to credit them at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CBI was an interesting place.  The Brits focused on India, we focused on China, and the Nationalist Chinese focused on the Communists.  Nobody got along,  The theater was almost always last in priority for anything.  Stilwell and Chennault hated each other (Stilwell pretty much hated everyone but especially Chaing Kai Chek).  Churchill was determined to keep India in the Empire which Roosevelt was completely indifferent to.   The Brits needed 400,000 troops to keep order in India.  And it was a hell of a long ways away from anything.  With the exception of Mountbatten, Stratemeyer, and Slim it was a career graveyard for everyone that served there.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 7:14:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Rhodes? Middletown?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.john2031.com/douglas/dc-3/aircraft_photos_cn_2000-3999/N28341-1.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/595/21041407501_6fee4ebd61_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8069/8226165166_ee536817c9_b.jpg

http://www.aerialvisuals.ca/Airframe/Gallery/0/8/0000008720.jpg
Rhodes? Middletown?

Columbus, IN

I remember back in the late 90's, Jack Rhodes wanted to buy some 727's and DC-9's that Kitty Hawk was going to sell, till he saw the price of a JT8D hot section overhaul. He bought the Convair 600 and 640s instead.  Those Darts were pieces of shit!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top