BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 298
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:34:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It doesn't matter. The design makes it so that water can go around the espillway and if it does long enough it doesn't matter if the Emergency spillway is the proverbial immovable object. The result will be the same as it the walls all fell down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It doesn't matter. The design makes it so that water can go around the espillway and if it does long enough it doesn't matter if the Emergency spillway is the proverbial immovable object. The result will be the same as it the walls all fell down.

It's not going around the e-spillway, it's going over the e-spillway and down the wrong side of the hill.  That's a fixable problem.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:35:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:35:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Hey look, bedrock.  Can we put the whole "it's not built on bedrock, it's built on fill" thing to rest now.
View All Quotes

Except only the guys who relied on the LA Times' interns graphic said it was built on fill.

The question is whether those are toed into solid bed rock or if the stone in the area is sloppy and includes more fractured bullshit than anything else.

Also, according to this:  http://www.slideshare.net/Vyankyo/dam-reservoir-amp-tunnels

Fracturing and planes angled toward the downhill direction are undesirable.   There's a photo in this thread that seems to show why.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:36:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have know idea how they are anchored and never really thought about it until you said something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I assume (maybe stupid of me to) that all the house boats on the far side of the damn are empty and anchored really good?

If the Espillway broke it will be moving a ton of surface water and I can see those boats going along for the ride, and those have to contain a good amout of fuel and or propane that can cause nice little booms when they get smashed up against something.

I just haven't seen anything new about the boats and it made me think of those.
I have know idea how they are anchored and never really thought about it until you said something.

They're probably not anchored, they're probably moored.  It's a meaningful difference.  Moorings are usually large cement blocks, not just a fork stuck in the mud.  A proper mooring should be capable of sinking those boats before the mooring blocks move, but once they're under water and creating drag from the flow, they could well move.  The tethers would break first, I suspect, but again, they'll just be a bit of interesting flotsam and there will be no "boom".
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Hey look, bedrock.  Can we put the whole "it's not built on bedrock, it's built on fill" thing to rest now.
View Quote

Bedrock, as in, BED, aka, the BOTTOM rock, this is not! And if they simply "washed off the "bedrock", and then built the dam, then they are truly fucked. Only in Cali
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:37:00 PM EDT
[#6]
A solution to the dam problem.

Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:37:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No. the Feds assisted with 30% of the initial construction cost.   They haven't administered shit with that damn for at least 14 years for sure, since CA decided to turn it into a storage dam instead of a flood control dam.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

20% of the responsibility for dam operations belongs to the feds and is administered by the Army Corps of Engineers.

No. the Feds assisted with 30% of the initial construction cost.   They haven't administered shit with that damn for at least 14 years for sure, since CA decided to turn it into a storage dam instead of a flood control dam.

Is there any documentation on that change from flood control to storage?  Everything I can find says it was intended for flood control, hydroelectric generation, and water storage.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's not going around the e-spillway, it's going over the e-spillway and down the wrong side of the hill.  That's a fixable problem.
View Quote

But it is....

The water is going over the parking lot and bypassing the spillway,  causing earth erosion and turbulence in in the water flow at the end of the e spillway.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:38:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:39:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:39:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Is there any documentation on that change from flood control to storage?  Everything I can find says it was intended for flood control, hydroelectric generation, and water storage.
View Quote

It wasn't a change. A couple pages back there was a YouTube video documentary/puff piece that included Ronaldus Maximus dedicating the damn. He mentioned storage in his dedication. It was always meant for storage.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:41:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Is there any pictures or video of helicopters moving rocks? I curious to see if I can tell who is doing it.
View Quote
PJ Helicopters
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:41:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The dam is an inflow for multiple streams of water, thus it's a waterSHED. While a watershed dam does indeed hold water, being used as a reservoir is at best a secondary purpose. That's why you build reservoirs, so your dam doesn't get stressed beyond design limits. The state got complacent and skipped on basic maintenance, and got greedy by keeping the watershed filled to such a high level that the kind of storms they saw 15 or 20 years ago overloaded the dam's emergency overflow because they shit the bucket on spillway repair. Now they're paying the piper, and Moonbeam's sitting in his mansion smoking pot while people with no slack in their budgets are forced to evacuate. Typical California government.
View Quote

While the maintence part is true, the waterlevel was below the spillway intake in December... it has come up 200+ feet.

It hasn't been kept overfilled..
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:41:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:42:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You can't be trusted so I fixed it for you.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/369185/map-of-bag-drop-146264.JPG
View Quote

that is what I saw as well, if there is enough flow, its going both ways.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:43:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They're probably not anchored, they're probably moored.  It's a meaningful difference.  Moorings are usually large cement blocks, not just a fork stuck in the mud.  A proper mooring should be capable of sinking those boats before the mooring blocks move, but once they're under water and creating drag from the flow, they could well move.  The tethers would break first, I suspect, but again, they'll just be a bit of interesting flotsam and there will be no "boom".
View Quote
I know very little about boating. Mooring makes sense. 
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:43:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Direct link for donations:

http://nvcf.org/fund/oroville-evacuation-fund/

ETA:

"North Valley Community Foundation is collecting donations to support Oroville area residents forced to evacuate due to the Oroville Dam Spillway emergency. 100% of donated funds will go to aid those directly affected by the evacuation. Contributions are tax-deductible: 501(c)(3), EIN 68-0161455."
View Quote

Hit!
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:43:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm 400pgs behind...what did I miss?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:44:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

But it is....

The water is going over the parking lot and bypassing the spillway,  causing earth erosion and turbulence in in the water flow at the end of the e spillway.
View Quote

Unless it ends in dirt rather than rock - so what?  its an emergency spillway - topsoils and shit are going to wash downhill.  

If it can compromise the weir and cause a failure of the weir structure - it's bad.  Otherwise, meh.  The hill next to it looks like a pile of rock.  most it can do is maybe scour out a bit.

Still really like to see some dimensioned drawings of the weir cross section and specs on it's construction (anchorages especially)   If it's entirely a gravity structure, I wonder what kind of head it is ale to withstand.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:44:40 PM EDT
[#20]
video of Northern edge of the water flow while it was flowing over the emergency spillway.

Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

They built the dam and spillways on sand.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:44:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That looks like bedrock to you?  Sure looks like loose rocky dirt to me.
View Quote

Yes, it's bedrock.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:45:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

But it is....

View Quote

The spillway extends past the parking lot, it runs right into the hillside.

It IS possible that the parking lot, which was built after the spillway, is creating an unforeseen problem.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:45:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Really, really stupid idea: dump a bunch of oil on the opposite side of the reservoir from the dam and light it to facilitate evaporation?

It'll drive the environuts crazy, but if the wind cooperates it might help lower the water level. It can't be as dumb as nuking it
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:45:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I assume (maybe stupid of me to) that all the house boats on the far side of the damn are empty and anchored really good?

If the Espillway broke it will be moving a ton of surface water and I can see those boats going along for the ride, and those have to contain a good amout of fuel and or propane that can cause nice little booms when they get smashed up against something.

I just haven't seen anything new about the boats and it made me think of those.

I was saying boom as I saw boats boom, not like a movie boom, in 93 on the Mississippi River during those floods, it was more of a thump but not a Hollywood explosion
But it was a nice thump they had, it was also a huge tangle of different boats plus a combo of all day the other shit and houses that were washed away.

I never thought about moorings on them, you are right on that's probably how they are set and I could see them pulled under first.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:45:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I can't see how the spillway intakes can be anything other than the gates directly against the lake water, no tunnels or anything. Pretty much any gravity dam I can think of is just a gate.

Pretty much like this pic I took of a local dam. Nothing but the lake behind those gates.

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/60950_1425638036153_5361579_n.jpg?oh=6fb2c3cca771e14e1d3a1e9e880dd8c8&oe=59329ED6

Unfortunately I can't find a single diagram of how the spillway is constructed on oroville or a single picture of lake side of the spillway when the water level was low.

Nevermind, I see they were posted above. No tunnels.
View Quote

That's what I was going off of... the video the guy did of some intakes in the dry lake bed. Of course I can't keep up with the thread and have been corrected.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:47:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:48:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

True, water supply is part of it.   If you read the source I linked on page 131-ish, it was approved for 2.4M Acre Feet per year.   They've been running it 50% above that, and therefore lost FERC licensing, since the dam was not designed to be run at that capacity.   They planned on having it near double that, at 4.1M AF/year by 2010 "with some modifications".   The paper is from 1991, before any of the crap started.

All CA Dams have been keeping thier "low pool" higher and higher, making these floods a certainty.   It's Engineering a disaster and then blaming the original Design team for it not handling 150% stress for the last 20% of the life of the dam.   NOW, add in lack of maintenance.   Lack of inspections to decide if maintenance is needed, actually.  

CA is going to flood, maybe not this week, maybe not this year, but these reservoirs are not going to hold if they keep trying to push the limits year after year after year.   Then try to declare "EMERGENCY!" when their fuckup goes sideways.

The dam failures I've seen since y2k are all due to the increased water storage due to "Global Warming going to be drought forever" hype, not just in CA.
View Quote

Kinda like Congress spending more and more money, the National Debt gets higher, nothing happens, so they keep doing it. "Hey, it didn't happen on MY watch."
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:48:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Its bedrock alright, just really rotten bedrock.
Under the rotten stuff will be the more solid stuff of course but who knows the depth of that.

The rotten stuff can easily have a channel cut through it
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:48:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The spillway extends past the parking lot, it runs right into the hillside.

It IS possible that the parking lot, which was built after the spillway, is creating an unforeseen problem.
View Quote

I see that in some of the pics now.  

I hadn't seen that in the pics before.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:48:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That isn't what the video showed.
Water was flowing off that parking lot and down the hill to the river. That is why there is a bigass hole they are dropping rocks in right now.
View Quote

The parking lot is behind the e-spillway, not next to it.  The e-spillway goes all the way to the road next to the parking lot.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:50:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The parking lot is behind the e-spillway, not next to it.  The e-spillway goes all the way to the road next to the parking lot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Water was flowing off that parking lot and down the hill to the river. That is why there is a bigass hole they are dropping rocks in right now.

I may of,glossed over it, did anyone say that the Espillway is the same width/depth across the whole thing and by the parking lot it was just backfilled?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:50:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:51:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It wasn't a change. A couple pages back there was a YouTube video documentary/puff piece that included Ronaldus Maximus dedicating the damn. He mentioned storage in his dedication. It was always meant for storage.
View Quote

It would be silly to think storage was not part of the rationale for constructing the dam project of this magnitude.

The problem comes from Kalis ever increasing thirst, ever increasing storage efforts, and deferring maintenance.

There is a reason this Dam lost it's Federal license.

It's going to be a long runoff season for California.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:51:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the Arfcom engineering crew is coming out of the basements to rebuild it!
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:53:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right now our basis of design is a "technical illustration" from some MSM article that is based on almost nothing.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:53:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
The video of the helicopters delivering rocks doesn't show much evidence of water going around the end of the wier. If it did it doesn't seem to have cause much damage right there. It is asphalt though, that helps.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:53:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Whatever you say...

There are only tons of pics available some on this very page.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever you say...

There are only tons of pics available some on this very page.

and they show exactly what he says it shows.   The weir structure runs from the dam some 1700'.  Its 900' from the dam to the parking lot.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:53:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
its been awhile, but good time to post this...
http://www.emergencyemail.org/Default.asp

good idea for everyone to sign up  

and 

http://www.globalincidentmap.com/
View Quote

Jesus that emergencymail site is one insanely shitty website.

Nearly tops this one I had to make purchases from today 

http://www.ipearl-inc.com/
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:54:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't be trusted so I fixed it for you.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/369185/map-of-bag-drop-146264.JPG

The black dot is where they're filling holes, so that's what they have to plug ASAP to prevent any further erosion. The black line is where the water will flow (underneath the weir and through whatever the weir sits on) if the holes are not plugged and the water rises.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:54:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Would be a lot more fixable if they had an access road on that side. 
Pretty sure the only way they can get over to the parking lot side right now is by chopper.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:54:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is a correct statement; pay attention and study the photos before and after.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:54:59 PM EDT
[#43]

Notice the spillway capacity says 650,000 cfs
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:55:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:55:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
north valley community foundation

Nvcf

I know board members, the money is being distributed straight to the local points of need.

I'd prefer to not handle peoples funds.

Elks lodge has a bar!
View Quote
Sent $50. Not much but it will buy some water and food.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#46]

NOT bedrock; see all the fissures and layers? Rock? Yes, but just the top, looser layer. Trust me buddy, I've worked behind a TBM at 400' BELOW what you call bedrock, drilling through solid dolomite limestone; what you're looking at is just large rocks holding hands!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can see the e-spillway in this Google Earth view.  It extends along the parking lot and appears to be at the same level.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.5459044,-121.4943545,3a,90y,213.61h,67.94t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1s-Nl1qwePcY3c%2FVvRnb_nfzBI%2FAAAAAAABBx4%2FmbkrVQhW3FMQgp-zY5SjyuyG6rFYgGgDQCLIB!2e4!3e11!6s%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2F-Nl1qwePcY3c%2FVvRnb_nfzBI%2FAAAAAAABBx4%2FmbkrVQhW3FMQgp-zY5SjyuyG6rFYgGgDQCLIB%2Fw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya282.80884-ro0-fo100%2F!7i7680!8i3840
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:56:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
video of Northern edge of the water flow while it was flowing over the emergency spillway.

View Quote

I'm on a phone but us that concrete at 50 seconds o so of the vid
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:56:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:56:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Notice the spillway capacity says 650,000 cfs
View Quote

I'd like to see that
Page / 298
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top