Site Notices
Page / 298
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:37:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You might have issues.
View Quote

Read the thread before you make a comment...objectivity is a good thing...
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:38:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

People like you are not allowed to derail this thread and people like you are alone...
View Quote

Cripes... get the hell over it and move on already. Your hurt feelz are boring the shit out of me... much like a thousand pictures of cheeseburgers.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:39:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Actually, she is really enjoying her LCP II (better than her LCP I or her LCR)...so she would have one round left...

Frick, I missed another dickhead comment that should be reported...

What is up with you "guys" ?
View Quote

Stay away from the East Coast if a 5 guys in ya mouth joke is enough to make you start insinuating you are going to murder people on the internet.

Safe spaces and sanctuary cities are real.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:39:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Read the thread before you make a comment...objectivity is a good thing...
View Quote
Sir yes sir!
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:56:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:17:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
One of the best threads going right now, and two guys jack it up over a joke about cheeseburger joints?  WTF?
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:19:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Level at 902.57' up 0.01' from 2300 PST

Inflow 61754 cfs down 5355 cfs from 2300 PST

Outflow from main spillway 55070 cfs

If it continues this trend into the next hour, inflow and outflow should be about equal. I think. Lol.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:21:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
and as if by magic as soon as I say that...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4beV7iWMAE4DVK.jpg
View Quote

Great picture.

Looks like the Espillway is doing what it should be doing.  

I assume with it being dark out there right now the visual feeds aren't coming, but is there any word on the inflow rates?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:27:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If it continues this trend into the next hour, inflow and outflow should be about equal.
View Quote

Awesome! Then they can start gaining some ground and get as much as possible drained off before the next system goes through. Maybe even some quick and dirty repairs to the main spillway and the hydro plant.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:30:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Great picture.

I assume with it being dark out there right now the visual feeds aren't coming, but is there any word on the inflow rates?
View Quote
1 post above or in the quotes 1 below. Your choice
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:32:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If it continues this trend into the next hour, inflow and outflow should be about equal.
View Quote

But it'll keep spilling until the level comes back under 900 or thereabouts, correct?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:36:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

But it'll keep spilling until the level comes back under 900 or thereabouts, correct?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The e-spillway is at 901' so any level above that will spill over.

Anything below 901' has to go out the main spillway or the hydroelectric outlet that's currently closed off.

Or evaporate
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:38:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How could any society be so completely full of derp?!?  I just don't understand it at all.  
View Quote

I was talking to a couple of Australians the other day about guns.
One guy just couldn't understand how we "Americans" could like guns so much, the other guy was envious of all the fun guns we can own.

I told the "guns-meh" guy that 20 years ago Australia had a large gun culture.
The other guy sadly agreed with me, then he said that's what 20 years of not owning guns will do.

Same thing with the dams.
Most of the libtards in California have never lived with uncontrolled rivers that flood, rivers that destroy, rivers that go dry, all they know are the rivers that are controlled by dams and dams are bad.

Let the fucktards knock down all of the dams along a major river system (say line the Feather River system) and see what their tune is when they realize that there is no water for irrigation of the crops, drinking, flood control, power generation and recreation.

I'll bet that less than .001 percent of the population of California knows where their drinking water comes from and the complex river / canal / lake / reservoir systems that are in place to get them that water.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:42:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Or evaporate
View Quote

Or drink it.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssM4KBRX_Qw[/youtube]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:43:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Damn that damn dam.  

Now I got to stay up for the next hours numbers.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:49:28 AM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes
I lol'd
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:51:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Damn that damn dam.  

Now I got to stay up for the next hours numbers.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/367483/IMG-8977-145119.JPG
View Quote

have found my self doing the same thing, cant go to sleep cause I want to see the numbers, was up at 5am cause I wanted to see the numbers
check this thread from my tractor cleaning snow for a neighbor cause I want to see the numbers

addicted
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:53:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

One guy just couldn't understand how we "Americans" could like guns so much, the other guy was envious of all the fun guns we can own.

The other guy sadly agreed with me, then he said that's what 20 years of not owning guns will do.

Most of the libtards in California have never lived with uncontrolled rivers that flood, rivers that destroy, rivers that go dry, all they know are the rivers that are controlled by dams and dams are bad.

Let the fucktards knock down all of the dams along a major river system (say line the Feather River system) and see what their tune is when they realize that there is no water for irrigation of the crops, drinking, flood control, power generation and recreation.

I'll bet that less than .001 percent of the population of California knows where their drinking water comes from and the complex river / canal / lake / reservoir systems that are in place to get them that water.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How could any society be so completely full of derp?!?  I just don't understand it at all.  

Californians definitely know about dry rivers.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:08:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:20:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great picture.

Thanks....yes, perfect timing
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:26:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Level 902.58' up 0.01' from 1 hour ago

Inflow 58434cfs down 3320cfs

Outflow 55077cfs
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:30:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I had my first in n out in vegas a couple weeks ago during SHOT show. I gotta say, as simple as that burger was, it was amazing! Will be back for more!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I had my first in n out in vegas a couple weeks ago during SHOT show. I gotta say, as simple as that burger was, it was amazing! Will be back for more!

+1
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:33:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:45:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I really hope we get some HD video with lots of closeups of the spillway face come daylight.

If there's nothing online by 10am PST, I'll be suspicious.  
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:50:39 AM EDT
[#25]
New  numbers coming up. Attachment Attached File

That's 10 mins for you nasty legs.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:53:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Attachment Attached File
Get Ready!
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:54:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Emergency spillway is farther away from the main structure, if it erodes AWAY from the dam, thats fine.  Neither are good options.  But keeping the erosion farther away is far more important.

fuck your trees and dirt.
View Quote

so basically fuck your  trees and dirt , or FUCK YOUR TREES FOR MILES AND DIRT FOR MILES AND OH THOSE TOWNS!!!! and stil maybe it will go.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:07:32 AM EDT
[#28]
0200 PST

Level is 902.58' no change from 0100 PST

Inflow 57249cfs down 1185cfs

Outflow 55077

If the trend continues, should be a drop in the water level at 0300 or 0400 PST
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:37:04 AM EDT
[#29]
I came into this thread hoping for a monster truck rally type review of a dam breaking in California, and so massive wall of water washing a bunch of hippies into the side of the RCBS building(which would be spared). instead I get 74 PAGES of Inandout burgers(we dont have them), 5 guys(same ), and an attempted AROCKing over a really bad joke(that i cant even read because the mods took it down)... DANMIT ARFCOM YOUR letting me down!!!
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:37:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Great thread to say the least ProFryan. Finally caught up reading - in on 7o-whatever.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:39:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It's like nature is trying to flush
View Quote

Thanks, you woke my wife up with my laughing.

She fails to find any humor in these activities
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:10:40 AM EDT
[#32]
0300 PST

Level 902.59' up .01'

Inflow 55591cfs down 1658cfs

Outflow 55077cfs steady
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:34:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
0300 PST

Level 902.59' up .01'

Outflow 55077cfs steady
View Quote

I'm confused- I thought they were holding the primary spillway at 55k cfs- did they turn it down, or are they not counting e-spill flow (or is e-spill flow negligible in context, meaning just 77 cfs?)
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:42:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
0300 PST

Level 902.59' up .01'

Outflow 55077cfs steady
View Quote

either the sensors need calibration, or they are not able to see the water soaking into the dam from the wet dirt or something
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm confused- I thought they were holding the primary spillway at 55k cfs- did they turn it down, or are they not counting e-spill flow (or is e-spill flow negligible in context, meaning just 77 cfs?)
View Quote
Im not sure either.

I don't think the e-spill lets as much water out as we think it does right now.  

I think I saw somewhere earlier in an online article that it was 4-6000cfs.

If the level drops to 901' and there's still outflow then we know that's all main spillway until they turn the hydroelectric turbines back on.

Other then that I'm scratching my head on those numbers the last few hours looking back.

Fuuuuuuck. Now I want to see 0400 numbers
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:03:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Holy Shit!

How the Fuck did I miss this thread?

Awesome videos OP!
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:04:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Flow over a weir is pretty easy to calculate.   18" of head over a rectangular weir 900' long is roughly 4500 cfs.  (Didnt do the calculations, just extrapolated a chart that shows head vs flow for up to 12" head).  Chart is based on the Francis equation for rectangular weirs.

The dam operators would have a chart for head vs flow for the exact shape and boundaries of the weir at oroville.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:15:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Flow over a weir is pretty easy to calculate.   18" of head over a rectangular weir 900' long is roughly 4500 cfs.  (Didnt do the calculations, just extrapolated a chart that shows head vs flow for up to 12" head).  Chart is based on the Francis equation for rectangular weirs.

The dam operators would have a chart for head vs flow for the exact shape and boundaries of the weir at oroville.
View Quote

Isn't the weir on the auxiliary spillway on a slight gradient?

I recall seeing an image that showed the area nearest the dam wall flowing first, with the area towards the car park end still dry.

I could be wrong. May be other factors involved such as shelter or wave deflection from the carpark area, and exposure to wind in different parts of the lake behind the weir.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:20:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Easy?

Calculating a 5 DOS of batteries an infantry battalion needs for all their systems and equipment is easy.

Calculating a 1/4 wave length dipole HF antenna is easy.

Calculating the length and width of a DZ and the release point for X number of jumpers for Y aircraft is easy.

Flow rate over a weir?

Off to look at info about the Francis equation for weirs.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:22:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Level went down .01' to 902.58'

In and out flow remained the same from last hour.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:28:02 AM EDT
[#41]
I went through a flood once. Lost my 1st home and a 35' camper. I remember a couple state guys coming down our road (river bottom) stopped, got out and walked around for a bit. Then they left. I over heard them talking, "just think this whole area will be under 10' of water". They didn't warn anyone or offer to help, just left. I bet that's what's up with the powers that be, they know.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:31:30 AM EDT
[#42]

ARE YOU READY!
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:45:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Easy?

Calculating a 5 DOS of batteries an infantry battalion needs for all their systems and equipment is easy.

Calculating the length and width of a DZ and the release point for X number of jumpers for Y aircraft is easy.

Flow rate over a weir?

View Quote

You might enjoy reading about Ogee crests.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:48:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Level went down .01' to 902.58'

In and out flow remained the same from last hour.
View Quote

You wouldn't happen to be tracking downstream water levels along with the dam conditions, would you?   I'm curious what the downstream flood levels look like (i.e. rising, falling, holding).

I'm starting to become more comfortable with the current situation at the dam, but worried that while all the attention is on the 2 spill way systems, we may be missing the catastrophe unfolding below from the steady flow of water over the last 36 hours.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:48:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Easy?

Flow rate over a weir?

View Quote

All kinds of calculators for weir's out there. Here is one for a simple weir, doesn't take into consideration the velocity of the water going over but gives an idea of the flow rate:

http://irrigation.wsu.edu/Content/Calculators/Water-Measurements/Rectangular-Contracted-Weir.php

Here's one for an ogee weir:

http://ponce.sdsu.edu/onlineogeerating.php

Pretty cool!

Dang it! Beat below!
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:58:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Approach velocity is zero, it's a pool of water.

Here is a calculator for an ogee crest.  http://ponce.sdsu.edu/onlineogeerating.php  Lots of coefficients are determined on the dimensions of the crest as-built that affect the discharge computation. Have fun.

Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:01:54 AM EDT
[#47]
So I was laying in bed at 4 AM wondering what was going on with the Dam Thread.  Couldn't sleep or resist and just got caught up.  Sun is coming up here and wondering what it's gonna look like there once the first rays peak over that ridge.

Guesses?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:09:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Level down another .01' to 902.57'
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:11:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I came into this thread hoping for a monster truck rally type review of a dam breaking in California, and so massive wall of water washing a bunch of hippies into the side of the RCBS building(which would be spared). instead I get 74 PAGES of Inandout burgers(we dont have them), 5 guys(same ), and an attempted AROCKing over a really bad joke(that i cant even read because the mods took it down)... DANMIT ARFCOM YOUR letting me down!!!
View Quote

Well, your going to have to imagine what it will be like rafting the new Feather River Canyon, looking up a the remains of Oroville on the bluffs high above.

Canoe trips galore in the early summer, and then by August it will be more like dragging your float tube over the gravel bars into the next pool all day. Just like in the Ozarks. But the fourwheeling will be awesome at the effluvial plain.

It was mentioned if you read all the posts. I'm surprised nobody has put up a kickstarter asking for investors in a canoe ride business. It's not the canoes, or even the fleet of school buses, it's the Toll Road along the rim that will be the big moneymaker.

Otherwise what we got so far is a John Wayne sized crick weir with some water going over it. Around here people walk them for the fun of it when they can keep their footing. Maybe we can get somebody to do that. And video their "Romancing the Stone" slip and slide down the espillway.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#50]
The moon could change the level by .01'.
Page / 298
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top