Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:17:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Used to be a Cummins man until I got a Cat, great engine for a real truck.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:19:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Drove a lenco type swat vehicle.  Weighed 17k. has the ford 6.7 diesel

doesn't have any of the dpf def crap on it.  got 20+mpg driving over the Tahoe pass.  

The same motor in a dually with all the crap on it barely gets 12mpg.

Who is the winner with the DPF crap?
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:23:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Drove a lenco type swat vehicle.  Weighed 17k. has the ford 6.7 diesel

doesn't have any of the dpf def crap on it.  got 20+mpg driving over the Tahoe pass.  

The same motor in a dually with all the crap on it barely gets 12mpg.

Who is the winner with the DPF crap?
View Quote
The people that don't want fossil fueled vehicles to get good mileage
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:34:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve seen some Isuzu diesels put up impressive hours with minimal service. Deutz 2011 diesel has always impressed me as well.

The Deutz service rep recommended that we let them run until the timing belts broke, replace push rods and timing belt, run for another 6000+ hours.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:37:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Have had various equipment over the years;
Massey backhoes w Perkins.   Only engine that failed, new short block,   was a sleeved engine?
Isuzu in Kobelco excavator.  Held a lot oil for a 4 cyl.
Deutz in International excavator and Ditch Witch trencher plows.   Good engines except for the fan drive alarm
4b,4bt,6bt in Case skid loader and excavators- good engines, Kubotas were the economy option in Case sl's in the 90's., best thing about Case equipment was Cummins power.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 1:14:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I’ve got two. Wish they made a generator with the 722 in it.
View Quote

@hellishhorses

???

the GL11000 has the D722 in it.  
https://www.kubotaengine.com/generators/
https://steadypower.com/product/kubota-tetgl11000-generator-11kw/
https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Kubota-GL11000-Portable-Generator/p62919.html
etc

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#7]
LOL
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 1:35:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Kubota!  

I'd say you mean in vehicles though.
View Quote

Kubota makes good garden tractors, they don't make the best engines or best heavy ag tractors.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#9]
My current winter beater is a 2005 Chrysler Grand Voyager with a 2.5 CRD mated to a 5 speed manual transmission. It has over 300,000K on the odometer and can go around 700K on a full tank.

Started right up this morning with an ambient temp of 19 degrees after sitting for a day and night in the cold,  although I was a little concerned that the battery almost didn't have enough juice to get the motor going. However, once it fired up, it was G2G.

I've driven it from Ansbach, Germany to Paris, France and back, and to Lucerne, Switzerland and back, with no issues from the drivetrain.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My current winter beater is a 2005 Chrysler Grand Voyager with a 2.5 CRD mated to a 5 speed manual transmission. It has over 300,000K on the odometer and can go around 700K on a full tank.

Started right up this morning with an ambient temp of 19 degrees after sitting for a day and night in the cold,  although I was a little concerned that the battery almost didn't have enough juice to get the motor going. However, once it fired up, it was G2G.

I've driven it from Ansbach, Germany to Paris, France and back, and to Lucerne, Switzerland and back, with no issues from the drivetrain.
View Quote

WTF? is it a PWR or something?
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Those seemed to be pretty popular taxi vehicle when I was in Tbilisi.

Quoted:

Sounds like he's in Europe. I don't think the diesel vans were sold here, though there were a very small number of Jeep Liberties that were.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Those seemed to be pretty popular taxi vehicle when I was in Tbilisi.

Sounds like he's in Europe. I don't think the diesel vans were sold here, though there were a very small number of Jeep Liberties that were.
View Quote
kilometers but degrees F? Or is 19 degrees C supposed to be cold?

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
John Deere 6.6L found in the 4020s.

CAT C15 6NZ.

Either will make 5.9 Cummins look unreliable.
View Quote

Oh yea? What do you know about Diesel engines?

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's not saying much though.

Buddy of mine just traded off a '19 Ram 3500 diesel because it was in the shop non-stop with emissions issues.  It was in limp mode or on a rollback as much as it wasn't.

ALL new diesels are garbage.
View Quote

There is a fix for that
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 4:55:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm currently stationed in Germany. I picked up the van for €200 from my neighbor because he could not get the e-brakes to release. Took me three hours to get them unstuck.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 4:56:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
kilometers but degrees F? Or is 19 degrees C supposed to be cold?

View Quote

19 degrees F. It's 12F today, or -11C.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 5:08:16 AM EDT
[#18]
I like the Mercedes OM6xx series, more commonly known as the engines used in most of the Mercedes million-mile taxis.

Toyota's 1hdt usually found in the 80 series Land Cruisers are pretty legendary too.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 5:09:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Typically the Cummins engine will last longer than the shitbox it's installed in.
View Quote

Well.... I mean... you're not wrong.  But that's also true of most gasoline engines these days, too.  I know awfully few people that had to get rid of any vehicle because of the engine, it was that the rest of the car was breaking down too fast.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 5:16:59 AM EDT
[#20]
I've got 8 cat 3408's behind my winches I'm running right this moment. These engines have been running nonstop for about the past 4 months save for oil changes. 10+ years on these engines as well. I'd say they are pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 7:05:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Fairbanks Morse
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 7:59:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Variations of the Cummins 6B engine is used in all sorts of applications. Pickup trucks are the rarity.

Boats, rvs, heavy equipment, commercial vehicles... Etc.

This one gets my vote.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 8:03:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Detroit Series 60?
View Quote

One of the best, in my opinion.
Attachment Attached File

But CAT 3406b, and 2wS and 6nZ C15s are also the bee’s knees. They’ll just cost you a shit ton more to fix when they finally do break something.

Cummins N14 is a beast also.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 8:31:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This, no light duty pickup/car engine will ever come close to the big rig engines...only thing that might out do the big rigs would be the diesels running the generators in trains...Cat/Detroit/IH all put the light duty shit to shame...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cat engines.

This, no light duty pickup/car engine will ever come close to the big rig engines...only thing that might out do the big rigs would be the diesels running the generators in trains...Cat/Detroit/IH all put the light duty shit to shame...
Don't forget industrial generators either.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 8:52:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Kubota DPF equipped engines aren’t spectacular.

Really Komatsu has that down pat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Modern-Kubota

Perkins diesels were low tech but reliable.

Kubota DPF equipped engines aren’t spectacular.

Really Komatsu has that down pat.

I was fortunate to find a 2007 Kubota excavator with low hours and no emission stuff. I'm very pleased with that machine. Later machines went first to catalytic mufflers and then DEF.

Komatsu may have acquired emission technology from Cummins. Komatsu built Cummins engines under license at one time, not sure if that is true today.

Cummins spent a lot of $$$ over many years for R+D on emission systems and natural gas engines. The natural gas Mack garbage trucks have Cummins engines.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:16:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
B model 4 1/4 CAT.
View Quote

User name is appropriate. "B model" "4 1/4"? Sounds like trucker-speak. Do you even know the actual engine model? I do but, IMO, identifying an engine by horsepower is ignorant and not very informative.

CAT/Caterpillar 3406B, 893 cubic inch, 14.6 liter. Late '80's. Last of the mechanical injection 3406's. Produced in a wide ranges of HP's. I have a low-mileage 310HP 3406B in the yard at present.

Side note: I had '99ish 2WS 3406E out of a truck that had an electrical fire. I had a remnant of the ID tag with the serial number but a customer wanted verification that it was actually a 2WS. He told me where to look on the engine block and I found the serial number, marked by hand with a pencil etcher. I mentally pictured a Cat employee at the end of the line hand-etching serial numbers as the last thing before the engines are shipped. I've also seen hand-etched numbers on Cat connecting rods. Just seemed to be a nice touch in today's automated world.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:20:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Mercedes
Volvo
Izuzu

Used to be the best diesel engines
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I like the Mercedes OM6xx series, more commonly known as the engines used in most of the Mercedes million-mile taxis.

Toyota's 1hdt usually found in the 80 series Land Cruisers are pretty legendary too.
View Quote
I have a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the OM642 V6 diesel.    114,000 miles and no issues at all.   It has a tune and gets over 450 torque.   It shines when fully loaded, maintains 5th gear while others are downshifting.   33" tires, 2 inch lift and still gets 25mpg at 73mph.   Will be keeping it until it falls apart or can't get parts.

Also have a 2012 Ram 3500 with a 6.7 Cummins.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#29]
In no real order.

Cat C15 or C16 with 6NZ or 7CZ prefix, no MBN or ACERT engines.
Cat 3406E with 1LW, 2WS and I don't recall the 15.8L prefixes right now.
Cat 3406C and B mechanical engines, not the epic fail PEEC

Cummins B series mechanical 3.9, 5.9
Cummins ISB 3.9 5.9

IH DT466

John Deere 7.6, 8.1 and 12.5L

N14 Cummins

As much as it kills me to say this the series 60 Detroit.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:28:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Hell yes.  

I had one in an '85 359 with 3.55s and a 15-over.  

I should have kept it around just to have a spare vehicle while my new shit was in the shop.
View Quote

I've got one in a 90 Pete with a 15 over, both fuel screws backed out 6 turns and a big daddy turbo, it runs nice lol
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 2:46:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

User name is appropriate. "B model" "4 1/4"? Sounds like trucker-speak. Do you even know the actual engine model? I do but, IMO, identifying an engine by horsepower is ignorant and not very informative.

CAT/Caterpillar 3406B, 893 cubic inch, 14.6 liter. Late '80's. Last of the mechanical injection 3406's. Produced in a wide ranges of HP's. I have a low-mileage 310HP 3406B in the yard at present.

Side note: I had '99ish 2WS 3406E out of a truck that had an electrical fire. I had a remnant of the ID tag with the serial number but a customer wanted verification that it was actually a 2WS. He told me where to look on the engine block and I found the serial number, marked by hand with a pencil etcher. I mentally pictured a Cat employee at the end of the line hand-etching serial numbers as the last thing before the engines are shipped. I've also seen hand-etched numbers on Cat connecting rods. Just seemed to be a nice touch in today's automated world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
B model 4 1/4 CAT.

Well, I stand humbled by your very presence and awestruck by your unequaled knowledge of the engine in question.

It is good that you saw fit to quote WIKI and every other web entry regarding my selection for best engine since nobody could have possibly correctly known what I was speaking of by my crude and vulgar description.

You did mention one of the main criteria for choosing the 3406B , namely the fact that it is the last of the mechanically injected 3406's.

I chose that particular engine precisely due to the fact that even a poor dumb hillbilly like me can usually find a way to keep an old school  engine running in most instances which keeps me from the need to rely on some big feelin, surly, computer jockey that'll spout a line of bullshit and likely charge me triple what it should cost as he throws parts at the engine in hope of getting lucky prior to my wallet being completely emptied.

Yeah, I wouldn't get along with a cocksucker like that for long because you see, I'm just some dumb, I ain't plumb dumb.

And I got your user name danglin.  

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

CAT C15 6NZ.

View Quote

Little known fact to most Cummins fans...nearly all of the components for the lighter duty (pickup) engines are sourced out of India.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 2:53:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Mercedes diesels run forever with good maintenance.

As mentioned, Ford & Cummins do well on the pick-up level.

Not sure where a Volvo diesel might be found in something but they're known for longevity.

Detroit Diesels used to be swapped in to GMC trucks & did well as they're two-strokes, turbo'd AND supercharged (in some models). I don't think they were ever OEM issue in pick-ups though.

My .o2
View Quote

Mercedes 300D was the first thing I thought of, followed by the Cummins 5.9L. Ford's 7.3L was good, but did require a bit of extra maintenance, such as the cooling system additive.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 2:57:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Some guy I surf fish with has an isuzu diesel he transplanted out of a 1980's Trooper into his old wrangler, damm thing has close to 500k miles in it & it won't die, just keeps chugging away.
View Quote

In 1985, the Ford Ranger was offered with an Isuzu diesel engine, but I believe it was available for that year only.

Sad really, considering how reliable that little truck was.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Little known fact to most Cummins fans...nearly all of the components for the lighter duty (pickup) engines are sourced out of India.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CAT C15 6NZ.

I know they were sand casting 5.9 blocks for Dodge pickups in Monterrey MX.  

I had one. It cracked.  It was junk just like everything else on the truck.

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CAT C15 6NZ.

I’m not a Cummins fan at all. Even though most of my fleet is now Cummins.

They told my father to get fucked over our M11s with cam shaft issues.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Saltillo is a huge engine plant for Chrysler
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What manufacturer produces the best diesel engine. "BEST" means most reliable , longest lasting, ease of maintenance , etc.  VS ( and not interested in ) highest HP, easiest to modify/tune , ultimate performance  etc.

Don't care about vehicle type / platform. Car, SUV, truck..... doesn't matter. Don't care about high tech features , fancy interiors , etc. Just who puts the best diesel engine in their product to get from point A to point B reliably  with as little fuss or concerns as possible.

View Quote
Probably Wabtec (formerly GE Ground Transport), Progress Rail (EMD), maybe some large marine engine like on a  cargo ship or tanker, I know MANN makes some of those.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'm not a Cummins fan at all. Even though most of my fleet is now Cummins.

View Quote

We had a batch of Cummins with bad liners.  Cavitation and resulting oil consumption of a gallon a day.  Then the resulting DPF clogging and regen issues.  In-frames at 250,000 on some trucks.

Cummins basically said, "sucks to be you".

All of our new trucks (500 ordered) are PACCAR.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 4:08:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

The 53 block known for cracking was cast in Brazil.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

We had a batch of Cummins with bad liners.  Cavitation and resulting oil consumption of a gallon a day.  Then the resulting DPF clogging and regen issues.  In-frames at 250,000 on some trucks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not a Cummins fan at all. Even though most of my fleet is now Cummins.

Yeah I don’t have anything particularly good to say about Cummins customer service.

I have a truck down right now.  Dealership can’t diagnose it. Under warranty. Waiting for a Cummins “field engineer” to come and diagnose it.

Basically “sucks to be you” as they won’t give me an eta on when the truck will be looked at.  Been going on 6 weeks now.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 4:38:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Perkins
View Quote

Perkins has been owned by Cat for a while now.  I even saw them making "Perkins" engines on the same line as C15 series engines.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 5:21:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

In 1985, the Ford Ranger was offered with an Isuzu diesel engine, but I believe it was available for that year only.

Sad really, considering how reliable that little truck was.
View Quote

Diesel engines were offered as an option on the Ford Ranger from 1983 to 1987, with the 1983 and 1984 models being a Mazda 2.2 liter normally aspirated four cylinder diesel (which was a Perkins industrial engine that Mazda was making under license), and the remaining years being a Mitsubishi 2.3 liter four cylinder turbodiesel.

The Mazda engine was heavy, didn't make a lot of power (only 59 hp), but was simple and reliable.  It used a transmission made just for that engine, and Ford only offered a 4 speed, while Mazda offered the engine in their B2200 pickup with a 5 speed (or five speeds until the fifth gear went out due to issues with the oil system not keeping that one gear properly lubricated).  Ford also made the diesel engine part of a package, so you had to also have air conditioning, power steering, power brakes, etc, to add even more weight under the hood and rob more power from the engine.  Mazda was a little more flexible on their options.

The Mitsubishi engine had more power (86 hp), but was known to have some issues with the coolant system.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/157991/9B6D8840-C553-4273-86DE-BCF2D19C0299_jpe-1824448.JPG

But CAT 3406b, and 2wS and 6nZ C15s are also the bee’s knees. They’ll just cost you a shit ton more to fix when they finally do break something.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Detroit Series 60?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/157991/9B6D8840-C553-4273-86DE-BCF2D19C0299_jpe-1824448.JPG

Love me some DDEC II and DDEC III. They just run and run with so very little drama.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 7:19:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CAT C15 6NZ.

M11 was a pile. Always have been always will be.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top