User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 2:06:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If I see him doing it again I'm going to tell people this word for word.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe he lost some super valuable piece of jewelry while planting that watermelon patch and traced every store that purchased them, after spending days going over the field with his metal detector and now, here he is...banned from several grocery chains for the metal detector usage, and forced to resort to his ancestral ways to find that goddamned Patek Grand Complications Celestial.

He curses marrying into money and tries to hide his shame by shooting disgusted faces at onlookers like yourself, knowing you'll probably snicker and take video that you upload and laugh with about with your Tik Tok friends. Even the Chinese government workers watching the TikTok users will probably get a laugh.

But, they don't know. You don't Know. You'd never believe him if he told you, so he just gets on with his work, one fucking pallet at time; Relax...don't tense up. It's just another stupid grocery store; it's gotta be in one of these...

Or he was just a redneck

If I see him doing it again I'm going to tell people this word for word.

Lol.
Please do
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You guys dug up utilities after watching the locate guy using ONLY dowsing rods?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know how these threads go.  That being said, we had a guy from dig safe come out and use a dousing rod and he was dead on where he marked them.  Not sure if he forgot his real tools as it was an emergency.  Not the first time I've seen it from the dig safe rep either.
You guys dug up utilities after watching the locate guy using ONLY dowsing rods?

We were digging by hand anyway so it didn't matter.  Replacing poles with risers have to be hand dug unless you're a crazy person.  Both times I've seen rods used were off hours emergency calls on struck/broken poles.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 2:31:32 PM EDT
[#3]
There is an old guy here that does it for water.

He finds a $100 bill every time.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Who do you work for?  I'm fairly certain the OCC will take a very dim view of this, should they observe it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use them all the time digging utilities. I also have a Dynatel 2273 locator, sometimes its easier to grab my witching rods off my truck then to go find a place to hook up my transmitter. I don't know about water or watermelon but they can find the poles on a cut trench underground. I can even get an approximate depth.
Who do you work for?  I'm fairly certain the OCC will take a very dim view of this, should they observe it.

ya gonna rat him out?
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Water and sewer guys use rods. you think tracer wires are on all them old lines?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there an ASTM standard for dowsing?

When you call 811 do they break out the rods?

The answer to both is no for a reason.

Water and sewer guys use rods. you think tracer wires are on all them old lines?

Where is this?  The One Call guys around here would probably be fired if they were caught doing that nonsense.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 3:06:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No professional locators use them. There’s a reason for that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well ok. I guess I don't have a clue what im talking about.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 3:10:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

ya gonna rat him out?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use them all the time digging utilities. I also have a Dynatel 2273 locator, sometimes its easier to grab my witching rods off my truck then to go find a place to hook up my transmitter. I don't know about water or watermelon but they can find the poles on a cut trench underground. I can even get an approximate depth.

ya gonna rat him out?

lol yeah good luck with that. like I would even care. OCC can't do shit about me trying to find my facility with a witching rod.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 3:22:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Along the lines of "what do you call alternative medicine that works?"
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m not following you.

All I’m saying is that they don’t work in a repeatable quantifiable way. If they did there would be an accepted standard for their use. There isn’t.

Just because 60% of the time it works every time doesn't mean it works.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Statistically that's probably better than most modern medical treatments
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 3:51:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not really. It’s usually some old cooter that is working his dowsing rods in an area where the water table is 3’ below ground and everyone is amazed at his abilities to find water. ??
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 4:07:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Shit, cant find the Witcher report from awhile back but it was awesome.  Guy paid like $20k to have a guy come out and mark spots for 6 wells on a 200 acres property.

Witcher came out marked a bunch of spots and wrote a report that said something like

Spot A - 287’ to 311’ / 126 gal / min
Spot B - 152’ to 187’ / 56 gal / min
Spot C - 312’ to 326’ / 94 gal / min……..

And on and on..

Also had the property owner grade drill pads perfectly level so we would drill straight holes. (Our rigs have hydraulic jacks for leveling)

All the wells we drilled made water from 350’ to 400’ and made ~ 50 gal / min.

Customer could have known that by looking at the state water well map that lists all the wells in the area for free. (Most states have this)
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I used bent welding rods to locate a septic tank. Granted I knew the general location within about 50'. But it did save me some digging.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 4:59:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Shit, cant find the Witcher report from awhile back but it was awesome.  Guy paid like $20k to have a guy come out and mark spots for 6 wells on a 200 acres property.

Witcher came out marked a bunch of spots and wrote a report that said something like

Spot A - 287’ to 311’ / 126 gal / min
Spot B - 152’ to 187’ / 56 gal / min
Spot C - 312’ to 326’ / 94 gal / min……..

And on and on..

Also had the property owner grade drill pads perfectly level so we would drill straight holes. (Our rigs have hydraulic jacks for leveling)

All the wells we drilled made water from 350’ to 400’ and made ~ 50 gal / min.

Customer could have known that by looking at the state water well map that lists all the wells in the area for free. (Most states have this)
View Quote

@NwG
What map are you using? I'm trying to find information on our well that was drilled in about 2001. It doesn't show on any maps that I find. In Erath county if that makes a difference.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

@NwG
What map are you using? I'm trying to find information on our well that was drilled in about 2001. It doesn't show on any maps that I find. In Erath county if that makes a difference.
View Quote

https://www3.twdb.texas.gov/apps/WaterDataInteractive/GroundwaterDataViewer/?map=sdr

https://tceq.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=aed10178f0434f2781daff19eb326fe2

If you can’t find your well, you can get a pretty good idea of what’s down there by looking at other close by wells.

Let me know if you have any questions about what stuff means.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#16]
not too many years ago there were lots of ads for dowsing stuff in metal detector magazines.  If you really laid out some $ you could get ones with a small chamber that you put a sample of what you were looking for in and then you could pass them over a map of the area you were interested in and it would show you on the map where to dig.  It cost money to place the ads(some were pretty big with pictures and all) so they must have found some suckers.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 8:33:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Lots of fence pipe is used drill pipe.

Drill pipe gets highly magnetized when rotating down hole in earth's magnetic field..

So much so that we can stick hand tools like wrenches to it.
View Quote
And if you don't take precautions, it's basically impossible to weld with any real integrity.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 8:35:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

ya gonna rat him out?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ya gonna rat him out?
Of course not.  Just making sure he's not around any project I'll ever be.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 8:41:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I did this with coat hangers when we were drilling a well. Me and the guy working with me got the same results in multiple spots. My helper's son stopped by and we used him for a blind test, he hit the same spots we did not knowing our results. We hit good water at 70 feet.

I think there is something to this.
View Quote

There isn't.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you think dowsing rods work... well... then no, you don't.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
And if you don't take precautions, it's basically impossible to weld with any real integrity.
View Quote

Dude.. watched arcs wander so bad I wasn’t sure I knew how to weld anymore.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:45:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Dude.. watched arcs wander so bad I wasn't sure I knew how to weld anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude.. watched arcs wander so bad I wasn't sure I knew how to weld anymore.
Lol, the puddle will just straight up reject the filler.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Dowsing is bullshit. If you can prove it works, then step up and prove it.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top