Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/4/2021 9:01:01 AM EDT
I was visiting family and decided to check out their local FFL. They had a deal on 42 round mags from ProMag, so I was going to buy several, but then the MagPul D-60 on the top shelf caught my eye.

For an additional 18 rounds it seemed like the extra $111 might not be worth it, but...

Attachment Attached File

But I also grabbed a couple of the ProMags just to be safe
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:03:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Friends don't let friends buy promags.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:04:04 AM EDT
[#2]
i think they're impractical but whatever floats your boat
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:05:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice rifle!!!
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:05:18 AM EDT
[#4]
They are heavy giant pain in the asses. I'd rather tote around multiple 30's. That is unless you just have money to burn and want a cool toy that will become a banned item eventually.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:05:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Jeeez man. One has a proven track record which in regards to quality usually cost more. One is not.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are heavy giant pain in the asses. I'd rather tote around multiple 30's. That is unless you just have money to burn and want a cool toy that will become a banned item eventually.
View Quote

I call mine the "Big Dogs".

Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:06:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I mean if they get the axe so will the 30s so thats not a good argument

However I do agree the weight and generally size is a good complaint. However those D60s are much more svelte than the Cmag Ive used
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:07:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

A wise shooter will go on with their lives as if that brand does not exist.

I'd buy a MagPul just to have, though.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:07:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought one once years ago, around 06-07. I loaded it and fired it exactly once, and it has sat in my box of stupid range toys ever since.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:08:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Got a postie or AR MG that you can smoke an upper with?  Sure...  Otherwise drums are too awkward to live with...
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:09:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Please
Remember
Our
Magazines
Are
Garbage
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:09:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Promags are trash.

Everyone should have a drum.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:10:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I mean if they get the axe so will the 30s so thats not a good argument

However I do agree the weight and generally size is a good complaint. However those D60s are much more svelte than the Cmag Ive used
View Quote

The only time they become useful is if you have a fun switch. I've had more issues with them than any other mags out there as well. What I was referring too about them being banned, is to get one if you fancy it before it happens.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:10:43 AM EDT
[#14]
The C-mag I had was not practical.
I sold it.

Decided multiple 30 rounders made more sense.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:11:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Drum mag should be in everyones SHTF stash.

In before my thumbs crew.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:14:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Promags are trash.

Everyone should have a drum.
View Quote

Yes, and yes.  D-60 all the things, I love 'em.

$99 at Arms Unlimited: https://www.armsunlimited.com/Magpul-PMAG-60-Round-223-556-AR15-M4-Drum-Magazine-p/mag576.htm

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:14:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I prefer to think the heavier more rounds option is great for around the house as I am a bug in type. Also think it’s not a bad option for a break contact scenario where I am trying to get the fuck out with less time for reloads.

I’m guessing you are a bug out kind of guy where weight is a greater concern. Or forced marches. I don’t participate in forced marches. Maybe hunting or hiking in the highlands?
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was visiting family and decided to check out their local FFL. They had a deal on 42 round mags from ProMag, so I was going to buy several, but then the MagPul D-60 on the top shelf caught my eye.

For an additional 18 rounds it seemed like the extra $111 might not be worth it, but...

https://i.gifer.com/5HMb.gif
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/524676/D0626960-1771-4635-9DF6-6824AB5652B0_jpe-2039194.JPG

View Quote

I've used the ProMag Glock 19 drum mag without a single FFT. The cheap Korean steel AK magazines are shit and gank up every few rounds, no matter how carefully you load them

I might try a ProMag AK drum if I ever find one.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:15:03 AM EDT
[#19]
They are fun when combined with a RareBreed.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:16:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The C-mag I had was not practical.
I sold it.

Decided multiple 30 rounders made more sense.
View Quote

Dollar for dollar, absolutely.

For fun factor alone it's worth it to splurge on just one D60 though. Especially if its on sale.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:16:18 AM EDT
[#21]

You are the member who turned me onto to them.  IIRC, you gave me a link with a good sale going on also.

Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:17:33 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't think so, no
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:17:55 AM EDT
[#23]
I was genuinely unaware of ProMag’s reputation till now. I got this rifle during the Plandemic and mags were in very short supply at the time. The bulk of mine are Duramag.

Is ProMag at least typically better quality than Duramag or did I really scrape the bottom of the barrel here? I figured the Made in the US and lifetime warranty at least gave them some credibility...
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:19:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

#IWantSuperThumbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N_Hl0ga_P8

I have no idea why that won't embed.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:20:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Came here to post this
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:20:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Glad you got the D60, now sell or give away your pro mags.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#27]
No dawg!
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:22:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I was genuinely unaware of ProMag’s reputation till now. I got this rifle during the Plandemic and mags were in very short supply at the time. The bulk of mine are Duramag.

Is ProMag at least typically better quality than Duramag or did I really scrape the bottom of the barrel here? I figured the Made in the US and lifetime warranty at least gave them some credibility...
View Quote

Pro mags are really that bad. I would never trust my life to one, period.

Buy magpul, okay, lancer or D&H.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:23:19 AM EDT
[#29]
The exorbitant cost, versus capacity, made shitloads of 30 round mags more practical.

Magazines are basically disposable items.

It is easier on my soul to discard a $10 mag of 30 than a $100 mag of 60.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:26:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

https://i.gifer.com/5HMb.gif
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/524676/D0626960-1771-4635-9DF6-6824AB5652B0_jpe-2039194.JPG

View Quote

Thanks for the reminder,  I need to order one this week.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:28:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Disregard Promag. Obtain at least one Magpul D60 to satisfy the curiosity.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Avoid Pro-Mag products. They are crap.

The PMAG D-60 is good to go.

Is it “worth it”? Well, from a economic consideration, probably not. You can buy about ten 30 round PMAGs for the cost of one 60 round drum. Or, you could buy five 40 round PMAGs for about the same price. The D-60 is kinda a pain in the ass to load.

However, if you are judging the D-60 purely from Dollars & Cents, you are missing the point;

1) It actually WORKS (unlike many drum mags)
2) It’s kinda badass, especially when pared with a ridiculously small AR.
3) For shooting prone “slung-in” it keeps you from have in to break your NPOA for a mag swap so soon.
4) For full-auto guns, binary triggers and such it extends that happy moment.
5) The chicks dig-it

Would I buy a bunch of them and run them exclusively? No, but I have three if them for the reasons above.

Did I mention THEY WORK
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#33]
$111 more than the promag? Hope the promags were $1 piece. D60s are usually $100.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:35:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Jeeez man. One has a proven track record which in regards to quality usually cost more. One is not.
View Quote

Technically they both have a proven track record, one is just proven to be shit.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:36:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

The word "safe" was never associated with any ProMag product.  Not safe to buy, use, store, look at, nothing.

The only safe thing to do is throw that shit away.

Friends don't let friends buy ProMag anything.

Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.  Do NOT want.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Technically they both have a proven track record, one is just proven to be shit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Touche’
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The exorbitant cost, versus capacity, made shitloads of 30 round mags more practical.

Magazines are basically disposable items.

It is easier on my soul to discard a $10 mag of 30 than a $100 mag of 60.
View Quote

I love this argument.  “Just get a bunch of 30 rounders instead”.  No shit, if you have no mags you’d be better off with 10 30s instead of 1 D60.  Also, the sky is blue.

I already had a metric fuck ton of 30s.  And 40s.  And 20s.

The D60s have been more reliable than any other drum I’ve ever shot (though I still keep a few 75 round drums because the RPK deserves drum magic too). If you’re like most of us and already have a bunch of (non Promag) 30s, a D60 adds something another stack of 30s doesn’t.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, RIP.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:49:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Pro mags are really that bad. I would never trust my life to one, period.

Buy magpul, okay, lancer or D&H.
View Quote

They're good for practicing malfunction clearing drills on the range
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:50:44 AM EDT
[#41]
I have 1 promag. It's for my Glock 17.  Don't listen to the haters, it's great for what it is.  When I go to the range I want to have a chance to practice clearing stoppages, and that's where the promag just out performs all other mags (in a failure to perform sort of way).  I can count on at least 1, usually 3 or more failures of some type when I load that thing in.  Now, don't keep it loaded, because the lips are soft and flexible.  I learned that lesson when the temperatures got up over 100 here.  It sort of let a round jump out, and another almost escaped.  Silly magazine!  

Anyway, if you want to become a master of quickly clearing a double feed, a promag in your range bag is the way to go!  It's a training tool like no other, and belongs in your RANGE BAG.  If you do decide to use one for defensive or offensive work, make sure your will is up to date.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:51:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Uh, mags were literally the only thing that never sold out this past year.

Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://media.giphy.com/media/hEc4k5pN17GZq/giphy.gif
View Quote

Yeah I even panic bought some just cause they were still the same price.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
They are fun when combined with a RareBreed.
View Quote
Listen to the Admiral.  That's why he's an Admiral.

Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:57:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My LGS still says there is a Glock shortage, but they will sell me their G19 that was just impossible to get for $659.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 10:03:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

My LGS still says there is a Glock shortage, but they will sell me their G19 that was just impossible to get for $659.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems legit, gun store sellers would never lie.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guilty, LOL I panic bought some AK top loading drums too just in case. I hate that I paid double what they were 4 years ago though.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is nice to have options. If reliable, I could see the need for someone that had to worry about an ambush.

Link Posted: 8/4/2021 10:11:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I want to build a poor mans ARPK-15 (RPKish AR-15) to make use of my drums.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#50]
I have had a Chinese one for my AK for almost 20 years and have never loaded a round in it.  I have a Magpul for my AR for a year now and never loaded a round in it.  I use the shit out of the cheap Korean one for my Ruger carbine.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top