Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:09:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw it in IMAX last night. It was the largest crowd I have seen in the theater since pre-COVID, for a Monday night, with 3 screens in the theater showing Dune part 2, it was a good-sized audience.

I read all the books in 1982, and while I have forgotten a lot of the back story and details, and know that they're not exactly faithful to every detail in them, it didn't matter.

My oldest son is a huge LoTR fan, and I said that one reviewer said it was like "Space GOT" and I felt that wasn't quite close, it is more "Interstellar GOT". It is as good or better than Empire Strikes Back, or The Two Towers.

It is a fantastic movie, and I will go see it again in IMAX.

Some of the scenes are unbelievably emotional and powerful, and combined with the cinematography and sound, just amazing.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:07:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks!  I'm aware of most of what you wrote already, but always good to summarize and refresh it.  Agreed that the whole Maker -> Spice -> Worm cycle would've been very long and complicated to show, and people still wouldn't have grasped the fragility of the whole system and Paul's threat to poison the cycle.

Is Kaitan mentioned in Dune---I don't remember that at all in the book---or is this something that gets explained in later books?
View Quote

The word Kaitan does not appear in the 1965 Dune.

Which I’m currently rereading on my kindle.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The name Secundus implies that there is a Salusa Prime out there someplace.

Given what a mess Salusa Secundus was I bet Salusa Prime was a real nightmare.
View Quote

Not necessarily.

Earth could be considered Sol Tertium.

Mercury would be Sol Prime.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Is this some sort of Star Wars spin off?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:13:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is this some sort of Star Wars spin off?
View Quote

LOL

Lucas ripped off Dune, not the other way around.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:15:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

LOL

Lucas ripped off Dune, not the other way around.
View Quote

I see.  I hadn't heard of Dune before until this thread.  I am not a fan of the star wars movies, so I probably will pass on this one too.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Just finished downloading and watching it. Not that good honestly. I am a big sci fi guy but I never even heard of dune before part 1 came out, so that may be why I did not find this movie nor part1 enjoyable.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#8]
They definitely focused on politics and intrigue heavily than the spiritual / Mystical aspects of the books. There really wasn't a whole lot that showed Paul gained anything in the way of powers, other than a really good use of the "voice"

I was somewhat disappointed in that. They really should have had him do more than simply shut the Reverend Mother up with the voice. They also played down the potential of destroying spice production.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:21:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I see.  I hadn't heard of Dune before until this thread.  I am not a fan of the star wars movies, so I probably will pass on this one too.
View Quote

Dune was published in 1965. Star Wars came out in 1977.

To be fair, all IP borrows from others. I think Frank Herbert got a lot of inspirations from The Foundation series.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am a big sci fi guy but I never even heard of dune before part 1 came out,
View Quote

Massive contradiction.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Massive contradiction.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am a big sci fi guy but I never even heard of dune before part 1 came out,

Massive contradiction.

When I was a kid in the 70's, Herbert, Tolkien, Asimov were Sci-fi
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:49:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#13]

front edge lifting the worm scale makes no sense

the 1984 method of back edge lifting was better

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I really enjoyed it and thought it was outstanding! I love some of the revelations that were revealed but weren't mentioned in the 1984 version. I saw it in the Dolby Cinema at AMC and it looked and sounded amazing.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 7:11:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Ok, I got the first 3 books of the Dune series yesterday. Dune, Children of Dune and Dune Messiah. Started reading Dune, got about 100 pages in last night, up to when the Atradies first arrive on Dune.

Maybe because I already saw the first two movies, but this may be an instance where the movies are better than the book. Herbert included every random thought each character has, it's very wordy . Part of it is I already know what's going to happen maybe, IDK? Going to slog through it though.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 11:13:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Part of it is I already know what's going to happen maybe, IDK? Going to slog through it though.
View Quote

Lisan Al-Gaib! Mahdi!
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 11:16:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am a big sci fi guy but I never even heard of dune before part 1 came out...
View Quote
That's like saying you're a big fantasy guy, but you've never heard of The Lord of the Rings.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#18]
my wife liked it a lot.  

it’s disappointing that she did not like Spaceman though.  I’m happy to say my 16 yo boy liked it.   His attention was on the screen the whole time.

Dune1 was best I’ve seen in recent years and the only movie ive rewatched 2-3 times.  the ornithopter instrument panel was captivating, As was paul’s fight scene and general demeanor.  

I watched the ‘84 Dune with my wife the other day before she saw dune2 in imax.

her being born in 77, I think made the movie boring for her,  but i revelled in her disgust of the floating fatman Baron Harkonen.

Harkonen in dune 1 was a couple notches  down on the cringe level but decently sinister in a similar fashion to Col Kurtz.  

(I’m gonna make fatman floating suit sound effects while hovering around her tv chair in the future,  maybe lick her cheek and make the crazy harkonen laugh.)

Stilgar the fremen was great in both ‘84 and D1.  in ‘84  they looked at eachother a bit too much when worm riding together….  back then I was not thinking “they’re gonna kiss any second” like i thought watching it last week.   thanks fucking hollywood for your decent into depravity!

its fun to compare the films!

I have not seen D2 yet.  

I look forward to the ornithopter,  paul’s triumphs,  seeing more of the fremen,  the mesmerizing scenery and music….

and please gimme one Dune tiddie!!  i know, i know,   prolly aint gonna happen.

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:26:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Dune: Part Two - Spoiler Review

This dude is real good. He explains very convincingly why some of the changes were made and the logic behind it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

To be fair, all IP borrows from others. I think Frank Herbert got a lot of inspirations from The Foundation series.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Frank Herbert was partly inspired to write Dune by The Seven Pillars of Wisdom by TE Lawrence AKA Lawrence of Arabia.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:28:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They definitely focused on politics and intrigue heavily than the spiritual / Mystical aspects of the books. There really wasn't a whole lot that showed Paul gained anything in the way of powers, other than a really good use of the "voice"

I was somewhat disappointed in that. They really should have had him do more than simply shut the Reverend Mother up with the voice. They also played down the potential of destroying spice production.
View Quote

@Happycynic had a great post here a few years ago, when hype for Dune 1 was building, about the very big themes in the work about male vs female roles, and why Girlbossing wouldn't make much sense.  Tagging in the hope he reposts it.

The whole point of the Kwisatz is to get someone who can look in the places the women can't.  And it's barely if at all touched on in the movie.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:36:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Was in the 3rd appendix in Dune.  Just a single entry.

SALUSA SECUNDUS: third planet of Gamma Waiping;
designated Imperial Prison Planet after removal of the Royal
Court to Kaitain. Salusa Secundus is homeworld of House
Corrino, and the second stopping point in migrations of the
Wandering Zensunni. Fremen tradition says they were slaves
on S.S. for nine generations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, the Emperor gets Sarduakr from Salusa Secundus. SS is a "hell world" and serves as the Emperor's personal prison planet. While the official line is that Sarduakar are nothing more than the Emperor's levies, obtained early and trained intensely, the actual truth is that the Sarduarkar come from the survivors of the prison planet. The Emperor's actual home planet and place is on Kaitan

Once Paul ascends the throne, he strips the Emperor of financial independence, and forcibly retires the Emperor to SS, his own prison planet, but makes it a soft and gentle world- cuts the Sarduarkar off at the knees with that move.

This whole "hell world makes soldiers" thing is the plot start of the book- the Atriedes are popular, but not wealthy. Leto, along w/ Gurney, Hawat, & Idaho, have trained up a small core of Sarduakar-equivalent troops. Being a popular aristocrat with really talented troops was seen as a threat by the Emperor- so a deal was worked out with the Harkonnens to give up Arrakis to the Atriedes, and then have the Harkonnens take out the Atriedes. Space travel is controlled by the Spacing Guild, and combat transport is super-duper-ultra expensive. Atriedes see the plan coming, and plan to recruit the Fremen to oppose the combined Harkonnen/Sarduakar force, but the Harks send a waaaay bigger force than the Atreides thought possible.

Paul & Jessica surviving was outside of any Imperial/Hark plans. In the Empire, the aristocrat's power must be combined to equal the power of the Emperor. The aristocrat's fear is the Emperor picking off any one of the herd, so the when the Sarduarkar and Harkonnen invade Arrakis to topple the Atreides, the Sarduakar are dressed as Harkonnen troops. Everything appears to work, except there at the end when Paul shows up with a Fremen army waaaay bigger than the Emperor or Harks thought possible, and by tossing in a bit of unconventional-for-the-book weapons, including nuclear explosions, projectile weapons, and the worms. Having bested the Harks & Sards in combat and with the power to destroy the spice (movie makes it the nukes, it's a little more clever in the book- but same outcome), Paul has both political ascendency and a level of control over the Guild. Jihad!

Thanks!  I'm aware of most of what you wrote already, but always good to summarize and refresh it.  Agreed that the whole Maker -> Spice -> Worm cycle would've been very long and complicated to show, and people still wouldn't have grasped the fragility of the whole system and Paul's threat to poison the cycle.

Is Kaitan mentioned in Dune---I don't remember that at all in the book---or is this something that gets explained in later books?

Was in the 3rd appendix in Dune.  Just a single entry.

SALUSA SECUNDUS: third planet of Gamma Waiping;
designated Imperial Prison Planet after removal of the Royal
Court to Kaitain. Salusa Secundus is homeworld of House
Corrino, and the second stopping point in migrations of the
Wandering Zensunni. Fremen tradition says they were slaves
on S.S. for nine generations.

Fantastic, thank you.  I imagine the removal plays a rather larger part during later books, lol.  I tapped out after GEOD.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
my wife liked it a lot.  

it’s disappointing that she did not like Spaceman though.  I’m happy to say my 16 yo boy liked it.   His attention was on the screen the whole time.

Dune1 was best I’ve seen in recent years and the only movie ive rewatched 2-3 times.  the ornithopter instrument panel was captivating, As was paul’s fight scene and general demeanor.  

I watched the ‘84 Dune with my wife the other day before she saw dune2 in imax.

her being born in 77, I think made the movie boring for her,
 but i revelled in her disgust of the floating fatman Baron Harkonen.

Harkonen in dune 1 was a couple notches  down on the cringe level but decently sinister in a similar fashion to Col Kurtz.  

(I’m gonna make fatman floating suit sound effects while hovering around her tv chair in the future,  maybe lick her cheek and make the crazy harkonen laugh.)
View Quote
How would the year of her birth make the movie boring?
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Saw it on Monday with my daughter and have to say it was pretty incredible on the IMAX screen. Really well done.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I saw it the other day (after watching part 1 on streaming.)  It was well done and entertaining.  I had not read the books/ seen the earlier movies so it took a bit to get all the characters straight.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I saw it yesterday and as already described, yes see it on the biggest screen you can.
I tried to not let the deviations from the books bother me, but they do somewhat.
And yes, Zendaya may be in better in other movie roles, but her gushy, doe-eyed lovey dovey then I'm mad and bad does not show much depth. She needs to work on it.
Austin Butler, this guy could be great.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 2:09:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That's like saying you're a big fantasy guy, but you've never heard of The Lord of the Rings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am a big sci fi guy but I never even heard of dune before part 1 came out...

What is that? Some religious thing?
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 2:09:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I saw it the other day (after watching part 1 on streaming.)  It was well done and entertaining.  I had not read the books/ seen the earlier movies so it took a bit to get all the characters straight.
View Quote

And this is why DV cut out some characters and condensing stuff like Harkonnen plots with the Baron vs Feyd into one scene instead of many. It's already a lot for general audiences to chew on.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I saw it yesterday and as already described, yes see it on the biggest screen you can.
I tried to not let the deviations from the books bother me, but they do somewhat.
And yes, Zendaya may be in better in other movie roles, but her gushy, doe-eyed lovey dovey then I'm mad and bad does not show much depth. She needs to work on it.
Austin Butler, this guy could be great.
View Quote

The way Butler was able to mimic the baron's tone but make it his own was impressive.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 4:00:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What is that? Some religious thing?
View Quote

One does not simply explain Lord of the Rings.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:58:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

@Happycynic had a great post here a few years ago, when hype for Dune 1 was building, about the very big themes in the work about male vs female roles, and why Girlbossing wouldn't make much sense.  Tagging in the hope he reposts it.

The whole point of the Kwisatz is to get someone who can look in the places the women can't.  And it's barely if at all touched on in the movie.
View Quote
Definitely want to touch on it, but haven't seen Part 2 yet due to work.  Avoiding this thread for spoilers.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:25:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

That was something the Dune Miniseries did well. Pauls power was incredible, especially in how he could move and fight.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:26:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3097/ADA806B4-85F2-40AA-98C4-114786BA04B2-3151136.jpg

front edge lifting the worm scale makes no sense

the 1984 method of back edge lifting was better

View Quote

If I recall, they were armored breathing holes in the new film.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 11:14:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 11:17:30 PM EDT
[#35]
I guess I'm the only person on the planet who hated it. Whispering, some camel music and sand, people whispering, something loud, camel whispering music, sand, a worm, camel music, somebody whispering.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 11:20:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I guess I'm the only person on the planet who hated it. Whispering, some camel music and sand, people whispering, something loud, camel whispering music, sand, a worm, camel music, somebody whispering.
View Quote

I didn’t hate it…though I certainly didn’t think that it lives up to all the hype and adulation that it is receiving.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 11:20:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
What is camel music?
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 11:23:09 PM EDT
[#38]
This is why you have to watch Dune in IMAX:

DUNE IMAX Footage | Standard VS. IMAX Comparison Side by Side
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 11:23:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

What is camel music?
View Quote

CAMEL BAND- The Great Unsung Heroes Of 70s Prog Rock
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#40]
The movie is aging like wine for me. The more I think about it, the better it gets.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Michael Bay more your speed?
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The movie is aging like wine for me. The more I think about it, the better it gets.
View Quote

I had a look on my face for the last several minutes that I haven't had since the end of Rogue One when the space battle started.

And I've had 2 chicks at the same time since then.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 4:13:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I had a look on my face for the last several minutes that I haven't had since the end of Rogue One when the space battle started.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 4:20:02 PM EDT
[#44]
I saw it in IMAX.

It’s was a masterpiece.

One of my favorite movie series.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 4:40:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

How is that possible?
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 4:44:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Massive contradiction.
View Quote

That’s like saying you’re a huge gun guy, but never heard of the AR-15. It’s not possible.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#47]
I've been looking for a new AV receiver and speakers that'll do justice to my 65” LG OLED 4K.  I can't wait to buy the boxed set.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 4:49:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Never read the book, did watch the 80s movie(was boring and slow and i dont remember much of it, was in jr high or high school in the early 90's when i watched it)

Just watched Part 1 Monday night then Part 2 in the theater at a co-worker event.

Thoroughly enjoyed both!!!  Cant wait for Part 3 now!
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top