Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 4/22/2020 3:33:15 PM EDT
This post is brought to you by CoronaBoredom.

I really don't like Cocker Spaniels. They're living breathing mops that just look stupid. Stupid dumb little shits that require haircuts. Dogs shouldn't require haircuts.

Saw one today being walked by an older guy and got to thinking - everyone I know that has one is older. They do not seem to be popular with younger generations.

Is the breed dying out in popularity?

And what other breeds don't seem to be popular anymore that once were?

Shepherds, the american urban hyena, labs, and -doodle (lol you have a stupid dog name) variants seem to be going strong.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Dobermans and Rottweilers don't seem to be as common anymore.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This post is brought to you by CoronaBoredom.

I really don't like Cocker Spaniels. They're living breathing mops that just look stupid. Stupid dumb little shits that require haircuts. Dogs shouldn't require haircuts.

Saw one today being walked by an older guy and got to thinking - everyone I know that has one is older. They do not seem to be popular with younger generations.

Is the breed dying out in popularity?

And what other breeds don't seem to be popular anymore that once were?

Shepherds, the american urban hyena, labs, and -doodle (lol you have a stupid dog name) variants seem to be going strong.

View Quote

I don't see many full size purebred poodles. Thankfully.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a female black mouth cur. Nobody knows what she is and seem perplexed by her. Dog places don't even have her breed in the system. I've met one other person with a  black mouth cur in the 4 years I have owned her.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:39:08 PM EDT
[#4]
We had a cocker spaniel growing up.  He was a good buddy.

Seems like a ton of people now have Labs or Goldens.

Watching Magnum PI on prime with Zeus and Apollo.  Yeah, can’t remember the last time I saw a Doberman.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Texas and Louisiana is full of Curs. Good hog dogs
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:39:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

I’m the only person I know with an American Eskimo Dog.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:40:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Racing greyhounds are becoming scarcer now that more tracks are closing. The last remaining Alabama track just closed this week.

https://www.wvtm13.com/article/nearly-600-dogs-now-need-new-homes/32228836

There's an AKC greyhound but it's barely the same breed IMHO and doesn't have the same athleticism.

None of the adoption groups around here have had new hounds for a while. Good for the dogs I guess.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:41:12 PM EDT
[#8]
On the inverse side, I've been shocked by the explosion in popularity of the Vizsla.

I grew up with them. I do not think they are good dogs for the vast majority of people who own them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#9]
A girl I know in  her mid to late 20s has a cocker spaniel. Dumbest, most useless dog. If you pet it too much it urinates in excitement.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:42:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I've seen 1 Komondor in my 42yrs on this earth, and it was owned by a family member. Edit: They look, feel and smell exactly how you'd expect.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Dog breed popularity seems cyclical.

A certain dog appears in a movie or something, the breed explodes in popularity, and then it fades back into the masses.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Texas and Louisiana is full of Curs. Good hog dogs
View Quote

Maybe I will need to take her on a visit? She definitely is an oddity up here.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:42:39 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

I had one as a kid. Great dog.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:42:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nothing wrong with a full sized poodle.

the little ones can fuck off though.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

We had one growing up. I always called it an Eskimo Spitz. Great dog.

My school bus driver ran over him. Fuck that bitch.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:43:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Texas and Louisiana is full of Curs. Good hog dogs.
View Quote

Our Catahoula came from Louisiana.  Apparently there was a "shipment" of dogs from Louisiana to the Tampa area.  We got one from the Tampa Humane Society.

And yea, when asked and I tell people he's a Catahoula Leopard Dog and get the WT Actual F?! look.  haha
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:44:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Dog breed popularity seems cyclical.

A certain dog appears in a movie or something, the breed explodes in popularity, and then it fades back into the masses.

View Quote

Haven't seen Dalmatians in a while...
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
My grandmother bred dobermans in Germany, and I never knew it til I was in my 20s. Then one day she whipped out a photo album of all these show-quality dogs like "oh yeah I used to do this"

Agreed, both of those have lost favor. Those are '90s dogs. Both are great breeds.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Saint Bernards are cooling off. After the Beethoven movies they were way overbred. They are still around but not like 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've seen 1 Komondor in my 42yrs on this earth, and it was owned by a family member. Edit: They look, feel and smell exactly how you'd expect.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/258165/Komondor_jpg-1380943.JPG
View Quote

"Dogs of all shapes & sizes; some big, some small, some fat...some unlucky to have even been born!"

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Lots of dogs are now pit mixes, and you're a bad person if you don't rescue one from a shelter. So instead of researching a breed and finding a reputable breeder folks just go to a shelter.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
On the inverse side, I've been shocked by the explosion in popularity of the Vizsla.

I grew up with them. I do not think they are good dogs for the vast majority of people who own them.
View Quote

I have a buddy that had to 'reverse adopt' his Vizsla. Too high energy for him even though he had the real estate for one.

He threw out his arm a few times just playing catch with 'Hank' just trying to wear him out for the day.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m actually surprised by the lack of full size poodles.  They are great, smart dogs for the most part.  I think ppl believe you are required to get the stupid poodle cut all the time though.

Rotties are definitely in the downturn, but also good dogs if trained properly.

I agree with the cocker spaniel.  Worthless dogs.

I dont see many beagles around here either.  Used to be quite a few when I grew up.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:48:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

We had one growing up. I always called it an Eskimo Spitz. Great dog.

My school bus driver ran over him. Fuck that bitch.
View Quote

Mine was ran over as well. He was at my grandparents place in the country where fences were for cattle, not dogs. I watched him chase cars, like 1/2 of all country dogs. He wanted to play chicken with the front wheels instead of chasing them from behind like most dogs.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Why thankfully?
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#27]
don't see pointerpoodles much if at all... Will be my next dog. Poodle mix breed dogs are great.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:49:02 PM EDT
[#28]
I love cocker spaniels.   Slobbery little happy shaggy retarded, little fuckwits.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:49:11 PM EDT
[#29]
I haven't seen an Irish Setter in ages.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:49:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have a female black mouth cur. Nobody knows what she is and seem perplexed by her. Dog places don't even have her breed in the system. I've met one other person with a  black mouth cur in the 4 years I have owned her.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/335547/EC31B3E6-6BBD-41C9-A993-250A437F4D36-1204984.jpg
View Quote

Curs and heelers are the ubiquitous farm dog in Texas. I've got a BMC aka "yella dog" that showed up last summer. She's a damn good dog and smart as hell. The other one is a kelpie, but hardly anyone around here knows what that is. I just explain it's Australia's border collie, lol.

Hiding out from the storm in the game room, lol. They are hoping that mom doesn't see them on the carpet...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Pure breds in general seem to be declining.  Sad, because generations of work go into breeding specific, refined physical and mental capabilities.  I'm a breed snob.  Each breed exists for a reason.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Friend’s neighbor has one.  They live in a cookie cutter neighborhood with a postage stamp for a yard.  The dog barks all the fucking time and is always amped.  They never even take it for walks.  I feel sorry for the thing- it’s gotta be freaking out 24/7 without being able to work or run around.

Kinda like all the ppl with heelers who can’t figure out why the dogs are psycho.

Shitty owners, not shitty dogs.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:52:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:53:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Border Collies I think

I went looking for one because a girl friend wanted one.

Took me weeks and had to drive 4 hours to get the last one she had.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:53:27 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

I know someone with one.

They used to train them to perform in circuses, and I guess they would sell puppies after the show.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Seppala Siberian Sled dogs.  Similar to Siberian Huskies, they were first bred by Leonhard Seppala, the sled dog driver famous for his part in the 1925 serum run to Nome, AK to stop an outbreak of diphtheria.  His lead dog, Togo, was the origin of his breed.  Always bred as working dogs, not show dogs, there isn't much use for them now.  From what I understand, they aren't really ideal for the Iditarod race, and a lot of people just use snow machines.  It's a pretty cool connection to a famous time in Alaskan history, but it is dying out.

Seppala Kennels
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know of at least 3 in my little town.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Homeowner's insurance kinda took the fun out of those breeds.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/258165/Komondor_jpg-1380943.JPG
View Quote

You lie, that’s a mop.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#41]
American Fox Hound. I've seen 2 in my life and I have owned them bothAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I’m actually surprised by the lack of full size poodles.  They are great, smart dogs for the most part.  I think ppl believe you are required to get the stupid poodle cut all the time though.

I dont see many beagles around here either.  Used to be quite a few when I grew up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beagles are still heavily used by the medical research industry.

It's pretty messed up. They can only get used for one study. When that study is over, the dogs get a limited window to be adopted out before they are killed and their organs are harvested. The companies that do the work often don't work with rescue groups or the like, so it's pretty much on individual employees to sign the waivers, get the dogs out, and find them homes.

I have a survivor. I'm happy he's not dead, but adopting him hasn't been painless from a training and adaptation standpoint.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:57:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/335547/EC31B3E6-6BBD-41C9-A993-250A437F4D36-1204984.jpg
View Quote

Old Yeller
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#45]
My guy is still very popular, see Avatar.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#46]
I had springer spaniels growing up and one cocker spaniel. The male springer spaniels were all mean, they attacked everyone in my family and my dad only got rid of them once they attacked him.

I don’t see too many springer spaniels out there although the Ohio governor just got one.

These seem popular, Labs, rottweilers, corgis, dachshunds, golden retrievers, German shepherds, huskys, pugs. Big dog breeds seem popular also. I hear “purse dogs” are popular out in California. Old mean ladies seem to always have smaller mean dogs.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Scottish terrier.

Used to see them often when I was a kid.

Can't remember the last time I saw one.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:58:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Bull Terriers have been intentionally bred to weirdness.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:01:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

My first thought also. Would like to have a Doberman but I ain’t gettin’ any more dogs anytime soon. Three dogs and two teenagers is enough.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:02:03 PM EDT
[#50]
We had a couple Airedale’s when I was a kid, I haven’t seen one in 35-40 years.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top