Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 6/22/2022 12:23:06 PM EDT
We've learned the importance of ammo and tp forts, but is the hype about food shortages a concern to the average American? It seems like a pretty cheap investment, you can buy cheap and stack real deep today. Is tomorrow a concern?

ETA- looking for some decent 1 or 2 gallons mylar bags. PayPal payment method is a huge plus. I'm avoiding eBay because they suck.

ETA 2- My order from USA Emergency Supply arrived within a week of ordering. I ended up ordering some 1 gallon MYLAR bags and 1000cc O2 absorbers.

YouTube'd how to do it, than sealed them all up using my wife's hair straightener lol. Stood on a couple afterward to make sure they were sealed well. 100% success!

Fyi, I recommend the 1 gallon bags. Figure on 7 pounds of rice per gallon bag, ie 10 1 gallon bags will hold 70# of rice.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:23:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty irrelevant if your wife can’t cook.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:24:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Why?  When in the history of the US was anyone NOT be able to get food?

And you have 100,000 rounds of SS109?  OK, now what?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pretty irrelevant if your wife can’t cook.
View Quote

Crockpotting that is pretty easy.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:28:11 PM EDT
[#4]
A couple pails of wheat, rice, and beans is a good investment.  Prices are only going to increase this fall.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:29:29 PM EDT
[#5]
A rice and beans "fort" is never *not* important - but how immediately critical is it? IMO not very.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:36:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not sure if serious.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Not sure if serious.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure if serious.

He and everyone else saying shit like that are completely serious and completely delusional.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:38:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Rice is very empty of calories. Beans are much better. But, energy is needed to cool them.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

He and everyone else saying shit like that are completely serious and completely delusional.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure if serious.

And this is who you will be defending your food supply from. Desperate starving neighbors.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Don’t forget the canned tomatoes
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#12]
You'll need plenty of seasoning to go with the Beans and Rice.

Otherwise, talk about bland meals.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

this

so much this
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not sure if serious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure if serious.

Not an uncommon mentality. One that hasn't been thought through, nor researched. So, although completely ignorant and short sighted, it is a notion that is probably more popular than not.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't think the average American knows how to properly cook dried beans.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:00:08 PM EDT
[#16]
a high priority. why wouldn't you buy 90 days of food insurance for your family for 200 bucks?

being prepared is about balance over all aspects of life. if someone has credit card debt i'd rather see them tackle that than go out and spend money of long term food preps.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:00:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Rice is very empty of calories. Beans are much better. But, energy is needed to cool them.
View Quote

Lol. Half the world lives on rice. And I doubt you've eaten beans for very many meals in a row.

When combined with beans it makes a complete protein.

OP, include wheat berries, barley, oats, peas, several kinds of beans, corn, flour of corn and wheat, yeast, dry milk, salt, pepper, masa, a grain grinder, a means of cooking if you've no power and you'll have a start. Increase canned goods purchases when at the grocery. Learn pantry rotation and cooking.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:01:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Don't forget the canned tomatoes
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you dumb ignorant or did you just flunk out of school and not pay attention?

Have you ever heard of the Great Depression?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Meh. They're just glorified seasonings. Not very calorie-dense.

Of course, on week 132 of Build back Better Baked Beans, some seasoning might be nice.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

If your stuck with rice and beans only...the taste will not rank very on high on the "concern list."
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:05:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Charlie's idea of great R&R was cold rice and a little rat meat."

Rice and beans is pretty cheap insurance against starvation
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes...  And other stuff.  Rice will make you feel full and keep you from starving.  Ignore the Normalcy bias that comes from people that refuse to see what's right in front of them.  Those same people will be screaming for you to give up what you have so they can have something to eat when things get bad.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:07:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

If only there was some completely free, readily-available source of information for stuff like that...
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Not an uncommon mentality. One that hasn't been thought through, nor researched. So, although completely ignorant and short sighted, it is a notion that is probably more popular than not.
View Quote

Do you guys see us turning in a Venezuela or North Korea anytime soon?

Researched?  That's why I asked - when in the history of the US was a person not able to procure food for survival?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Are you dumb ignorant or did you just flunk out of school and not pay attention?

View Quote

Did anyone actually STARVE during the Depression?  When, in the history of the US did people have to rely on SURVIVAL caches for their meals?

I lived thru the LA fires, the big earthquake, the riots and all the grocery stores and restaurants stayed open.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:12:27 PM EDT
[#27]
How do you add flavor to rice and beans? Eaten them when I had to but they don’t taste all that great.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:14:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If your stuck with rice and beans only...the taste will not rank very on high on the "concern list."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You would think, but this is a misconception.  

Some people(few) can readily eat the same thing day in and day our.

More common is people get very calorie deficient when the available food pales on the palate. They decline in health and then illness starts setting in.

It is well documented. Variety,  even on occasion, makes a big difference. I forgot to mention sugar and fat in my previous post. Hard working, or stressed, or cold people will start to crave sugar and fat like nobody's business. Honey, turbinado sugar, and other long term stable sweets are worth their weight in gold
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#29]
I cannot stand rice.  Three different kinds of beans and corn meal is my prep in it's place.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
How do you add flavor to rice and beans? Eaten them when I had to but they don’t taste all that great.
View Quote

Salt pork and habaneros.

Right now I'm eating pinto beans, green peppers and onions in a taco shell.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:17:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

And this is who you will be defending your food supply from. Desperate starving neighbors.
View Quote

Please give the doomsday scenario where you're loading mags and I'm attacking your house for food?

Just jackoff prepper fantasy shit.

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:18:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

wrong terminology -- Rice is missing a lot of nutrients, it is mostly empty calories. But it is cheap, dense, and stores well.  

You complement it with the right varietal(s) of beans, plus vitamins/fat/protein.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:18:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Laughs in Southerner.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:18:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Maybe I’ll get to use my 100lbs of stored rice
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:18:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Researched?  That's why I asked - when in the history of the US was a person not able to procure food for survival?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. People have starved in the US. Various rationing during wars. Depression.

Think a little further. If food gets very expensive because of inflation or scarcity,  a well stocked pantry isn't just insurance against starving. It can reduce your grocery bill so you can more easily afford other things like gas.

Feel free to rely on the US government looking out for you. They have such a great track record.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:19:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You would think, but this is a misconception.  

Some people(few) can readily eat the same thing day in and day our.

More common is people get very calorie deficient when the available food pales on the palate. They decline in health and then illness starts setting in.

It is well documented. Variety,  even on occasion, makes a big difference. I forgot to mention sugar and fat in my previous post. Hard working, or stressed, or cold people will start to crave sugar and fat like nobody's business. Honey, turbinado sugar, and other long term stable sweets are worth their weight in gold
View Quote

In all seriousness - and I may have missed when this thread went from joking to serious - seasonings should be well-represented in any prepper stash. You can go to walmart and buy those $1 containers of various spices and for only a few bucks make the difference in quality of life as it relates to food palatability. We keep several different hot sauces, vinegar, garlic, and so on. Plus lots of salt. You can go spend $10 on a bag of salt at the feed store and never run out.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:19:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Laughs in Southerner.
View Quote

Ham hocks, baby.

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Please give the doomsday scenario where you're loading mags and I'm attacking your house for food?

Just jackoff prepper fantasy shit.

View Quote

Please don't confuse actual food prep with LARPing. I eat thru my preps and replace the stock level as needed,  Hurricaines don'cha know.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:22:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I cannot stand rice.  Three different kinds of beans and corn meal is my prep in it's place.
View Quote

Beans and cornbread is some damned fine eatin'.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:22:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Give me a sister, I can't resist her
Red beans and rice didn't miss her
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

The basics of cooking flavors: Salt, Acid, Sweet, Savory

This really should be taught to everyone as a basic principle of food, instead of just "Oh Mom ads X and Y so I will too", as it's biological science and easy to explain.

Add Salt, Pepper, Garlic, Onion to any carb (rice/beans are the carb here) or vegetable as a base seasoning.
Acid can come from vinegar, citrus fruits, tomatoes, etc.
Spicy and more herbs/seeds added in also depending on style, as well as animal protein flavors (meat, broth, bullion) and oils (olive, avocado, canola, butter) for texture/flavor/nutrition.

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Did anyone actually STARVE during the Depression?  When, in the history of the US did people have to rely on SURVIVAL caches for their meals?

I lived thru the LA fires, the big earthquake, the riots and all the grocery stores and restaurants stayed open.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of hungry people that were malnourished but data doesn't show an increase in starvation deaths. Actually some data suggests life expectancy increased during that period, improved sanitation and newer medicine played a role in that but not eating to excess probably did too.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Any fatty meat including varmints you can trap like coon and groundhog. Hog jowls. Bacon. Ham. Fish.

Veg like carrot, celery, etc.

Hot peppers, onion,  garlic. Sugar. Vinegar. Citrus. Ginger. Nutmeg. Clove.  (Some for just rice, some for both)

Serve on corn bread or tortillas etc.

Baked beans are a treat. Rice pudding is easily done out of the pantry.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Look at it this way; why is it a bad idea to keep 3-6 months of long term shelf stable food on hand?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:24:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
A couple pails of wheat, rice, and beans is a good investment.  Prices are only going to increase this fall.
View Quote

Agree and it's a cheap investment.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Ive been subtly slipping fattening foods to my neighbors in the disguise as gifts to plump them up a bit
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Of course, on week 132 of Build back Better Baked Beans, some seasoning might be nice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It balances out the vitamins and minerals otherwise missing from beans and rice
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:25:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The basics of cooking flavors: Salt, Acid, Sweet, Savory

This really should be taught to everyone as a basic principle of food, instead of just "Oh Mom ads X and Y so I will too", as it's biological science and easy to explain.

Add Salt, Pepper, Garlic, Onion to any carb (rice/beans are the carb here) or vegetable as a base seasoning.
Acid can come from vinegar, citrus fruits, tomatoes, etc.
Spicy and more herbs/seeds added in also depending on style.

View Quote

Adding to the acid part..

Vinegar based hot sauce is a great acid for flavor and keeps forever.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:26:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you live through the dust bowl? Or gold rush?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

They're best when canned out of your garden.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top