User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 5:24:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

During the Civil War my great great (?) grandparents almost starved to death.
View Quote

Before the war of northern aggression and yankee treason, people in the South grew peas as livestock fodder. Now we eat peas, a tradition that started during the war, because it was all we had left.

Don't discount the possibility of starving.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 5:27:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Before the war of northern aggression and yankee treason, people in the South grew peas as livestock fodder. Now we eat peas, a tradition that started during the war, because it was all we had left.

View Quote

In all seriousness, if I was gonna carb store, It would be peas (assuming they could store long term)
They taste much better than beans.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
They don't look fat N sassy to me.
View Quote

you, uh, realize that photo came from Russia, when the USA was trying to help send them food? After WW1 and their internal revolution.
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/famine/

Looks like they were so suspect of our help that they starved their people, which seems to be a oft repeated strategy of Russia/USSR
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 5:35:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

“War of Northern Aggression”

*eyeroll*

Cowpeas are for nitrogen fixation, and have been consumed for at least 5000 years.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Get the sealed pouches of bacon bits. Just like grandma used to add fatback or bacon for flavoring.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do you add flavor to rice and beans? Eaten them when I had to but they don’t taste all that great.

Get the sealed pouches of bacon bits. Just like grandma used to add fatback or bacon for flavoring.

And or BBQ sauce.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 5:58:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Compare and contrast, keeping in mind these children were selected by the Daily Mail as photogenic fatties. Extreme examples in either direction probably aren't a good reference, but I'd bet dollars to donuts the modern obesity epidemic fars outweighs (sorry) the Depression era malnutrition.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/457055/kids_jpeg-2428258.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Compare and contrast, keeping in mind these children were selected by the Daily Mail as photogenic fatties. Extreme examples in either direction probably aren't a good reference, but I'd bet dollars to donuts the modern obesity epidemic fars outweighs (sorry) the Depression era malnutrition.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/457055/kids_jpeg-2428258.JPG

Again the quote I posted was asking if people starved during the great depression, nothing at all about today's fat asses.

Look up the 4f rate of draftees in WW2 due to malnutrition. You can thank the great depression for that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What size?

4 Liters seems reasonable, that's a little over a gallon of volume.
Any reason to go 5L or larger?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also a recommendation for the 'Hawkins' brand of pressure cooker; makes cooking beans etc super fast. Get a spare o-ring. Good alternative to a slow cooker that works great also.

What size?

4 Liters seems reasonable, that's a little over a gallon of volume.
Any reason to go 5L or larger?

I use a couple of 1.5L versions (the smallest) for just rice or beans/peas as a side for one or two people, and a 3.5L for larger meals or sides for 4 people. I guess bigger is better but I love the handy size of the small ones. I also usually only cook one meal's worth of a given food at a time, rather than, say a ton of beans to last a week.

I prefer the stainless classic models as they can be put in the dishwasher, but also have an aluminum classic 1.5L which works great as a pressure cooker and saucepan when car camping, fits on a single burner coleman stove or a biolite camp stove.

So, yeap 4L is a great all-round size.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why?  When in the history of the US was anyone NOT be able to get food?

There is a reason why black eye peas and greens are a common New Years food in the south.  Edit …. Beat by arowneragain
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 6:43:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We've learned the importance of ammo and tp forts, but is the hype about food shortages a concern to the average American? It seems like a pretty cheap investment, you can buy cheap and stack real deep today. Is tomorrow a concern?

ETA- looking for some decent 1 or 2 gallons mylar bags. PayPal payment method is a huge plus. I'm avoiding eBay because they suck.
View Quote

ULINE has quality bags.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Again the quote I posted was asking if people starved during the great depression, nothing at all about today's fat asses.

Look up the 4f rate of draftees in WW2 due to malnutrition. You can thank the great depression for that.
View Quote

Unrelated but interesting...my dad was given permission by his parents to enlist in the USMC in 1943 at the age of 17. He was 6'1" and weighed about 157 pounds at the time, if memory serves. He told me the Marine recruiters kept bananas in the back to push recruits who were close but under into minimum acceptable standard...and there were large numbers of volunteers coming out of the NC mountains who didn't make weight. Apparently you can stuff down a lot of banana, and it's dense, very liquid weight.

I was rail thin in HS as well (I got better ), and it came up in conversation because I was pretty unhappy about it. He retired a LtCol, and while he was quite a story teller he wasn't the type to make things like that up out of whole cloth.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 10:21:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:17:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

@Eagle_19er

They do actually take PayPal, but before ordering I looked up reviews which seemed hit or miss. How have your experiences been?
View Quote

@Alnen123

I’ve ordered from them twice in the past year. Perfect both times.

Ordered a few times several years ago and perfect those times as well.

Sample size of one and all that…
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:41:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Do you guys see us turning in a Venezuela or North Korea anytime soon?

Researched?  That's why I asked - when in the history of the US was a person not able to procure food for survival?
View Quote

I still have a few living relatives that had to shoot fucking squirrels to eat.

A re-run of the Great Depression, with today's interconnected economies and supply chains, our political tensions, and the current jackasses at the helm... would not be fun.  Have you lived under a rock the last few years?  We're literally watching things slide that direction or worse right now.

A few hundred bucks for 2-3 months of food security is a no-brainer.   Buying it at todays prices - or having bought it at 2019 or 2020 prices - instead of 2023 or 2024 price is even MORE of a no brainer.

"Oh hey, I'll just have 3 weeks of food on hand because it's 2022 and everything looks fucking great, and I have NO REASON to expect that inflation is going to continue to suck donkey balls, or that the economy might crater."    Sounds pretty stupid when put like that, doesn't it?

We started getting serious about stacking deep and rotating stock around January 2020.   It has saved us a fuckton of money and seen us through one rather shitty localized diaster.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:55:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How do you guys store your rice and beans (and other foods, really) in a way that will keep them for long periods but also allow you to rotate through them? I’m loading up on food slowly but surely more to soften the blow of higher food prices later this year than to have a SHTF contingency plan.
View Quote

Use 5 gallon buckets, put the food in good quality mylar bags from usaemergency. The thicker the better. And use an oxygen absorber! No desiccants, they are ineffective. Plenty of info on Youtube.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:58:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Did anyone actually STARVE during the Depression?  When, in the history of the US did people have to rely on SURVIVAL caches for their meals?

I lived thru the LA fires, the big earthquake, the riots and all the grocery stores and restaurants stayed open.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you dumb ignorant or did you just flunk out of school and not pay attention?

Have you ever heard of the Great Depression?

Did anyone actually STARVE during the Depression?  When, in the history of the US did people have to rely on SURVIVAL caches for their meals?

I lived thru the LA fires, the big earthquake, the riots and all the grocery stores and restaurants stayed open.
People absolutely starved during the depression.

Should anybody starve in the US? No, not naturally, but we're not living in natural times.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 1:09:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm bagging flour, sugar, yeast, rice, beans, and spices as a hedge against short term disruptions in the supply chain.  I have no delusions of being able to ride out a year or two of famine on my rugged individual own.  We are also stocking up on canned foods.  

One thing that does interest me particularly is canning chicken.  I've never canned meats before.  Anything I need to take into consideration?
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 1:46:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Having insurance policies provides a safety net. We have them for our home, cars, lives, and other assorted valuables...why not have a small food insurance policy?
View Quote
It only works if there's food available to pay out.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 1:57:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Mine is sort of the opposite, lol. I think she's somewhat ok with food because we've got kids now, but it's still a struggle to convince her we need more than just a 5# bag of rice and a couple cans of tuna. Every little bit helps, but I think the bulk of it should be rice/beans with everything else added later as plusses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just had to have this discussion with my wife again. She's got a mental block with keeping stocks of food around the house.

I keep a full pantry, rotating through the stuff we use, but always keeping the shelves full. I have a cabinet that is nothing but spices and seasoning (and I'm always trying new hot sauces), Stocked, standup commercial grade freezer, and extra refrigerator in addition to what's in the kitchen, and no rice and bean fort (though I do probably have 20 lbs of each).

My wife understands everything else, from firewood, to backup power, to guns, ammo, and NODs, but for some reason having soli food stocks around the house just sets her off.

Mine is sort of the opposite, lol. I think she's somewhat ok with food because we've got kids now, but it's still a struggle to convince her we need more than just a 5# bag of rice and a couple cans of tuna. Every little bit helps, but I think the bulk of it should be rice/beans with everything else added later as plusses.
Why? If you've got room and money, get canned goods. We're close enough to the event these days, 20 year shelf life isn't that important.

Rice and beans are like wheat, they're long term staples for whenever everything else is gone.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 2:25:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I need some good mylar bags, but only have $ in PayPal at the moment. Anyone have some or know of a online store that takes PayPal for it?
View Quote
Discountmylarbags.com accepts PayPal
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 4:08:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm bagging flour, sugar, yeast, rice, beans, and spices as a hedge against short term disruptions in the supply chain.  I have no delusions of being able to ride out a year or two of famine on my rugged individual own.  We are also stocking up on canned foods.  

One thing that does interest me particularly is canning chicken.  I've never canned meats before.  Anything I need to take into consideration?
View Quote

Skip flour. Store wheat. It will last longer and flour can screw up your seal with mylar. Just fyi.
Also.
Elbow macaroni last l9ng and easy to store.
Lentils,split peas.
Think fast cooking items.
Coffee ( I store both whole bean,ground  and the Cafe bestello espresso).
Drink mixes, dried milk...
I don't think there isn't something I've tried mylaring up....even ammo.

I've canned alot just not chicken.
Dehydrated a ton of stuff though.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 4:28:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

And you have 100,000 rounds of SS109?  OK, now what?
View Quote

This is true.

Also, fun fact; While misery and despair were higher from 1929-1933, suicides increased, but life expectancy actually rose by 6 years. Guess the whole eating less/better, and fasting actually works.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 7:06:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Look at it this way; why is it a bad idea to keep 3-6 months of long term shelf stable food on hand?
View Quote

That's how I look at it. And it doesn't cost you anything if you use it and replace it before it's shelf life is over.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 7:17:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

@borat - the US Government literally killed off all but a few hundred American bison ?? to control the population.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 7:36:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Why? If you've got room and money, get canned goods. We're close enough to the event these days, 20 year shelf life isn't that important.

Rice and beans are like wheat, they're long term staples for whenever everything else is gone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just had to have this discussion with my wife again. She's got a mental block with keeping stocks of food around the house.

I keep a full pantry, rotating through the stuff we use, but always keeping the shelves full. I have a cabinet that is nothing but spices and seasoning (and I'm always trying new hot sauces), Stocked, standup commercial grade freezer, and extra refrigerator in addition to what's in the kitchen, and no rice and bean fort (though I do probably have 20 lbs of each).

My wife understands everything else, from firewood, to backup power, to guns, ammo, and NODs, but for some reason having soli food stocks around the house just sets her off.

Donno about the rest of you, but I eat out of my hard winter wheat every week:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 7:53:18 AM EDT
[#25]

Where do you buy yours?

I remember the prepackaged "superpails" used to be around $25 for a 5 gallon bucket...it appears those days are over as nobody seems to even sell it sealed in buckets now.

Lds is $40 for a case of 6 #10 cans rn...idk if I should bother trying to buy some locally from a feed store and have to worry about cleaning it myself and packing, or just be lazy and order some cans...I'm hoping there's a better option.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 8:12:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Where do you buy yours?

I remember the prepackaged "superpails" used to be around $25 for a 5 gallon bucket...it appears those days are over as nobody seems to even sell it sealed in buckets now.

Lds is $40 for a case of 6 #10 cans rn...idk if I should bother trying to buy some locally from a feed store and have to worry about cleaning it myself and packing, or just be lazy and order some cans...I'm hoping there's a better option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Where do you buy yours?

Amazon was selling Augason Farms 26# pails of the white winter wheat for $18 delivered back in 2020 and I bought 12 of those (should have bought 40!). I've also got about 10 cases of the LDS stuff back when those were ~$34 delivered.

The bagged stuff can be cheaper, but those 5.5 lb #10 cans from LDS are awesome.

The thing about hard wheat is you don't grind more than you intend to use as the germ will spoil the flour in a week or two I'm told. I splurged on a Country Living Grain Mill with electric drive and basically turn the thing on for about 10 minutes to make super fine baking flour once a week.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 11:05:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Were people during the Great Depression more resourceful or less resourceful than the average American today? Did they have stronger moral convictions or fewer moral convictions? Stronger social bonds to their neighbors, or less social bonds? Less entitled or more entitled than people now? Was there less diversity and cultural enrichment or more?

This isn't the same country that weathered the Great Depression. Not even close.
View Quote
Add to this our more fragile food manufacturing process and supply chains

People acting like animals when mcdonalds is out of chicken mcnuggets and acting like animals when they ARENT starving
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 11:56:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Just buy an abundance of what you currently eat that will store and you’ll beat inflation by a little since you’ll always be eating at yesterdays prices.

Also grow/can your own.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 2:28:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just buy an abundance of what you currently eat that will store and you’ll beat inflation by a little since you’ll always be eating at yesterdays prices.

View Quote

That's a start and should be done anyways for the savings, but not everyone realistically has the same amount of time to deal with certain types of food prep, even if they're set up to do so and know how.   Like bread - we'll rotate through a bit of flour and grind some sometimes, but it just isn't always a regular part of our food rotation.  

We also cook regularly, but don't regularly use the full range of stuff we want stored in cans - that leads to going through a bunch of canned stuff every few months to rotate that out.  

Beans-n-rice-n-spices is pretty idiot-proof and makes a solid foundation with an exceptional shelf life.   Remember, we're at the "oh shit" point where a lot of people are playing catch-up.   3, 6, or whatever months of that is a massive improvement over not having it.

Irony:  we eat beans and rice all the time, we just don't use dried beans because they're a pain in the ass and we have better things to do for now.  So the dried beans go into storage unless we're testing new recipes for them.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Food is always a top priority. Prices are skyrocketing right now, and availability is at best, challenging.

Since you're even asking, I suspect you don't want to believe this so there's not much that can be done to help you.

You've already made up your mind.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Skip flour. Store wheat. It will last longer and flour can screw up your seal with mylar. Just fyi.
Also.
Lentils,split peas.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also.
Lentils,split peas.

Agree on the wheat berries. Get both. Flour is good for 1-2 years. Wheat berries, many more than that. Plus you can sprout them for greens (not great tasting but healthy) in the winter. Could plant them for wheat, if it really is eotwawki. (doubful).

The only caveat is, to make wheat berries useable, you'll be investing another 2-500 dollars on a decent grain mill.

Plus one on the rest of protus' post. Spaghetti takes up less room. Rotate lots of variety of sauces for the pasta.

For the low carb people: Alfredo sauce and french cut green beans are a tasty shelf stable item. Kraut and canned corned beef is something we eat regularly.

A dehydrator is fun. I'm trying dehydrated eggs, next. Those puppies are expensive and have a funk to them.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 3:38:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Amazon was selling Augason Farms 26# pails of the white winter wheat for $18 delivered back in 2020 and I bought 12 of those (should have bought 40!). I've also got about 10 cases of the LDS stuff back when those were ~$34 delivered.

The bagged stuff can be cheaper, but those 5.5 lb #10 cans from LDS are awesome.

The thing about hard wheat is you don't grind more than you intend to use as the germ will spoil the flour in a week or two I'm told. I splurged on a Country Living Grain Mill with electric drive and basically turn the thing on for about 10 minutes to make super fine baking flour once a week.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/310106/20220412_115544_jpg-2428858.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where do you buy yours?

Thanks!

Also, nice power supply man

A buddy just brought me a bunch of 6 ga wire so I can try and build a few 2kw lifepo4 banks
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Thanks!

A buddy just brought me a bunch of 6 ga wire so I can try and build a few 2kw lifepo4 banks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where do you buy yours?

Thanks!

I'm building a big one now with three SOK 100ah LiFePO4 batteries (w/heaters) and a 3000W renogy inverter. Will also have an external set of four 100ah cheaper Zooms LiFePO4 batteries in another pelican.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Look at it this way; why is it a bad idea to keep 3-6 months of long term shelf stable food on hand?
View Quote

I am slightly prepared at home.  I own a pretty big restaurant with a shit ton of seafood and meat with a BU genny so if the SHTF I've gotta grab some rifles and go on the roof but I don't foresee that happening.

I do agree, better to have something than nothing but I'm on the optimistic side.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 8:42:54 PM EDT
[#35]

@Swampgrass

I'm pretty sure, judging by the Cyrillic stamp on the photo that that is Ukraine and not the US.

Good try though.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 12:18:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Please give the doomsday scenario where you're loading mags and I'm attacking your house for food?

Just jackoff prepper fantasy shit.

View Quote

Late to this thread.

Talking about starvation, you seem to think it takes a certain set of circumstances in particular types of governments/societies. There are people starving in various ways all around us right now.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
How do you guys store your rice and beans (and other foods, really) in a way that will keep them for long periods but also allow you to rotate through them? I'm loading up on food slowly but surely more to soften the blow of higher food prices later this year than to have a SHTF contingency plan.
View Quote
No offense, but if you  have to ask this question, the best way to store some decent food right now is to write a check - to the world's SME's on long term food storage.

https://store.churchofjesuschrist.org/usa/en/food-storage-3074457345616678849-1

Link Posted: 7/3/2022 12:17:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Update- My order from USA Emergency Supply arrived within a week of ordering. I ended up ordering some 1 gallon MYLAR bags and 1000cc O2 absorbers.

YouTube'd how to do it, than sealed them all up using my wife's hair straightener lol. Stood on a couple afterward to make sure they were sealed well. 100% success!

Fyi, I recommend the 1 gallon bags. Figure on 7 pounds of rice per gallon bag, ie 10 1 gallon bags will hold 70# of rice.

Quoted:

@Alnen123

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Eagle_19er

They do actually take PayPal, but before ordering I looked up reviews which seemed hit or miss. How have your experiences been?

@Alnen123

Link Posted: 7/3/2022 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Not an uncommon mentality. One that hasn't been thought through, nor researched. So, although completely ignorant and short sighted, it is a notion that is probably more popular than not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure if serious.

Not an uncommon mentality. One that hasn't been thought through, nor researched. So, although completely ignorant and short sighted, it is a notion that is probably more popular than not.

I've come to the conclusion that the average person is very, very stupid.

They may be experts in their field - but they are lacking in objective reasoning and critical thinking skills.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top