Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 4/24/2020 6:20:05 PM EDT
No cruise ships, no hotel stays, no tourism, no beaches.

These D.C. government robots with paychecks coming off the money press are so out of touch with how many Americans have nothing coming in right now. My neighbor owns a commercial food distribution biz that services restaurants and she can't afford to reopen it. All the employees(50-60) are hosed.

We have to get back to work..
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I never knew there was a Florida in Deutschland.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

These D.C. government robots with paychecks coming off the money press are so out of touch with how many Americans have nothing coming in right now. My neighbor owns a commercial food distribution biz that services restaurants and she can't afford to reopen it. All the employees(50-60) are hosed.

View Quote

It sucks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#3]
God Damn shame. It was done by our “leaders” . It’ll be A SHIT STORM For a long time.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Government ruins everything.
No exceptions.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#5]
China is Asshole.  So is Iran and North Korea.  Russia is too.  And so are Islamic terrorists.  Blame them for this virus.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Government money has a multiplying effect of 1.5 whereas private expenditures of 7.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Why arent they getn bailout money and paying employees ? Something doesnt add up, the PPP  is designed for this exact reason.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:26:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
God Damn shame. It was done by our “leaders” . It’ll be A SHIT STORM For a long time.
View Quote

The sad thing is the sheep want more gov't and the people that realize the gov't is out of control at every level will not be able to overcome the sheep. Once the dust settles it will business as usual and back in bed with commies.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:27:08 PM EDT
[#9]
It’s ruined everywhere, the doomers and uninformed just can’t see it yet.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:27:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

They invaded and conquered us by surprise using Swamp Tanks, nobody was expecting it. There was movie about it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:28:31 PM EDT
[#11]
We've got a strong economic foundation built.
If we were to open after this weekend, we would bounce back rather quickly.

However, this foundation is eroding quick. Another 3 weeks and it will be a lot of work to get it back. I see it getting exponentially worse every three days here.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#12]
These D.C. government robots with paychecks coming off the money press are so out of touch with how many Americans have nothing coming in right now.
View Quote

DC didn’t shut down Florida.  Florida Governor shut down Florida.

We just had a local daycare announce they are broke, closing for good, and selling off their furnishings and equipment.  If DeSantis doesn’t end this bullshit shutdown then May will bring 1000s more
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#13]
The S FL county gov'ts are some of my biggest clients, hope things turn around.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why arent they getn bailout money and paying employees ? Something doesnt add up, the PPP  is designed for this exact reason.
View Quote
Paying employees? Chump shit. How about a million+ bux in inventory that has been thrown out the past few weeks for expiring in her warehouses.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It’s ruined everywhere, the doomers and uninformed just can’t see it yet.
View Quote

We're bleeding out by 1000 cuts. Pretty clear to me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:30:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because Harvard and Ruths Chris Steakhouse said “fuck yo small bidness, gibs ME dat gummint cheese!”
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Blaming our government for this virus is kinda like blaming the NYC city council for 9/11
This virus exists to the extent it does because China lied and concealed the truth.
They are responsible for this. Every other government is simply trying to choose the least worst path through this mess...because there is no good path.

I'd be fine with Trump sending a letter to China stating that we have elected to default on 100% of our debt to them, that we consider their neglect an act of war, and that in response we are writing our debt to them off our books...end of game. Fuck them...their industry...their economy...and the nations who foster them. I'm not sure who would be more pissed....China, or all the nations they owe (our) money to.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

We just had a local daycare announce they are broke, closing for good, and selling off their furnishings and equipment.  If DeSantis doesn’t end this bullshit shutdown then May will bring 1000s more
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
These D.C. government robots with paychecks coming off the money press are so out of touch with how many Americans have nothing coming in right now.

Pretty soon the only daycares left will be those creepy Scientology daycares with innocuous names.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

We’ve got 20% unemployment right now. Today.

We will hit 30% before it turns I think.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#20]
You have a plan for grouping lots of people together with a contagious virus on the loose that has no vaccine?

I sure as heck do not.  But, I suppose my 80 year old mother has had a decent run.

I'm in retail construction and I can easily see that the next few years are going to suck.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Blaming our government for this virus is kinda like blaming the NYC city council for 9/11
This virus exists to the extent it does because China lied and concealed the truth.
They are responsible for this. Every other government is simply trying to choose the least worst path through this mess...because there is no good path.

I'd be fine with Trump sending a letter to China stating that we have elected to default on 100% of our debt to them, that we consider their neglect an act of war, and that in response we are writing our debt to them off our books...end of game. Fuck them...their industry...their economy...and the nations who foster them. I'm not sure who would be more pissed....China, or all the nations they owe (our) money to.
View Quote

Someone doesn’t know how sovereign debt and markets work.

I see this idea posted all the time and it’s just as retarded now as it was 5 minutes ago the last time I read it.

Laughably unworkable and almost certainly more detrimental to the US in the long run.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Paying employees? Chump shit. How about a million+ bux in inventory that has been thrown out the past few weeks for expiring in her warehouses.
View Quote

Why havent they been selling that instead of throwing it out? Are normal kitchens not good enough to cook it?
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#23]
It’s like this everywhere. The virus was bad- the cure is far, far worse
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:34:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Maybe all the yankees will go back from whence they came.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds like your neighbor just didn't have the business acuity/agility to repurpose her food service sales into the consumer grocery market while this shut down plays out. Hell, the grocery stores were running out of stuff because people were buying multiple units...like food service sized packs.

Worst case scenario she could have donated it all to food pantries and taken a write off.

With the PPP money available, she should have been able to keep those people on her payroll.

With the government dough being made available...there's damn little reason anybody with enough sense to operate a business is being forced to permanently close down.

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:35:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It could be higher . The damage will snowball. Some parts of the country will do better. Any other place with a lot of people is fucked.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Why havent they been selling that instead of throwing it out? Are normal kitchens not good enough to cook it?
View Quote
To fucking who? It's commercial food for commercial kitchens. Hotels, Restaurants.

It's not packaged all nice and neat like the stuff you see in the grocery store, and your local Susan isn't buying 300lbs of butter at time.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:37:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Because Harvard and Ruths Chris Steakhouse said "fuck yo small bidness, gibs ME dat gummint cheese!"
View Quote
Both gave the money back.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sounds like your neighbor just didn't have the business acuity/agility to repurpose her food service sales into the consumer grocery market while this shut down plays out. Hell, the grocery stores were running out of stuff because people were buying multiple units...like food service sized packs.

With the PPP money available, she should have been able to keep those people on her payroll.

With the government dough being made available...there's damn little reason anybody with enough sense to operate a business is being forced to permanently close down.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya man, just go out there and jump into Kroger/Walmart/Cosco's supply chains overnight. SUPER easy im sure..
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:38:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Someone doesn't know how sovereign debt and markets work.

I see this idea posted all the time and it's just as retarded now as it was 5 minutes ago the last time I read it.

Laughably unworkable and almost certainly more detrimental to the US in the long run.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see this idea posted all the time and it's just as retarded now as it was 5 minutes ago the last time I read it.

A guy can fantasize about it
I know it will never happen...its no different than talking about nuking them...its blowing off steam by alluding to scorched earth polices.
Yeah..defaulting would be an end game...but hey...isn't this supposed to be the apocalypse anyway?
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:39:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I know it will never happen...its no different than talking about nuking them...its blowing off steam by alluding to scorched earth polices.
Yeah..defaulting would be an end game...but hey...isn't this supposed to be the apocalypse anyway?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sure hope not. I don’t have enough beans for my chili.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

And if that can't be achieved, one just might as well give it away.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:39:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
We can blame China for Covid-19, we can't blame China for the insane unconstitutional government overreaching respsonse to Covid-19.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I have family in South FL, the lot of you want it to be shut down as much as those "DC" people.    Not saying it's the boomer population, but it might just be the boomer population.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:40:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Glad I moved from Broward to N FL right before this mess started.  Like 5 days before, new location, new job.  My friends in south FL are so screwed & mad.  And Miami, Broward & Palm beach make up 80% of the FL cases & deaths.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

No one is blaming the .gov for the virus, we're blaming them for the retarded response.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
To fucking who? It's commercial food for commercial kitchens. Hotels, Restaurants.

It's not packaged all nice and neat like the stuff you see in the grocery store, and your local Susan isn't buying 300lbs of butter at time.
View Quote

Bullshit, depending where, i know ppl that would take freezer full of goods. Couldve sold at discount or give to food pantry, some ppl want to create drama, not solutions.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

And that's the problem. I don't know a thing about the "commercial food distribution biz." Hell, I barely am aware that the industry exists, outside of this post, and the general understanding that restaurants have to get their food from somewhere, and they probably don't go to Kroger. There are likely thousands of businesses like that.

So, your neighbor has to go out of business. Then, in a few months, the quarantine ends. Restaurants may want to reopen. Or more likely other people might decide to take out a loan to start a restaurant since there is a lot of demand but most of the current ones are out of business permanently. But where will they get their food from?

In theory, someone else could start up a new commercial food distribution company to supply them... But how many people have a clue how to do that? I don't and I'm betting only a handful of people know how to set one up from scratch, make the necessary connections with suppliers, purchase the needed equipment, and then contact the new startup restaurants. So the new restaurants can't open until the suppliers open, and the people that sell to the suppliers (The food producers) are shut down too and until there are restaurants and producers up and going then the suppliers can't get back to going again.

Now, multiply this across virtually every sector of the economy.

Yea, this is a mess.

I'm still in the camp of believing that the virus would have shut down the economy anyway when it got going so I think it was an unavoidable mess. But it's still a mess.

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

my friend is on a facebook page for curbside takeout.   they help refer restaurants and bars doing takeouts.  they were selling produce and groceries too. but they were getting told to stop, the place he works for.   the businesses seem for the most part to be supporting each other.

south florida curbside takeout.

not sure if they need services and supplies.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Escaped POW from Camp Blanding
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've been in food service for a lot of my adult life and most stuff is in 40# packs. I've never seen a 300lb package of butter. 40# blocks? Yeah, but most foodservice operations prefer 40# cases of 1# individually wrapped blocks of butter.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:45:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Maybe all the yankees will go back from whence they came.
View Quote

Maybe.
Maybe some of us will be buying foreclosed houses on the cheap.
We'll see , Johnny Reb.

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:46:46 PM EDT
[#43]
People are shocked that the entertainment business really isn't vital.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:46:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

NEW TO THE INTERNET HUH
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
We can blame China for Covid-19, we can't blame China for the insane unconstitutional government overreaching respsonse to Covid-19.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:47:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Ya man, just go out there and jump into Kroger/Walmart/Cosco's supply chains overnight. SUPER easy im sure..
View Quote
How hard is it to advertise your 'will call' and do curbside delivery to her parking lot?

The foodservice purveyors are doing exactly that around here. 40# case of chickens? They'll put it right into your trunk.

Just gotta think outside the box. Hell, I'll bet her company even has a couple scales and some 1000' rolls of plastic wrap and butcher paper.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#47]
I think we are at 1/4 of the way to a total depression. A lot big companies and businesses in heavily populated areas are finished. So more unemployment is on the horizon. No more working from home. No job period.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:48:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's near Bremen.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

We have several restaurant suppliers, around here, that almost immediately started selling at retail. If they didn't have a facebook page, they made one and started posting about the sales.

I'm not trying to be unsympathetic, but, as a business owner, you have to quick thinking and can't always rely on the same business model. She sells food, just change to a different buying market.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I've been in food service for a lot of my adult life and most stuff is in 40# packs. I've never seen a 300lb package of butter. 40# blocks? Yeah, but most foodservice operations prefer 40# cases of 1# individually wrapped blocks of butter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're probably right on the butter, but missing the point. I'm not in her business, I fly airplanes.

This a multi generational family business that is about to collapse after 6 weeks of 10-15% normal sales. I'm sure this isn't the only business in this position.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top