Quoted:

Great argument for gun control.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I literally don't even understand the impetus behind that.  Even if I grant that the impetus will be stupid, redundant, or wrong-headed, I still don't even get it.

What does this accomplish?

Forcing you to register yourself (not individual aircraft) and then put your "n number" on everything you fly gives them a way to track you down when your quad takes a dive into a stadium crowd, or flies over an active runway.  They want to eliminate the anonymity that owners currently have, so they can prosecute the fucking morons flying their Phantoms and similar "drones" into controlled airspace, near fires, etc.

Yep.  

Shits retarded.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is my rc boat under the Coast Guards authority?
View Quote

Just wait....
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#3]
will the faa send out a team and investigate the crash when your $30.00 walmart rc helo pancakes in the backyard?
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 6:54:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Hahahah.  They better lace their boots and practice kicking 'cause I'm not registering anything.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
will the faa send out a team and investigate the crash when your $30.00 walmart rc helo pancakes in the backyard?
View Quote

I'll be sure to call them next time I crash one.  

I wonder what they would say nowadays.  I used to fly from an uncontrolled airport runway.  The guy that ran the airport always said,  "just move out of the way if you see a plane,  if you don't you will need a new one.".
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Standard counterinsurgency move. Eliminate sanctuary.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#7]

If you shoot down an unregistered "drone" with an unregistered "assault rifle", how close is that to dividing by zero?

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:03:46 PM EDT
[#8]
So a big enough paper airplane would need registration?
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:05:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Forcing you to register yourself (not individual aircraft) and then put your "n number" on everything you fly gives them a way to track you down when your quad takes a dive into a stadium crowd, or flies over an active runway.  They want to eliminate the anonymity that owners currently have, so they can prosecute the fucking morons flying their Phantoms and similar "drones" into controlled airspace, near fires, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I literally don't even understand the impetus behind that.  Even if I grant that the impetus will be stupid, redundant, or wrong-headed, I still don't even get it.

but you're not required to put the N number on the outside of the aircraft, so what good does it do unless they capture the aircraft?
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Dance with the devil, expect your hands to get singed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...Team

i don't know what this is supposed to mean
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:06:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:08:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So a big enough paper airplane would need registration?
View Quote

not sure if free flight planes are included, seems like only controlled flight aircraft between .55 and 55lbs, so you're safe, for now.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No you aren't. If you get an actual rating so that you can do stuff with your drone commercially, then maybe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think some of you guys are missing the upside to all of this.  I'm a recognized pilot now!  Chicks dig pilots!

No you aren't. If you get an actual rating so that you can do stuff with your drone commercially, then maybe.

You must be fun at parties.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:11:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I think this is a good move.  These things are dangerous and intrusive.  I support increased restrictions to include height and distance limits from operators, prohibitions on recording equipment unless for approved commercial flights, and law enforcement kill switches.  

These things are far too common now.  Very dangerous, plus the buzzing noise is annoying.  

They aren't protected by the constitution either, so no real obstacles to enacting some common sense restrictions and regulations.

Trump 2016
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't see anything about marking the plane.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Will not comply. Congress didn't give them athority to regulate hobby aircraft under 55 pounds.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#20]
So will they have to send out a FAA investigation team when one crashes?
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#21]
http://thehill.com/policy/transportation/263184-dem-senator-to-feds-go-further-than-drone-registrations

from the article:

Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) is urging the Federal Aviation Administration on its new requirement that drone users pay a fee and register their devices with the federal government.

The Department of Transportation said Monday drone users will have to register their devices by Feb. 19, 2016, in a new Web-based tracking system that is being set up, beginning on Dec. 21.

The agency is imposing a $5 fee for drone registrations — over the objections of drone advocates — but the FAA said it is waiving the charge for the first 30 days of the new requirement.

Blumenthal said the FAA should go further with its efforts to regulate non-military drones, however.  

“The FAA’s effort to register drones is a positive step for accountability and oversight, but much more needs to be done to address drone dangers," he said in a statement.

"The FAA needs to combine today’s announcement with effective enforcement, holding anyone accountable who threatens air safety," Blumenthal continued.

"Congress must act swiftly, empowering FAA even further with more authority, tools and resources to safeguard our skies from increasing dangers of these new devices, like requiring clear, enforceable operational restrictions that will keep these drones away from airports, manned aircraft, public areas and critical infrastructure," he said. "We must also require the installation of fail-safe technology in the manufacturing process, so it’s impossible for owners to misuse these powerful devices."

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:21:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It's going to be enforced one of two ways. When you screw up and hurt someone or property or when someone else turns you in. Don't think it's not going to happen.

This thread is so full of butthurt, its hilarious. lmao
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So..........how is this going to be enforced?  Is some out of shape LEO/Fed gonna chase my quad rotor as it hovers over trees back to my house?

It's going to be enforced one of two ways. When you screw up and hurt someone or property or when someone else turns you in. Don't think it's not going to happen.

This thread is so full of butthurt, its hilarious. lmao

I get that but there is going to have to be some way it's traced back to you. I have never purchased one so unless these things have a serial number on them I'm going to guess it will be sort or hard but not impossible to find out the owner.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:26:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Is the hobby self regulating still or are people doing stupid things with them?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Please reconsider the argument you are making (at least implicitly).

I would argue there is no such thing as "self regulating" anything as neither you nor I can account for the actions of other people.

If people were doing stupid, negligent, or criminal acts with these things then the government should have reached into their already extensive reservoir of statute and regulations to punish those people for their actions on an individual case by case basis.

I would not stand for gun control laws to strip you of your liberties because some jack-mook gunned down another person anymore than I support this.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This is a well thought out plan by the government to defeat the terrorists.

1 They hate us for our freedoms

2 Take away as many freedoms as possible

3 Terrorists no longer hate us

4 Profit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Land of the free my ass.

This is a well thought out plan by the government to defeat the terrorists.

1 They hate us for our freedoms

2 Take away as many freedoms as possible

3 Terrorists no longer hate us

4 Profit

I don't know why but I am literally laughing out loud at this post.

I shouldn't be because this is depressing as hell and yet here I am.

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
...Team

The AMA was conciliatory and "advised" an agency instead of fighting tooth and nail. It's little surprise that the agency wrote a ruling that took their suggestions and then expanded its power. The intentions were good, but naive, and it's just screwed a whole bunch of people.

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:33:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I will feel much safer now knowing my 14 drones are now registered.  I will just use another name besides my own!
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Yeah, and blister pack radios require a GMRS license. L O fucking L.
View Quote

Yeah, I got right on top of that GMRS license thing.  I thought that my HAM license would cover it... nope.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think some of you guys are missing the upside to all of this.  I'm a recognized pilot now!  Chicks dig pilots!

Your argument is that someone should get a commercial ticket so they can take a pic from 50' AGL with a little quad or not get in trouble for having ads on a YouTube video of FPV racing.

Do you grasp the logical fallacy there? That's akin saying that only when you go to med school, can you be qualified to cut off a hangnail.  

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Compliance rate will be about the same as for GMRS radios.
View Quote

That's not really the point.

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:40:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did I say I was in agreement with this shit?
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then read the actual article, not the excerpt in the OP:

Registrants will need to provide their name, home address and e-mail address. Upon completion of the registration process, the web application will generate a Certificate of Aircraft Registration/Proof of Ownership that will include a unique identification number for the UAS owner, which must be marked on the aircraft.

Owners using the model aircraft for hobby or recreation will only have to register once and may use the same identification number for all of their model UAS. The registration is valid for three years.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:50:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Anyone know if these have to be registered to an individual, or can they be registered to an organization.  Like a high school.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#35]
"The business of America is business government."

So is having a set of prints for a 1/8 Piper Cub and a pile of balsa wood constructive intent?

God. I am so fucking done with our Federal .gov

Anyone who questions why I'm a "bottom up" libertarian, I'm throwing this one on the table. Fuck DC.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 8:03:11 PM EDT
[#36]
The FAA could have simply required you to write your name and address on the aircraft and had the same effect...

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 8:07:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The FAA could have simply required you to write your name and address on the aircraft and had the same effect...
View Quote

Great point
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 8:08:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Dumb mother fucking fucks running this country... Running it into the mother fucking ground.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 8:09:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Kinda hard to impose more taxes and fees upon the peons that way though.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Do I need to call out the FAA and NTSB when there is a crash?
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Yep.  

Shits retarded.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.  

Shits retarded.

Yup.  

The registration is per aircraft.  Jokes on them, the FAA is gonna need a bigger database when I register.

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Registrants will need to provide their name, home address and e-mail address. Upon completion of the registration process, the web application will generate a Certificate of Aircraft Registration/Proof of Ownership that will include a unique identification number for the UAS owner, which must be marked on the aircraft.

Owners using the model aircraft for hobby or recreation will only have to register once and may use the same identification number for all of their model UAS. The registration is valid for three years.

doesn't have to be marked on the outside of the aircraft, but shouldn't require tools to access (like inside a battery compartment)  
If they think i'm going to stick registration numbers on this, they are sorely mistaken

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 8:11:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yup.  

The registration is per aircraft.  Jokes on them, the FAA is gonna need a bigger database when I register.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  

Shits retarded.

Yup.  

its not per aircraft, its per pilot, so you'd have the same N number on all of your planes.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#44]
I guess that kites and helium balloons will need to be registered...
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 8:16:59 PM EDT
[#45]
I suppose this is where I say "I'm glad I gave away all of my RC helicopters. I couldn't fly them worth shit and got tired of spending $30 for 1.5 seconds of flight time. Hookers are a better price per second of entertainment."

No, really, I suck at flying.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It's just another way or the .gov to make some extra bucks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Our government sure likes making lists.
View Quote

Yeah.   You know this is mostly a revenue generator.      It's like my city charges a fee every year to register your home alarm.   They say it is to reduce false alarms.... How does charging me to add my name to a list reduce false alarms?!?!?!      It doesn't.    It is purely for the $$$$$
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
its not per aircraft, its per pilot, so you'd have the same N number on all of your planes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.  

http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/faqs/

Q. What happens if I sell my drone?

A. You should log on to the registration website and update your
registration information. We also strongly encourage you to remove your
registration number from the drone before the transfer of ownership.

One N number, but they are tracking airframes.  They confirmed on the conference call.  

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Actually yes.

Q. What about tethered drones?

A. Both tethered and untethered UAS must be registered.

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#50]
And yet the SB terrorist were strapping bombs to RC cars!
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top