Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 20
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I saw one in the wild last night.  Honestly, I thought it was a RidgeLine until I saw the Ford symbol.

I'll pass.
View Quote

I'm not really sure what you were expecting I guess, because that's what it's pretty much been known to be since the announcement.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 12:34:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The more I see the more I like it. More practical than a car and larger than the Bronco Sport that it's based on. I'll probably buy one in a year or two.
View Quote

When you say bigger you mean other than the bed?
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 12:41:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Watching some reviews on this thing and some dude was bashing his Ecoboost version pretty good.  Little thing was doing 0-60 in 6.5s, the damn hybrid was under 8s. Be a neat daily beater to hand off to my son in a few yrs.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 1:17:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Of course they're gonna option the shit out of them

Couple of xlt and one xl near seattle. None below $30k
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 1:24:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Watching some reviews on this thing and some dude was bashing his Ecoboost version pretty good.  Little thing was doing 0-60 in 6.5s, the damn hybrid was under 8s. Be a neat daily beater to hand off to my son in a few yrs.
View Quote
Driving it like that it probably won't last but a couple of years. The longevity of the Maverick will be interesting to see going forward. Will it be a dumpster fire in 5 years or will it live up to the long term dependability of a Tacoma or Frontier that can easily do 10 years and 200k miles?
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 1:26:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Historically the middle trim options are the highest volume sellers with the budget and top trim being the slowest, so when you can only make so many I can see why they would put the ones most likely to sell on the lot first.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 1:33:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Have they said what the tax break on the electric one is yet?
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 1:40:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Have they said what the tax break on the electric one is yet?
View Quote

There’s no electric one available, is there a tax break for hybrids?
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 2:06:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yet.  If it were not for covidWorld supply issues, I was betting they were going to announce a plug in electric for 2023.

But not yet.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yet.  If it were not for covidWorld supply issues, I was betting they were going to announce a plug in electric for 2023.

But not yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But not yet.

When they said the first one was a "full hybrid" I assumed that it was just electric with no gas motor.
Just checked the website, it says the hybrid has a 13.8 gallon gas tank.

Do we know what the tax break on that is?
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 2:18:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Historically the middle trim options are the highest volume sellers with the budget and top trim being the slowest, so when you can only make so many I can see why they would put the ones most likely to sell on the lot first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes sense.   You can order whatever you like anyway.  Unfortunately you might not see it for a year.  

The options packages for this one really push you to the middle.   The base model isn't bad for the price but it really is stripped and the available options are limited.  The top one has a bunch of shit that you don't really need.  

The sweet spot is the middle one with all the option packages except for the luxury pack.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 2:19:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

When they said the first one was a "full hybrid" I assumed that it was just electric with no gas motor.

View Quote

I’ve never seen the term hybrid to describe a electric vehicle. The battery has to be a certain size to be eligible for a tax credit and most hybrids aren’t. Only the ones like the Toyota Prime’s and similar. I haven’t heard anything about these Mavericks being eligible. I assume it’s a similar setup to the escape hybrids which have been around a long time amd aren’t eligible except for the latest few years of plug ins (PHEV)
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 2:21:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

The only hybrids that get tax credits are those that are considered plug in hybrids that can fully operate on electric for a small amount of time. The Maverick's current hybrid powertrain doesn't qualify.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 2:30:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But not yet.

“Full hybrid” is a bit of an oxymoron.

All hybrids are a combination of things by their very definition.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But not yet.

Full hybrid just means it can travel short distances on electric alone. Non-full hybrids require the engine to be started at any point the car is being accelerated.

Battery only no ICE vehicles are known as BEVs or Battery Electric Vehicles.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 8:58:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I read a couple reviews recently. If the hybrid had a decent AWD system, I'd be decently interested. A Maverick could likely do just about everything I do (or want to) with my Ridgeline. I don't have a camper trailer right now, but I may eventually want to get another. I think I'd go with a smaller, lighter popup, so the towing capacity of the Ecoboost Mav would likely do it. One review said someone from Ford stated they would keep an eye on demand, and maybe end up doing an AWD hybrid version.

Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I read a couple reviews recently. If the hybrid had a decent AWD system, I'd be decently interested. A Maverick could likely do just about everything I do (or want to) with my Ridgeline. I don't have a camper trailer right now, but I may eventually want to get another. I think I'd go with a smaller, lighter popup, so the towing capacity of the Ecoboost Mav would likely do it. One review said someone from Ford stated they would keep an eye on demand, and maybe end up doing an AWD hybrid version.

View Quote

I’m holding out for another year in the hopes that there is a hybrid AWD, I’m not interested in the Ecoboost if I’m going to lose 60% of the fuel economy.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I’m holding out for another year in the hopes that there is a hybrid AWD, I’m not interested in the Ecoboost if I’m going to lose 60% of the fuel economy.
View Quote

Same here. except also because the car market is batshit insane right now. Hybrid AWD is what would make this thing perfect for me. I don't need crazy tow capacity.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:29:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Diesel or gas... wouldn't matter to me.  I would buy one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ford should make a regular cab long bed 4x4 diesel with manual locks/windows/trans and vinyl seats and floors for $25k.

They would sell millions every year

Diesel or gas... wouldn't matter to me.  I would buy one.

I would buy one. Damn right I would.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm holding out for another year in the hopes that there is a hybrid AWD, I'm not interested in the Ecoboost if I'm going to lose 60% of the fuel economy.
View Quote
This.  But I've got a much longer timeline before I can afford to buy one
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:13:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Full hybrid just means it can travel short distances on electric alone. Non-full hybrids require the engine to be started at any point the car is being accelerated.

View Quote

So what are the non full hybrids as the main ones I am aware of like the Toyota and Ford will drive on battery alone for a short distance.
Quoted:

View Quote

Where did the 60% come from? I thought they were pretty close.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:20:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So what are the non full hybrids as the main ones I am aware of like the Toyota and Ford will drive on battery alone for a short distance.

Where did the 60% come from? I thought they were pretty close.
View Quote

The claim is 40mpg city with the hybrid, while the ecoboost will likely be closer to 20 with AWD. Highway driving will be pretty similar between the two as the hybrid powertrain isn't doing much.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:49:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I ordered one on June the 9th,,, not made yet..... I'll probably get it in Dec. or Jan.,, we'll see.....  [ a loaded out Lariat ]
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:53:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I ordered one on June the 9th,,, not made yet..... I'll probably get it in Dec. or Jan.,, we'll see.....  [ a loaded out Lariat ]
View Quote

@leswill

Which driveline did you choose?
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 9:05:40 AM EDT
[#25]
There were 3 on a lot that I looked at this weekend. The window prices with options for them were roughly 25k XL, 28K XLT, and 35k for Lariat with all 3 being AWD. All were pre-sold so not able to test drive. My DD is a RAV4 so I’m used to a smaller vehicle and this was as comfortable or more for me. My RAV4 does most of what I want but I don’t like hauling trash etc in it. I don’t need a real truck for most of what I do, just something cheap on gas and comfortable.  This will do everything my RAV4 does along with the ability to do a small of amount of hauling.  

As far as looks, it was better than I expecting in person. I don’t really get the looks comparison to the Ridgeline. Ridgeline is taller but the nose looks like a minivan with a truck bed, the Maverick just looks like a small truck upfront.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:21:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Really surprising they didn't offer hybrid AWD right off the bat. given the current market pressure to put out hybrids and electrics.   In a forced choice (which is what we are being offered) I'd go AWD over hybrid every time.   The additional complexity of hybrid systems still makes me a little leery but if it had AWD or 4WD I'd take the plunge.  

4k lbs towing isn't bad - I've been thinking of a popup or small pop out trailer as well and 4k towing would cover it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:33:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They mostly don't exist anymore...

Honda's IMA system, Ram's eTorque system that used the starter to accelerate the truck from a stop, but simultaneously starts the ICE, there's a few.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_hybrid
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:35:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
There were 3 on a lot that I looked at this weekend. The window prices with options for them were roughly 25k XL, 28K XLT, and 35k for Lariat with all 3 being AWD.
View Quote
Wow, that's crazy. I thought the main selling point was they were cheaper than the popular mid sized truck market. Guess not. May as well go with a midsized truck at those prices, unless you really need AWD drive for something, but even then? A base Tacoma SR is $26k and can haul 1600lbs more of groceries.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Wow, that's crazy. I thought the main selling point was they were cheaper than the popular mid sized truck market. Guess not. May as well go with a midsized truck at those prices, unless you really need AWD drive for something, but even then? A base Tacoma SR is $26k and can haul 1600lbs more of groceries.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There were 3 on a lot that I looked at this weekend. The window prices with options for them were roughly 25k XL, 28K XLT, and 35k for Lariat with all 3 being AWD.

A Ranger with 4wd is low 30s. It's not 2005 anymore. A base Tacoma with 4wd also starts about 30 as well.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 2:16:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

A Ranger with 4wd is low 30s. It's not 2005 anymore. A base Tacoma with 4wd also starts about 30 as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no other truck you can touch for the price of the maverick with the same options.   Crew cab AWD/4wd and towing package you are getting near $40k.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
I feel like this statement should be in every single pickup truck thread in GD, in the OP, before people complain about wanting a small truck/how big trucks have become/how if there was only a small, cheap truck out there/if only there was a pickup for $20k/if only someone made a small, cheap pickup truck that was shitty and had zero amenities then they'd buy it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 2:54:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I feel like this statement should be in every single pickup truck thread in GD, in the OP, before people complain about wanting a small truck/how big trucks have become/how if there was only a small, cheap truck out there/if only there was a pickup for $20k/if only someone made a small, cheap pickup truck that was shitty and had zero amenities then they'd buy it.
View Quote

I think this little truck is pretty cool and I think it will sell well. It annoys me that it’s almost $4500 over base to get awd and as mentioned doesn’t even have cruise control. Some of us actually want one for truck stuff which for me means a motorcycle in the bed which is tough on these. By the time I get it close I’m damn near in Ranger territory which I would rather have but doesn’t fill the commuter role near as well as I’d like.

I’m still pretty tempted by a 2wd hybrid cost wise even though it would be my first 2wd vehicle ever
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I think this little truck is pretty cool and I think it will sell well. It annoys me that it’s almost $4500 over base to get awd and as mentioned doesn’t even have cruise control. Some of us actually want one for truck stuff which for me means a motorcycle in the bed which is tough on these. By the time I get it close I’m damn near in Ranger territory which I would rather have but doesn’t fill the commuter role near as well as I’d like.

I’m still pretty tempted by a 2wd hybrid cost wise even though it would be my first 2wd vehicle ever
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Additional axles, drive line, awd box / "transfer case", user controls, etc
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 6:03:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’ll likely order one of these myself before long. I’d have preferred an AWD hybrid but will probably just choose the front wheel hybrid in the XLT package. Pricing it out with the options that I want would put me at around 26k. It’d be at least mid 30’s for a similar packaged Ranger but getting half the mpg.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 6:30:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I understand I just don’t like the way stuff is advertised and the build options and cost.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#36]
In other news looks like the 2023 Ford Ranger going to be using a grille similar to the Maverick.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Posted this in its own thread before I realized this big one existed. Saw a couple on the lot today, 25k for one, 26k for the other.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:28:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Payload" is the combined mass of passengers, fuel, and cargo, without a trailer.

The Maverick has a 1500lb maximum payload, the Tacoma SR has 1685lbs for 4x2 Access Cab, and 1285lbs for 4x4 Access Cab (TRD Off-Road 4x4 is only 1105lbs).

The new Tundra TRD Pro has a 1600lb payload and other Tundras only go as high as ~1950lbs. So it really just depends how far apart you want to sit from each other vs the Tacoma, and if your friends are fat or chonky, all three are about the same. Or spend $60k+ for an F150, if you can ever decipher Ford's website.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 3:12:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

"Payload" is the combined mass of passengers, fuel, and cargo, without a trailer.

The Maverick has a 1500lb maximum payload, the Tacoma SR has 1685lbs for 4x2 Access Cab, and 1285lbs for 4x4 Access Cab (TRD Off-Road 4x4 is only 1105lbs).

The new Tundra TRD Pro has a 1600lb payload and other Tundras only go as high as ~1950lbs. So it really just depends how far apart you want to sit from each other vs the Tacoma, and if your friends are fat or chonky, all three are about the same. Or spend $60k+ for an F150, if you can ever decipher Ford's website.

Kharn
View Quote

Crazy that a Tundra only has 100 lbs more payload than the maverick.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Maverick. What a horrible car that was.
View Quote

Agreed....But now its a TRUCK.....yipppeee
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 3:15:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This is the model/paint job of the Maverick my parents had back in the early 80's when I was in high school.  I think it was a V6 if I remember correctly.

https://img.hmn.com/900x0/stories/2018/10/1976-Stallion.jpg
View Quote

Yep...thats a maverick ....Pinto up front Mustang out back
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Kharn
View Quote
I was referring to the towing capacity. 2000 pounds with maverick and 3500 with Tacoma SR. Roughly same price.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 3:26:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I was referring to the towing capacity. 2000 pounds with maverick and 3500 with Tacoma SR. Roughly same price.
View Quote

Mav is 4k with the tow package.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's with the turbo 4 and the tow package. Comparable base trucks it's 2000 vs 3500. Top Tacoma is around 6400.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:08:19 PM EDT
[#45]
https://www.thedrive.com/news/42819/hybrid-ford-maverick-gets-42-mpg-city-epa

Hybrid Ford Maverick Gets 42 MPG City: EPA
It seems the 2022 Ford Maverick is a hit in the making. It's cheap, it's gotten good reviews, and its fuel economy was initially reported by Ford to be well above average in terms of pickups, at roughly 40 miles per gallon. That was just an estimate by the automaker, however, but now we know for sure that Ford's numbers were actually a tiny bit conservative.
The EPA has gotten around to testing the compact Maverick for itself, and the numbers are in: 42 mpg city, 33 mpg highway, and 37 mpg combined. That's much better than anybody was expecting.
As a result, the Maverick is officially the most efficient hybrid pickup out there. It achieves these impressive numbers thanks mostly to its drivetrain; a 2.5-liter Atkinson cycle four-cylinder engine in combination with a continuously variable transmission and an electric motor. A small suitcase-sized battery mounted under the rear seats provides the charge that helps the vehicle get off the line in the city, saving—as it turns out—a whole bunch of fuel.
The combined output of this system is 191 horsepower, which actually makes it more capable than you might think. Even a hair less than 200 horsepower is enough to tow around 2,000 pounds or haul 1,500 pounds worth of stuff in the bed. The only caveat is this drivetrain is front-wheel drive only. If you want an all-wheel-drive Maverick, you'll have to go for the more powerful 2.0-liter turbocharged drivetrain that's not nearly as efficient.
Maverick sales are already off to a good start, but so far only the aforementioned 2.0-liter turbo models have been sold. If you want a fuel-sipping hybrid Maverick, you'll have to wait until December for units to start shipping. And according to Ford, you should order one fast. The Dearborn automaker claims allocations are expected to run dry by early November.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#46]

What’s the ecoboost get in 2wd and 4wd
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:38:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Reviewers are seeing ~32mpg highway.  2WD vs. AWD shouldn't really matter beyond the weight increase.  The FX4 trim gets slightly shorter gearing.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Had one pass me on the interstate the other day. Didn't seem much different in size than my 1st gen Canyon/Colorado.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 11:06:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Had one pass me on the interstate the other day. Didn't seem much different in size than my 1st gen Canyon/Colorado.
View Quote

I work with a lady that has a 4 door 1st Gen Colorado and I that’s what I though of when I saw the Maverick firsthand.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 11:20:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Reviewers are seeing ~32mpg highway.  2WD vs. AWD shouldn't really matter beyond the weight increase.  The FX4 trim gets slightly shorter gearing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the same as the Hybrid on the highway which is where I spend 99% of my time.
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top