Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 3:11:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Prayers for Mila’s quick recovery with God watching over her.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 4:09:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Best wishes from Olive and the rest of my family

Link Posted: 1/8/2022 4:22:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm in.

Beautiful family ya'll have.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 7:00:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you, Brothers!
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 8:28:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow.

I don't know what to say right now.  The wife and I are both floored to be honest.  She really wants to post something from her own account and we are in the process of creating one. We just need site staff to approve it and she'll do so.

In the meantime, I want to take a moment to thank you all. This post might be a bit long, so I understand if you skip it.

TLDR: Just know that we appreciate you. Seriously and sincerely.  Thank you most for the good wishes and prayers.

NOT TLDR:

Ok, here goes - I have to be honest with you - this whole thing makes me incredibly uncomfortable.  I am not one to ask for help and am usually the one who does the helping. I know many of you understand how I feel. But my good friends @AZNetEng  @RINO_Hunter spent the better part of the day talking sense into me.  I was preparing to go at this alone and to sell, mortgage, and liquidate whatever I had to in the process.  They helped me understand that to be hard headed and go about things that way would be selfish to my family and self-serving to my ego. So I relented and let them run with this project.

I'm just going to try to be gracious about this blessing and say thank you - on behalf of my entire family.  You guys are relieving a lot of pressure with your generosity and I'm absolutely floored by the response.

Theres a lot more information about Mila's case in the team thread, but for those of you without access, here are the details:

Mila is 8 years old. She was diagnosed with Stage 2B Osteosarcoma on November 18th. We are fortunate that we caught it before metastasis, because this cancer tends to go to the lungs, and once it gets there.....please just pray it doesn't go there. I don't even want to think about that. Once that diagnosis is made, parents have to start thinking about "making arrangements" for their kid. The kind of arrangements that no parent should have to make.

We found her tumor by a miraculous accident that I will explain later. Or you can read it in the team thread.   We have since been fortunate enough to end up in the care of some amazing doctors in a fantastic hospital.

Mila is 7 weeks into 10 weeks of chemotherapy.   There are 6 sessions in these 10 weeks, and we spend 3-5 days in the hospital for each session.  She is receiving the MAP protocol for those interested in knowing.

She is responding well to the treatment. Very minimal nausea, she's still eating well and keeping her weight up and hasn't developed a fever or needed a blood transfusion yet.

Mila will need surgery to remove the tumor, though. This kind of cancer can't be treated by chemo alone and doesn't respond to radiation. The surgeons are confident that they can save her arm, but she's going to lose a lot of function and there is still a risk of amputation.  They really won't know until they get in there.  

We're struggling to decide on an approach. The prevailing recommendation is a called a vascularized fibular head graft.  @xanadu had it right. They'll probably need to harvest her fibula with the growth plate from her leg and transplant it to her arm.  The other option is mover her ulna to where her radius is.  The whole radius needs to be removed.  Two of the best surgeons in the world have made contradictory recommendations, so its making the decision difficult to reach.

After surgery Mila will need another 6 rounds of chemo in 10 weeks, and it's not uncommon to need another 9 weeks after that.

Our son's situation is a little more straightforward.  He has a growing tumor on his cheek near his jaw.  It looks benign and appears to be in superficial tissues, but it needs to come out (and be biopsied) before it grows into nerves or important blood vessels.

Tony wasn't wrong either.  The costs are significant.  We almost hit our family OOP max in 6 weeks at the end of the year.  And the insurance just reset, so we're on the hook for the entire OOP max again this year. And that's just for the direct Healthcare costs. This ordeal has had a financial impact in many other ways that we couldn't imagine before.

Beyond that,  this whole situation has been extremely stressful, heartbreaking, and an emotional roller-coaster. At one point, Mila looked me in the eye an asked me if she was going to die from cancer.  And I had to stay strong at that moment, smile and say no, absolutely not.  It was the most difficult thing I've ever done in my life and I hope nobody else here ever has to deal with something like that (or deal with that again).

Team - we appreciate your support more than we can communicate.  And we are absolutely convinced that Mila is doing so well because of all the prayers, good vibes, and support being sent her way, so please keep it up!

One more thing - I want to reinforce something very important that Tony said in the GFM post.  Your support will go exclusively to the family's Healthcare costs and expenses directly related to their care. If there is anything left over after this ordeal, it will be paid forward to another worthy family or organization like St. Judes.

If you have any questions just ask.  My wife will be along shortly to say a few words of her own as soon as her account is approved.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/276753/20220107_233527_jpg-2232546.JPG

ETA: Fuck Cancer
View Quote

From one father to another, I wish I could give you a hug right now.

Im glad you are strong enough to accept help, because its not the other way around like we often think it is. Not knowing how to ask for help is one thing, but not being able to accept help is a weakness, not a strength.

You’re a good man and a better father. Those kids are lucky to have you. Keep fighting the good fight and DO NOT be afraid to reach out. Reach out to me, to the people around you.

Fuck cancer.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Thinking about you all this morning.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 9:18:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Hit

In my prayers
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 9:33:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Pup bump

Link Posted: 1/8/2022 9:35:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wow.

I don't know what to say right now.  The wife and I are both floored to be honest.  She really wants to post something from her own account and we are in the process of creating one. We just need site staff to approve it and she'll do so.

In the meantime, I want to take a moment to thank you all. This post might be a bit long, so I understand if you skip it.

TLDR: Just know that we appreciate you. Seriously and sincerely.  Thank you most for the good wishes and prayers.

NOT TLDR:

Ok, here goes - I have to be honest with you - this whole thing makes me incredibly uncomfortable.  I am not one to ask for help and am usually the one who does the helping. I know many of you understand how I feel. But my good friends @AZNetEng  @RINO_Hunter spent the better part of the day talking sense into me.  I was preparing to go at this alone and to sell, mortgage, and liquidate whatever I had to in the process.  They helped me understand that to be hard headed and go about things that way would be selfish to my family and self-serving to my ego. So I relented and let them run with this project.

I'm just going to try to be gracious about this blessing and say thank you - on behalf of my entire family.  You guys are relieving a lot of pressure with your generosity and I'm absolutely floored by the response.

Theres a lot more information about Mila's case in the team thread, but for those of you without access, here are the details:

Mila is 8 years old. She was diagnosed with Stage 2B Osteosarcoma on November 18th. We are fortunate that we caught it before metastasis, because this cancer tends to go to the lungs, and once it gets there.....please just pray it doesn't go there. I don't even want to think about that. Once that diagnosis is made, parents have to start thinking about "making arrangements" for their kid. The kind of arrangements that no parent should have to make.

We found her tumor by a miraculous accident that I will explain later. Or you can read it in the team thread.   We have since been fortunate enough to end up in the care of some amazing doctors in a fantastic hospital.

Mila is 7 weeks into 10 weeks of chemotherapy.   There are 6 sessions in these 10 weeks, and we spend 3-5 days in the hospital for each session.  She is receiving the MAP protocol for those interested in knowing.

She is responding well to the treatment. Very minimal nausea, she's still eating well and keeping her weight up and hasn't developed a fever or needed a blood transfusion yet.

Mila will need surgery to remove the tumor, though. This kind of cancer can't be treated by chemo alone and doesn't respond to radiation. The surgeons are confident that they can save her arm, but she's going to lose a lot of function and there is still a risk of amputation.  They really won't know until they get in there.  

We're struggling to decide on an approach. The prevailing recommendation is a called a vascularized fibular head graft.  @xanadu had it right. They'll probably need to harvest her fibula with the growth plate from her leg and transplant it to her arm.  The other option is mover her ulna to where her radius is.  The whole radius needs to be removed.  Two of the best surgeons in the world have made contradictory recommendations, so its making the decision difficult to reach.

After surgery Mila will need another 6 rounds of chemo in 10 weeks, and it's not uncommon to need another 9 weeks after that.

Our son's situation is a little more straightforward.  He has a growing tumor on his cheek near his jaw.  It looks benign and appears to be in superficial tissues, but it needs to come out (and be biopsied) before it grows into nerves or important blood vessels.

Tony wasn't wrong either.  The costs are significant.  We almost hit our family OOP max in 6 weeks at the end of the year.  And the insurance just reset, so we're on the hook for the entire OOP max again this year. And that's just for the direct Healthcare costs. This ordeal has had a financial impact in many other ways that we couldn't imagine before.

Beyond that,  this whole situation has been extremely stressful, heartbreaking, and an emotional roller-coaster. At one point, Mila looked me in the eye an asked me if she was going to die from cancer.  And I had to stay strong at that moment, smile and say no, absolutely not.  It was the most difficult thing I've ever done in my life and I hope nobody else here ever has to deal with something like that (or deal with that again).

Team - we appreciate your support more than we can communicate.  And we are absolutely convinced that Mila is doing so well because of all the prayers, good vibes, and support being sent her way, so please keep it up!

One more thing - I want to reinforce something very important that Tony said in the GFM post.  Your support will go exclusively to the family's Healthcare costs and expenses directly related to their care. If there is anything left over after this ordeal, it will be paid forward to another worthy family or organization like St. Judes.

If you have any questions just ask.  My wife will be along shortly to say a few words of her own as soon as her account is approved.

View Quote

Chili does not have beans

Guess we’ll have to work on that too.

Men, the reason I badgered Mila’s father about this is because it’s not a normal disease financially speaking. I’m a fairly hard-nosed believer in insurance and deductibles, but the costs above and beyond that are staggering, and no financial product covers them.

Thank you all for helping my friend’s daughter.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 9:37:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Day bump.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Hit/bump

Broward is an awesome dad/husband to his beautiful family.  Arf needs to crush this!

Keep that link on every page!
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Hit
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Done.  You guys got this!  Since we get to post a doggo pic, this is one of my favorites of him.

Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:14:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Thank you gents - nice doggo
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:20:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Why is it so dusty in here!!???

Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Cranking up the Thank You machine! Day 2 is upon us.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:22:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Guess we'll have to work on that too.

Men, the reason I badgered Mila's father about this is because it's not a normal disease financially speaking. I'm a fairly hard-nosed believer in insurance and deductibles, but the costs above and beyond that are staggering, and no financial product covers them.

Thank you all for helping my friend's daughter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow.

NOT TLDR:

Guess we'll have to work on that too.

Men, the reason I badgered Mila's father about this is because it's not a normal disease financially speaking. I'm a fairly hard-nosed believer in insurance and deductibles, but the costs above and beyond that are staggering, and no financial product covers them.

Thank you all for helping my friend's daughter.
We all tried the meat sauce in the house. It was good, but it's still meat sauce. SMH
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:25:05 AM EDT
[#18]
bumpski
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wow.

NOT TLDR:

View Quote

Laughing at the sign. And crying at the same time. God bless you guys, keep up the fight.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:28:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Donated

Prayers sent
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:29:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Donated
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:34:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Cats agree with the dogs on this one, prayers to the family and for a quick recovery!

Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#23]
You guy's rock less than $1000  &5800 to reach goal

Attachment Attached File

CRAP THEY RAISED THE GOAL, MAY HAVE TO ADD MORE

Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:37:29 AM EDT
[#24]
In for $100.

C'mon fellow Tennesseans, make it rain!
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:38:59 AM EDT
[#25]
This is progressing nicely.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:44:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Donated in honor of my daughter, and her mission, expressed on her coffee mug:

Keep it rolling, Arfcom!
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:47:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Donated in honor of my daughter, and her mission, expressed on her coffee mug:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/211357/tiny_humans-2232802.jpg

Keep it rolling, Arfcom!
View Quote
I love that mug.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Sent
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Bump
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Hit.  I'm not rich, but hell - even I can afford $25.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Good morning ARF! We did bump up the overall target another 5k this AM. We launched a Twitter and LinkedIn push and we wanted to make sure we didn't get people clicking on it and not contributing as we closed in on the 15k goal.

Unsurprisingly ARF is at least 87% of all contributions to date.

All of you should have a thank you note in the inbox of whatever email address you used to contribute on GFM.

We cannot express enough gratitude for what you guys and gals have done in less than a day.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Bump
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:13:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Holy shit
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Every donation counts - I personally have sworn off eating $50 worth of Milky Way Midnight bars in order to make a second donation to this VERY WORTHY CAUSE.

BUMP
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:19:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Every donation counts - I personally have sworn off eating $50 worth of Milky Way Midnight bars in order to make a second donation to this VERY WORTHY CAUSE.

BUMP
View Quote
I'll send you a bag
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:22:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Hit. Feel better little one.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#38]
In, and prayers for success!
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:23:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:24:35 AM EDT
[#40]

Outstanding!  Arfcom is incredible.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:29:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Thank you for your donations Brothers!
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:40:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Thanks for sharing this OP.
God bless this family.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:40:35 AM EDT
[#44]

Attachment Attached File
that's freaking incredible.

Bump, lets keep this going!
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:42:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Thank you Brother for your donation!

https://gofund.me/a118b359
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:43:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/1zvslystz4-7.gif that's freaking incredible.

Bump, lets keep this going!
View All Quotes
The 10,500.00 in 2 donations is great. Not as great as the 10, 25, etc donations from ARF though IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:49:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The 10,500.00 in 2 donations is great. Not as great as the 10, 25, etc donations from ARF though IMHO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

100% truth. Every time I look at this thread it gets dusty and it's amazing the difference people can make when they come together.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:55:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

100% truth. Every time I look at this thread it gets dusty and it's amazing the difference people can make when they come together.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As someone close to the family, the $10 donations are the best. Not sure how to explain why except that it’s so easy to NOT donate a “measly” $10, yet it makes all the difference in the world when lots of people do it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top