Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 358
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m having a hard time understanding why Jon’s “claim” to throne even matters if he doesn’t want it.

Cersei doesn’t really have much of claim to it. Yes, she was wife and mother to the previous kings, but wouldn’t the throne go to a male Baratheon heir?

She has the Lannister army, Euron and his fleet, and the golden company. Someone would obviously have to fight her for it or the kingdom would have to revolt.

Dany doesn’t really have a claim. The Targaryen claim to throne ended when Robert Baratheon took it. The only way her “rightful heir” line of thinking works is through conquest. The Baratheon line has to be forcibly removed for her to sit on the throne.

Dany knows her claim to the throne doesn’t mean shit. She’s spent most of the series building an army to take it by force. The only threat Jon is to throne is if she’s a shit queen. If she takes the throne and dies he would be the heir to it. She could take a husband or birth a son and he would be out of the picture.

I understand that the people would support Jon and follow him into battle if he want to exercise his claim. But he doesn’t want the throne and I doubt he would risk their lives for a title he doesn’t want.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:03:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If there are other dragons, wouldn't Bran the incredible know about them? Couldn't he mind control them?
View Quote
Bran only talks when it is obvious or if the writers needed an easy way to get past a problem.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:05:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Good thing I skipped 25 pages of this thread

Fucking spoiler people are the worst. Like that fucktard who ruined Viserion dying

View Quote
Wait, when did he die!?!

Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Felt like a Carol Burnett Show skit where a special guest star pops in for a comedic cameo and then slides back out to uproarious audience laugh track.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get what you are saying, and I think my response above pretty much agrees with your overall characterization of Bronn.   All I can say, is he felt off.  His wit was gone.  Something was off in the way he carried himself.  
Not only that but his delivery was flat and he seemed to be in a rush to get out the door.

Bronn has been one of my favorite characters since he fought for Tyrian at the Eyrie but his performance in episode 4 was definitely embarrassing.
Felt like a Carol Burnett Show skit where a special guest star pops in for a comedic cameo and then slides back out to uproarious audience laugh track.
I asked my wife, once it dawned on me that Bronn had seemingly made a beeline straight thru everything, carrying only a crossbow, to the one room where those 2 were, apropos of jack shit, "WTF? Is that Kramer?" he just busted up in there like he was talking to Jerry and George, then left.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:08:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes he did.
Jon was released from his oath when he was murdered and died.
View Quote
Good point.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:09:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I’m having a hard time understanding why Jon’s “claim” to throne even matters if he doesn’t want it.

Cersei doesn’t really have much of claim to it. Yes, she was wife and mother to the previous kings, but wouldn’t the throne go to a male Baratheon heir?

She has the Lannister army, Euron and his fleet, and the golden company. Someone would obviously have to fight her for it or the kingdom would have to revolt.

Dany doesn’t really have a claim. The Targaryen claim to throne ended when Robert Baratheon took it. The only way her “rightful heir” line of thinking works is through conquest. The Baratheon line has to be forcibly removed for her to sit on the throne.

Dany knows her claim to the throne doesn’t mean shit. She’s spent most of the series building an army to take it by force. The only threat Jon is to throne is if she’s a shit queen. If she takes the throne and dies he would be the heir to it. She could take a husband or birth a son and he would be out of the picture.

I understand that the people would support Jon and follow him into battle if he want to exercise his claim. But he doesn’t want the throne and I doubt he would risk their lives for a title he doesn’t want.
View Quote
Jon has been thrown into leadership positions without wanting them. He is a natural leader of men and men want to follow him.

He may not want to be king, but he will ultimately take the title when enough men say they will follow him and bend the knee despite his protest.

He really doesn’t have a choice at the end of the day. His respect of tradition will force him into the position.

Either that...or Sansa pegs him.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have yet to read a good explanation of why it had to be Jon killing NK and Arya didn't fit the story.  Most complaints are whining and nitpicking.  Fanboys are mad that their theories were wrong and the prophecies didn't come true the way they wanted it to.  The whiners can't make up their minds.  They want nuance and subtlety, but want prophecy to be fulfilled in the most obvious, literal, and predictable way.  They love the books because they are not a cookie cutter version of high fantasy stories, but they want the good guy to battle and defeat the big bad guy predictably like all other fantasy stories.

All the complaints could be applied to Tolkien if the Hobbit or Lotr were published today.

Thorin's whole story revolved around defeating Smaug and getting back his kingdom.  Bard Stole his kill.
Thorin went through a lot of work and pain and suffering, he earned it.
Bard had nothing to do with the story.  He was introduced in the same chapter as he killed Smaug.
He killed Smaug with a family heirloom weapon, oh wait Arya did the same thing.
The whole story was Smaug was the big bad guy, how come defeating him wasn't the final battle and end of the story.

JRRT is a shit writer!!!
View Quote
As I understand the prophecies, they aren't specific enough to conclude it is a specific person, but they are specific enough to create a class of people who could possibly fulfill the "requirements".

Just some of the highlights are that the person to save humanity will be born or reborn amidst the salt and smoke and under a bleeding star. An example of this would be for Jon, D&D clearly show a bloody Dawn with a star on the pommel leaned against the bed Jon is born in (under a bleeding star) while his mother cries (salt). I can't remember what the smoke is in that possible version. Dany is born on Dragonstone with obvious salt and smoke. She is "reborn" by her walking out Khal Drogo's funeral pyre amidst "salt" tears, obvious "smoke" from the fire and she awakens dragons from stone in an obvious fashion.

I'm not an expert on these prophecies obviously. Hopefully someone else will chime in who is better versed on this. But D&D made a point to include some of these elements. I'm not sure why they pay lip service to the prophecies and then ignore them completely in the fulfillment. If they were gonna ignore prophecy, then ignore it completely.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:14:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Only an unworthy man leaves his dog/dire wolf behind. Especially one that has fought loyally beside him in the past.
View Quote
I would rather discuss the morality of “rape” in a medieval fantasy show than the morality of pet owners.

He was going south and dire wolves don’t fare well south. Sending Ghost north with Thormund was literally the best thing that could happen for him.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
What about Gendry?

He never any claim to the throne as the illegitimate son of Robert Baratheon.

But now he is Lord Gendry Baratheon of Storms End, son of King Robert Baratheon. Dani made him legitimate, and did so in front of a room full of witnesses.

So, could this come back to bite her?
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:16:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I asked my wife, once it dawned on me that Bronn had seemingly made a beeline straight thru everything, carrying only a crossbow, to the one room where those 2 were, apropos of jack shit, "WTF? Is that Kramer?" he just busted up in there like he was talking to Jerry and George, then left.
View Quote
It's because the writers think about what they need to happen on the show at a macro level, and the minor details don't matter to them so much.

Bronn shows up sure, but he acts out of character. He's got the crossbow from previous episodes, but now it suddenly can be reloaded with one hand in 2 seconds.
The logic of the scene doesn't matter, only the effect on the story.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well the Targaryen's still played into Robert's claim as the Baratheons were descended from the Targaryens. Otherwise Ned's, Jon Arryn's and Robert's three claims would've otherwise been somewhat equal as the Lords of Great Houses leading a rebellion together. You could argue Jon Arryn's would have been best as the most elder and experienced among the three. Or Ned's by taking King's Landing as the leader of the armies. As Jaime said, all Ned had to do was climb the steps.

To sum it up, Ned, Jon Arryn and Robert all had a claim by conquest. Robert's was deemed superior by a mix of conquest and Targaryen blood.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:17:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Jon has been thrown into leadership positions without wanting them. He is a natural leader of men and men want to follow him.

He may not want to be king, but he will ultimately take the title when enough men say they will follow him and bend the knee despite his protest.

He really doesn't have a choice at the end of the day. His respect of tradition will force him into the position.

View Quote
The whole thing is just stupid.  The whole point of a character arc is that character grows and changes in a meaningful way.  Jon should be way past "I don't want it" now.

But as of last episode the writing is so bad we have anti-character arcs.

Tormund.  Guess I'll just go north again, bye.
Sam.  I'm going to Castle Black for literally no reason.
Sandor and Arya.  We're going back on the road because people liked that a couple of seasons ago.  Maybe we'll get some chickens.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:21:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I went back and checked and yes I believe he was carrying this crossbow in the scene where he had shot the girl repeatedly.

But in the earlier scene where he threatens her and makes her beat the other whore, it's a different, less ornate and much larger crossbow. That he cocks with a removable crank.

So this one had to have appeared somewhere in between the time he discovers how much he likes abusing whores and the time where he actually starts killing them.
View Quote
He had it specially made some time before his wedding to Margaery...  like I wrote a page ago, there was a whole scene where he's showing it to her before the wedding, letting her shoot it, and explaining the "new" speedy cocking lever.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
He had it specially made some time before his wedding to Margaery...  like I wrote a page ago, there was a whole scene where he's showing it to her before the wedding, letting her shoot it, and explaining the "new" speedy cocking lever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went back and checked and yes I believe he was carrying this crossbow in the scene where he had shot the girl repeatedly.

But in the earlier scene where he threatens her and makes her beat the other whore, it's a different, less ornate and much larger crossbow. That he cocks with a removable crank.

So this one had to have appeared somewhere in between the time he discovers how much he likes abusing whores and the time where he actually starts killing them.
I must have missed that scene, but my watching was spotty then. Was this before or after the dead redhead?
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:29:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

He really doesn’t have a choice at the end of the day. His respect of tradition will force him into the position.

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Bran only talks when it is obvious or if the writers needed an easy way to get past a problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If there are other dragons, wouldn't Bran the incredible know about them? Couldn't he mind control them?
Bran's character pisses me off.  He could help them out so much but instead he just sits there with that smug smile.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Dany actually explains that pretty well in their scene together.  Even if he doesn't want it, others won't accept her claim and will press Jon into asserting his.  It will fraction the kingdom.  Varys and Tyrion were already discussing it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I have yet to read a good explanation of why it had to be Jon killing NK and Arya didn't fit the story.  Most complaints are whining and nitpicking.  Fanboys are mad that their theories were wrong and the prophecies didn't come true the way they wanted it to.  The whiners can't make up their minds.  They want nuance and subtlety, but want prophecy to be fulfilled in the most obvious, literal, and predictable way.  They love the books because they are not a cookie cutter version of high fantasy stories, but they want the good guy to battle and defeat the big bad guy predictably like all other fantasy stories.

All the complaints could be applied to Tolkien if the Hobbit or Lotr were published today.

Thorin's whole story revolved around defeating Smaug and getting back his kingdom.  Bard Stole his kill.
Bard had nothing to do with the story.  He was introduced in the same chapter as he killed Smaug.
The whole story was Smaug was the big bad guy, how come defeating him wasn't the final battle and end of the story.

JRRT is a shit writer!!!
View Quote
The dagger wasn’t a family heirloom. It had been the family for a few weeks/months at that point.

Jon’s entire story had been building up for a battle against the night king.

Arya literally appeared out of thin air to make the kill. She had never seen the undead, white walkers, or the night king. She could have just as easily wasted her chance killing a random white walker because she has no fucking idea what the night king looks like.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:31:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get what you are saying, and I think my response above pretty much agrees with your overall characterization of Bronn.   All I can say, is he felt off.  His wit was gone.  Something was off in the way he carried himself.  
Not only that but his delivery was flat and he seemed to be in a rush to get out the door.

Bronn has been one of my favorite characters since he fought for Tyrian at the Eyrie but his performance in episode 4 was definitely embarrassing.
It came across to me as though they had to go back and refilm his scenes in a rush because they changed the story in the middle of filming this season.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I must have missed that scene, but my watching was spotty then. Was this before or after the dead redhead?
View Quote
before

but there was also an earlier whore that died in Geoffrey's bedchamber, but I think it was a different weapon... and during a threesome
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:35:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
I get that. That’s why I said all dragontits had to do was not be a shit queen. No one ever started a rebellion because they liked who was in charge.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:39:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Three minutes in
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let's try this again.

Discussing the content of the leaked spoilers in any way, is not allowed in this thread.
Wait, I thought I understood but maybe not. You're saying we can't discuss spoilers here at all, even if hidden in spoiler tags?
No spoilers in this thread, even hidden by the tags. Yes I know that is what the spoiler tag is supposed to be for, but they're becoming a disruption to the thread.

If people want to discuss that kind of thing, they can start a new thread for that sole purpose.
https://66.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb5as0BXHE1qeixlc.gif

Done deal.
That thread is now here:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-GOT-Season8-Rumors-spoilers-and-related-theories-thread/5-2218544/
VA gunnut, that spoiler thread was locked and now  put back into THIS one.
Can we get a SCOTUS decision on where they belong?
The spoiler thread is now here:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/-GOT-Season8-Rumors-spoilers-and-related-theories-thread-Now-with-memes-poll/5-2218544/

Spoilers are STILL behind spoiler tags.
Thread has memes, and a GOT approval poll.

I realized as much as I would want to participate in throwing out theories here?
The people who would lose it on me for "posting spoilers" (that no one knows if they're real), wouldn't know if what I'm saying is a spoiler or NOT, because they haven't read them.

They could not differentiate between what I'm saying makes sense given the episodes, or if I'm leaning on what is flying around the web.
It's best if I don't post theories here, because, for better or worse - while I didn't write them, I'm now spoiler guy.
I will leave so you kneelers can keep your HBO theories alive.

Everyone who wants to go beyond the wall, you know the thread.

That said here's my theory on why Euron is looking up surprised.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The whole thing is just stupid.  The whole point of a character arc is that character grows and changes in a meaningful way.  Jon should be way past "I don't want it" now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZllXh-4eZ14

Sandor and Arya.  We're going back on the road because people liked that a couple of seasons ago.  Maybe we'll get some chickens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He really doesn't have a choice at the end of the day. His respect of tradition will force him into the position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZllXh-4eZ14

Mmmmmmmmmm! Chicken!
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:42:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What about Gendry?

He never any claim to the throne as the illegitimate son of Robert Baratheon.

But now he is Lord Gendry Baratheon of Storms End, son of King Robert Baratheon. Dani made him legitimate, and did so in front of a room full of witnesses.

So, could this come back to bite her?
View Quote
Gendry is only legitimate and lord of storms end if Dany takes the throne. If she loses that title doesn’t mean shit. Cersei will get to decide who the lord of storms end is.

If Dany wins it ends the Baratheon claim to the throne. Sure he could start a rebellion like his father did. But as long and Dany isn’t a shit queen there’s no reason to rebel.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
before

but there was also an earlier whore that died in Geoffrey's bedchamber, but I think it was a different weapon... and during a threesome
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

before

Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
As I understand the prophecies, they aren't specific enough to conclude it is a specific person, but they are specific enough to create a class of people who could possibly fulfill the "requirements".

Just some of the highlights are that the person to save humanity will be born or reborn amidst the salt and smoke and under a bleeding star. An example of this would be for Jon, D&D clearly show a bloody Dawn with a star on the pommel leaned against the bed Jon is born in (under a bleeding star) while his mother cries (salt). I can't remember what the smoke is in that possible version. Dany is born on Dragonstone with obvious salt and smoke. She is "reborn" by her walking out Khal Drogo's funeral pyre amidst "salt" tears, obvious "smoke" from the fire and she awakens dragons from stone in an obvious fashion.

I'm not an expert on these prophecies obviously. Hopefully someone else will chime in who is better versed on this. But D&D made a point to include some of these elements. I'm not sure why they pay lip service to the prophecies and then ignore them completely in the fulfillment. If they were gonna ignore prophecy, then ignore it completely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

JRRT is a shit writer!!!

Azor Ahai is never mentioned in the show.  The legend of him and rebirth is combined with the prophecy of the prince that was promised.  The books have much more depth of the prophecies and they are mentioned a lot more, but there is debate among the readers whether AA reborn is the same as the Prince that was Promised (TPTWP).  Mel believe that Stannis was TPTWP and both of them tried to force fulfill the prophecy on him.  When Stannis failed and died Mel thought Jon was TPTWP.  Dany and some priestesses in Essos think she is TPTWP.

The question is, should prophecy play a large part in the story where there is a big payoff in the end because the clues point to Jon Snow and he is the big hero in the end?

Here is what the author has to say about prophecy:
Prophecy is one of those tropes of Fantasy that is fun to play with, but it can easily turn into a straightjacket if you're not careful. One of the themes of my fiction, since the very beginning, is that the characters must make their choices, for good or ill. And making choices is hard. There are prophecies in my Seven Kingdoms, but their meanings are often murky and misleading, and they seldom offer the characters much in the way of useful guidance.
Prophecies are, you know, a double edge sword. You have to handle them very carefully; I mean, they can add depth and interest to a book, but you don’t want to be too literal or too easy... In the Wars of the Roses, that you mentioned, there was one Lord who had been prophesied he would die beneath the walls of a certain castle and he was superstitious at that sort of walls, so he never came anyway near that castle. He stayed thousands of leagues away from that particular castle because of the prophecy. However, he was killed in the first battle of St. Paul de Vence and when they found him dead he was outside of an inn whose sign was the picture of that castle! [Laughs] So you know? That’s the way prophecies come true in unexpected ways. The more you try to avoid them, the more you are making them true, and I make a little fun with that.
and a very appropriate and relevant to recent events quote by Tyrion in the books,
Prophecy is like a half-trained mule. It looks as though it might be useful, but the moment you trust in it, it kicks you in the head.
It is completely out of character for GRRM's writing for there to be such obvious clues and setup for Jon to be TPTWP and personally kill the NK.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:56:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Dany actually explains that pretty well in their scene together.  Even if he doesn't want it, others won't accept her claim and will press Jon into asserting his.  It will fraction the kingdom.  Varys and Tyrion were already discussing it.
View Quote
I must know nothing like Jon.

Let’s say Dany takes throne by conquest. As long as she’s not a shit queen why would the people raise an army to overthrow her?

I imagine the conversation would go like this:

People: Jon your the rightful heir, let’s go to war to put you on the throne!

Jon: she’s got a dragon and an army of eunuchs and rapists. She has the support of Dorne and Storms End. How many of you want to die because she skipped me in line?

People: fuck we forgot about that. We’ll just wait for her to die.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The dagger wasn’t a family heirloom. It had been the family for a few weeks/months at that point.

Jon’s entire story had been building up for a battle against the night king.

Arya literally appeared out of thin air to make the kill. She had never seen the undead, white walkers, or the night king. She could have just as easily wasted her chance killing a random white walker because she has no fucking idea what the night king looks like.
View Quote
The Old Testament was fan service.

There is no way a boy who spend his life playing with a sling to protect his sheep from wolves could kill a giant.  David had never even seen or heard of a giant before.

King Saul should have had a warrior that trained his whole life to fight giants kill Goliath.  That would be unpredictable and good writing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

There is no way a boy who spend his life playing with a sling to protect his sheep from wolves could kill a giant.  David had never even seen or heard of a giant before.

King Saul should have had a warrior that trained his whole life to fight giants kill Goliath.  That would be unpredictable and good writing.
View Quote
Thanks. That really cleared it up for me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Slings were potent weapons.  Ancient armies such as Alexander's employed lots of slingers as missile troops.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 1:21:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 1:23:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Azor Ahai is never mentioned in the show.  The legend of him and rebirth is combined with the prophecy of the prince that was promised.  The books have much more depth of the prophecies and they are mentioned a lot more, but there is debate among the readers whether AA reborn is the same as the Prince that was Promised (TPTWP).  Mel believe that Stannis was TPTWP and both of them tried to force fulfill the prophecy on him.  When Stannis failed and died Mel thought Jon was TPTWP.  Dany and some priestesses in Essos think she is TPTWP.

The question is, should prophecy play a large part in the story where there is a big payoff in the end because the clues point to Jon Snow and he is the big hero in the end?

Here is what the author has to say about prophecy:

and a very appropriate and relevant to recent events quote by Tyrion in the books,

It is completely out of character for GRRM's writing for there to be such obvious clues and setup for Jon to be TPTWP and personally kill the NK.
View Quote
Prophecy is a bit like time travel for an author. It's risky and difficult to pull off properly. You're introducing an element that subverts fundamental concepts of storytelling, causality, agency, consequence, rationality and so on. What makes it even more dangerous is half your audience believes prophecy is a real thing in the real world, so they have expectations about how it plays out and it's really easy to lose half your audience whether they realize that's what bothers them or not.

Good fiction takes advantage, you get characters acting irrationally due to the prophecy with horrific consequences, and yet through those actions they bring about some version of the prophecy themselves that subverts the expectations of the characters and the audience. That way everyone finds it satisfying and it doesn't challenge anyone's worldview.

Harry Potter is a perfect example of this, JKR actually pulled it off with a satisfying resolution. GRRM seems to understand it from the quotes. D&D don't.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Slings were potent weapons.  Ancient armies such as Alexander's employed lots of slingers as missile troops.
View Quote
this doesn't really stand up to empirical testing IIRC.  the people who have tested it have uniformly shown that shepherds' slings could provide some painful hits, but not serious injuries.

basically a harassment weapon.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Some maester needs to show up with the formula for black powder within the next two episodes.

"This is my BOOM STICK!"
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 2:07:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Some maester needs to show up with the formula for black powder within the next two episodes.

"This is my BOOM STICK!"
View Quote
They already have the green explody fire liquid. That's how I predict everyone will live until the last 5 minutes of the series cuz lefties have feelz and we gotta keep the main characters alive until the bitter end.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 2:08:57 PM EDT
[#37]
The writing this season is illogical and aggravating. It's not quite on the level of the last Star Wars movie, which was so bad that it made me stop caring about the story completely and swear off the future films, but it's getting there. There are too many things that just don't make sense and completely depart from major plot points the prior seasons established. Here are some of the more egregious examples that come to mind:

1. Dothraki cavalry charge right up the middle at the very beginning of the battle against the undead army. Who would do this? Jon is supposed to be an experienced commander who's been trained in battle tactics and military history since he was a boy. We learned this about him during the Castle Black battle and when he came up with the strategy for the Battle of the Bastards. Sure, he doesn't always stick to the plan, but it's never been suggested that he would come up with a retarded plan from the get-go. If the writers decided that the Dothraki cavalry had to be wiped out, that still could have happened without Jon defying well-known military tactics.

2. No one is interested in learning what Bran knows. This is mind-boggling. Bran's character arc has established him as a living crystal ball, someone who knows literally everything about the past and present. At one point, he suggested that the NK has repeatedly tried to eliminate the 3ER, but was defeated each time. Someone asked, "Can he be killed by dragon fire?" Brain replied, "I don't know, no one has ever tried." Why the hell did no one ask, "Well, how was he defeated on all of the other occasions? Maybe we could learn from that!" And if you're about to go to war against Cersei, Bran can tell you everything the other side is planning, reveal the war council's private discussions, report on enemy movements, identify weaknesses, etc. Having god-level surveillance on your enemy is such a major advantage that it would almost be impossible to lose. But no one seems the slightest bit interested in asking him for that information.

3. Dany's dragon is killed because she can't see a fleet of ships, apparently. Bran could have told everyone that Euron's fleet was waiting for Dany at Dragonstone with ballista intended to kill her dragons, but even if he didn't, how the hell did Dany not see the fleet with her own eyes when she's literally in the clouds conducting aerial reconnaissance? She knows Cersei has those weapons because one of them nailed Dragon last season. Again, even if the writers decided that a second dragon had to die, why did it have to happen in a nonsensical way? And why wouldn't Dany just circle around the fleet and torch the ships from behind right at that very moment?

4. Up until now, Dany's advisors had her convinced that she could only win the war for the Iron Throne by not killing any civilians at all. The idea seems to be that, even though you have dragons, and we know Aegon the Conqueror subjugated Westeros by deploying his dragons in battle, YOU CANNOT USE YOUR DRAGONS TO TAKE KING'S LANDING BECAUSE PEOPLE MIGHT DIE. This is completely unrealistic. In any siege of a fortified population center, people are going to die. The civilians will be enlisted to fight you, because you are the invader. We saw this in the Battle of Blackwater Bay, when Tyrion rallied all the men and boys in the city to fight off Stannis' forces. Why in the world would he or anyone else think that it's possible to capture a city without any civilian casualties, or that it's a good idea in war NOT TO USE the one thing that gives you an overwhelming advantage over your enemy? Hell, if she just flew her dragons up to the Red Keep and torched the high command, that would end the war quickly and with much fewer casualties than a long, drawn-out siege.

5. Cersei is supposed to be totally ruthless, but she doesn't think to kill Dany and her commanders during a parley when they only had a force of a couple hundred at most. Why would she not fire the 87 ballista at Dany and her sole remaining dragon from the walls of King's Landing and send in cavalry to take out the survivors? Why would Dany put herself in such a vulnerable situation to begin with? None of it makes sense. The last time we saw Dany go to King's Landing she took her entire army with her to wait outside, as a deterrent to attack. Now she shows up with a pathetic force, and Cersei doesn't think, "This is a really good opportunity to take her out here and now"?

I sincerely hope the last two episodes are better than (or at least make more sense than) the first four, but I'm not holding my breath.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#38]
welp the last episode shows clearly that d and d have run out of plots and dialog and now are in a rush to conclude the show.  the episode was chock full of out of character scenes with the only point being to get the remaining characters lined up for the final acts,

gendry whines, ghost gets a new owner, tormund and sam exit stage left, jamie decides he really prefers his sister to the big woman, they get rid of an extra dragon to reduce cgi costs, eron (or whatever his name is) destroys danerys's navy but doesnt finish off the survivors, varys decides his queen needs to be put down. the hound and arya go back on tour.

it was all rushed. its obvious that the showrunners have run out of story and doing the right thing which is wrapping the whole thing up. the reason for the limited number of episodes this season is obvious. they are simply out of material. grrm has completely lost is train of thought about the series also.

ive enjoyed the series. its been very good, but once d and d got out in front of grrm the series was done. the really interesting play between the various characters was replaced by some action, some of which was outstanding (battle of the bastards). oh well.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

this doesn't really stand up to empirical testing IIRC.  the people who have tested it have uniformly shown that shepherds' slings could provide some painful hits, but not serious injuries.

basically a harassment weapon.
View Quote
David was basically a war band leader, so he was probably using a war sling, which could be very effective.

The Roman slingers would have exacted a heavy toll. Recent experiments conducted in Germany showed that a 50-gram Roman bullet hurled by a trained slinger has only slightly less stopping power than a .44 magnum cartridge fired from a handgun. Other tests revealed that a trained slinger could hit a target smaller than a human being from 130 yards away. "That's exactly the distance from the front rampart of the south [Roman] camp to the front rampart of the hill fort," Reid noted.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/05/ancient-slingshot-lethal-44-magnum-scotland/
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
David was basically a war band leader, so he was probably using a war sling, which could be very effective.

The Roman slingers would have exacted a heavy toll. Recent experiments conducted in Germany showed that a 50-gram Roman bullet hurled by a trained slinger has only slightly less stopping power than a .44 magnum cartridge fired from a handgun. Other tests revealed that a trained slinger could hit a target smaller than a human being from 130 yards away. "That's exactly the distance from the front rampart of the south [Roman] camp to the front rampart of the hill fort," Reid noted.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/05/ancient-slingshot-lethal-44-magnum-scotland/
View Quote
Wow. I had no idea they hit that hard.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
welp the last episode shows clearly that d and d have run out of plots and dialog and now are in a rush to conclude the show.  the episode was chock full of out of character scenes with the only point being to get the remaining characters lined up for the final acts,

gendry whines, ghost gets a new owner, tormund and sam exit stage left, jamie decides he really prefers his sister to the big woman, they get rid of an extra dragon to reduce cgi costs, eron (or whatever his name is) destroys danerys's navy but doesnt finish off the survivors, varys decides his queen needs to be put down. the hound and arya go back on tour.

it was all rushed. its obvious that the showrunners have run out of story and doing the right thing which is wrapping the whole thing up. the reason for the limited number of episodes this season is obvious. they are simply out of material. grrm has completely lost is train of thought about the series also.

ive enjoyed the series. its been very good, but once d and d got out in front of grrm the series was done. the really interesting play between the various characters was replaced by some action, some of which was outstanding (battle of the bastards). oh well.
View Quote
That's a bingo.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 2:34:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Didn't he give that up when he joined the Night Watch? Of course so did John Snow, so we'll see how that goes as the show continues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, it doesn't look like anyone has recognized Sam as the new Lord Tarly. And he needs to wed Gilly so.he has an heir.
Didn't he give that up when he joined the Night Watch? Of course so did John Snow, so we'll see how that goes as the show continues.
Jon died and if Jon or Dany end up ruling they could make Sam Lord of Horn Hill.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Good thing I skipped 25 pages of this thread

Fucking spoiler people are the worst. Like that fucktard who ruined Viserion dying

View Quote
I remember that.  I personally didn't see it until after the episode, but I recall him being like "oops, sorry, I thought everyone here already knew."
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 2:45:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That's a bingo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a bingo.
I consider this comment last ep be enigmatic of the writers throwing shade at GRRM since they have realized they have no plotting capability and they miss his dialog, and the guy could have dumped some new material in the mix the last few years that would have made their lives easier, but he didn't:

Davos:  "The Lord of Light.   We play his game for him; we fight his war - and win.  And then....   he fucks off.  No signs, no blessings ...   Who knows what he wants?"
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#45]
I bet GRRM is watching all of this nerd rage and hate and realizes he'll be next if he doesn't satisfy the popular fan theories.

As he starts TWOW rewrite #927
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 3:00:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think that Sansa told Tyrion about Jon on purpose, to sow discord in Dany's ranks. She learned a lot from Littlefinger
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I think that Sansa told Tyrion about Jon on purpose, to sow discord in Dany's ranks. She learned a lot from Littlefinger
View Quote
Yup, Jon tried swearing her and Arya to secrecy. No way that wasn't getting leaked.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You still need the separate lever, which bronn didnt have.

Link Posted: 5/7/2019 3:39:08 PM EDT
[#49]
I like this reasoning for Euron being the one to kill Cersei.

Don’t let crazy stick it in you.

Link Posted: 5/7/2019 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Ozzy Man Reviews: Game of Thrones - Season 8 Episode 4
Page / 358
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top