Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 358
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 4:12:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Game of Thrones Season 8 Episode 4 Review: "Last of the Starks" Was the LAST STRAW! (SPOILERS!)
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 4:13:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So how is Dany gonna use Drogon better when you just slayed her in the sentence above the last one?

Are you one of the show's writers?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not spoilers, since I don't have any sources other than my opinion....

Brienne will become the "QueenSlayer".  She will strike down Dany as she says "dracarys - everyone".

Bran will bring back the armor and harness that the Targaryen's used hundreds of years ago, allowing Dany to utilize Drogon better.  Bran also has a worg line on another dragon.
So how is Dany gonna use Drogon better when you just slayed her in the sentence above the last one?

Are you one of the show's writers?
Episodes are 1.5hrs, Euron definitely sees a dragon coming for the fleet....the fleet is guarding the perimeter of Kings Landing.  Are you one of the autistic dolts who can't see how one thing can happen as well as another?

She must use Drogon to secure the Red Keep at Kings Landing.  She will indicate that her plan is to burn everyone.  She is already Queen to Brienne, Jon, Tyrion, et al.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Episodes are 1.5hrs, Euron definitely sees a dragon coming for the fleet....the fleet is guarding the perimeter of Kings Landing.  Are you one of the autistic dolts who can't see how one thing can happen as well as another?

She must use Drogon to secure the Red Keep at Kings Landing.  She will indicate that her plan is to burn everyone.  She is already Queen to Brienne, Jon, Tyrion, et al.
View Quote
I'm not the one who posted a moronic conflicting post. Maybe you should have posted that sentence first like a normal person following a real time line. It read like you couldn't keep your thoughts together from one sentence to another...

Sorry, not sorry...
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 4:38:08 PM EDT
[#4]
There is an excerpt from Fire and Blood on GRRM's site that has a cool bit about the protections built into the wall against magical creatures.  I guess D&D thought this wasn't important enough to include in the show

http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2018/09/27/a-fire-blood-excerpt-just-for-you/

The men of the Night’s Watch were as thunderstruck by the queen’s dragon as the people of White Harbor had been, though the queen herself noted that Silverwing “does not like this Wall.” Though it was summer and the Wall was weeping, the chill of the ice could still be felt whenever the wind blew, and every gust would make the dragon hiss and snap. “Thrice I flew Silverwing high above Castle Black, and thrice I tried to take her north beyond the Wall,” Alysanne wrote to Jaehaerys, “but every time she veered back south again and refused to go. Never before has she refused to take me where I wished to go. I laughed about it when I came down again, so the black brothers would not realize anything was amiss, but it troubled me then and it troubles me still.”
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm not the one who posted a moronic conflicting post. Maybe you should have posted that sentence first like a normal person following a real time line. It read like you couldn't keep your thoughts together from one sentence to another...

Sorry, not sorry...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, not sorry...
So yes, you are an autistic dolt.  Got it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 4:49:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes, there was a contingent clause that indicated the timing of each thing.  The list could have been 100 items with contigent clauses that indicated timing of each, and people, above idiot level IQ, could figure them out, and place them chronologically.

Apparently you couldn't...
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, not sorry...
He's right. Your post was retarded in its form. Stop digging.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

He's right. Your post was retarded in its form. Stop digging.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have yet to read a good explanation of why it had to be Jon killing NK and Arya didn't fit the story.  Most complaints are whining and nitpicking.  Fanboys are mad that their theories were wrong and the prophecies didn't come true the way they wanted it to.  The whiners can't make up their minds.  They want nuance and subtlety, but want prophecy to be fulfilled in the most obvious, literal, and predictable way.  They love the books because they are not a cookie cutter version of high fantasy stories, but they want the good guy to battle and defeat the big bad guy predictably like all other fantasy stories.

All the complaints could be applied to Tolkien if the Hobbit or Lotr were published today.

Thorin's whole story revolved around defeating Smaug and getting back his kingdom.  Bard Stole his kill.
Thorin went through a lot of work and pain and suffering, he earned it.
Bard had nothing to do with the story.  He was introduced in the same chapter as he killed Smaug.
He killed Smaug with a family heirloom weapon, oh wait Arya did the same thing.
The whole story was Smaug was the big bad guy, how come defeating him wasn't the final battle and end of the story.

JRRT is a shit writer!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your post is spot on, and I think what the vast majority of folks are feeling. Many accusations pages back, when Arya killed the NK and not Jon, about how we were just whiny tits that didn’t see the value/appeal in it being Arya, of that some didn’t like Arya. All of which couldn’t be further from the truth. If I had to guess, I’d wager that Arya would probably poll in the top five of folks favorites here, it wasn’t that folks didn’t like Arya killing the NK because she was a girl, or that those complaining didn’t like her, it was, as you said, out of place, and done simply to subvert expectations, wasting the value of the story.
I have yet to read a good explanation of why it had to be Jon killing NK and Arya didn't fit the story.  Most complaints are whining and nitpicking.  Fanboys are mad that their theories were wrong and the prophecies didn't come true the way they wanted it to.  The whiners can't make up their minds.  They want nuance and subtlety, but want prophecy to be fulfilled in the most obvious, literal, and predictable way.  They love the books because they are not a cookie cutter version of high fantasy stories, but they want the good guy to battle and defeat the big bad guy predictably like all other fantasy stories.

All the complaints could be applied to Tolkien if the Hobbit or Lotr were published today.

Thorin's whole story revolved around defeating Smaug and getting back his kingdom.  Bard Stole his kill.
Thorin went through a lot of work and pain and suffering, he earned it.
Bard had nothing to do with the story.  He was introduced in the same chapter as he killed Smaug.
He killed Smaug with a family heirloom weapon, oh wait Arya did the same thing.
The whole story was Smaug was the big bad guy, how come defeating him wasn't the final battle and end of the story.

JRRT is a shit writer!!!
Tolkien did it as a semi-joke because he wrote how nobody ever explained in the stories sufficiently how to kill a dragon (outside of the obvious but impractical like Sigurd). So he created a Deus Ex Machina deliberately because it served his story, just like Dumb and Dumber except they had no self-awareness and were not joking.

Glad you agree that it was contrived.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Why didn’t any of the dragons crap out any eggs?  I know they all had male names but were they all male?  I never saw any dragon dong flopping around.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#13]
So you guys think Daenerys is toast next episode or what?
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why didn’t any of the dragons crap out any eggs?  I know they all had male names but were they all male?  I never saw any dragon dong flopping around.
View Quote
Seems like GRRM is pulling a Tolkien and slowly stamping out magic in the world and leaving it to the devices of men, but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#15]
For those that have been looking too deeply into the show:

Am I the only one that was disappointed that there was no smoke or flames when the dragon was shot down
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 6:31:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think their sort of asexual. Don’t they have the ability to change sexes?
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 6:37:33 PM EDT
[#17]
These episodes feel very rushed to me. Seems like they are trying to squeeze into a 90 minute episode what should have been two, hour long episodes.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#18]
One positive this season has done better than any other season: Emilia Clarke's acting.

It's not up there with the show's heavy hitters or anything, but I think it's a definite improvement.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 6:43:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#20]
"Dragons are neither male nor female, Barth saw the truth of that, but now one and now the other, as changeable as flame."
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
These episodes feel very rushed to me. Seems like they are trying to squeeze into a 90 minute episode what should have been two, hour long episodes.
View Quote
It wouldn't have mattered though. What we are seeing is the result of bad and lazy writing.  All more episodes/time would do would be to add more lazy and poorly written filler.

If it this is the quality Dumb and Dumber are going to give us I'd rather they just end the series ASAP.

Link Posted: 5/7/2019 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
One positive this season has done better than any other season: Emilia Clarke's acting.

It's not up there with the show's heavy hitters or anything, but I think it's a definite improvement.
View Quote
I think Opie hired an acting coach when he took over production of Solo.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I remember that.  I personally didn't see it until after the episode, but I recall him being like "oops, sorry, I thought everyone here already knew."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good thing I skipped 25 pages of this thread

Fucking spoiler people are the worst. Like that fucktard who ruined Viserion dying

I remember that.  I personally didn't see it until after the episode, but I recall him being like "oops, sorry, I thought everyone here already knew."
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
There is a 50% chance she dies next episode, and if not, there is 99% chance she dies the episode after that.  

I think they'll save her death for the climax, whenever that is.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There is a 50% chance she dies next episode, and if not, there is 99% chance she dies the episode after that.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm really, REALLY hoping that she turns out to be a raging cunt just for all the people who got tattoos of her or named their daughters after her
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Lol, needs to be on a shirt!
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm really, REALLY hoping that she turns out to be a raging cunt just for all the people who got tattoos of her or named their daughters after her
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I said it before and I'll say it again.

Link Posted: 5/7/2019 7:29:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I also think its hilarious how some of the same people defending the episode 3 writing for "subverting expectations" with Arya getting the NK kill are now bitching about the bad writing after Dumb and Dumber did their SJW queen dirty.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Seems like GRRM is pulling a Tolkien and slowly stamping out magic in the world and leaving it to the devices of men, but I could be wrong.
View Quote
Yeah, I think he said at one time that ending the unnatural seasons was part of the plot.  Translated into D&D "Hurr, durr magic ballista."
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I’m half hoping they butcher this season so badly HBO brings it back for season 9 with new directors in hopes of redeeming themselves.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 7:33:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Lol, needs to be on a shirt!
View All Quotes

This made me laugh.

Link Posted: 5/7/2019 7:57:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Someone over on r/totalwar posted this.  It is a historical example of a great general (Belisarius of the Eastern Roman Empire) fighting a similar engagement as in Winterfell against a numerically superior enemy.

Attachment Attached File

Things to note.

1. Hunnish cavalry (i.e. real life Dothraki) are behind the entrenchments, not charging in the middle.
2. Entrenchment designed to funnel enemy into double-envelopment.  
3. Entrenchment has designed gaps to funnel enemy and allow counter-attacks.  
4. City walls lined with archers.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Where are you guys seeing 90 minute episodes? From what I saw the last 2 were 80 minutes, and the 1st 2 were 50 minutes.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hadn't thought of that. Count me on this bandwagon.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#37]
On the positive side, they haven't fucked up Hot Pie's character this season.  I mean, that's only because he's not in this season, but small blessings.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:49:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I’m having a hard time understanding why Jon’s “claim” to throne even matters if he doesn’t want it.

Cersei doesn’t really have much of claim to it. Yes, she was wife and mother to the previous kings, but wouldn’t the throne go to a male Baratheon heir?

She has the Lannister army, Euron and his fleet, and the golden company. Someone would obviously have to fight her for it or the kingdom would have to revolt.

Dany doesn’t really have a claim. The Targaryen claim to throne ended when Robert Baratheon took it. The only way her “rightful heir” line of thinking works is through conquest. The Baratheon line has to be forcibly removed for her to sit on the throne.

Dany knows her claim to the throne doesn’t mean shit. She’s spent most of the series building an army to take it by force. The only threat Jon is to throne is if she’s a shit queen. If she takes the throne and dies he would be the heir to it. She could take a husband or birth a son and he would be out of the picture.

I understand that the people would support Jon and follow him into battle if he want to exercise his claim. But he doesn’t want the throne and I doubt he would risk their lives for a title he doesn’t want.
View Quote
Robert was put on the throne because he has Targaryen blood through his grandmother, and nobody knew Daenerys and Viserys (and Aegon for that matter) were alive.

Yes, he conquered, but that’s not the only reason he took the throne.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:55:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Someone over on r/totalwar posted this.  It is a historical example of a great general (Belisarius of the Eastern Roman Empire) fighting a similar engagement as in Winterfell against a numerically superior enemy.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/61337/Battle_of_Dara-battleplan_png-937930.JPG

Things to note.

1. Hunnish cavalry (i.e. real life Dothraki) are behind the entrenchments, not charging in the middle.
2. Entrenchment designed to funnel enemy into double-envelopment.  
3. Entrenchment has designed gaps to funnel enemy and allow counter-attacks.  
4. City walls lined with archers.
View Quote
At the very least, it should be a simple tactic, when faced with a attacker of greater numbers funnel them to a choke point so they can’t take advantage of their numbers.

Also, the Night King has some control of his army, but for the most part the army of the dead didn’t seem to have much individual intelligence. It seems this could have been used to a greater advantage. And if any hit from a dragon glass weapon = instant death, it seems like they could have used this more to their advantage also. More arrows, a barrier you can stab through with a long spear, set up a maze in the castle where you can attack from afar.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:59:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Dragons are male and female.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 9:23:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Robert was put on the throne because he has Targaryen blood through his grandmother, and nobody knew Daenerys and Viserys (and Aegon for that matter) were alive.

Yes, he conquered, but that's not the only reason he took the throne.
View Quote
Robert having a Targaryen grandmother didn't factor in at all. It's pointed out in the books that after Jaime killed Aerys, either Ned or Tywin also could have moved to take the throne before Robert got to King's Landing. Robert was placed in the position to take the crown because he was the main agreived party when Rhaegar "kidnapped" Lyana, and he led the forces that gathered to fight the Targaryens
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 9:25:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Ok that's the best so far.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 9:32:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Robert having a Targaryen grandmother didn't factor in at all. It's pointed out in the books that after Jaime killed Aerys, either Ned or Tywin also could have moved to take the throne before Robert got to King's Landing. Robert was placed in the position to take the crown because he was the main agreived party when Rhaegar "kidnapped" Lyana, and he led the forces that gathered to fight the Targaryens
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, he conquered, but that's not the only reason he took the throne.
You clearly didn’t pay attention to the books if you read them. Lyanna had nothing to do with it.  The main reason he, out of the rebels, was chosen was that he had Targaryen blood and thus some claim to it.

He tells Ned in the first book that Ned should have been King, Ned reminds him he had the better claim because of his lineage.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#46]
But then he took an arrow to the knee

Link Posted: 5/7/2019 9:37:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

But then he took an arrow to the knee

View Quote
I understood that reference.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
It did factor in. Plus he was a charismatic leader who killed Rhaegar in battle. All these things factored in. Your point of most aggrieved would be wrong. Most aggrieved would put Ned as king because it was his sister kidnapped and his Lord Father and brother executed.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Interestingly enough, Bethesda was approached to make a Game of Thrones game, but they were busy making Skyrim so they passed.

Such a great game though.  Hard to believe it came out in 2011. I think I probably spent more time playing that game than any other single player game in my life.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 10:06:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Page / 358
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top