Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 18
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 5:18:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Boeing ditches 737 Max name on new Ryanair plane

"A Boeing 737 Max due to be delivered to Ryanair has had the model's name changed on the nose of the aircraft, it has emerged.

Photos shared on Twitter show a plane in Ryanair colours outside Boeing's manufacturing base, with the name 737 Max replaced by 737-8200.

It has fuelled speculation that the troubled Max will be rebranded after two fatal accidents led to a worldwide grounding. "
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 11:36:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Aviation experts expect Boeing 737 Max jets to be grounded into 2020

"Many aviation experts say the grounded Boeing 737 Max jets won't return to service until sometime in 2020.

Fort Worth-based American Airlines extended its plan to fly without the jets into November. But Wall Street Journal FAA sources say those jets will stay grounded when the busy Thanksgiving and Christmas travel seasons come.

Right now, airlines are grounding the planes through the start of November and getting awfully close to Thanksgiving and Christmas. One aviation expert expects cancellations to continue into next year.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 1:30:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 2:51:49 AM EDT
[#4]
737-8200 special plane for Ryan air. 200 seats in a 737-8 no thank you.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 3:34:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I hope boeing figures this shit out, I can say from first hand experience, max's in all forms (8's, 9's and the new 10's) are still going out the door, where they begin. Granted they are going to storage which is getting ready to fuck the workforce without lube as it's contract time in less than a year.

Yeah boeing has dropped their rate, but the suppliers only went back 1 step before the last rate increase I can't remember the numbers right now, but I think boeing is doing 32 planes a month, but the supplier is pumping out 47. Supplier was supposed to be at 52, looking to go to 59 if I remember right. I could be off a plane or 3 on all these numbers. I'm too busy doing my job to really pay attention to too many details.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 11:37:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Boeing 737 Max grounding hits Southwest’s pilot hiring

"Southwest Airlines said it delayed hiring for two classes of new pilots, which have about 25 apiece, and postponed captain upgrades for two other classes of current pilots because it isn’t clear when the Max planes will fly again. Dallas-based Southwest is the biggest U.S. operator of the Boeing 737 Max with 34 in its fleet of around 750 aircraft.

“All of these classes were scheduled to take place in either September, October, or December of this year to support our previously anticipated delivery of 37 MAX 8 and 7 MAX 7 aircraft in 2019,” Southwest said in a statement. “Once we have more clarity on the return-to-service date of the MAX, and future MAX delivery timelines, we will look towards reinstating classes, as needed, to support the expected growth of our fleet.”"
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 2:43:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Boeing 737 Max grounding hits Southwest’s pilot hiring

"Southwest Airlines said it delayed hiring for two classes of new pilots, which have about 25 apiece, and postponed captain upgrades for two other classes of current pilots because it isn’t clear when the Max planes will fly again. Dallas-based Southwest is the biggest U.S. operator of the Boeing 737 Max with 34 in its fleet of around 750 aircraft.

“All of these classes were scheduled to take place in either September, October, or December of this year to support our previously anticipated delivery of 37 MAX 8 and 7 MAX 7 aircraft in 2019,” Southwest said in a statement. “Once we have more clarity on the return-to-service date of the MAX, and future MAX delivery timelines, we will look towards reinstating classes, as needed, to support the expected growth of our fleet.”"
View Quote
Thanks, Boeing
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 9:08:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I keep hearing "Pilot Training", but that means nothing with regards to the Lion Air that went down earlier.  They knew nothing of the MCAS subsystem or how to respond in time.

The issues made loud are now added to:  Manual trim physically too difficult to operate at speed and flight computer overload/lag issue.  Those two problems are in addition to strictly limiting MCAS control range and alerting pilots via AoA mismatch or MCAS active/auto trim alert on PFD.

This has turned into a far bigger hairball than I first thought.  We probably haven't heard the end of it, they seem to ignore the Lion Air crash entirely so pilots can be blamed.  Boeing's attitude about bad pilots is making it worse for them in the public eye. Pilots shouldn't need training on how to fight an airplane that thinks it knows what to do better than them.
View Quote
I've learned a great deal from this thread and want to thank the knowledgeable folks who have contributed.

In looking at this as someone with no expertise, the above highlighted sentence is the damning: It looks to the average passenger that the plane just went crazy. That a modern plane, which is essentially set up to fly itself, decided to fly itself into the ground.
My second impression here is that the problems must run very deep with the 737: the political pressure from the parties involved, Boeing, the airlines, and the Administration, must be enormous. And yet the plane is still grounded.

As an aside, it's also clear that the airlines are storing up a lot of passenger animosity with thousands of cancellations: it appears to be possible, but difficult, to get a refund on the tickets. And, if you do, and have to rebook, the prices will be higher. And the airlines seem to be attempting to rebook in a very tight market, so folks are finding that they are being given very bizarre and inconvenient alternatives to their original booking.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 10:48:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Boeing 737 Max crash: Did foreign pilots have enough training to fly commercial jets?

"In the final, harrowing seconds of Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302, the pilots tried desperately to keep their Boeing 737 Max aloft.

Nothing worked. Not pulling back on the yoke to try to get the nose up. Not attempting to adjust the trim, the preliminary report on the crash would show. Making matters worse, multiple alarms, clackers and other audible warnings distracted the pair. The jet crashed in March outside Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, killing 157.

The crash laid bare Boeing's shortcomings in having designed an automated flight system that overrode the actions of the flight crew. But it also raised questions about pilot experience — whether mistakes were made in the cockpit and whether foreign airlines require pilots to have enough training. Those questions will be at the fore Monday, when a committee of the United Nations-backed body that sets international standards for air travel is scheduled to take a fresh look at pilot requirements."
View Quote
Yes. The United Nations, a bastion of integrity and truth, will surely get things sorted out.

Let’s let IATA in the room, too. We KNOW they’re honest.

TC
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 10:53:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I keep hearing "Pilot Training", but that means nothing with regards to the Lion Air that went down earlier.  They knew nothing of the MCAS subsystem or how to respond in time.

The issues made loud are now added to:  Manual trim physically too difficult to operate at speed and flight computer overload/lag issue.  Those two problems are in addition to strictly limiting MCAS control range and alerting pilots via AoA mismatch or MCAS active/auto trim alert on PFD.

This has turned into a far bigger hairball than I first thought.  We probably haven't heard the end of it, they seem to ignore the Lion Air crash entirely so pilots can be blamed.  Boeing's attitude about bad pilots is making it worse for them in the public eye.  Pilots shouldn't need training on how to fight an airplane that thinks it knows what to do better than them.
View Quote
They maintained take off thrust throughout the incident. IMO, that’s very much a contributing factor.  It’s a training and experience issue.

Bold part: But how would we operate Airbuses? Kidding. I like the bus so far...

TC
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Southwest reissues 737 safety cards to allay MAX fears

"A few months ago, not long after the FAA ordered the grounding of all Boeing 737 MAX aircraft, we noted that the seatback safety information cards in Southwest Airlines' 737-800s might be a cause of confusion and concern for some customers because the cards referenced both the 737-800 and the 737 MAX 8.

At the time, Southwest didn't think it would be a problem, but in recent weeks the airline has quietly replaced those safety cards with new ones that only mention the 737-800.

The earlier safety cards were issued before the MAX grounding because the same safety information applied to both aircraft types, Southwest told us at the time. But infrequent travelers who weren't aware of the FAA-ordered grounding might have thought 737 MAX 8 was just another way of referring to a 737-800.

A Southwest official told USA Today this week that the cards were changed "to alleviate any confusion from customers so they know exactly what type of aircraft they are on." A separate new safety card was also printed for the MAX 8, but it obviously won't be seen until that aircraft starts flying again."
View Quote
It’s a HUGE f’ing problem, SWA. People DO NOT WANT TO FLY ON THAT PLANE! I commute on you guys and everyone I sit next to asks about it and “even when it’s fixed, I don’t trust them”.

Boeing screwed up BIG TIME. A press release and some feel good ads won’t fix this.

TC
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 11:09:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thanks, Boeing
View Quote
AA can use them...

TC
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It’s a HUGE f’ing problem, SWA. People DO NOT WANT TO FLY ON THAT PLANE! I commute on you guys and everyone I sit next to asks about it and “even when it’s fixed, I don’t trust them”.

Boeing screwed up BIG TIME. A press release and some feel good ads won’t fix this.

TC
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Southwest reissues 737 safety cards to allay MAX fears

"A few months ago, not long after the FAA ordered the grounding of all Boeing 737 MAX aircraft, we noted that the seatback safety information cards in Southwest Airlines' 737-800s might be a cause of confusion and concern for some customers because the cards referenced both the 737-800 and the 737 MAX 8.

At the time, Southwest didn't think it would be a problem, but in recent weeks the airline has quietly replaced those safety cards with new ones that only mention the 737-800.

The earlier safety cards were issued before the MAX grounding because the same safety information applied to both aircraft types, Southwest told us at the time. But infrequent travelers who weren't aware of the FAA-ordered grounding might have thought 737 MAX 8 was just another way of referring to a 737-800.

A Southwest official told USA Today this week that the cards were changed "to alleviate any confusion from customers so they know exactly what type of aircraft they are on." A separate new safety card was also printed for the MAX 8, but it obviously won't be seen until that aircraft starts flying again."

TC
They're already rebranding them to deceive unwary people. *shrug* (ETA: clarification, not SWA, another outfit: 737-8200)

How much commonality is there with the previous iterations?  Canabirds galore.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#14]
The 737 max should be scrapped and all orders cancelled in my opinion. The whole situation has been a cluster from the start.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 11:56:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Boeing hires 9/11 compensation fund lawyer to dole out $50 million to victims of 737 Max crashes

"Boeing has shifted its stance on how it plans to compensate families of those who died in two 737 Max crashes in the last year.
The company announced Wednesday that it has set aside $50 million to give directly to victims' families. Boeing (BA) had previously said it would pay out $100 million to local nonprofits and community groups that will distribute the funds to the relatives of the 346 people who died.

To facilitate the distribution of funds, Boeing has hired attorney Kenneth Feinberg and his colleague, Camille Biros, to come up with a formula to determine who gets how much money. Feinberg's Washington-based firm has overseen distribution to victims of several major events, such as the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, and the BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

Some family members had criticized Boeing's initial commitment to distribute funds. At a congressional hearing Wednesday on the 737 Max crisis, Michael Stumo, the father of victim Samya Stumo, said Boeing's initial announcement "seemed like a PR stunt to us." "
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 5:22:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Boeing hires 9/11 compensation fund lawyer to dole out $50 million to victims of 737 Max crashes

"Boeing has shifted its stance on how it plans to compensate families of those who died in two 737 Max crashes in the last year.
The company announced Wednesday that it has set aside $50 million to give directly to victims' families. Boeing (BA) had previously said it would pay out $100 million to local nonprofits and community groups that will distribute the funds to the relatives of the 346 people who died.

To facilitate the distribution of funds, Boeing has hired attorney Kenneth Feinberg and his colleague, Camille Biros, to come up with a formula to determine who gets how much money. Feinberg's Washington-based firm has overseen distribution to victims of several major events, such as the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, and the BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

Some family members had criticized Boeing's initial commitment to distribute funds. At a congressional hearing Wednesday on the 737 Max crisis, Michael Stumo, the father of victim Samya Stumo, said Boeing's initial announcement "seemed like a PR stunt to us." "
View Quote
What an absolute cluster. Boeing, from the development of MCAS to now, has found a way to butcher things every step of the way.

Fortunately, stupid hurts. And I don’t think Boeing has even begun to feel the true pain of their actions. Ultimately, I wouldn’t be surprised if the MCAS system were scrapped altogether. If not, I’d envision that any pilots flying the Max will need to undergo training or earn a new type rating (sorry if I’m getting the nomenclature wrong); which will be done on Boeing’s dime.

They concealed their attempt to force a square peg into a round hole. Had that decision go south on them. Continued to brush it under the rug. But are finally paying for those decisions.

I don’t think there are many who believe Boeing will actually make things right. And that could prove to be very costly for them. As it should.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 2:05:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Southwest Airlines yanks Boeing 737 Max from schedules through early November with no end in sight to grounding

"Uncertainty over when regulators will allow the Boeing 737 Max to fly again following two deadly crashes prompted Southwest Airlines, the largest U.S. operator of the jets, to remove them from its schedules through early November — a month longer than it estimated in late June.

Southwest’s move follows similar schedule changes announced over the last week by American and United.

Southwest said Thursday it will cancel about 180 flights a day out of about 4,000 flights because of the schedule change. Last month, the Dallas-based airline said it was targeting October for the planes’ return, which would have meant 150 daily flight cancellations."
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 3:09:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks, Boeing
View Quote
If its Not Globo-Boeing, you're still not going!
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Boeing Plans $5 Billion Charge to Compensate 737 MAX Customers

"Boeing will set aside about $5 billion to compensate airlines which have suffered because of the prolonged grounding of the 737 MAX plane.

Chicago-based Boeing also faces litigation seeking compensation for families of the 346 people who died in two crashes, as well as higher costs after curtailing production of the MAX following its grounding by global regulators in March. "

Initially I thought it was for the people killed.   It seems to be to compensate airlines who fly the Max.
Link Posted: 7/18/2019 8:07:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I think it’s 5M for the families and 5B for the customers.

ETA: not sure about the shareholders...
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 3:24:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

"Boeing will set aside about $5 billion to compensate airlines which have suffered because of the prolonged grounding of the 737 MAX plane.

Chicago-based Boeing also faces litigation seeking compensation for families of the 346 people who died in two crashes, as well as higher costs after curtailing production of the MAX following its grounding by global regulators in March. "

Initially I thought it was for the people killed.   It seems to be to compensate airlines who fly the Max.
View Quote
Is it just me, or do the optics of this make Boeing look absolutely tone deaf?

“Oh, we just feel terrible about all the families who lost loved ones. Here’s 50 million dollars for all 346 of you split. On a related note, we understand the grounding has really inconvenienced some airline companies. So, here’s 5 billion dollars for your troubles.”

I get why they’re doing it. They’re hemorrhaging money and likely fear more airlines will pull their orders. But it just makes their whole issue of putting dollars over people seem even more ludicrous.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 3:31:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

“Oh, we just feel terrible about all the families who lost loved ones. Here’s 50 million dollars for all 346 of you split. On a related note, we understand the grounding has really inconvenienced some airline companies. So, here’s 5 billion dollars for your troubles.”

I get why they’re doing it. They’re hemorrhaging money and likely fear more airlines will pull their orders. But it just makes their whole issue of putting dollars over people seem even more ludicrous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Evidently, you don’t know how much airplanes cost, or how they are used.

Look up the cost of a max, then multiply that by whatever % interest you think the airlines are paying.   Then multiply that, by how many Maxs they have parked.    Hint: it’s not a small number.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 5:16:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Look up the cost of a max, then multiply that by whatever % interest you think the airlines are paying.   Then multiply that, by how many Maxs they have parked.    Hint: it’s not a small number.
View Quote
Evidently I needed to expound further on the, “I get why they’re doing it” comment .

Of course the airlines are losing money due to the grounding. I wasn’t contending that they have no claim of financial loss; which Boeing should be on the hook for. Well, in reality, Boeing’s insurer will likely be the first to cough up their policy limits. I also don’t know whether the insurers for each individual airline might be taking a hit as well; if the grounding might trigger coverage for lost business income. Sucks for the insurers...potentially the reinsurers .

Regardless, I don’t doubt that Boeing will be paying something out of their own pockets. How much that’ll be is dependent upon the above, how long the grounding is in force, etc. My point was simply about the optics of such an enormous disconnect in what they’re setting aside between the airlines and victims. The dollar value for the former will likely be higher. But what they’ve currently allocated for the latter (publicly) is an absolute joke. That, and Boeing’s 5B pledge to the airlines certainly (IMHO) comes across as, “Please don’t head for the hills. We’ll take care of you while we get this whole planes lawn-darting thing sorted out.” The airlines will get their restitution one way or another. Boeing knows that. It’s an empty show of good faith for the sake of trying to stop the bleed.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 8:59:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Evidently I needed to expound further on the, “I get why they’re doing it” comment .

Of course the airlines are losing money due to the grounding. I wasn’t contending that they have no claim of financial loss; which Boeing should be on the hook for. Well, in reality, Boeing’s insurer will likely be the first to cough up their policy limits. I also don’t know whether the insurers for each individual airline might be taking a hit as well; if the grounding might trigger coverage for lost business income. Sucks for the insurers...potentially the reinsurers .

Regardless, I don’t doubt that Boeing will be paying something out of their own pockets. How much that’ll be is dependent upon the above, how long the grounding is in force, etc. My point was simply about the optics of such an enormous disconnect in what they’re setting aside between the airlines and victims. The dollar value for the former will likely be higher. But what they’ve currently allocated for the latter (publicly) is an absolute joke. That, and Boeing’s 5B pledge to the airlines certainly (IMHO) comes across as, “Please don’t head for the hills. We’ll take care of you while we get this whole planes lawn-darting thing sorted out.” The airlines will get their restitution one way or another. Boeing knows that. It’s an empty show of good faith for the sake of trying to stop the bleed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree that the optics in the reporting aren’t the best. But I think you may also be reading too much into it. Rather than making some grandiose PR statement to its customers, Boeing was likely providing some guidance to investors in its quarterly earnings report. There have been questions about the financial impact of this and talk about a class action lawsuit by shareholders. Boeing will probably be paying most of this out of their own pockets and they have a responsibility to their investors to let them know how this is anticipated to affect profitability and share price going forward.

You can bet Boeing has been having conversations about forms of compensation with the customers themselves behind closed doors for months now.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 11:06:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm kind of surprised that the FAA doesn't mandate that at least major customers of a given type of plane should be required to have full featured simulators for training in that type, simulators as good as the manufacturer uses.

If those customers had the same simulators as Boeing uses for testing, then those customers could contribute meaningfully to test programs that would be able to quickly rack up lots of hours testing changes to software and procedures.

I'm kind of surprised Boeing doesn't require that of its major customers, too.  "If you want to buy more than 20 737-9 Maxes, you have to get a Max 9 simulator installed in your training facility as well."
View Quote
They do all have sumulators of the same type. That type is 737-NG

The MCAS was developed to make it the same type as those.

Didnt work out so well. This is all a money saving, training saving, make it bigger but the same,  cluster fuck
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

TC
View Quote
That's kinda how I'm feeling. I don't think I want to fly on a Max
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 3:52:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Short the fuck out of Boeing
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
737-8200 special plane for Ryan air. 200 seats in a 737-8 no thank you.
View Quote
Used to be branded as a "MAX 200".

But yeah, cattle car version.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a HUGE f'ing problem, SWA. People DO NOT WANT TO FLY ON THAT PLANE! I commute on you guys and everyone I sit next to asks about it and "even when it's fixed, I don't trust them".

Boeing screwed up BIG TIME. A press release and some feel good ads won't fix this.

TC
I suspect after all of this attention they should be fine.    Way too much attention to what happened and catastrophe for Boeing if it happens again.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 4:05:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Boeing ditches 737 Max name on new Ryanair plane

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/7BDD/production/_107890713_d_fclx0u0aa4_vz.jpg

"A Boeing 737 Max due to be delivered to Ryanair has had the model's name changed on the nose of the aircraft, it has emerged.

Photos shared on Twitter show a plane in Ryanair colours outside Boeing's manufacturing base, with the name 737 Max replaced by 737-8200.

It has fuelled speculation that the troubled Max will be rebranded after two fatal accidents led to a worldwide grounding. "
View Quote
Does the 8200 stand for the impact velocity, expressed in feet per second, when you hit the ground, or is that the maximum value,  expressed in degrees, that the computer is allowed on the elevator control surfaces?
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I suspect after all of this attention they should be fine.    Way too much attention to what happened and catastrophe for Boeing if it happens again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a HUGE f'ing problem, SWA. People DO NOT WANT TO FLY ON THAT PLANE! I commute on you guys and everyone I sit next to asks about it and "even when it's fixed, I don't trust them".

Boeing screwed up BIG TIME. A press release and some feel good ads won't fix this.

TC
I think the MAX will be more than fine. We have members here who fly the MAXes and say that they are good airplanes. That there is nothing inherently wrong with them or their design. Right now they are being gone through with a fine tooth comb, probably scrutinized more than any other airplane in service. Once that is complete and they have been re-certified by regulatory agencies they will probably be better understood and have a more thorough training regimen than any other commercial airplane in service.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:56:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Southwest cancels Max flights through 5 January 2020.

"Southwest also said it has removed the Boeing 737 Max 8 from its schedule through Jan. 5, which covers the busy holiday travel season.

It is the first airline to extend Max cancellations past early November. Earlier this month, Southwest and other carriers extended cancellations into November. Southwest is the largest U.S. operator of the Max, with 34 of the planes at the time of the grounding in March."
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 11:42:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 12:52:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Some family members had criticized Boeing's initial commitment to distribute funds. At a congressional hearing Wednesday on the 737 Max crisis, Michael Stumo, the father of victim Samya Stumo, said Boeing's initial announcement "seemed like a PR stunt to us."
View Quote
If every penny of that 50 million went to the 346 families...that's still only $144,508.00 each - less than a years wages for a bunch of them. Boeing needs to do a lot better.

The local DFW news was saying this morning that Southwest has lost something on the order of $200 million since their 737 Max planes are grounded. American Airlines is losing $180 million per quarter. Looks Like that may continue into 2020. Those are some major losses and not the fault of the carriers.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 1:14:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 10:19:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 3:30:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Boeing C-suiters know that whatever happens, they are too big to fail, and will get bailed out if things ever get too bad.

In the end, employees will pay, shareholders will pay, and if worse comes to worst, taxpayers will pay... Executives (who are the ones at fault) will still get their golden parachutes.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 3:34:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Boeing C-suiters know that whatever happens, they are too big to fail, and will get bailed out if things ever get too bad.

In the end, employees will pay, shareholders will pay, and if worse comes to worst, taxpayers will pay... Executives (who are the ones at fault) will still get their golden parachutes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you hate America?
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Boeing CEO stated that people have a short memory and this will all blow over.
View Quote
He's right you know.   If their memory is longer than bankruptcy, then the taxpayers will bail his company out until memory fades.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 3:48:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Cost cutting corporatists kill companies for their own massive short term private profit.  It's a scam with no long term sustainability.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 4:03:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The 737 max should be scrapped and all orders cancelled in my opinion. The whole situation has been a cluster from the start.
View Quote
It certainly is looking more and more like the thing to do.  I wonder how hard is Boeing looking for a quick replacement of the 737.  One of the most annoying features of the 737 as a frequent flyer is the wing is too dam small.  On hot summer days in AZ, I've been on cancelled flights because it's too hot for that wing.

It's annoying to be told... "sorry the plane cannot take off because it's too hot, we can look to book you on another flight today, or spend the night for a morning flight out."  Of course, the likely plane to be rebooked on for that day is a 757.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It certainly is looking more and more like the thing to do.  I wonder how hard is Boeing looking for a quick replacement of the 737.  One of the most annoying features of the 737 as a frequent flyer is the wing is too dam small.  On hot summer days in AZ, I've been on cancelled flights because it's too hot for that wing.

It's annoying to be told... "sorry the plane cannot take off because it's too hot, we can look to book you on another flight today, or spend the night for a morning flight out."  Of course, the likely plane to be rebooked on for that day is a 757.
View Quote
This is an issue I've never heard about. I'd like to know more. I imagine the same issue would be a problem at a high altitude airport, like the one in my county (6450').
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Acquaintance/former co-worker is a retired cop and went out there last year to work as some major Boeing security guy. Wonder what's going-on in his head as all of this unfolds. Not his fault and he's already retired once, but still... would make you wonder about your luck.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:09:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This is an issue I've never heard about. I'd like to know more. I imagine the same issue would be a problem at a high altitude airport, like the one in my county (6450').
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He’s exaggerating.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 11:58:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
In my own layman’s understanding, it’d be the result of changes in air density. Warmer air is less dense. The lower density means less lift (all else being equal). So, to overcome this, the aircraft would need more speed to generate the required lift. Getting to a higher speed, the aircraft will need more runway during takeoff. Eventually, I’d assume there just isn’t enough runway for takeoff to be (safely) viable in certain conditions. And, perhaps the 737 isn’t as efficient at generating lift; when compared to other passenger jets.

So, it could perceivably be an issue at any airport if the conditions are right (wrong).

Hopefully someone with more expertise can come along and correct anything I’ve overlooked or misstated.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 12:14:40 AM EDT
[#48]
In 1992 I was flying from Denver to Houston. It was right at 100F in Denver. Airline said they couldn't take off with enough fuel to make it to Houston. We took off, landed in Oklahoma city, refueld, then made the last hop to Houston. I'm not sure what plane it was, possibly a 737. There was a grand total of 5 passangers. 3 in my party and 2 other people.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 12:24:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Density altitude limitations are going to happen at Sky Harbor.  It's just the way it is.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 1:31:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

From what I can find, Lion Air reduced thrust and crashed, the first one.

If they weren't grounded, and pilots followed the procedures, no other changes (AoA disagree alert, etc) implemented, we'd likely see another one planted before this same process was repeated.  That would then also be the pilot's fault.  Like the Reliant Robin crashes caused only because of bad drivers.  
View Quote
The Reliant Robin was hideous.

Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top