User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 5:02:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The band track really doesn't get enough credit. It was easier to change, much lighter, lower maintenance and more reliable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ours were demonstrably better.

Powered front axle, non-interleaved road wheels, and a unitary band track instead of metal links.
This.  Especially the non-interleaved wheels.  Mud tended to get trapped in those which is why you don't see them anymore.
The band track really doesn't get enough credit. It was easier to change, much lighter, lower maintenance and more reliable.
The entire powertrain system had the bugs well worked out.  Like the Sherman, it was not the ultimate, but proven technology that WORKED mile after mile and day after day of combat.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 5:17:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Sexy, but it ain't even quarter tracked, let alone half!
View All Quotes
But...but...It had front and rear driving positions.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 5:36:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It combined the off road traction of a tracked vehicle with the ease of steering of a wheeled vehicle.  Using the wheels to steer the vehicle allowed them to do away with the complex synchronized braking system tracked vehicles needed at that era.  Any truck driver could drive a half track.

In comparison, here is how German tanks had to steer:  It steered by outright braking one side or the other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsodIneQGzI
View Quote
Love me some late model Panther G
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
 Long story short on the company,they tied themselves entire!y to Walmart and Walmart killed them,kind of the Buell of toys. I never got into collecting them but they were cool. I kick myself for not getting some of their 1/32 kits when they were cheap
View All Quotes
Quoted:
 Long story short on the company,they tied themselves entire!y to Walmart and Walmart killed them,kind of the Buell of toys. I never got into collecting them but they were cool. I kick myself for not getting some of their 1/32 kits when they were cheap
Interesting. I'd always assumed that they just weren't popular.
I saw them go from being available at Toy's R Us, Target, KMart to just being at Walmart and figured they were falling out of favor.
Quoted:
JSI picked up a few. The Panther, for example. One or two other companies have picked up molds as well. There’s an unassembled Fw-190 kit being offered.
It’s been pretty piecemeal in the 1/18 scale world.
I picked up a couple of 1/18 figures a couple years ago that looked really close to some of the 21st Century ones I'd picked up years before.
But I haven't seen them again since.
Quoted:
I used to travel a lot, and with the different paint schemes being distributed so unevenly I would buy them and resell on ebay.  A lot of WM's clearanced them too, so for a year or so I had a pretty good side business going buying 21st planes on closeout and reselling on ebay.
The only place that ever seemed to dedicate shelf space to the larger vehicles was Toy's R Us.
I had no idea there was as much variety as there was because I never saw more than one or types of models together at one time.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#6]
The Nazis had the best looking stuff by far.

Coolest uniforms / guns / equipment/ machinery etc
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 6:16:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This thread inspired me to fire up Close Combat "A Bridge Too Far".
View Quote
I love all the close combat games, there a few newer titles out there.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Germans didn't have any rubber.  I agree the band track is awesome.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#10]
A little half track heritage...

A Holt 75 in WW1.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And people complained about the M2's armor.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:14:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

More like Breaking one side or the other.

The shortage of critical alloys and machine tools due to Allied Bombing & blockade meant that the German steering gear boxes in the later heavy tanks were a critical weakpoint of their designs...
View Quote
I read once that German tankers wanted experianced drivers for the Panther as they tended to be able to work around the known weakness, but German high command felt that new recruits get the new tanks, which led to more breakage as well.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I think I read the French operated quite a few Panthers after the war, alongside some other Allied models.  It doesn't sound like they were impressed and quickly rid themselves of the Panthers as soon as replacements were available.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
Does this qualify as a half-track?  The Mark I tank with a steering wheel in its rear.  . Yeah, it steered by braking.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think I read the French operated quite a few Panthers after the war, alongside some other Allied models.  It doesn't sound like they were impressed and quickly rid themselves of the Panthers as soon as replacements were available.
View Quote
https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/chieftain/chieftains-hatch-french-panthers/
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 11:29:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Does this qualify as a half-track?  The Mark I tank with a steering wheel in its rear.  . Yeah, it steered by braking.
http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/British_Mark_I_male_tank_Somme_25_September_19161.jpg
View Quote
I thought the training wheels were an anti turtle measure for climbing slopes and traversing trenches?
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 11:59:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
France was getting a great deal of US military aid along with developing their own industry. They got a big number of free M47s,nearly 1000 IIRC,and were building thousands of AMX-13s light tanks  and EBR heavy armored car/tank destroyers (both using essentially the Panther's gun) along with all the Shermans,M36s etc they had been given. Keeping orphans that were both fragile and no current parts support would have just been dumb but actually,they kept them around for several years,longer than the US had kept all manner of things in service post war,for example even though the M18 had the highest kill:loss ratio of any US AFV they were quickly removed from American service.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 12:14:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Did you know the Germans also produced a Landwasserschlepper?

I did a thread about the Landwasserschlepper some years back on here.

I love the word "Landwasserschlepper."

Learn About Landwasserschlepper Here

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top