Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/2/2021 8:32:33 AM EDT
Well technically, an ASAT from G&L. I like the way it looks and feels, but I have never been able to get over how every Telecaster sounds just like any other Telecaster.

I mostly play blues, rock and also metal, I know it can chug, but I don't want the twang everywhere I go.

What do?

Edit:

Didn't work.

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:33:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Change the pickups to something you like.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:35:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Jim Root Telecaster is best Telecaster.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:35:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I have been waiting for Sweetwater to get that exact model in. Played one at a guitar show and should have bought it then. Great guitars at a excellent price point.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:37:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Think of it as a tool.  If it fits a song or style you want to play, why not?  Do different guns not serve different purposes?
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:38:16 AM EDT
[#5]
i never liked teles util I got my hands on a used Fender AVRI '52 with Duncan Antiquity pickups.  holy shit that thing sounded magical.  the bridge pickup through a marshall with a little bit of dirt had this hard steely ringing sound that just blew my shorts off

out of all the guitars I have bought and sold that is the one I miss the most and wish I'd never let it get away
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well technically, an ASAT from G&L. I like the way it looks and feels, but I have never been able to get over how every Telecaster sounds just like any other Telecaster.

I mostly okay blues, rock and also metal, I know it can chug, but I don't want the twang everywhere I go.

What do?
View Quote

If it's got humbuckers it's probably not going to sound exactly like a tele. If it feels and plays like you want I'd say go for it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:39:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Think of it as a tool.  If it fits a song or style you want to play, why not?  Do different guns not serve different purposes?
View Quote
You're right. I guess I need to get over the thought that one guitar can do everything.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:40:36 AM EDT
[#8]
No.

Teles are the most versatile guitar. That "twang" is what makes it so great at cutting through a mix, doesn't matter what genre you're playing.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You're right. I guess I need to get over the thought that one guitar can do everything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One guitar can't do everything, but if there was one that got the closest to being able to do everything, it would be the telecaster. Leo got it right the first time. (Well, second time, since the broadcaster came first.)
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Buy it. Telecasters are awesome.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:43:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If it's got humbuckers it's probably not going to sound exactly like a tele. If it feels and plays like you want I'd say go for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mostly okay blues, rock and also metal, I know it can chug, but I don't want the twang everywhere I go.

What do?

They're single coil MFD pickups, which is really cool since you can change the height of each pole piece individually.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:45:27 AM EDT
[#12]
What kind(s) of amp(s) and pedals will you be using?
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:47:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a Tele that's pretty decent quality. I almost never play it. My go-to always seems to be my old Strat.

Still, I have a lot of different guitars for different sounds and playing styles. The custom I just put together has an odd mix of .12 - .54 string sizes on it, because I want the "deeper" resonance out of it, but I sure as shit can't sit and play bends all day on that guitar. In short, if you have a style void that needs to be filled and a Tele will do it, go for it!

Always remember the formula for the number of guitars you need: n + 1

Where n is the number of guitars you currently have.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:48:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No.

Teles are the most versatile guitar. That "twang" is what makes it so great at cutting through a mix, doesn't matter what genre you're playing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:50:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What kind(s) of amp(s) and pedals will you be using?
View Quote
I have an Orange Thunder 30, I don't use many pedals, looper, tuner, foot switch, occasional wah.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:52:57 AM EDT
[#16]
WTF is "twang"?
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:54:58 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote
Take the sticker off and play it and you'll find you have humbuckers.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:02:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The sticker and shipping plastic are long gone.
If there is any twang in this guy it's in witness protection because I sure can't find it.
But that's ok, my other teles got that covered.
Like a lot of folks I hated the tele when I was younger. Became one of my favorites as I get older.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:03:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I mostly play blues, (snip)

View Quote

Go listen to some Muddy Waters then go buy that tele.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:04:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, this...
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:05:56 AM EDT
[#21]

Can't stand them.....

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:08:51 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote
You have a whole guitar just for palm mutes?
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:10:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mostly play blues, (snip)

I'm either a flat picker or fingerstyle, I don't play the banjo. (Jokes aside, I have some thumb and finger picks, but don't like it/not used to it.)
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:18:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Here's one I put together last year:
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:20:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Never was fond of the telecaster neck shape. Feels like half a baseball on the back. If getting a tele for that tele sound then you pretty much have to get one.

If looking for something to enjoy playing there are so many better options.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:23:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Never was fond of the telecaster neck shape. Feels like half a baseball on the back. If getting a tele for that tele sound then you pretty much have to get one.

View Quote
You can get a telecaster with any neck shape you want. The one I posted above is one of my thinnest neck guitars. I kinda wish it was thicker. But, yeah a traditional 50s tele neck is a handful. The Squier classic vibe teles have really thin necks, for example.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:25:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Dunno, my buddy's '59 Tele sounds awesome.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:26:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You can get a telecaster with any neck shape you want. The one I posted above is one of my thinnest neck guitars. I kinda wish it was thicker. But, yeah a traditional 50s tele neck is a handful. The Squier classic vibe teles have really thin necks, for example.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yerr, all three of my telecasters have different neck profiles.
Thick to thin.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:27:59 AM EDT
[#29]
This is my Tele. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.

(fully humbucking with Danny Gatton model Barden rear and Fralin Big Single front pickups. (classic sound & low noise)
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#30]
I've been looking at one of these for my next Tele purchase.  Just haven't played one I truly love yet.

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#31]
I've been very lucky to have been able to own/try a LOT of guitars and amps over the years, always on a tone hunt.

Teles are fantastic, and when you find the 'right' one, it makes all the others (even the ones you thought were great guitars) you will forget about all the others.

They can sound like what you're looking for, but not with the stock pickups.  My last surviving tele has Fender Custom Shop Nocaster pickups, and it rocks.

That being said, it still has tele characteristics in it's sound (like they all do)--better note/string definition than other guitars (when you play a chord, it's almost as though you can hear each individual string), more trebly than other guitars (except maybe a Firebird)--butt that's a good thing in a band setting.

Honestly, when reading your post, it sounds like you're looking for a single P90 pickup Les Paul Jr.

My two custom Burtone teles. I LOVE a neck humbucker with a 4 way switch in a tele, but I let it go because the cream one is just soooo good.

My collection from a few years ago--i was on a vintage Fender amp kick.  The only ones I have left now are the cream tele and the Tokai Les Paul.  

Now that my tastes have changed, all the Fender amps are gone and I've fallen in love with Flying Vs!

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:36:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Get this one. P90's sound great and are much more versatile than standard tele single coils.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:46:30 AM EDT
[#33]
I was a PRS guy. I toured, gigged, recorded original music and rehearsed weekly for many years and they just seemed to do it for me.

Then I got my hands on a Fender Tele and its been my main guitar since. I just like the simplicity.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:47:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I must be getting old. You kids and your new fangled contraptions. Get off my lawn!

I used to have one before I knew anything about tone or anything at all really. Was in a metal band. The Telecaster would literally make my hand cramp and lock up so I started swinging it like an on deck batter with a weighted bat. I would solely practice on the tele until the cramps went away and I got really really fast and built stamina. Especially when going from that to a Les Paul or something that played like butter.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:48:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Get this one. P90's sound great and are much more versatile than standard tele single coils.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/34777/TI_AJ2_132R42R23-front-1200-341x1024_png-1889785.JPG
View Quote
P90's don't seem right on that. I do like the Tele sound, especially when it's a little crunchy.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:08:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
No.

View Quote

This. If I only had to have one guitar to rule them all, it'd be a traditional tele with the Bill Lawrence switch mod.

Truly does it all.

If I were a strictly rock player but still wanted versatility, I'd get a Cabronita Tele or one with double Filtertrons that are splittable. That's the king daddy of limitless possibilities.

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I was a PRS guy. I toured, gigged, recorded original music and rehearsed weekly for many years and they just seemed to do it for me.

Then I got my hands on a Fender Tele and its been my main guitar since. I just like the simplicity.
View Quote

Found Pete Loeffler's account
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:32:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/34777/TI_AJ2_132R42R23-front-1200-341x1024_png-1889785.JPG
View Quote
I have the squire version of that with a baritone neck.

It crushes.

I have been gassing mega hard over the Schecter custom Shop Nick Johnston PT model but at $3500  I will wait and see if they do an import version.

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#39]
"talk me out of a tele"

Send me a tele or you're a liberal-fag-troll!
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:54:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I mostly play blues, rock and also metal, I know it can chug, but I don't want the twang everywhere I go.

What do?
View Quote

Then there's the other 95% of the equation, the amp.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do?

30 Watts of EL84 will destroy just about anything.

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 11:49:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/53961/PXL_20210309_034221058-1889893.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/53961/PXL_20210309_034221058-1889893.jpg

Nice rig! Get the Tele, you won't regret it.
Growing up I thought they were awful, both in looks and sound. Now I grab a Tele or an Esquire more often than a Strat.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#43]
I think OP has figured that nobody is going to talk him out of a Tele. Into, maybe, and as it should be.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#44]
get the guitar you play the best and fix up the sound how you want it
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#45]
I just got a Schecter PT Fastback...
Tele-like, but with split-coil humbuckers, body sculpted more like a Strat.
Feels like a perfect combination.
This is the model:

ETA so yes, you don't need to be talked out of it.
BTW, my G&L Strat is super playable. I wouldn't start tearing into the G&L until I'd played it long enough to make sure I really wanted to do that to it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:09:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What do?
View Quote
Musicman bro. So much better.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:14:50 PM EDT
[#47]
This is the one I want:

Attachment Attached File

But before that, I'll probably pick up a PRS SE Hollowbody II Piezo. I just landed a new job making more money... so I should be able to afford a few toys this year!
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:25:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Jim Root Telecaster is best Telecaster.
View Quote

that is a beast.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

I've got one of those and it rocks the house.
standard Tele's and Humbucker Tele's.... are my goto rigs.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:29:22 PM EDT
[#50]
If you are serious about metal do not get a telecaster. 6 strings, 22 frets, short scale length, single coils, mediocre high fret access. None of those sound great for a metal guitar.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top