Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:27:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a couple purely for historical reasons, but feel like if you are into classic rock, everyone should have a Les Paul and a Strat in their collection sooner than a Tele.  But a Tele should eventually be in your plans too.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:33:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Get
A
Telecaster
Buy
A
Telecaster
Do
It
Now
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:38:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Why would I talk you out of a tele? Have a number of them, only thing I've changed is the pickup switch on some of them to 4 posistions and some of the pickups. Some are 30+ years old.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Tele's are the AR15 of guitars so....

Link Posted: 4/3/2021 1:53:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

As much as I like Gibsons, I feel like saying Gibsons are the Kimber of guitars.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a couple purely for historical reasons, but feel like if you are into classic rock, everyone should have a Les Paul and a Strat in their collection sooner than a Tele.  But a Tele should eventually be in your plans too.
View Quote

I have an Ibanez superstrat with HSH pickups. I haven't played any Les Paul's as nice as the ASAT that weren't much more expensive Gibsons.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That Tele sold A LOT of Les Pauls!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go listen to the first three Led Zeppelin albums Page played a Tele on all 3.

That Tele sold A LOT of Les Pauls!
Yeah sure did, including mine
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:43:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Dude, get a Tele.  My Baja Telecaster I got last year is the bee's knees.  I have gotten more compliments on the sound of that thing, and I'm not even that good, so I know it's not me.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#9]
HSS Strat or clone

Les Paul or clone

Tele or clone

Acoustic
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 3:39:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Late night bump. Believe it or not, I have a tele despite what I posted in this thread. I'd always like to add a few more to my collection if I had the $$$. OP let us know what you got. My final thought is don't discredit the "high speed low drag" guitars like Jackson, Ibanez, ESP, etc...

Try them out and see if the body shape and neck feel good to you vs a Tele. They won't sound like a Tele, but you may be surprised at what you do and don't like with regards to playability.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 4:13:06 AM EDT
[#11]
My telecaster is the oldest one I own. Now over 20 years old. I love it and it's still my favorite. Was even played on MTV
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 4:27:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I think the Tele is probably the best thing Fender makes. While my personal favorite is the Jaguar HH, the telecaster can really do it all
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 5:06:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Ill play. Little '59 Bridge, Hot Tele Neck

Link Posted: 4/7/2021 2:25:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Late night bump. Believe it or not, I have a tele despite what I posted in this thread. I'd always like to add a few more to my collection if I had the $$$. OP let us know what you got. My final thought is don't discredit the "high speed low drag" guitars like Jackson, Ibanez, ESP, etc...

Try them out and see if the body shape and neck feel good to you vs a Tele. They won't sound like a Tele, but you may be surprised at what you do and don't like with regards to playability.I've
View Quote
I've bought and sold several LTD and ESP guitars and basses. My next guitar will probably be an EC-1000 to satisfy that Les Paul need.

However, I was not able to be talked out of a Tele.

Link Posted: 4/7/2021 2:32:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Forget that.  G&L all have (or most) 1 5/8" wide necks versus the industry standard 1 11/16".  Okay if you have little fingers.  Most have plastic finishes unlike comparably priced telecasters and they have goofy pickup routes that may not fit industry standard pickups.  There are twangy low output teles, middle of the road sounding A5 classic rock teles and John5, Slipknot guy teles for metal.  Don't buy a copy, there are 70 years worth of used teles, you can find one you'll love.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 2:35:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Never was fond of the telecaster neck shape. Feels like half a baseball on the back. If getting a tele for that tele sound then you pretty much have to get one.

If looking for something to enjoy playing there are so many better options.
View Quote

It is 2021, you can any neck profile or width you could reasonably want from Fender or the dozens of companies making necks.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I know full well what scale length is. His original comment implied that the standard Fender scale length isn't long enough to be used for metal... and yet there aren't really any guitars that offer anything longer until you either go baritone or extended-range.
View Quote

Weren't most of the big selling thrash metal recorded on Gibson copies with 24 5/8" scale length?
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 2:41:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Most have plastic finishes unlike comparably priced telecasters
View Quote

All your other critiques of G&L are valid, to be taken into consideration, but poly finishes are vastly superior to lacquer unless you want your finish to crack, fade, etc. Which, hey, some guys think a bad finish going bad is a sign of a quality instrument with soul or something, but it's hubcaps on a tractor as far as meaningful to the sound or quality of the instrument.

Link Posted: 4/7/2021 2:46:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I will not talk you out of a tele. My MiM, now almost two decades old. Liquidated most of my guitars after I got sick. Held onto the MiM. The hummingbird was a recent gift from my girlfriend.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

All your other critiques of G&L are valid, to be taken into consideration, but poly finishes are vastly superior to lacquer unless you want your finish to crack, fade, etc. Which, hey, some guys think a bad finish going bad is a sign of a quality instrument with soul or something, but it's hubcaps on a tractor as far as meaningful to the sound or quality of the instrument.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't hear the difference between a poly and a lacquer finish?

Link Posted: 4/7/2021 2:50:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Forget that.  G&L all have (or most) 1 5/8" wide necks versus the industry standard 1 11/16".  Okay if you have little fingers.  Most have plastic finishes unlike comparably priced telecasters and they have goofy pickup routes that may not fit industry standard pickups.  There are twangy low output teles, middle of the road sounding A5 classic rock teles and John5, Slipknot guy teles for metal.  Don't buy a copy, there are 70 years worth of used teles, you can find one you'll love.
View Quote
Is it a copy if it comes from MusicMan or G&L? Cause really they're just improvements by the inventor.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 8:29:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/3gr3pCY.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/3gr3pCY.gif
This is the same group of people that think park'ing under the FSB makes it more better.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 9:32:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I dunno, I think Tele's are more like the AK47s of the gun world; rougher around the edges, some variety, and are workhorses.
Stratocasters and Super-Strats are the AR-15s, and come in endless flavors and configs.
Gibsons are maybe more like the FN Scar.  Price-wise anyway, not so sure about quality anymore.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I dunno, I think Tele's are more like the AK47s of the gun world; rougher around the edges, some variety, and are workhorses.
Stratocasters and Super-Strats are the AR-15s, and come in endless flavors and configs.
Gibsons are maybe more like the FN Scar.  Price-wise anyway, not so sure about quality anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, the Strat is the most copied and ubiquitous guitar in the whole world, can fit in any genre, almost infinitely customizable, etc. Definitely Strat = AR.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Only thing better than a good Tele is a Gibson with
P-90’s.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well technically, an ASAT from G&L. I like the way it looks and feels, but I have never been able to get over how every Telecaster sounds just like any other Telecaster.

I mostly play blues, rock and also metal, I know it can chug, but I don't want the twang everywhere I go.

What do?

Edit:

Didn't work.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/53961/PXL_20210407_180630414-1896431.jpg
View Quote

+1 for not supporting the fucktarded virtue signaling assholes at Fender (vintage and used Fender okay). Many options besides Fender for new guitars and partscaster. G&L makes a damn fine Tele.

https://guitarriego.com/en-us/guitar/fender-fired-john-cruz-master-builder-of-custom-shop/

ETA: 3 teles but only one in traditional form. Bridge was mounted wonky but still sounds and plays  great so i left it alone. $80 tele with about $170 in upgrades.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 12:11:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
P-90's.
View Quote
I love the sound of P90s! Oddly, I don't own any -yet- but they make me instantly think of the guitar duo of Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter, who played with Alice Cooper, Lou Reed, Aerosmith and others. They used Les Paul specials.  That sugar sweet, sometimes metallic (Cold Ethyl), sometimes velvety tone. Love it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 12:39:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I love the sound of P90s! Oddly, I don't own any -yet- but they make me instantly think of the guitar duo of Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter, who played with Alice Cooper, Lou Reed, Aerosmith and others. They used Les Paul specials.  That sugar sweet, sometimes metallic (Cold Ethyl), sometimes velvety tone. Love it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
P-90's.

This one can sound remarkably like a traditional Tele or Strat... These are the Korean made premium Wlkinson pickups with nickel silver baseplates, not the $12 Chicom Wilky's...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree that poly is a superior finish but it is what sets apart collectable guitars from Asian junk.  Charging nitro prices for plastic finishes (G&L, Dusenberg, Gretsh, etc) is just tacky.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 2:28:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Is it a copy if it comes from MusicMan or G&L? Cause really they're just improvements by the inventor.
View Quote

The inventor was not a player.  He was a businessman.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 3:10:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So?
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top