Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 11:25:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 1:54:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I meant like another country adopted it as their standard service rifle and we would just give them to them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true we managed to give away quite a few during 90's   ...  

I meant like another country adopted it as their standard service rifle and we would just give them to them.

It wasn't adopted as a main issue weapon by another major country (although they were used by several other countries) because they had their own .30 cal MBRs and before long we started moving in another direction.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 4:12:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It wasn't adopted as a main issue weapon by another major country (although they were used by several other countries) because they had their own .30 cal MBRs and before long we started moving in another direction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't Taiwan adopt it for some time as the Type 58, after buying the machinery from TRW, IIRC?

Probably the only instance I can think of.  Of course, the M-14 wasn't marketed to other countries, so its lack of adoption doesn't really mean much.  However, its cousin, the BM-59, was marketed, and it had limited adoption, so I'd think the same would likely have been true for the M-14 had it been similarly marketed.  I think adopters of the BM-59 included Italy, San Marino, Nigeria, Argentina, Algeria, Indonesia, and I think a few others.  IIRC, Indonesia and Nigeria produced them under license.  I think some countries adopted them due to ease of converting their Garands rather than getting brand new rifles, something not possible for the M-14 since it uses a different receiver.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 4:13:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My Century Arms C308 has been pretty good.

I think I paid about $600 a few years ago for it. No complaints from me.
View Quote

same
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:33:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
LOL, trashcan design still belongs in a trash can.

Roller lock is literally the most retarded thing Ze Germans have ever invented, gun wise at least.

Their WW2 tank transmissions get an honorable mention, simply because they were attached to a gun.

Funny how AK's and even AR-15's don't need scheduled maintenance to literally the most important/dangerous dimension of the gun (headspace).

I'll make it simple for the mouth breathers, rollers concentrate force on a linear contact point, the AK and AR (and every other design) distribute the force on a planar contact area.

That's why the roller lock wears out so fast, needing bigger rollers every "x" number of rounds (and X = not very big number), greatly increased PSI.

Or kilograms per square meter, or whatever...

Fucking stupid ass design.
View Quote

I thought they stole it from Poland or am thinking of another gun design?  (I could be completely mistaken on this)
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:41:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Didn't Taiwan adopt it for some time as the Type 58, after buying the machinery from TRW, IIRC?

Probably the only instance I can think of.  Of course, the M-14 wasn't marketed to other countries, so its lack of adoption doesn't really mean much.  However, its cousin, the BM-59, was marketed, and it had limited adoption, so I'd think the same would likely have been true for the M-14 had it been similarly marketed.  I think adopters of the BM-59 included Italy, San Marino, Nigeria, Argentina, Algeria, Indonesia, and I think a few others.  IIRC, Indonesia and Nigeria produced them under license.  I think some countries adopted them due to ease of converting their Garands rather than getting brand new rifles, something not possible for the M-14 since it uses a different receiver.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, and that's what I was referring to by saying "several other countries" as opposed to major Western nations.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:53:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Garand type actions are notoriously vulnerable to debris fouling, and no, wiping off the outside of the T slot tracks does not fix that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
G3 rifles are good but have some drawbacks.  They're all heavy because of that massive receiver and bolt carrier.  The charging handle is awkward and the other ergonomics might be bad too depending on the configuration and furniture.  The trigger's a bit heavy.  

I'd rather have an M14-type.  It weighs about a pound less, has a perfect trigger, better sights (longer radius, click-adjustable windage, more elevation range, better sight picture, no wobble in the rear aperture), has a shorter profile top-to-bottom, can take a shooting sling, is easier to clean, etc.  The action's open but that might work both ways if you need to clear the debris out with your fingers.  

Garand type actions are notoriously vulnerable to debris fouling, and no, wiping off the outside of the T slot tracks does not fix that.

The Garand was used thru WWII  and Korea and worked well in a wide variety of conditions.  Unreliable was not something they had a problem with. Enough with the revisionist history.  It was the best rifle in both conflicts that was issued in meaningful numbers*.

*a few thousand MP44's fall into the category of way too little, way too late and I would take a M1 over an 10 round fixed magazine SKS any time.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:39:49 PM EDT
[#8]
One of Trump's last executive orders was that the G3 was to be the new standard issue for the US military. Fact.

Anyone who disagrees is a Biden-loving faggot.

Attachment Attached File

POTUS inspecting one of the first new Army rifles, Jan 5th 2021

Attachment Attached File

US SF receiving training on the new battle rifle from allied instructors, Jan 10th 2021

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:51:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
One of Trump's last executive orders was that the G3 was to be the new standard issue for the US military. Fact.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135411/1492379461648_jpg-1818832.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135411/146473348_10160772132429408_153102944861-1818828.JPG

US SF receiving training on the new battle rifle from allied instructors, Jan 10th 2021

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135411/146680577_10160772132439408_452719637698-1818829.JPG
View Quote

Nice.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:06:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135411/1492379461648_jpg-1818832.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135411/146473348_10160772132429408_153102944861-1818828.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135411/146680577_10160772132439408_452719637698-1818829.JPG
View Quote

LOFL...

Clearly the Make Americans love G3's Again platform.

Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:38:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:00:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The Garand was used thru WWII  and Korea and worked well in a wide variety of conditions.  Unreliable was not something they had a problem with. Enough with the revisionist history.  It was the best rifle in both conflicts that was issued in meaningful numbers*.

*a few thousand MP44's fall into the category of way too little, way too late and I would take a M1 over an 10 round fixed magazine SKS any time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
G3 rifles are good but have some drawbacks.  They're all heavy because of that massive receiver and bolt carrier.  The charging handle is awkward and the other ergonomics might be bad too depending on the configuration and furniture.  The trigger's a bit heavy.  

I'd rather have an M14-type.  It weighs about a pound less, has a perfect trigger, better sights (longer radius, click-adjustable windage, more elevation range, better sight picture, no wobble in the rear aperture), has a shorter profile top-to-bottom, can take a shooting sling, is easier to clean, etc.  The action's open but that might work both ways if you need to clear the debris out with your fingers.  

While it's absolutely true that the Garand was the best rifle of it's era, it's also true that the design is vulnerable to external debris. This drawback was known during WWII; Time magazine even did a story on it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That brass catcher must be hella strong, my old G3 could probably break a window ejecting cases.
View Quote

The brass usually impacts the upper, steel part of the brass catcher before falling down in the rubber bag.

It's referred to as "Elefantpungen", the elephant scrotum.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The brass usually impacts the upper, steel part of the brass catcher before falling down in the rubber bag.

View Quote

Where might one acquire such a scrotum?
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 1:56:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few were sold as surplus when the AK4B replaced the AK4 (there's slight differences in the attachment point), but I think most were scrapped. I rarely see them on the 2nd hand market.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
While I own and enjoy my FAL and G3, they are not what I'd grab first. The AR10 is an old battle rifle design that I can still get on board with. Both the AR15 and AR10 just seem to be winning.
View Quote

I had a FAL. Big, heavy log of a rifle with no real redeeming qualities. It looked great hanging on the wall. Inaccurate as hell. Don't miss it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My Century Arms C308 has been pretty good.

I think I paid about $600 a few years ago for it. No complaints from me.
View Quote

Same, I enjoy mine a lot. No issues as of yet.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 2:45:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

While it's absolutely true that the Garand was the best rifle of it's era, it's also true that the design is vulnerable to external debris. This drawback was known during WWII; Time magazine even did a story on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The USMC brass were basically forced to adopt the M1, in part by their lower ranks "acquiring" them whenever possible*.  They were also echoing the US Army Ordinance people that were worried about "wasting ammo".  Mind you no rifle is perfect or will ever be including the M16/M4. If you throw enough stuff in the action, it will cause problems.

*despite the crayon jokes, Marines are not actually stupid.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:40:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I had a FAL. Big, heavy log of a rifle with no real redeeming qualities. It looked great hanging on the wall. Inaccurate as hell. Don't miss it.
View Quote

Agreed, I had two. One was a pristine STG-58 and the other an Izzy LB. Both have been long gone and I don’t miss either. They never did anything for me, I just didn’t see the allure to them. Now for some a odd reason I do have an itch for a paratrooper but again it does nothing better than my 16 inch AR-10. I just want one though....
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 1:37:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The USMC brass were basically forced to adopt the M1, in part by their lower ranks "acquiring" them whenever possible*.  They were also echoing the US Army Ordinance people that were worried about "wasting ammo".  Mind you no rifle is perfect or will ever be including the M16/M4. If you throw enough stuff in the action, it will cause problems.

*despite the crayon jokes, Marines are not actually stupid.
View Quote
The USMC wasn't forced to adopt it and their lower ranks weren't stealing them either.

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:22:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The USMC wasn't forced to adopt it and their lower ranks weren't stealing them either.

View Quote
I read that they literally were stealing them from the Army on Guadalcanal.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 2:03:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve read the same thing as well
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:27:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
His/karls WWSD is just a nothing special AR wrapped up in ego.
View Quote

Apparently you missed the entirety of what they were thinking of which they've said many times and its in the cocking name.

Another thing not related to the quote there are so many bible thumpers here that have the book so far up their ass they dont even realize that they have less of a chance to get into the land of god than the satanists do.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:39:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
While I don't doubt the M1 can be stopped with a lot of external debris, I give 2 fucks if Time did a story on it or not.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:32:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Apparently you missed the entirety of what they were thinking of which they've said many times and its in the cocking name.

Another thing not related to the quote there are so many bible thumpers here that have the book so far up their ass they dont even realize that they have less of a chance to get into the land of god than the satanists do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
His/karls WWSD is just a nothing special AR wrapped up in ego.

You might want to actually read the Bible before you decide you know the tenets of the Faith.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:47:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much the whole USMC had garands EXCEPT the combat divisions by the time Guadalcanal was invaded.  1st MarDiv did take several hundred garands ashore on 7 Aug.

The USMC issued garands to the rear echelon troops first..the infantry last.

By early '43 they were fully equipped with garands as required.

Did they steal some?  Probably...hell Marines do that to other services...I did.
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top