User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:17:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I wish they would bring this back for us to buy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The 556 SAW the SEALs used 23 years before the Army finally adopted the M249. Also modular weapon system.
http://weaponblueprints.com/mongo/pictures/Stoner-commando-left-side.jpg

I wish they would bring this back for us to buy.

Stoner 63?
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#2]
The original Garand rifle in .276 pederson?. 10 rounds and 2/3 the size. Would have been a much more useful weapon imo and would of eliminated the m1 carbine.

M1 carbine also should be on this list.

MG42 , STG rifle and the FG 42.

Pps43 I'd also a damn good weapon. I have a parts kit of one and it's literally 5 pieces. Thing doesn't even have an ejector in a normal sense, the front of the recoil spring does that job. Genius. Also uses a double stack magazine.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:51:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Girardoni Air Rifle..1780’s
View Quote

This is the most advanced rifle of any age.  This would be like me producing a Star Trek phaser right now.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I agree but not for the squeeze cocking grip - instead I see it as trendsetting for being an ultra slim,  fixed barrel, single stack 9mm designed for carry.   It was about 30 years ahead of most of the new CC semis on the market today.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I agree but not for the squeeze cocking grip - instead I see it as trendsetting for being an ultra slim,  fixed barrel, single stack 9mm designed for carry.   It was about 30 years ahead of most of the new CC semis on the market today.

The PPK did a lot of that.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 8:04:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Which leads back to the Winchester 1905, then the Winchester 1907.

Semi auto, box fed, intermediate cartridge, made in....1905.
View Quote

While the cartridge was heavily inspired by the .32 WSL, the M1 was lighter, simpler, had a superior (ie, non blowback) action.

The rifle (the 1905 an 07) itself didn't really inspire much, carbines firing "intermediate" loads existed before even the self loading Winchesters
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 8:12:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The original Garand rifle in .276 pederson?. 10 rounds and 2/3 the size. Would have been a much more useful weapon imo and would of eliminated the m1 carbine.

View Quote

This is incorrect. The .276 garand was nearly the same size as the M1, and only about 14oz lighter

You'd still have the carbine show up

Personally, i think giving up 2 rounds and taking an extra pound isn't a bad trade for having ammo commonality with your automatic rifles and MG's.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 8:21:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Remington Model 08

Link Posted: 4/14/2023 8:25:15 AM EDT
[#8]
the AR15

Link Posted: 4/14/2023 9:06:08 AM EDT
[#9]
The Colt 1903 pocket hammerless along with it's little brother the 1908 deserve a nod. Some mentioned the Savage 1907. Savage made it in response to the 1903

In an age where smooth lined, single stack, and easily concealable pistols are in fashion, the 1903 was 120 years ahead of it's time. It had one of the first successfully mass marketed grip safeties that I am aware of.1903
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 9:34:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm going to go in a different direction here and nominate the Savage 110.

One of the first rifles designed from the ground up to be user adjustable, inexpensive, and highly accurate.  Interchangeable barrels.  Adjustable trigger.  It bsically saved the company during hard financial times, and the innovative manufacturing techniques paved the way for lots of other gun makers to produce equally affordable, yet highly accurate boomsticks.

The average guy didn't need to be a home gunsmith, nor did he have to spend his hard-earned cash having a professional gunsmith fuss around with trigger work, recrowning, and action bedding to see good, useful accuracy.  

Link Posted: 4/14/2023 1:29:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

While the cartridge was heavily inspired by the .32 WSL, the M1 was lighter, simpler, had a superior (ie, non blowback) action.

The rifle (the 1905 an 07) itself didn't really inspire much, carbines firing "intermediate" loads existed before even the self loading Winchesters
View Quote

I would disagree on that.  The carbine trigger and magazine were adapted directly from the 1905 by Winchester in the development of the carbine.

Larry Ruth had a 1905 in his collection of Carbine stuff that was recently liquidated.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#12]
HK P7-M13
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 10:16:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Girardoni Air Rifle..1780’s
View Quote

An important reason why the Lewis & Clark expedition was successful.  It made the company look like wizards to the Indians and got a lot of them laid.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 10:19:40 PM EDT
[#14]
The Girardoni air rifle is a very worth mention.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 3:45:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
EM-2 bullpup

Johnson rifle, LMG, and carbine
View Quote

The Brits talk up the EM-2, but it failed two pretty rigorous NATO firearms tests.

Its the Avro Arrow of the firearms world.

Another really innovative design was the MP-40
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 3:48:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Any of the Newton rifles have a serious claim, too.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top