Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/27/2022 7:17:21 PM EDT
…near me . What should I avoid at all cost ? Are their tool boxes any good ? Any good or bad experiences appreciated . Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Avoid harbor freight at all cost.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

For all the whining Arf does about China it sure loves HF and Walmart
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:22:59 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a lot of miss items there, a lot -- like anything Chicago Electric.

But some of their stuff is legit. I have their aluminum jack and works great. I have some Pittsburgh Pro tools which aren't bad, they rival Kobalt or Husky. Good place for consumables too.

ETA: Buuut Chynuuuh
What are you using to post? And I'd love an American made aluminum jack that doesn't cost north of $500. At this point, you just do the best you can to not buy China shit.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:23:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Sometimes HF screws up and sells some decent products, choose carefully.   Often, HF sell cheap crap for cheap.    We have some HF US General roller tool boxes at work.   They are decent quality, better than my entry level Sears roller from 25 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I recommend the 18v cordless hammer.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#6]
All the power tools I have bought from HF over the years are still going strong. Yes I have Milwaukee and Bosch power tools too. But for cheap power tools that work, I have no problem with HF.

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
All the power tools I have bought from HF over the years are still going strong. Yes I have Milwaukee and Bosch power tools too. But for cheap power tools that work, I have no problem with HF.

View Quote

Av is ironic
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This.
View Quote

Blame the federal government.

They are the ones who make minimum wages, cost of living, taxes, cost of production, and EPA.  Its all way way way too high.

I'm not spending 4x more for made in america.  That's just stupid.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why?  They make a lot of really good stuff.  Especially the last few years, quality is high on certain products.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Their Hand tools, sockets, us general toolboxes,floor jack, torque wrenches, and nitrile gloves have worked fine for me.

Wait for percent off coupons to come out everyone once in a while like 30% off for items under $10
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I avoid Chinese products wherever possible.

So I don't buy things at HF.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a metal shear on sale there.   For doing thin aluminum (which is all I wanted it for) its fine.   Its definitely not beefy enough to do the kind of shit they rated it for, tho.

Other stuff?  Meh.   They're probably ok for consumables like sandpaper and nitrile gloves.   Hand tools that you won't cry about losing if someone steals.

Everything with a weight/load rating, I'd multiply by .33 to get the more realistic figure.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Longest lasting g things I bought from there

Power pole saw

Tool bag

Warrior power drill ( battery won't die )

Solar motion security light ( they last like three-4 years )

Drive way alarm

I love the focus led flashlights that use 4 aaa batteries

I keep one in the car and one in the house
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Harbor Freight has some good stuff, but it's hit and miss.  The toolboxes aren't bad, but there are other options elsewhere within that price range when they go on sale and whatnot, I particularly like the side boxes for mobile applications...

As a general rule, I get disposable things there: drill bits, cutting wheels, driver heads, AND shit that I'm gonna break doing a single job.

Whatever you get, if you don't break it the first time, will be rusted solid before you need it again.

Cheap store, cheap shit.  Proceed with caution.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:32:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Huh, the vast majority of products that I own via the Hazard Fraught are all marked "made in Taiwan...." I guess I'm buying the wrong shit.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They are the ones who make minimum wages, cost of living, taxes, cost of production, and EPA.  Its all way way way too high.

View Quote

What do you think makes things from China cheap compared to everywhere else?

I'll give you a hint, it isn't the US govt.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:32:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm in mourning today. One of my $10 HF angle grinders died this morning. It had a life of HARD use though. The other had another 45 minute continuous session with a wire brush on it for a second day in a row. This one has had many hours cleaning rusty metal. It has been tortured many times and is still going.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This.

View Quote

Not everyone is as rich as you, Daddy Warbux
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:33:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

So China bad unless it's convenient or saves a couple bucks...

I think if people were more honest about their positions they'd be happier.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Harbor Freight is ok for a lot if thing's.

Just avoid power tool's.
If your not a professional mechanic then the hand tool's are ok.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Bullshit.
View Quote
Not bullshit, ask my wife who is amazed at what I'll spend to avoid supporting the chicoms. Money well spent.
Quoted:

Huh, the vast majority of products that I own via the Hazard Fraught are all marked "made in Taiwan...." I guess I'm buying the wrong shit.
View Quote
No issues with made in Taiwan. Whenever I've looked at buying something from them though, it's been chinese and I've passed.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:34:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

US government regulations, unions and taxes makes it favorable to build it in China instead of the US.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Not my preferred place, but sometimes all you need is a cheap tool that will be rarely used and they have something that fits the bill.

If you see anything there that does eye surgery, or can split the atom, resist the urge to go cheap.  Those are things worth shelling out big bucks for.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

So China bad unless it's convenient or saves a couple bucks...

I think if people were more honest about their positions they'd be happier.
View Quote

China is bad.  Wasting my money on US made shit costing 4x more is bad.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#26]
I can recommend the Braun work lights. I have 3 different ones , all are first rate. Especially like the slim rechargeable one
I also recently bought the 3/8 drive swivel impact sockets. Should have bought them years ago
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Hoping the US General mechanic cart goes on sale soon.

ETA: I've had a dual action polisher from HF for years that's worked great.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:37:28 PM EDT
[#28]
You smell that?

Smells like Chyna.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not everyone is as rich as you, Daddy Warbux
View Quote

I'm a blue collar guy not an Arfmillionaire
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#30]
There is some 'decent-for-the-price' stuff there, but there is also a lot of cheap worthless crap.
Sometimes if you only need a one-time use tool and then toss it, then some HF stuff is good for that.
HF has a lot of stuff made in Taiwan, it's better than the shit made in China.
Most of the time you can get an idea just by looking at it (and getting some Youtube reviews).  
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Their live animal trap is legit.  So far, it has survived three trash pandas and two skunks.

Traps from Sportsman's Warehouse and Tractor supply didn't last one night.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Avoid HF pressure washers.  Walmart has MUCH better deals.  Practically FREE!
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

So you're saying that requirements from the EPA, OSHA, NLRB, IRS, and so many more alphabet agencies had nothing to do with pushing manufacturing off our shores to places that are cheaper and easier to operate from?
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:38:51 PM EDT
[#34]
My 3-ton floor jack has been perfect for 7+ years.  Heaviest thing it lifts is either the front or rear  of my 6500-lb Suburban.  It regularly lifts 3 4000-lb Wranglers, a half-ton crew cab Sierra, and the Suburban.

I have some HF hand tools and sockets - have yet to break a single one.  That includes using a few non-impact sockets on my 1/2-inch impact driver.  Like using the 18mm socket to remove seat bolts in a Wrangler.

And I have some of their Icon tools - really nice shit.

Their electric pole saw has also served me well for 3 years.  Ever since I moved off my postage stamp, I just drive around my property with a small generator to prune trees.

I'm a shade-tree kind of guy.  I don't need a $4000 set of professional tools. I don't use them that hard nor that frequently.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:38:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Tool boxes, floor jacks, shop presses, and most simple hand tools are good to go
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:39:38 PM EDT
[#36]
One opened a few months ago in my town. I have yet to go there. If we need something I send a employee. I know if I go it will be $1000 ticket

Much of their stuff is great. Just avoid Pittsburgh for tools
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:39:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:40:24 PM EDT
[#38]
I bought a few made in USA things there. but its mostly chinese crap.

I bought the yukon rack they have on sale, but its not as sturdy as the display. wondering if they drilled it or glued it.  I shook it a bit at the store, and it held.  mine does not seem to be as good.  though more sturdy than the metal one I looked at Lowe's
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#39]
The Icon stuff is good to go. Not quite SnapOn but really close. I’d put it above Matco and Mac, just below SnapOn. Some of the extension sizes are odd, just not the same lengths as everyone else has always made.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Two bads make a good?

I think the general Arf position of accusing everyone of being whores to China while shipping money to China is an interesting one.

It's like the new one where last year we wanted to start a nuclear war but now we're all afraid of nuclear war.

Or the we "hate" cancel culture but will cancel the shit out of anyone that doesn't toe the line.

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:42:26 PM EDT
[#41]
I shop there all the time.

You have to be careful, sometimes Lowes has better stuff for cheaper.

Overall they sell pretty good stuff for reasonable prices.

I'm not a professional tradesman, so I don't need a $2k toolbox. The $500 ones from HF serve me plenty well. Same logic applies to a LOT of their stuff.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:42:58 PM EDT
[#42]
I’ve got a china freight toolbox full of shade tree hazard fraught mechanics tools. They’ve lasted me more than long enough for routine maintenance on vehicles and power sports.

I can see I didn’t make it before the mUh ChYnA posters.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:43:57 PM EDT
[#43]
The Pittsburgh and the Daytona jacks are good to go. Icon is the high-end line and is legit. The Doyle branded electrical tools are good. The tool chests are good. The cordless tools are great but I can’t comment on professional use.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Their ammo cans are very nice.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:45:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Two bads make a good?

I think the general Arf position of accusing everyone of being whores to China while shipping money to China is an interesting one.

It's like the new one where last year we wanted to start a nuclear war but now we're all afraid of nuclear war.

Or the we "hate" cancel culture but will cancel the shit out of anyone that doesn't toe the line.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two bads make a good?

I'm saying there are no good choices.  Buy shit from HF (a US company), which makes its shit in China, or search high and low to find something made in America that costs 4x more.

HF gets a lot of hate because the US company makes its stuff in China, but so does nearly every other US company.  If its not 100% built in China, its components are made in China and assembled here.

Fact of the matter is fucking everything, one way or another, comes from China.   It's a disgrace and people like DJT was trying to fix it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#46]
I use the $4 plastic 30 cal ammo cans for mouse poison.  Works great (and keeps the cats from eating it...and yes I know, the cats aren't doing their job )

ETA: I drill a 1 inch hole for the mouse entrance
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Their hand tools are decent for the average diy-er and so are the tool boxes. I generally avoid the electric tools, but I've bought some of the cheap-enough-to-be-disposable power tools and I still have all of them and use them regularly. Returns are painless and I've never had them ask why I'm returning something. They have a lot of useful stuff that used to be a lot cheaper but the prices have gone up the last year or two. Rubber gloves, air powered paint guns, pin nails, other consumables like grinding discs and stuff like that can be had for cheap. Are they as good as the brand name stuff? No, not usually, but they will get the job done for the weekend warrior.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Harbor Freight breaker bars are damned decent.
View Quote

Yes.  I have the ratcheting 1/2" drive version.  That's had a cheater pipe added a bunch of times, still haven't broken or bent it.

And this, if you do any woodwork: Pull Saw.

Mine is in a vinyl sleeve marked "TopMan".  Scary sharp even years later

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:51:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Tarps, the four-wheel furniture dollies, solid tires for carts, casters and a few other things are fine.  The rest is a risk.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 7:51:15 PM EDT
[#50]
US General toolboxes are pretty decent.  Very decent for the price.

A Pittsburgh wrench set (up to 3/4") was $7 the other day.  I put two sets in tractor toolboxes, don't care if they get lost.  But good enough to work in a pinch.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top