Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A shame we can't tap all that energy somehow
View Quote

Might as well make it our nuclear waste repository, couldn't be much worse.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:33:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The sheer amount of ash would be so great that it would encircle the entire atmosphere within a few weeks. Global temps would drop by at least 10 degrees. This would last for at least a few years. Combines with the immediate fallout of fire and brimstone, it would be a extinction level event. Most life will not survive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When it blows I hope theres a cat 5 hurricane headed for the Texas coast to turn the ash cloud northwest

The sheer amount of ash would be so great that it would encircle the entire atmosphere within a few weeks. Global temps would drop by at least 10 degrees. This would last for at least a few years. Combines with the immediate fallout of fire and brimstone, it would be a extinction level event. Most life will not survive.

Not even close to that.

This happens every few 100k-1000k years. There are a few super volcanoes, one even bigger than Yellow Stone, Toba most likely the most recent "big" one she spat out 74k years ago.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You might want to wait on eating the cat until after the volcano blows and you will have something to eat besides birds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it happening?

It might be...

2,000,000 - 1,200,000 = 800,000 years
1,200,000 - 640,000 = 560,000 years
640,000 - 0 = 640,000 years

Could be any day now.  

I'm going to go ahead and eat my neighbor's cat just to be on the safe side.

You might want to wait on eating the cat until after the volcano blows and you will have something to eat besides birds.

I am being proactive.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Gotta admit this thought crossed my mind as well
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why don't they just drill to the chamber and lance it?  

(Only half-joking)

Gotta admit this thought crossed my mind as well

That would have to be one hell of a BOP on that rig.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#5]
This is long known info...

Super Volcanos are a bitch.

If that plug lets go, it is SHTF time.

Keep em dry!
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When it blows I hope theres a cat 5 hurricane headed for the Texas coast to turn the ash cloud northwest

Combines. WTF...like this?

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Super volcano's are no joke. If that one blew we would be screwed.
View Quote

And it is overdue.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Could be any day now.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it happening?

It might be...

Could be any day now.  

When should we start drinking our own urine.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Been there the whole time and they just figured it out.

meh
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:48:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:51:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You cheery Devil, You! It's like living here with the missiles: the living will envy the dead.

The  Ol' Crew  Chief
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:53:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Cockroaches and Keith Richards will survive
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cockroaches and Keith Richards will survive

Ya made hork a beer up my nose.
Need someone to morph Keith and a roach, is why I laughed, I had an instant Mental Picture.
And, have been hearing about this event for awhile, that's a Lot of Magma.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I for one welcome my new magma overlords with open arms.
View Quote

This man gets it.  NEVER piss off the Lava People.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#15]
This is something new? I have seen news reports about this before the internet was born.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

To anyone thinking Volcano's are not one of the most destructive, if not the most destructive forces on earth, I present Chile, 2015.

http://a.abcnews.com/images/International/AP_chile_volcano_3_jtm_150303_4x3_992.jpg
View Quote
I can't tell from that picture, is that with or without beans?  

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#17]
If Yellowstone goes, I'm probably close enough to momentarily surf the pyroclastic flow assuming my ashes aren't already airborne.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A shame we can't tap all that energy somehow

Drill geothermal wells near the pocket.
Pipe in salt water.  
Use the distilled water to power steam turbines and send the condensate to California.

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:06:28 PM EDT
[#19]
This information confuses me. So here are a couple of videos to express my confusion:

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I got 3 pmags for the 1st out-of-work fracker to set up shop near D.C. and aim for this thing.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:14:51 PM EDT
[#21]
The top of the magma chamber is a minimum of 80,000 feet deep, the method of seismic tomography is not designed for accurate depth measurements

From the Kola Superdeep borehole Wikipedia site

"The hole reached 12,262 m (40,230 ft) in 1989. In that year, the hole depth was expected to reach 13,500 m (44,300 ft) by the end of 1990 and 15,000 m (49,000 ft) by 1993.[5][6] However, because of higher-than-expected temperatures at this depth and location, 180 °C (356 °F) instead of expected 100 °C (212 °F), drilling deeper was deemed unfeasible and the drilling was stopped in 1992.[4] With the projected further increase in temperature with increasing depth, drilling to 15,000 m (49,000 ft) would have meant working at a temperature of 300 °C (570 °F), where the drill bit would no longer work."

Drilling in the caldera with the higher geothermal gradient I am guessing the temperatures would reach 300 C by less than 20000 feet so poking a hole in the chamber is only in the realm of bad movies.

I think the enviros would get upset with a geothermal energy project that would likely affect the plumbing system that powers the geysers.

The tiltmeter network in the area will tell us if the magma is moving upward.  

Then you can eat the neighbor's cat and dog.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:21:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The top of the magma chamber is a minimum of 80,000 feet deep, the method of seismic tomography is not designed for accurate depth measurements

From the Kola Superdeep borehole Wikipedia site

"The hole reached 12,262 m (40,230 ft) in 1989. In that year, the hole depth was expected to reach 13,500 m (44,300 ft) by the end of 1990 and 15,000 m (49,000 ft) by 1993.[5][6] However, because of higher-than-expected temperatures at this depth and location, 180 °C (356 °F) instead of expected 100 °C (212 °F), drilling deeper was deemed unfeasible and the drilling was stopped in 1992.[4] With the projected further increase in temperature with increasing depth, drilling to 15,000 m (49,000 ft) would have meant working at a temperature of 300 °C (570 °F), where the drill bit would no longer work."

Drilling in the caldera with the higher geothermal gradient I am guessing the temperatures would reach 300 C by less than 20000 feet so poking a hole in the chamber is only in the realm of bad movies.

I think the enviros would get upset with a geothermal energy project that would likely affect the plumbing system that powers the geysers.

The tiltmeter network in the area will tell us if the magma is moving upward.  

Then you can eat the neighbor's cat and dog.
View Quote

Don't drill with mud.   Drill with liquid nitrogen and foam.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Could be any day now.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it happening?

It might be...

Could be any day now.  

That's an euphemism, right?
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:26:56 PM EDT
[#24]
If life is still here after the last 2 eruptions. Life will go on.

I'd head to Mexico illegally and with out papers. Armed to the teeth.

Even with news of the larger deeper caldera, not all of the caldera would empty.

Good news is hot climates would become more temperate.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Either Bush's fault or Climate Change.......you decide
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#26]
If it blew the entire western Unites States would be under 10ft of toxic ash.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#27]
So are we sure we can't just kill it with fire?

I mean that is typically the trusted arfcom solution to big scary things right?
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:46:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If life is still here after the last 2 eruptions. Life will go on.

I'd head to Mexico illegally and with out papers. Armed to the teeth.

Even with news of the larger deeper caldera, not all of the caldera would empty.

Good news is hot climates would become more temperate.
View Quote

Sure it would go on, just like it did 640,000 years ago, and with roughly the same number of people and same level of technology.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:01:36 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm always annoyed by predictions of death and mayhem from stuff like this. The biggest eruptions in modern history, going back to Krakatoa and beyond, hardly resulted in mass kill-offs of civilization. Even if the Yellowstone eruption were 3 or 4 times as massive, it would still be a fairly localized event ... have you looked at how big the United States is lately?

As far as blacking out the entire atmosphere with dust and 30% of the Earth's population starving, that's just goofy. The Earth is a big place, too, and that dust would dissipate to a large degree as it spread though out the atmosphere. Sure, it would have an effect, just as Mt. St. Helens did, but the dire predictions about that one didn't exactly pan out, either. Ten feet of ash over the whole U. S.? Are you kidding?

It would be a messy event, and lots of folks in the states surrounding Yellowstone would be in trouble, but I somehow think the rest of us would survive.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:08:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

All the birds will be gone.  We will be drinking coffee made with snow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it happening?

It might be...

Could be any day now.  

All the birds will be gone.  We will be drinking coffee made with snow.

There are two left. I can't wait 'til Tuesday. They are yummy.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:16:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This is one of those TEOTWAKI scenarios that we can't really prepare for or do anything about.  No real point in worrying about it.

It would darken the skies globally and result in a miniature ice age that would last for a few years.  During that time probably 30-60% of humanity will die of starvation or war over resources.  It isn't one of those things that would end our species(unless it caused a nuclear war to break out over resources), but it would definitely set us back a good 50+ years.

I guess you could theoretically prepare for it by maintaining a stock of food that could last you for 3-5 years.  You'd also want a stock of seeds and farming supplies so you could start growing more food once conditions permitted it.  In addition to those requirements you'd need a way to get clean water because all of the rivers and such would be fouled by the ash fallout.  Then there's the issue of the hungry mobs that would be roaming around searching for supplies and the fact that the govt might declare marshal law and 'confiscate' your supplies and guns for the greater good of public order.

Good luck with that
Personally I'd just sit by the caldera in a lawn chair and watch one of the greatest fireworks displays we could ever see
The third option is to become the leader of the hungry roaming mobs and build your empire and harem of soccer moms like the Apex Predator you are.
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/_w61HI9ewCo/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote

Food for 3-5 years. Check
Seeds. Check
Clean water. Check
Hungrey mobs. Check
I need to add 60 cords of wood to my list.
And a moat.

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:24:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#34]
This is good news. That much magma guarantees that we will not have to rely on foreign imports of magma for decades to come.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yellowstone wouldn't be a species threatening event but it would mean a complete change in the world's demographic makeup.  The U.S. would be finished as a world power.  Probably a third of the world's population would starve in the first couple years.  It would be turning the clock on human advancements back at least a hundred years.
View Quote

Yeah, but would we finally be able to get some .22?
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm always annoyed by predictions of death and mayhem from stuff like this. The biggest eruptions in modern history, going back to Krakatoa and beyond, hardly resulted in mass kill-offs of civilization. Even if the Yellowstone eruption were 3 or 4 times as massive, it would still be a fairly localized event ... have you looked at how big the United States is lately?
View Quote

The biggest eruptions in modern history are rather small in comparison to what supervolancoes are capable of.

It is estimated that the last of the Yellowstone eruptions - which was by no means the largest - ejected about 1000 cubic kilometers of material. By comparison, Krakatoa was only around 25 cubic kilometers.

We aren't talking four times as powerful. We're talking forty times - or even more.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Why don't they just drill to the chamber and lance it?  

(Only half-joking)
View Quote

Think of a bottle of coca-cola that has just been shaken up.  Now, take the top off... that is what will happen according to scientists.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:29:34 PM EDT
[#38]
should I sell my place in Jackson Hole for what I can get, right now?
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll give you $100 for it, sight unseen, right now!
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Well, they could open it up and toss in a virgin or two, to appease the Fire Gods

There's just one problem.

Where are you going to find a virgin in Wyoming?
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:52:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Well, they could open it up and toss in a virgin or two, to appease the Fire Gods

There's just one problem.

Where are you going to find a virgin in Wyoming?
View Quote

I know an Arfcommer that wants to move there.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:14:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The size of volume of the chamber is 11,500 cubic MILES.  If I remember math right, that means that each side of the cube containing that material would be around 3800 miles.  Thinking of a magma chamber that is roughly the size of most of this country is pretty staggering.
If nature decides to blow up that one, there wouldn't be a damned thing anyone could do about it, and I imagine it would end most life on earth.
View Quote

Lol.  You don't remember math right.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:17:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The size of volume of the chamber is 11,500 cubic MILES.  If I remember math right, that means that each side of the cube containing that material would be around 3800 miles.  Thinking of a magma chamber that is roughly the size of most of this country is pretty staggering.
If nature decides to blow up that one, there wouldn't be a damned thing anyone could do about it, and I imagine it would end most life on earth.
View Quote

More like 23 miles per side.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:24:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Does this mean Anne Margeret's not coming?
View Quote

It is okay as long as they put one of her bras on display at the Smithsonian Museum
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you can't find out how to get your calculator to do cube root, just divide by three :)
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:33:04 PM EDT
[#46]
... in other news, magma is believed to exist below the entire surface of the earth at some depth or another
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:33:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a rule about welching.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:34:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Don't worry because an environmental impact study has not been filed or approved by the Federal Government so an eruption can not take place.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:48:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it happening?

It might be...

Could be any day now.  

I drink a half a cup a day just so I get accustomed to it.  Easiest way to prep.  Start off with a shot glass a day...trust me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#50]
You guys better get blown before she blows.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top