User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 3:05:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I know it doesn't answer the question but at 42 years old, I can do 25 on a good day.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/rock711/998590_10151660927887778_237174267_n_zps2d8ef7e4.jpg
View Quote
look at the brain on brad!

Link Posted: 12/16/2013 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:ETA- my wife does ~20 deadhangs so she even beats most of you guys
View Quote

What roids is she on?

That's seriously impressive.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 4:49:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What roids is she on?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:ETA- my wife does ~20 deadhangs so she even beats most of you guys

What roids is she on?

Just a good diet and hard work. A few years back she couldn't do any. Now shes well over 30 kipping and around 20 deadhangs. She also has a 300# deadlift
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You may be an exception, but in the fitness world, bodyweight exercises and weightlifting according to multiples of your bodyweight are not considered arbitrary because they scale with your body weight.

Examples of what I consider a decent regular Joe baseline strength level -

10 pullups
40 pushups
1 rep 1x bodyweight bench press (meaning 1x your bodweight on the bar)
1 rep 1x bodyweight squat
1 rep 1.5x bodyweight deadlift
1 rep 0.5x bodyweight overhead press
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
yes but it is not arbitrary...I am larger than most on hear in size... my experience level in physical confrontation is higher than most here (number of fights as a grown man due to job choices in my life)....I am not an MMA fighter,  I am not a "weight lifter", I am not a bad ass

but my ability to protect and provide for my family is above average.

You may be an exception, but in the fitness world, bodyweight exercises and weightlifting according to multiples of your bodyweight are not considered arbitrary because they scale with your body weight.

Examples of what I consider a decent regular Joe baseline strength level -

10 pullups
40 pushups
1 rep 1x bodyweight bench press (meaning 1x your bodweight on the bar)
1 rep 1x bodyweight squat
1 rep 1.5x bodyweight deadlift
1 rep 0.5x bodyweight overhead press

All but the pull ups are easy for me, 5-6 at a time is my limit, less if I go wide arm.  Watching barstarzz on YouTube is my motivation this year to help with pull ups and dips.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Palms out is a lot harder for me.

Palms in, a middle-aged man should be able to do about 5 or so without breaking something.
View Quote

Palms out is harder for everyone. <-- Pull ups
Palms in is easier for everyone <-- Chin ups
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Is a squat no longer a squat if you bring the weight down and do many reps?
Is running no longer running if you run 400m instead of a marathon?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You folks bashing Crossfit-style kipping don't have a clue.
It's a different exercise than dead-hang with different goals.

The problem stems from them calling it a pull-up. If they called it a Cross Swing, no one would mention it.

Apples to oranges. Lowering weight or distance doesn't change the definition of the exercise, only it's difficulty. A pull-up with a weight belt is still a pull-up, only more difficult.
You aren't squatting if you don't lower the weight. You aren't running if you are walking. You aren't doing a pull-up if you are swinging in a circle.
The Cross Swing may be a fantastic exercise, but it's not a pull-up.

Link Posted: 12/16/2013 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#7]
10 dead-hang pull-ups is a good baseline.  I'd say 20+ would define a fit person.  More impressive if they're wide grip as opposed to a narrow grip.

Kipping pull-ups are just flat-out stupid.  Where in the real world would you ever flail like a dead fish to pull yourself up?
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 6:04:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Less than 10 and the individual is worthless.

20-40 for a decent man.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 6:27:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#10]
What's funny is that I've known a lot of genuinely strong/fit people, and their pull up numbers are (on average) less than what most people here say should be average...

The joys of the internet.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
10 dead-hang pull-ups is a good baseline.  I'd say 20+ would define a fit person.  More impressive if they're wide grip as opposed to a narrow grip.

Kipping pull-ups are just flat-out stupid.  Where in the real world would you ever flail like a dead fish to pull yourself up?
View Quote

Where in the world do you ever have to strictly pull yourself up by your arms.

I'm not going to defend the cross swing, but most applications that involve pulling yourself up, you could also use your feet to propel.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm not going to defend the cross swing, but most applications that involve pulling yourself up, you could also use your feet to propel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scaling a wall?
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Apples to oranges. Lowering weight or distance doesn't change the definition of the exercise, only it's difficulty. A pull-up with a weight belt is still a pull-up, only more difficult.

You aren't squatting if you don't lower the weight. You aren't running if you are walking. You aren't doing a pull-up if you are swinging in a circle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You folks bashing Crossfit-style kipping don't have a clue.

It's a different exercise than dead-hang with different goals.

The problem stems from them calling it a pull-up. If they called it a Cross Swing, no one would mention it.

Wrong.
The definition of a pull-up is nothing more than starting at full extension to chin over the bar.thats it. From there there are many variations. Weighted, dead hangs, kipping, L etc...

Eta back before the usmc  required dead hangs they used to allow kipping pull-ups. So  your argument is that the usmc did not have pull-ups in the pft because kipping was allowed?
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Scaling a wall?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scaling a wall?

I would still put my feet against wall and use my legs to help drive over.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 5:26:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This.

A single set of a 10 unbroken is a good indicator of general fitness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At least 10.          

This.

A single set of a 10 unbroken is a good indicator of general fitness.

This.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 9:50:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Getting over an obstacle perhaps? When would you need to pull your self up unaided in the real world? Are you going to dead hang through an open window or over a fence?
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What's funny is that I've known a lot of genuinely strong/fit people, and their pull up numbers are (on average) less than what most people here say should be average...

View Quote

This. I'll bet there aren't more than 3 people posting in this thread than can do 10 dead hangs today.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I know it doesn't answer the question but at 42 years old, I can do 25 on a good day.

<a href="http://s127.photobucket.com/user/rock711/media/998590_10151660927887778_237174267_n_zps2d8ef7e4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/rock711/998590_10151660927887778_237174267_n_zps2d8ef7e4.jpg</a>
View Quote

Friends don't let friends skip leg day...
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#20]
10 real ones.  None of this bullshit bobbing up and down, or not fully extending.

Grab bar, pull up smoothly so chin is over bar, let down slowly until arms fully extended and the only muscles you use are your grip muscles (back relaxed/stretched).  Then pull up.  Repeat.  So many fucking cheaters doing "pull-ups(ish)".

These days my fat ass can do 0.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 10:10:29 AM EDT
[#21]
ill say at least 10, but ill also say most couldnt do more than 5
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I would still put my feet against wall and use my legs to help drive over.
View Quote

And that would not be 'kipping' yourself up, but more of an assisted pull-up.  Please illustrate how you would use the kipping motion against a wall.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 10:15:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Getting over an obstacle perhaps? When would you need to pull your self up unaided in the real world? Are you going to dead hang through an open window or over a fence?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please explain how you will use the kipping motion while you are against a flat surface/wall?  And yes, you can scale a wall by jumping up, grabbing the top, and pulling yourself up.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Work a manual labor job in construction....I mean from footings to shingles and everything in between... everyday, 8 hrs, 5 days a week for 20+ years.
You do it if it's 90 degrees in sun to the -10 degrees with wind blowing snow up your ass.

You get home, you're tired. As a builder you see endless projects around the house, so on your time off...you continue to build.
Vacation is everyone else leaving...A day off consists of more building around the house or the Flu so bad you are a afraid to cough without shitting yourself.

You get back to me after your elbows, shoulders, knees, ankles and wrists are all but destroyed and compare how much of a 'man' one is by what bullshit school yard exercises he can do.

Link Posted: 12/17/2013 1:22:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Please explain how you will use the kipping motion while you are against a flat surface/wall?  And yes, you can scale a wall by jumping up, grabbing the top, and pulling yourself up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obviously you've never completed a Marine Corps obstacle course or scaled a wall.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2013 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Work a manual labor job in construction....I mean from footings to shingles and everything in between... everyday, 8 hrs, 5 days a week for 20+ years.
You do it if it's 90 degrees in sun to the -10 degrees with wind blowing snow up your ass.

You get home, you're tired. As a builder you see endless projects around the house, so on your time off...you continue to build.
Vacation is everyone else leaving...A day off consists of more building around the house or the Flu so bad you are a afraid to cough without shitting yourself.

You get back to me after your elbows, shoulders, knees, ankles and wrists are all but destroyed and compare how much of a 'man' one is by what bullshit school yard exercises he can do.

View Quote

My father made that mistake, I'll keep my body strong on my off time and take my chances working with inmates.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Obviously you've never completed a Marine Corps obstacle course or scaled a wall.  

http://i43.tinypic.com/fonptl.png

http://i42.tinypic.com/2i7a1s7.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can also use it to pull yourself onto an elevated platform.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This. I'll bet there aren't more than 3 people posting in this thread than can do 10 dead hangs today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/17/2013 1:38:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

you sound fat.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 1:38:23 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Wrong.

The definition of a pull-up is nothing more than starting at full extension to chin over the bar.thats it. From there there are many variations. Weighted, dead hangs, kipping, L etc...

Eta back before the usmc  required dead hangs they used to allow kipping pull-ups. So  your argument is that the usmc did not have pull-ups in the pft because kipping was allowed?
View Quote

I wasn't aware that the USMC performed the Cross Swing. We did pull-ups in the Army.

Link Posted: 12/17/2013 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds more like a mental problem.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 2:16:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No video of dead hangs, but I stand by my claims made in my earlier post. 1 down, 2 to go

http://youtu.be/UeCnX3cLxBE
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I wasn't aware that the USMC performed the Cross Swing. We did pull-ups in the Army.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.

Way before crossfit was even invented.

You also may be surprised to know that the hated "kip" is a gymnastics skill. Crossfit didn't invent it. Crossfit didn't invent any movements that I'm aware of. So naming a kipping pullup a "cross swing" is actually pretty retarded.

That's like saying a push-press isn't a press because you use leg drive and "cheat". A kipping pullup is still a pullup, you are just using hip drive.

ETA- The Army did pullups in their test? Never seen it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Haven't done one in a while.  Going to head downstairs when I can(watching the kiddo today) and see how many I can do nonstop....
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 2:33:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s127.photobucket.com/user/rock711/media/998590_10151660927887778_237174267_n_zps2d8ef7e4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/rock711/998590_10151660927887778_237174267_n_zps2d8ef7e4.jpg</a>

You mean the fat guys who wear the ballerina costumes in the gym and couldn't run a mile if a bear was chasing them?
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#36]
3X8 deadhangs after military press day last Saturday. Probably can do 12 with a warmup and no lifting beforehand.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 4:38:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

So free standing horizontal poles == wall  But no USMC for me, you got me on the pull-up thing then?

And yes I have scaled walls, roughly 12' tall.  You know how I pull myself up and over?  By jumping up and grabbing the top and then pulling myself up and over, not by flailing my body like an idiot.  All of the hardcore crossfit guys do it the same exact way (while making it look much easier).

Link Posted: 12/17/2013 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You also may be surprised to know that the hated "kip" is a gymnastics skill. Crossfit didn't invent it. Crossfit didn't invent any movements that I'm aware of. So naming a kipping pullup a "cross swing" is actually pretty retarded.

That's like saying a push-press isn't a press because you use leg drive and "cheat". A kipping pullup is still a pullup, you are just using hip drive.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.

Army:

CO "Can you do a pull-up?"

Soldier -"yes Sir, I think so."

CO- "Good enough for me."

I have no idea.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 6:26:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'll bet there aren't more than 3 people posting in this thread than can do 10 dead hangs today.
View Quote

I can name three in this thread I have zero doubt can do 10 dead hangs.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 6:55:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll bet there aren't more than 3 people posting in this thread than can do 10 dead hangs today.

I can name three in this thread I have zero doubt can do 10 dead hangs.

I just did ten a few minutes ago. Do it every day. I'd like to get it to 15 or 20, but its 10-12 max at one time right now.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 3:54:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Bench press day to 195#. Did ten deadhangs after warmup.

It takes work to be strong.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 4:24:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yup
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At least 10.          

Yup

1+
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 4:28:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Girls do less than 20 and men do 20 and over
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 4:36:06 AM EDT
[#45]
at least 87
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 4:38:57 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote

You bristle at comparing strength as the measure of a man, then boast that you've ground your body down with shitty manual labor.

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 4:40:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I have a smart phone and you guys. Bring a rope  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well I would say you should be able to do at least 1 to pull yourself out of a life/death situation right?
I have a smart phone and you guys. Bring a rope  

LOL, and an equestrian harness rigged for a sling load.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 5:32:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.

Well said.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 10:05:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

So free standing horizontal poles == wall  But no USMC for me, you got me on the pull-up thing then?

And yes I have scaled walls, roughly 12' tall.  You know how I pull myself up and over?  By jumping up and grabbing the top and then pulling myself up and over, not by flailing my body like an idiot.  All of the hardcore crossfit guys do it the same exact way (while making it look much easier).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Marines might climb obstacles on training courses which is fine, but in the real world with the US Army, I've scaled 12 foot security fence made of sharpened/barbed galvanized steel, while too drunk to walk, at night behind an ASDA store in Scotland to get back to my bunk 3 hours before work the next morning.  True manly measure...
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#50]
At least ten
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top