Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:06:56 PM EDT
[#1]
OP, you have all the openings spotted?

It would be bad to have one pop up right in back of you all pissed off and threatened.  Maybe have someone watching your 6 ...
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:14:38 PM EDT
[#2]
No experience with snake dens.  Where we hunt, we have LOTS of cottonmouths.  I don't fuck with them at all...AT ALL.  When I see them, they get #7 1/2 birdshot.  I am usually in waders...and I hope the boots, covered by 1000 denier are enough to stop one in the event I don't see one.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Birdshot?
View Quote
You didn't ask me but yes, that will do. I wouldn't waste buckshot on snakes.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:16:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

How about a stick to whack them in the head? Ammo be spendy.
View Quote
Thay might be all bitey an shit..
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:43:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a whole sled dog team worth of Rikki Tikki Tavi’s, that will sort them out quick!
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 12:07:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'd like to try a couple of cans of Great Stuff foam sealer sprayed in there. That nasty stuff is so sticky, it would surely glue them all into one big block of assholes.
View Quote
Or toss the cans in and shoot them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 12:12:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
M80?
View Quote
That’s what we did with tarantula & snake dens, when I was a kid in Texas.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 12:25:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Friend of mine got rid of gophers one by pumping 5 gallons of propane into the hole then igniting it.  Sure messed up his yard.  He didn't do things halfway.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 1:48:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Lots of dry ice, then seal up the holes. All these people talking about gas are on some Wiley Coyote stuff.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 2:05:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That stuff is for candyasses.

The good shit is Napalm-B.  I know it’s 50% polystrene, 25% low-octane gasoline, and 25% benzene.  Anyone know if those proportions are by weight or volume?
View Quote
It is California.....
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 2:09:41 AM EDT
[#11]
honeybadger
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 2:12:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I was at a box store today looking for stump killer.  I did find some Snake Repellant.  Actually had a picture of a rattlesnake on the label.  OP should try it and report back.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all of the replies folks, as usual I spent a lot of time laughing.

As fire and explosives are out of the question, I am leaning toward the poisonous gas / exhaust / dry ice suffocation route. I do want some kind of visual indicator (gopher smoke bomb or other as well) to show possible hidden escape routes.

One of my goals would be to dig up the nest afterward to confirm how large it was, and to send a bucket of dead rattlesnakes to someone to make ME a belt and hatband, so cement or foam is out.

This is my brothers place and he will make any decisions, I just want to provide options. I'll update the thread when there is something to report. I can see him calling a herpterminator..

Link Posted: 5/9/2018 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You don't really want a bunch of burning snakes taking off through the grass though.

Or maybe you do.  
View Quote
This, though I'm not sure how well snakes would burn?

I was part of setting a rats nest on fire once.  The nest was under a chicken coop.   We predicted lots of attempted escapees and had multiple unplugged shotguns ready.  It was entertaining for about 2 minutes.  High stakes too, a flaming rat could set damn near anything on fire depending on where it sought shelter.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 12:12:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Hire an exterminator. Rattlers are no joke. You may also want to nuke this thread as AFAIK it is illegal in most of CA (all of CA?) to kill rattlers, stupid as that is. It seems this is not the case, just be careful. I've seen some monster rattlers here in CA, including one long fucker that could jump 6+ft easily.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 12:12:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Friend of mine got rid of gophers one by pumping 5 gallons of propane into the hole then igniting it.  Sure messed up his yard.  He didn't do things halfway.
View Quote
Holy shit.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Birdshot?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Yup. We were out for dove.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Tag for hilarity.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Another idea I support is a bunch of King Snakes.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Use diesel not gasoline. Diesel is safer will burn just as hot and longer. You just need to get it lite. Anyone who is advocating gasoline is a fool and has never burned anything out of a small space or tunnel.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 11:02:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I can see him calling a herpterminator.
View Quote
If he does that-you punch him in the ear as hard as you can.

DO NOT let us down OP!!!
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 11:05:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

When my Grandpa was a game Biologist for the State of Oregon, he used dynamite to remove rattle snake dens.
View Quote
That would do it. Dad used white grain like stuff with a clear liquid that was mixed with it. It was set off with a blasting cap. It would fracture granite.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Any updates on this @JoseCuervo ?
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Gather them up

Find the most liberal neighborhood or business around

Release

Observe

Laugh as the liberals pet the pretty snakes
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Any updates on this @JoseCuervo ?
View Quote
Not really. Here is how the texts went..

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Lots of posts for gas, maybe kick it up a bit.

Bleach and ammonia bomb.
View Quote
Welding torch gas in proper ratio?   Then launch flaming arrows at it from a distance?
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#29]
If money wasn't a terribly great object I think I'd use one of those propane powered gopher eradicators.     If at first you don't succeed, blow up the holes until they collapse.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 1:36:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Holy shit.
View Quote
Propane into squirrel holes is a thing.

Even in California.    They made the papers around the late 90s with news of the orchards hiring a guy that would go around spraying gas into squirrel tunnels and igniting it.

I was trying tk get hired on with the guy after I read the article.   But there were so many calls the guy's shields went to red alert.

Topic comes up occassionally ever 5--6 years.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Bangalore torpedo.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 2:42:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Just build a nice charcoal fire on the opening with a small bag of Kingsford.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Just youtube search "rattlesnake den"

Gasoline and a match, or a shovel to cut heads off as they slither out.

Snakes make my skin crawl

Link Posted: 5/12/2018 3:19:34 PM EDT
[#34]
"I think you're over reacting"

And that's when I would drop the subject and walk away.  You tried.  Not your problem.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Gasoline.
Have your shotgun or shotshells in your handgun ready.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#36]
If you don't know the size of the air space in the den, don't use gasoline if you're going to light it.

One cup of gasoline evaporated into a cubic foot of air is equal to about four sticks of dynamite.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#37]
I definitely like the CO/CO2 and tarp ideas.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 1:16:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
One cup of gasoline evaporated into a cubic foot of air is equal to about four sticks of dynamite.
View Quote
WRONG!  I wish ppl would stop the fear mongering with explosions.

Exploding gasoline is a deflagration.  An extremely fast burning event.  A deflagration is subsonic combustion propagating through heat transfer.

Deflagration is different from detonation, which propagates supersonically through shock waves.  Dynamite must have a shockwave to propagate through it initiating detonation.

The effects of a burning explosive such as black powder, or confined gas fumes are not equivalent to a detonation, even if appearing to be the same size to the senses.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 1:26:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Deploy your Mongoose.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 1:42:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Your best bet is to contact local game wardens and let them handle it.  You start pouring gasoline into a hole there is no telling what will happen.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Serious question, why not just buy a dozen king snakes?

No explosions or CA environmental problems, native species, etc
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#42]
To the folks advocating gasoline then lighting it off...
several years ago a huge cockroach ran across the garage floor, ducked into the drain. I lifted the grate & was greeted by a swarm of cockroaches. So I did the first thing at hand: a quart of lacquer thinner down the drain, followed by a match. WHOOMP! Blew the other floor drain cover in the air a bit.
Be careful doing stuff like that. Lacquer thinner is a higher volatility than gasoline, but less octane (thank goodness)!
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 2:00:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 2:14:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Buy a half dozen mongooses. Mongeese?
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#45]
I'd probably just go to my local pool supply store and buy several jugs of liquid chlorine and pour them into the den.

NOTHING survives a heavy dose of chlorine.   NOTHING.

It's also a very quiet method.

But you will probably want to take extra precautions so you don't gas YOURSELF in the process.  Know anybody who you can borrow an air tank and respirator from for a little while?  Diver?  Fireman?

You could run with this concept and go fully satanic and dump battery acid in there, instead.   Get several boxes of battery acid from your local auto parts store and get busy.

Eventually the acid will all be neutralized.   Eventually.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think it's like moose. The singular is the same as the plural.

1 mongoose.

I bought 5 mongoose.

Looks right to me.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

1 mongoose.

I bought 5 mongoose.

Looks right to me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1 mongoose.

I bought 5 mongoose.

Looks right to me.
I was trying to be a little funny.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#48]
It's coming right for us!

Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#49]
A bunch of crushed dry ice and something to stuff on the hole.   Won't take long to suffocate them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
WRONG!  I wish ppl would stop the fear mongering with explosions.

Exploding gasoline is a deflagration.  An extremely fast burning event.  A deflagration is subsonic combustion propagating through heat transfer.

Deflagration is different from detonation, which propagates supersonically through shock waves.  Dynamite must have a shockwave to propagate through it initiating detonation.

The effects of a burning explosive such as black powder, or confined gas fumes are not equivalent to a detonation, even if appearing to be the same size to the senses.
View Quote
Gosh golly gee, professor!
Crawl in there with the snakes afterward and ask them if they could tell the difference.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top