BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 115
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Man the weather channel sure is making sure the hysteria  is strong with this storm.
View Quote
When do they not lol

People are stirred up in a frenzy for sure, people are running around buying everything they can get their hands out
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:12:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
When do they not lol

People are stirred up in a frenzy for sure, people are running around buying everything they can get their hands out
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Man the weather channel sure is making sure the hysteria  is strong with this storm.
When do they not lol

Like gas?
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Leave early. Watch the track/timing on Friday.  I think you should beat feet on Saturday of you want to be safe and not trying to outrun a storm moving north through FL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What do you locals recommend for someone vacationing in the Venice Florida area?

Was planning on driving back to MD on Tuesday, but that will likely change now.
Leave early. Watch the track/timing on Friday.  I think you should beat feet on Saturday of you want to be safe and not trying to outrun a storm moving north through FL.
I know people that spent 24 hours drive time  trying to escape our last hurricane....they were staying in GA. They essentially got stuck in standstill traffic on I-95 for long periods of time. It also took them 22 hours to get home.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:14:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Like gas?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When do they not lol

Like gas?
Not just gas but everything at the stores, the shelves are going bare. I went to Publix and people were pushing each other in the aisles
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I know people that spent 24 hours drive time  trying to escape our last hurricane....they were staying in GA. They essentially got stuck in standstill traffic on I-95 for long periods of time. It also took them 22 hours to get home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What do you locals recommend for someone vacationing in the Venice Florida area?

Was planning on driving back to MD on Tuesday, but that will likely change now.
My ex and her mom were one of those people. Got stuck in standstill traffic on the way to Alabama. Took them the whole day and night to get there and then on the way back was standstill traffic....took about 20 hours to get back

Turns out they were driving in the direction of the hurricane too since they predicted the path wrong
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:17:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I understand that cases of water bottles are nice, but doesn't anyone else have 5gal jugs for water they can simply fill now?  I have six of them and will fill them sometime in the next day or two.

I guess everyone used to have the jugs, but the cases of water are so easy.
View Quote
My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:17:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Cant say i have seen em that low around me.. Ill keep an eye out in the future.  But having survived Irma for days with no AC, i am confident again.  And i will prep my fridge before the weekend (everything i can fill with water to create ice and/or store as cold fluid to keep things cold).

I admit, i picked up two cases, but only because i know they can be used anytime (and we like going outside.. camping, hiking, kayak, etc).  I have larger water containers (WaterBOB, wooo!), but you can never beat clean, sealed bottles if shit really gets bad (like, i lost my roof and my BOB is destroyed kinda bad).
View Quote
I've never seen a portable unit that low either.  We have 5000 ($100) & 8000 ($150) BTU window units.  Easy to install and keeps our MBR comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#8]
grrrrrrr.......

more shifting - possible part of the panhandle, but more likely back up the center of florida at this time

again, this is a shifting forecast, and needs a day or two to firm up path

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:19:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
grrrrrrr.......

more shifting - possible part of the panhandle, but more likely back up the center of florida at this time

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2917/dorian_190829_1400_storm_05_jpg-1071463.JPG
View Quote
I think its going to keep shifting north and graze the coastline as usual. Seems they always have it projected at the middle of Florida and always turns sharp north later.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:19:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't get it either.

I'd rather have several large 4-gallon jugs, or several 6-packs of gallon jugs, than a shitload of 12-oz bottles.  Plus it's generally cheaper to get a bunch of gallon jugs than to get the same amount of water in individual bottles.   We do keep a couple of flats of 12oz bottles to freeze in advance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've never understood this "buying bottled water" phenomena.

Do people not wash out and save some 1gal containers, which previously held OJ, during the year?

I bet I've got about a dozen 1/2 gal ones too.

Do people also not realize that gallon freezer bags also can be filled with water?

I bet I can top off all of them in less than 1/2 an hour for a penny or two.

Any of the above can also be frozen (only fill to 3/4 to allow for expansion) and used as block ice.
I don't get it either.

I'd rather have several large 4-gallon jugs, or several 6-packs of gallon jugs, than a shitload of 12-oz bottles.  Plus it's generally cheaper to get a bunch of gallon jugs than to get the same amount of water in individual bottles.   We do keep a couple of flats of 12oz bottles to freeze in advance.
Along with having stored water, Lifestraws and Sawyer water filters for extended emergencies are not expensive.

Here's hoping this beast decides to blow back out to sea, and if you are caught in it's path, prayers for safety.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Anyone care to guess how many miles this thing is going to travel from 8/31 to 9/1? Looks like a massive jump.

https://i.imgur.com/O2pZYgQ.png
View Quote
Best I can figure is 270-280ish miles.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Last two storms, we bugged out to my Mom's place ~ 330 miles away.  We stayed off the interstate and drove back roads in South GA & AL.  No traffic and now problems other than the banjo music in some areas.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:21:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Lines at all the gas stations in Gainesville. I sure hope this storm makes a hard right turn.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:23:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

A lot of people instantly hate me for simply who I am.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:24:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:27:04 PM EDT
[#16]
we don't have a/c in our house, but we do have a little window unit in the bedroom, for those super humid nights. home depot and walmart both have those little room sized a/c's for 120 bucks. they're like 5000 btu's, or something close to that. we don't have a/c, so we wouldn't "miss it" when the power goes out. whole house fan and attic fan works great all year, and the generator is ready to go. not super excited about the cat-4/5 winds predicted here at the coast though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
grrrrrrr.......

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2917/dorian_190829_1400_storm_05_jpg-1071463.JPG
View Quote
Looks like that high pressure is getting weaker. Good thing. Maybe it'll continue to swing north. We can only hope.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#18]
We are ready to ride this thing out on the East CFL coast. Got water and gas yesterday morning. We have two generators and plenty of fuel. I have a feeling we are going to be without power for a while.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't hate on you.

I know a billionaire (for real) and don't want his life.

(humble brag) He paid off the last $20,000 of my house. (also for real)

Wife and I watched his real estate for 30 years.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:31:28 PM EDT
[#20]
My prediction

Sharp turn north and will head for SC coast as usual
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:31:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Milk, eggs and bread usually disappear from grocery shelves first.
It's like everyone must crave French toast in a disaster.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
grrrrrrr.......

View Quote
Yea, this thing won't stabilize until Sat AM.  Even then, it'll still be a guess.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:35:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My prediction

https://i.imgur.com/qkXbg8m.png

Sharp turn north and will head for SC coast as usual
View Quote
The slower it goes, the more likely it turns north.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Tallahassee, Fla. – Governor Ron DeSantis issued an Executive Order, declaring a state of emergency for counties in the path of Hurricane Dorian. The Governor is urging all Floridians on the East Coast to prepare for impacts, as the latest forecasts from the National Hurricane Center project Hurricane Dorian will make landfall on Florida’s East Coast as a major hurricane.

By declaring a state of emergency, Governor DeSantis is ensuring that state and local governments have ample time, resources and flexibility to prepare. The State Emergency Operations Center will activate to a Level 2 on Thursday morning, enhancing the coordination between federal, state and local emergency management agencies.

“Today, I am declaring a state of emergency to ensure Florida is fully prepared for Hurricane Dorian,” said Governor DeSantis. “It’s important for Floridians on the East Coast to monitor this storm closely. Every Florida resident should have seven days of supplies, including food, water and medicine, and should have a plan in case of disaster. I will continue to monitor Hurricane Dorian closely with emergency management officials. The state stands ready to support all counties along the coast as they prepare.”

“Because of the uncertainty in the track of this storm, every resident along the East Coast needs to be ready,” said Florida Division of Emergency Management Director Jared Moskowitz. “As updates come out, it’s important that Floridians continue to pay attention to media and local officials as the track of this storm has been changing and can continue to change rapidly. By having an Executive Order in place and by activating the State Emergency Operations Center to a Level 2, we are fully prepared to support any community that might be impacted.”
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#25]
This is going to be bad, i have a bad feeling about this one,  you guys take a one week vacation to the west before all hotels are booked.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:41:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I understand that cases of water bottles are nice, but doesn't anyone else have 5gal jugs for water they can simply fill now?  I have six of them and will fill them sometime in the next day or two.

I guess everyone used to have the jugs, but the cases of water are so easy.
View Quote
These are better, stackable, and have a spigot.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Not just gas but everything at the stores, the shelves are going bare. I went to Publix and people were pushing each other in the aisles
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When do they not lol

Like gas?
Went to Publix at lunch. It is in the middle of the hood here in Rivera beach, all the carts were gone, even the little green baskets were out. You know it's bad when white peeps are shopping in Rivera..
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51eAFKbEKoL.jpg
View Quote
That's what I have - blue jugs with spigots.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:49:43 PM EDT
[#29]
I have elderly family in Winter Haven in a mobile home. Very concerned.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#30]
You don't need expensive water jugs to hold water for a few days or weeks.  Buy some new garbage cans and fill them up.  Good for flushing toilets and washing hands and more.

Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#31]
I suppose late tomorrow might see mandatory evacuation orders. Sure looks like beach side Melbourne - Vero Beach - Ft Pierce

Banks are the first to close up and flee followed by supermarkets. I've seen independently owned convenience stores stay open until things really started getting wild.

Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This is going to be bad, i have a bad feeling about this one,  you guys take a one week vacation to the west before all hotels are booked.
View Quote
My parents live in St Pete, I'm probably going to decide tomorrow after the 11pm update. If we decide to leave we'll be on the road before 5am Saturday.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Having a generator and gas isn’t a hard, nor expensive thing.  It’s simply being prepared.

As for a humble brag, sure.  I guess it is.  A lot of people instantly hate me for simply who I am. It’s fine, I’m used to it. But those who know me and are around me know I go out of my way to help who I can.  I’ve hauled my excavator to arfcommers houses to clean up after a storm, or help cut firewood.  I’ve given money to help arfcommers and their family’s.  Etc.

But I’ll shut up and watch now. As the storm is going to be 400+ miles away from me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I seriously can't understand how people who live in Florida, or really anywhere there can be a natural disaster, aren't prepared.

My house in Florida has a 10,000w  Honda generator, a 2000w Honda generator and 1500w Honda generator.  We always have multiple cases of water on hand, a 25 gallon tank of gas (for the boats anyways) on hand, plus gas cans.  It all gets cycled through the boats.   Let alone 3 tanks of propane for the grill, charcoal of the Big green egg, etc.

Like this isn't a surprise people.
I agree with the being prepared part, but did you just humblebrag about having two homes, $7K in generators, and one or more boats?

Why doesn't everyone in FL have this?  It's a mystery...
Having a generator and gas isn’t a hard, nor expensive thing.  It’s simply being prepared.

As for a humble brag, sure.  I guess it is.  A lot of people instantly hate me for simply who I am. It’s fine, I’m used to it. But those who know me and are around me know I go out of my way to help who I can.  I’ve hauled my excavator to arfcommers houses to clean up after a storm, or help cut firewood.  I’ve given money to help arfcommers and their family’s.  Etc.

But I’ll shut up and watch now. As the storm is going to be 400+ miles away from me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:55:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This is near Jupiter
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everyone is running around  with their head cut off in hysteria here. Gas stations and stores are swamped.

Lots of new transplants here who never experienced hurricanes and have been scared by the media.
Where in FL?
This is near Jupiter
No, it's not coming here, I swear hurricans use Jupiter Inlet like a fucking aiming point.

Source..live on the Inlet??
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:55:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Best I can figure is 270-280ish miles.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/129054/Dorian_JPG-1071467.JPG
View Quote
Thanks. I can't tell if that's fast for a hurricane (approx. 12 mph) over that stretch, or just in relation to how slow its scheduled to move before and after.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:57:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You don't need expensive water jugs to hold water for a few days or weeks.  Buy some new garbage cans and fill them up.

https://cdnimg.webstaurantstore.com/images/products/extra_large/372195/1362462.jpg
View Quote
that might work for non drinking water. you don't know what recycled plastic and plasticizers are used in them.

if you do use trashcans, get some food safe, non recycled plastic bags and line them, if possible.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
It certainly looks like it will be terrible at this point. There is also a very real possibility that it will hook to the right and miss the entire coast altogether. If that happened you would still have massive flooding and beach erosion though. However I would not bet money on this missing Florida.

The HMON model that the was initialized at 12z is downright scary. A pressure of 919 with Miami in the bulls-eye. Just for reference Andrew was a tad weaker at 922mb at landfall.

Link Posted: 8/29/2019 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm in Seminole.  Was this the Publix on 113th?  Try the Publix hidden away on Oakhurst, near Seminole High/Middle Schools.
View Quote
Dang, we’re neighbors!

I was at that 113 Publix last night, and the water was gone.  I was there getting a 3L of wine; I have enough water already.  And I used to live down the street from that Oakhurst Publix, been to that Angry Pepper a few times.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 3:04:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51eAFKbEKoL.jpg
View Quote
And they crack at the spigot thread area and the corners crack and leak over time. Even stored in doors .

Ive gone through 4 of them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I suppose late tomorrow might see mandatory evacuation orders. Sure looks like beach side Melbourne - Vero Beach - Ft Pierce

Banks are the first to close up and flee followed by supermarkets. I've seen independently owned convenience stores stay open until things really started getting wild.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT05/refresh/AL052019_wind_probs_34_F120+png/150322.png
View Quote
If the Wafflehouse closes in your AO it's TEOTWAWKI
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 3:06:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Nice,

I got this today

https://imgur.com/gallery/cZF8U2S

I have a 1000rd case of 5.45 inbound as well.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#42]
I am lucky.

Right now the predictions have the hurricane coming right over my house.

That is almost a guarantee this far out that the hurricane will not be close.

I have lived in Florida since 1947.  I have heard many predictions and have seen many hurricanes.  No prediction this  far out has ever been the actual path of the storm.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It certainly looks like it will be terrible at this point. There is also a very real possibility that it will hook to the right and miss the entire coast altogether. If that happened you would still have massive flooding and beach erosion though. However I would not bet money on this missing Florida.

The HMON model that the was initialized at 12z is downright scary. A pressure of 919 with Miami in the bulls-eye. Just for reference Andrew was a tad weaker at 922mb at landfall.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/hmon/2019082912/hmon_mslp_wind_05L_33.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/hmon/2019082912/hmon_mslp_wind_05L_33.png
No that's scary
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 3:18:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Just got the word! We are heading south.  Knoxville for tonight. I will post the final destination. Somewhere in FPL territory.
Be safe
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 3:21:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I seriously can't understand how people who live in Florida, or really anywhere there can be a natural disaster, aren't prepared.

My house in Florida has a 10,000w  Honda generator, a 2000w Honda generator and 1500w Honda generator.  We always have multiple cases of water on hand, a 25 gallon tank of gas (for the boats anyways) on hand, plus gas cans.  It all gets cycled through the boats.   Let alone 3 tanks of propane for the grill, charcoal of the Big green egg, etc.

Like this isn't a surprise people.
View Quote
People are dumb.  And what's worse, up here in the Pensacola area, we haven't had a storm hit in 14 years.  So,people are already freaking out.

When I met my wife she couldn't believe all the stuff I have stockpiled for disasters.  I got her into as well and she loves going to Walmart before a storm just to watch people freak out when they can't find water.

I always buy a case of water on my weekly Walmart trips. I've got water for weeks. Food too.  Large coolers.  Gas, tools, plus paper products: plates, paper towels, trash bags, eating utensils, etc.   Propane tanks. Camp stoves with fuel, charcoal,   My fear is I'll lose it all from a tornado that's a product of a hurricane  or someone will loot it when I'm at work. . Luckily most of it is locked down
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 3:22:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I am lucky.

I have lived in Florida since 1947.  I have heard many predictions and have seen many hurricanes.  No prediction this  far out has ever been the actual path of the storm.
View Quote
This is true. Been in Florida for 53 years.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 3:24:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Ok, at the risk of sounding like a selfish douche, here's a question for those of you that live in Florida.

Realistically, how bad do/can things get in Orlando during a hurricane? I see that it's statistically one of the safest cities in Florida with regards to hurricanes.

We're supposed to fly into Orlando on Saturday for 10 days. Saturday should be ahead of the storm,  and if we're just going to see a lot of rain and some wind for a couple days, I hate to cancel our vacation.

Honest, non-GD thoughts on this?
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 3:27:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am lucky.

Yup, FL Man native..52yrs..this thing will come ashore in NC
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 3:29:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am lucky.

Yup, FL Man native..52yrs..this thing will come ashore in NC
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 3:31:48 PM EDT
[#50]
dupe
Page / 115
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top