Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/28/2018 8:04:28 AM EDT
Yes,  make fun of me,  call me stupid, I was stupid.  That's fine.  I am going to tell my story.

I have always wanted an Ed Brown.  Planned on purchasing one from the website for about $3000.  I have been saving and had about $1700.  I had seen used ones go for around $2000 on some sites, but never exactly what I wanted.  Stainless steel, 9mm, bobtail.

Saw one on Armslist for 1700,  it was exactly how I wanted mine.  I have done maybe 30 Armslist deals and never had a problem.   I message him about 1000 and a partial trade,  he's not interested because he's saving up for his own project gun.  I ask for additional pictures,  he sends them,  I ask for closer pictures of a certain area,  he sends them.  I ask if he would be willing to ship to my FFL (he is from Texas).  He said he would and asked how that would work since he's never done that.  I suggest PayPal since it protects both of us, he said he doesn't like PayPal since they are antigun and suggests USPS money order.  I say I'm not comfortable with that.  He says he understands, but if I want to go ahead he'd send me a picture of his ID so I know who I'm dealing with.  I finally accept.

I look up the guy on facebook just to see if he's real.  He is,  has a private profile with a moderate amount of pictures and comments.  Location, picture all matched his Texas ID.

So the $1700 in money orders gets delivered to him on Sat.  I don't hear anything until I ask if he got them Sat night.  He said he did and cashed them and would ship the gun and give me the tracking numbers Mon.  Monday comes and goes with no contact, even after sending him inquiries.  Nothing from him at all today as well.

So I plan on contacting his local PD with the story and his DL # even though it is probably fake,  and submitting a fraud report through the USPS.

Just mainly want to warn people,  take my lickings,  I don't expect to ever see my $1700 again,  or probably ever get an Ed Brown.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:05:30 AM EDT
[#1]
You really sent a MO to a stranger on armslist?

Go full killdozer on him right now.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:06:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't be surprised if it ships this week, but good luck either way.  He owes you a response.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:07:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't worry OP, the rest of us aren't that stupid.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:07:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Give it until Friday.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:08:16 AM EDT
[#5]
You mean its been 2 whole business days? Relax a bit
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:09:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
No shit...

OP is a moron.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:09:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Where in tx.

Out him now.

Post his pic.

Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:09:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You really sent a MO to a stranger on armslist?

Go full killdozer on him right now.
View Quote
I kept trying to tell a coworker not to do that. He was adamant about sending some guy $110 or $1200 For a rifle.
I kept telling him to do Armslist face to face only.
Yep, he got taken.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:10:56 AM EDT
[#9]
in for results....
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:11:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Where in tx.

Out him now.

Post his pic.

View Quote
Belton TX,  I won't post his pic because it probably isn't him,  he likely lost or had his ID stolen.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:11:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Dude I will help you. Send me  a money order for $500 and I will drive over to his house and get for you and mail it to you. PM for details.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:11:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
This, wholly cow. It's not the best situation to be in, and $1,700 is a lot of money, but OP isn't in scorched earth territory yet. He may be trying to research how to legally ship a handgun even or found out he's supposed to overnight it for $100, and is now trying to find a transfer dealer to ship through.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:11:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Where in tx.

Out him now.

Post his pic.

View Quote
This!
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:12:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Dude I will help you. Send me  a money order for $500 and I will drive over to his house and get for you and mail it to you. PM for details.
View Quote
Sounds like a good deal.  I'd do it OP.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:13:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:13:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Armslist?

fuck that
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:15:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Well I don't know if you got scammed or not but we have all fucked up and cost ourselves money.

Like I tell my men at work if we live through it everything else can be fixed.

I fucked up and cost myself 6500 dollars the other day and while I will not tell you, I told everybody at work for two reasons.  first so they wont make the same mistake and second so they know we are all human and make mistakes.  And I don't make many in my work.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:16:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Kind of early to panic
View Quote
Are you sure you're on the right site?

On Arfcom it's NEVER too early to panic!
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:16:13 AM EDT
[#19]
How do you guys work deals on EE if not with a money order???
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#20]
He was supposed to have shipped on Monday and it is now early Wednesday morning. While the lack of communication is not a good sign, it may still work out. You did your due diligence in vetting the seller. It is hard to believe he set up all that credibility for one $1,700 scam.

I hope it all works out for you.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:17:14 AM EDT
[#21]
How do you know if you got scammed OP? Its been 2 days.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:17:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:17:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, no way I'd ever do that.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:18:27 AM EDT
[#24]
When you buy from online sellers, remember they are NOT businesses. And sometimes life gets in the way. Dont worry OP. I think you are over reacting.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:18:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:20:17 AM EDT
[#26]
If he's against PayPal for being Antigun, he just may be looking for a shipping alternative since fed ex made some dumb comments yesterday.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:20:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Kind of early to panic
View Quote
This ^^^
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:20:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Seems like you are freaking out and it's only been a few days .... Relax
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:21:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Paypal isn't the only peer-to-peer payment system out there. There are a number of others, and each afford some recourse in addressing a scammer taking payment and not sending your merchandise. Lots more recourse than sending a demand instrument through the mail anyway.

OP, Belton, Texas isn't the center of the universe. It's a small berg along the interstate. I'm hoping your guy is just trying to find time to drive to Waco or Killeen to find a FFL to ship it for him.

Hope it works out for you...even if you are buying a 9mm 1911.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:22:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If he's against PayPal for being Antigun, he just may be looking for a shipping alternative since fed ex made some dumb comments yesterday.
View Quote
And if he's never shipped a handgun before like OP says, he was probably surprised when USPS told him he's not allowed to ship it through them and then UPS told him it has to go Overnight which costs an arm & a fucking leg
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:23:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Yeah terrible choice OP

Armslist should be face to face only
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:24:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Some people are just bad at communicating.  I sell a lot on a local PA gun forum and what I learned over the years is that it can take time to get a response from some people.

As others have already pointed out, it's still pretty early, so give the seller the benefit of the doubt.  Now, if you don't hear from him or see the pistol next week, than double your efforts.

Keep us updated.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:26:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Was the address on his ID the address you sent the MO to?  When you looked the guy up online, did his name match the address you had?

Also, I think the last time I used a USPS money order to pay for anything was in 1989.  Just saying.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:28:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:29:25 AM EDT
[#35]
The longer you wait the harder it is to find him.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:29:53 AM EDT
[#36]
My vote is that OP is panicking early. Seller just isn't an awesome communicator
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:32:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Was the address on his ID the address you sent the MO to?  When you looked the guy up online, did his name match the address you had?

Also, I think the last time I used a USPS money order to pay for anything was in 1989.  Just saying.
View Quote
Yep,  name on ID was where I sent MO,  got the certified mail signature back yesterday from where he signed for it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:35:49 AM EDT
[#38]
PayPal isn't going to help shit if it's a gun purchase. If anything, they'll freeze your account.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:36:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Seems like you are freaking out and it's only been a few days .... Relax
View Quote
This....

Maybe practice a bit with suppressors in ATF jail....you'll learn to relax...
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:38:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Shipping takes effort.  All that wrapping and labeling and driving to the UPS hub or PO ...

Some sellers just need a little extra time because it's soooo hard. LOL.

Seriously, though, don't push the panic button yet.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:38:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yep,  name on ID was where I sent MO,  got the certified mail signature back yesterday from where he signed for it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So why are you panicking, exactly?  Yes, you are in quite a vulnerable position on this transaction--but how did you not know that before you sent him the money?

I'm betting you actually get your pistol.  But hey, I'm an optimist.  Who doesn't send strangers large sums of money for suspiciously underpriced items.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:39:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Belton TX
View Quote
2hr drive from me...
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:40:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:40:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Where in tx.

Out him now.

Post his pic.

View Quote
This, there are a lot of us here.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:40:41 AM EDT
[#45]
If he doesn’t ship by EOW go knock on his door or buy someone lunch to do it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:41:39 AM EDT
[#46]
The guy probably has a job, it's hard for him to break away during the week and is trying to figure out how to ship the fucking thing.  Not writing back because he hasn't the time or hasn't figured out exactly what he's got to do to ship it yet.

Chillax.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:42:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's cold
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:42:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:44:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Oh, wait--Is this McLoving in Houston?  That guy has fucked me a buncha times.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:47:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do the signatures roughly match?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top