Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 2:37:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

it's why I think IDPA is becoming dumber and dumber as the years roll on.

The ideal concealed carry gun isn't a 1911 anymore, because the AWB is dead.

Even a stock Glock 19 with the shit that comes in the box isn't legal if you load it to capacity - and we have guns like the Sig Macro, Hellcat Pro, etc - all smaller and lighter in the same caliber, and designed from the ground up to be concealed carry guns.

If you load them to capacity - you can't shoot half the divisions. Never mind that The last time I looked, a production done can hold 15 rounds, but a carry optics gun was limited to 10.

IDPA needs to realize people are carrying "gamer guns" and get with the times - a slide mounted reciprocating optic that comes mounted on the gun from the factory is an indicator they're intended for "concealed carry" use.

There's a big difference from an open faced race holster and a 2011 using 150mm mags; and the RDO Equipped Sig 365XL Joe bought at Sportsmans Warehouse two weeks before the shoot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My pocket gun carries more than 10 rounds lol.

it's why I think IDPA is becoming dumber and dumber as the years roll on.

The ideal concealed carry gun isn't a 1911 anymore, because the AWB is dead.

Even a stock Glock 19 with the shit that comes in the box isn't legal if you load it to capacity - and we have guns like the Sig Macro, Hellcat Pro, etc - all smaller and lighter in the same caliber, and designed from the ground up to be concealed carry guns.

If you load them to capacity - you can't shoot half the divisions. Never mind that The last time I looked, a production done can hold 15 rounds, but a carry optics gun was limited to 10.

IDPA needs to realize people are carrying "gamer guns" and get with the times - a slide mounted reciprocating optic that comes mounted on the gun from the factory is an indicator they're intended for "concealed carry" use.

There's a big difference from an open faced race holster and a 2011 using 150mm mags; and the RDO Equipped Sig 365XL Joe bought at Sportsmans Warehouse two weeks before the shoot.
Exactly....

Two decades ago, a race gun from then was a slicked up SAO. Now, it considered obsolete junk as a carry pistol. Times change and that means so does the tech. A modern defensive mid-grade consumer carry gun is a high capacity subcompact with a RDO. They're factory built and advertised as carry guns!

If IDPA wants to keep it to the 90s, then just copy our Retro-Wave Match and limit the guns to a certain era.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Miami

we can always count on you to be stuck in the 1990's

View Quote
But that's why I think IDPA is stupid with this rule.... They're stuck in the 90s because by today's metrics, the 3566 is a outdated carry gun, let alone being a race gun.

This is a modern carry gun @Colt653

But IDPA makes it sound like it is a race gun.

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
But that's why I think IDPA is stupid with this rule.... They're stuck in the 90s because by today's metrics, the 3566 is a outdated carry gun, let alone being a race gun.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/HELLCAT-PRO-FEATURED.jpg

View Quote

Believe it or not, I will agree with a lot of this.

I think a better metric would be some thing like number of units sold.  

But, I don't make the rules.  If this kills IDPA then there will be room for another organization.

I'm willing to bet the IDPA is larger in 5 years than it is now though.

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/HELLCAT-PRO-FEATURED.jpg

View Quote

yep

i picture in my mind….Bill Wilson climbing into his 1981 F-150 bench seats and driving to “the mall” to pick up this month’s edition of GUN & AMMO

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm curious, would IDPA consider my factory built S&W Model 745 to be a race gun?

https://i.imgur.com/jtF8UPQ.jpg

It is simply a 2nd Gen S&W .45, sold as a SAO IPSC 10th anniversary commemorative. The slide mounted safety is simply a firing pin block. I've carried it numerous times as a CCW piece in my Galco shoulder rig.
View Quote

Does it fit in the the box?  How is it different than an Ed Brown 1911, other than it works?
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Seems the easiest way to differentiate is whether the pistol has an optic or irons, and do an X inches sized box that the gun with the longest mag you'll use that day inserted has to fit in.

Call them Big and Small class and have Big Irons, Big Optics, Small Irons, and Small Optics.

If it fits the box, it's good to go in Small; if not, it's Big. If it has irons (whether metal, plastic, painted, fiber, etc) it's in Irons. If it has an optic (slide mounted, frame mounted, etc) it's in Optics.

And stop with the mag retention tomfoolery. And limiting the number of rounds. And the weight.

They really have made something that's supposed to be fun not very fun.

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 3:28:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I no longer shoot idpa because it turned into gaming. Glad to see I might be able to run my EDC gear again.
View Quote

Same.  Guys showing up with mag well extensions, soft loaded reloads to minimize recoil.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 3:35:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Matches are not a training event, no matter what org.

Matches validate your training.

You do not get enough reps at any match to gain any training value whatsoever.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

True.  If you ONLY compete in matches, then you aren't getting much training at all.

However, the competition serves to motivate and put a timeline to pre-competition practice, which goes along with your "matches validate your training" which is why those "realism based' matches are more useful for real-world exercises than race-gun matches.

Also, matches impart something that our casual solo training sessions cannot -- the "this is the time - no do-overs!" pressure.  In our practice sessions, if we don't get something right -- it is no big deal, just do it again, and again, and again, as many do-overs as we feel like doing.  In competitions, you screw up once, and you're probably out of the running for the top spots.  No do-overs until the next match.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 4:04:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

True.  If you ONLY compete in matches, then you aren't getting much training at all.

However, the competition serves to motivate and put a timeline to pre-competition practice, which goes along with your "matches validate your training" which is why those "realism based' matches are more useful for real-world exercises than race-gun matches.

Also, matches impart something that our casual solo training sessions cannot -- the "this is the time - no do-overs!" pressure.  In our practice sessions, if we don't get something right -- it is no big deal, just do it again, and again, and again, as many do-overs as we feel like doing.  In competitions, you screw up once, and you're probably out of the running for top spot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, matches impart something that our casual solo training sessions cannot -- the "this is the time - no do-overs!" pressure.  In our practice sessions, if we don't get something right -- it is no big deal, just do it again, and again, and again, as many do-overs as we feel like doing.  In competitions, you screw up once, and you're probably out of the running for top spot.
I know and I agree, I'm an M class CO shooter.

Except, I don't believe in "realism based" matches.

Learn marksmanship and gun handling at a high level, apply those skills to the situation.

There is more skill to be gained from hit factor based scoring over time plus, regardless the externals between all the orgs out there.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 4:19:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Same.  Guys showing up with mag well extensions, soft loaded reloads to minimize recoil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I no longer shoot idpa because it turned into gaming. Glad to see I might be able to run my EDC gear again.

There has been a lot of this sentiment.

It's almost like there were a bunch of people that wanted a fairly level playing field that let them start testing themselves against other people, all while using guns they already had.

Who knew?
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's almost like there were a bunch of people that wanted a fairly level playing field that let them start testing themselves against other people, all while using guns they already had.

Who knew?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who knew?
There's a minimum power factor for a reason.

If it makes power factor appropriate for the division, who cares?
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 4:26:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not sure about that. Action pistol is like 192 rounds and seems to work as training at least as a supplemental.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Narcissists lacking any introspection who should be angry at themselves for not putting in the time training looking to blame the "cheater". It must be the gear of that cheater, not the fact that I've only put 50 rounds through my gun in the past 3 months.

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

True...most factory ammo isn't that much over power factor in 9mm that is...now 45 is a totally different story.

Now how 115 vs 147gr feels is a whole different story...but just a good excuse to start reloading
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 4:43:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Narcissists lacking any introspection who should be angry at themselves for not putting in the time training looking to blame the "cheater". It must be the gear of that cheater, not the fact that I've only put 50 rounds through my gun in the past 3 months.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, that's one way to look at it.

Again, no-one will be dragging you from your house to the range.

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 4:51:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay then you tell me, is it a problem if a competitor has ammo that meets minimum power factor? If someone complains said ammo has a tiny bit less recoil than them what does that make them? I bet if you subtracted 30 seconds off any of those peoples match times they wouldn't break into the top half of shooters. I also would make the bet that if you swapped said ammo with the complainer the better shooters overall time wouldn't be more than a few seconds slower.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 4:53:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Agreed. You lose the mass appeal once the gaming gets out of hand. Next comes divisions based on scores, then sandbagging, lack of personnel, merging of divisions, then circling the drain. Far from the first sport to have it happen in.
View Quote

“Divisions based on scores” are called “Classes”. Why would you not want to be competing against others using similar equipment with roughly the same skill level?

Otherwise a new shooter or a weekend warrior that comes out to shoot for fun is going to get crushed by a GM who lives and breathes this stuff. That sucks for everyone. Classes provide competitive equity.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Does it fit in the the box?  How is it different than an Ed Brown 1911, other than it works?
View Quote

The answer to that question is now based upon the judgement of the most retarded Match Director in the sport.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mag wells are only allowed in certain divisions and there is a power factor floor for competition.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 5:05:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Okay then you tell me, is it a problem if a competitor has ammo that meets minimum power factor? If someone complains said ammo has a tiny bit less recoil than them what does that make them? I bet if you subtracted 30 seconds off any of those peoples match times they wouldn't break into the top half of shooters. I also would make the bet that if you swapped said ammo with the complainer the better shooters overall time wouldn't be more than a few seconds slower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The title of the thread includes "I love to make fun of the IDPA"

Then we have:

Quoted:

guess which days i give a fuck what an “average IDPA shooters” opinion is

Now you call IDPA shooters narcissist. Or maybe that was directed at me personally - I don't know

Either way, why would I tell you anything, and would you listen if I did?  You and other posters have made up your mind and made your attitude toward the IDPA, it's shooters, and it's rules very clear.

I'll let future readers and participants make up their own mind on whether they prefer the new rules or the way IDPA was headed - and who the narcissist's are.

And one more time:

No-one will be dragging any of you from your house to the range.

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I thought everyone loved to make fun of IDPA. Especially IDPA shooters.

Wait… Joyce? Is that you?? Are you still mad over the AIWB thing?
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Then we have:

Now you call IDPA shooters narcissist. Or maybe that was directed at me personally - I don't know

Either way, why would I tell you anything?  I'm done, you and other posters have made up your mind and made your attitude toward the IDPA, it's shooters, and it's rules very clear.

I'll let future readers and participants make up their own mind on whether they prefer the new rules or the way IDPA was headed - and who the narcissist's are.

And one more time:

No-one will be dragging any of you from your house to the range.

View Quote

No, I called people complaining about the power factor of other shooters narcissists. If you're mad at competitors who have legal ammo winning or at least beating you and complain about it that would put you solidly in that group.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 5:18:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No, I called people complaining about the power factor of other shooters narcissists. If you're mad at competitors who have legal ammo winning or at least beating you and complain about it that would put you solidly in that group.
View Quote

“I know the PF floor is 125 and you ran 128 at chrono but that’s cutting it too close. You’re a CHEATER!!”

Many of these arguments kind of remind me of Feinstein looking at pictures of various guns on the internet to decide which ones should go on the banned list.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#26]
OP, you may not remember, but 15 or so years ago bogus "concealment vests" were the rage in IDPA.  The vests covered the firearm from the front, but the mesh in back allowed you to see the firearm completely.  IDPA cracked down on those, somewhat... but generally unrealistic concealment vests were still going strong last time I shot a competition.  Vests will all kinds of gun patches on them which covered the firearm but didn't leave much to the imagination.  I used my actual carry gear including a shirt for concealment... but I was one of a very few.  

Enforcement will probably be arbitrary, but my last experience with IDPA was that different clubs were already very much arbitrary about what rules they actually enforced.  Rules like Power Factor are usually ignored in local matches.  I found Division rules not well enforced either.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
OP, you may not remember, but 15 or so years ago bogus "concealment vests" were the rage in IDPA.  The vests covered the firearm from the front, but the mesh in back allowed you to see the firearm completely.  IDPA cracked down on those, somewhat... but generally unrealistic concealment vests were still going strong last time I shot a competition.  Vests will all kinds of gun patches on them which covered the firearm but didn't leave much to the imagination.  I used my actual carry gear including a shirt for concealment... but I was one of a very few.  

Enforcement will probably be arbitrary, but my last experience with IDPA was that different clubs were already very much arbitrary about what rules they actually enforced.  Rules like Power Factor are usually ignored in local matches.  I found Division rules not well enforced either.
View Quote

The concealment requirement is fine and objectively gauged. “Can you see the gun with arms out at your sides or not?”

There’s not much to it. As a way to differentiate it from USPSA as something that’s practical I’d expect that. Unpopular opinion but I’m actually cool with the ten round mag limits, too. The max stage round count is a paltry 18 rounds so it’s a good way to force a mag change. As that’s a basic skill of handgun shooting it’s a really solid way to incorporate it as a part of the match.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL, "legal ammo"... my experience is dudes with subsonic loads that need special springs to allow the pistol to cycle... then there was the one who put just enough powder in their revolver loads to punch holes in cardboard...

Or shaving seconds off their time by standing where they have full simultaneous visibility to 6 threat targets and can shoot them all without moving their feet one inch.  Why use cover or concealment?  Worked fabulously on a 1-way range!!!

Most of these folks would have done a lot better for themselves by getting out and physically exercising once in a while instead.

It was fine when I was younger and got bored punching holes in paper on a static firing line.  I might even re-join one day to officially earn a Master Classification or two, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 6:00:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

LOL, "legal ammo"... my experience is dudes with subsonic loads that need special springs to allow the pistol to cycle... then there was the one who put just enough powder in their revolver loads to punch holes in cardboard...

Or shaving seconds off their time by standing where they have full simultaneous visibility to 6 threat targets and can shoot them all without moving their feet one inch.  Why use cover or concealment?  Worked fabulously on a 1-way range!!!

Most of these folks would have done a lot better for themselves by getting out and physically exercising once in a while instead.

It was fine when I was younger and got bored punching holes in paper on a static firing line.  I might even re-join one day to officially earn a Master Classification or two, but that's about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

125 Power factor ammo has no problem knocking down steel and cycles just fine through most of my stock guns.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Not sure about that. Action pistol is like 192 rounds and seems to work as training at least as a supplemental.
View Quote

SV650Squid is saying that your real training (ie homework) is what you do outside of the match with your dry fire and live fire sessions.  You come to the match to prove that you did your homework.

When I first started shooting, I took a bunch of training classes and met several dudes who were really into taking training classes. They essentially collected certificates.  When I got to know them better, it turned out that their training time was basically only in the classes so their skill level didn't improve much.

To your point though, I think match days do provide one training value though in that it exposes your weak areas that are undertrained or not trained at all. If you have a stage where you need to draw and fire from under a table and you haven't practiced that, add it to your training regimen.  Stuff like that.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#31]
They are all gun games. Pick one/two/three.  Shoot them, have fun.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ok, I misunderstood.

I thought you were saying a G19 and commercial ammo was the exact same thing as a one-off custom with tuned hand-loads; and anyone who thought differently was a narcissist.

Sorry.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

yep

i picture in my mind….Bill Wilson climbing into his 1981 F-150 bench seats and driving to “the mall” to pick up this month’s edition of GUN & AMMO

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep

And he won't buy a new one because it costs more than $5k, has buckets, leather, a non washable floor, and power everything.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Ok, I misunderstood.

I thought you were saying a G19 and commercial ammo was the exact same thing as a one-off custom with tuned hand-loads; and anyone who thought differently was a narcissist.

Sorry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, I misunderstood.

Sorry.

No biggie, just calling out the complainers. I understand you're defending the sport, which I'm not condemning in whole but there is some silliness that's worth poking fun at.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 6:26:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I thought the whole point of IDPA was to have something to make fun of.

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
They are all gun games. Pick one/two/three.  Shoot them, have fun.
View Quote

If more people had that attitude this thread and Ben Stoeger wouldn't exist.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I thought the whole point of IDPA was to have something to make fun of.

https://i.imgflip.com/1r4hlt.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

If your ammunition isn’t functioning your gun there’s no way you’re meeting PF, so that’s not legal ammunition.

If the venue or stage doesn’t require me to use cover, why should I use cover?
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If your ammunition isn’t functioning your gun there’s no way you’re meeting PF, so that’s not legal ammunition.

If the venue or stage doesn’t require me to use cover, why should I use cover?
View Quote

I did run into a guy in 3-Gun where his ammo wouldn't knock the steel plates off the stands. Given he was kinda elderly, but his buddy actually loaded the ammo for him and put the bic pen recoil spring in his gun. When we went out to paste the targets I loudly said, damn, they did get through the carboard! At least he had a sense of humor about it, but after seeing the guy who loaded ammo's pistol blow up a few matches later I would never trust his reloads.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 6:35:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 6:36:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why was Ben kicked out of USPSA?  Talking shit, or the truth hurts?
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 6:37:41 PM EDT
[#42]
The funniest thing of all this is the Cooper Tunnel. Something Jeff Cooper specifically stated isn't realistic... and what did they do. They incorporated it into IPSC and named it after him.

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 6:37:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Talking shit about the truth.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The funniest thing of all this is the Cooper Tunnel. Something Jeff Cooper specifically stated isn't realistic... and what did they do. They incorporated it into IPSC and named it after him.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/QxGzmxLBbLQ/maxresdefault.jpg

View Quote

That's hilarious.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 6:40:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shots fired! ??
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have to admit I hate how every genre of competitive practical shooting starts out "honest" with folks shooting what they would actually use for you know "practical shooting", but then it always devolves into gamer bullshit.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 6:40:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

A little from column A, a little from column B.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/17/2023 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#50]
I've never had a problem laughing at USPSA.

All the lemmings one after another going through a stage air gunning every single thing they're going to do.

It really is quite hilarious.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top