Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 12:44:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I've abandoned most of that bs..I find myself watching old sitcoms and movies.

Magnum PI
All in the family
Mash
The carol bernett show.
Omega man
Solvent green
Original planet of the apes etc
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 12:45:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I started thinking of them, and all remakes as well, as the celebrated music in Atlas Shrugged.  They’re just rehashing the same thing over and over.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 12:46:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think what happened is most of the visionaries that made the film industry great are gone. Their replacements were taught how to make films in colleges. There's no soul left in the industry.
View Quote
I also assume the industry is run by stock prices, where 50+ years ago it was run my moguls who built it themselves through hard work, or at least they used to work for the guy who did, and shared his vision?
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I also assume the industry is run by stock prices, where 50+ years ago it was run my moguls who built it themselves through hard work, or at least they used to work for the guy who did, and shared his vision?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think what happened is most of the visionaries that made the film industry great are gone. Their replacements were taught how to make films in colleges. There's no soul left in the industry.

Trouble is, despite the commercialization and commodification of everything. When you're making a movie you are still making art and art does not seem to come out well when it's run through the MBA processes.

Hell nothing seems to come out well when you put the "bean counters" charge. Wether you're making bolt action rifles or spacecraft. It's funny to see how often greed can get in the way of making money.

The most jarring examples of contrast I know of on this are the movies, The Creator and Rise of Skywalker. The Creator was made on an $80 million dollar budget. Rise of Skywalker was made on a... Somewhat larger budget.

Abrams diligently followed orders and did everything his masters demanded on that film and in doing so created an utter disaster.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 12:59:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Loki series is excellent, and offers a strong chance to tidy up the multiverse mess once and for all with one or two good soldi follow-up movies that cleanly remove Kang and the ease of multiverse incursions.

And, I'm with the camp that thinks it's time to develop Dr. Doom as the next Big Bad. I think the groundwork is there.
View Quote

This is a damn good point.

Doom would be awesome.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This.  Hollywood doesn't reflect society, it seeks to drive it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not a strictly a marvel thing.
It's a Disney problem.
I have news for you, it's not marvel or Disney... it's the entertainment industry, period.
Woke is fucking everywhere; woke is in everything. You can't escape from it.
This.  Hollywood doesn't reflect society, it seeks to drive it.
By the 1960's, the Left had control of the educational establishment, the news media, and the entertainment industry.
Of these, the entertainment industry was arguably the most important.
Show business allowed people to be propagandized to when they were at their most vulnerable;
at the end of the day, when they were tired, when they just wanted to relax, and they didn't want to think.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 1:08:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Doom would be awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Loki series is excellent, and offers a strong chance to tidy up the multiverse mess once and for all with one or two good soldi follow-up movies that cleanly remove Kang and the ease of multiverse incursions.

And, I'm with the camp that thinks it's time to develop Dr. Doom as the next Big Bad. I think the groundwork is there.

Doom would be awesome.

That's the rumor swirling but a lot depends on Jonathan Majors legal results. They banked everything on Kang to shape up the multiversal Secret Wars film. He will continue to be Kang, but could be downgraded to a footnote villain until they want. Doom crosses so many characters he would be great as well to intro the FF.

I'd be happy if they went to Secret Wars to intro the Beyonder at this point. Go back to the OG groundwork stories that made fans in the first place.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 1:09:02 PM EDT
[#8]
“Puts lots of chicks in it….and make them gay as fuuuck!”
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was a big fan of the MCU in the beginning. While I’m not so interested in the current product they are far from imploding.
They will get back on track shortly once they have a creative director with a focused vision.
Same with Star Wars.
View Quote

But only if they allow the director to not go uber-Woke.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 1:18:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Marvels movie was supposed to be Captain Marvel 2 but Brie Larson opened her mouth too much the first time it hurt sales. This time they combined the stories from the D+ shows as well to milk it out.

Should have put it as a D+ show but they were committed. One of if not the shortest run time of Marvel films. Local theater that gets behind the movies usually has solid showings until Wednesday then it goes down to almost week 3 schedules. They aren't anticipating much.

On a up note some are taking notice hopefully. Trailer for Echo dropped. First D+ original TV-MA rated show and looks pretty darn good. Supposed to herald the new Daredevil show which was recently revamped. Story goes Feige and Co had a chance to see what it was during the writers strike and saw the steaming pile of  garbage they made and said no. Fired almost if not everyone involved and want to get a more Netflix -esqe style to carry fans over. We'll see.

Example of the DD show, they focused on it being more of a court drama. Didn't have him suit up until Ep 4.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 1:19:44 PM EDT
[#12]
The last Thor movie was so utter bad...like I would rather watch I Spit On Your Grave again !
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 1:21:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Iron Man and maybe Iron Man II along with a couple of the Batman movies were about the sum total of my interest in superhero comic movies.  They ran it into the ground for me 10 years ago.
View Quote

Same

Was a huge X Men fan as a kid. I was burnt out after the second.

Iron Man was really good as well.

Zero interest after that
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 1:23:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's the rumor swirling but a lot depends on Jonathan Majors legal results. They banked everything on Kang to shape up the multiversal Secret Wars film. He will continue to be Kang, but could be downgraded to a footnote villain until they want. Doom crosses so many characters he would be great as well to intro the FF.

I'd be happy if they went to Secret Wars to intro the Beyonder at this point. Go back to the OG groundwork stories that made fans in the first place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doom would be awesome.

Kang was just a bad choice for an overarching villain, the multiverse shit is just played out, and would have been more so if hears of movies kept playing it up. The right one or two movies can restore it to a more abstract thing and not an every story thing. Neither time travel nor universe hopping should be so routine.

Link Posted: 11/5/2023 1:24:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Toxic Feminimity

Heterophobs everywhere!

Just because they make a movie with a straight person doesn’t make a gay person question their own existence.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 1:28:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It’s not a strictly a marvel thing.

It’s a Disney problem.

Last I heard, I think their remake of Snow White was put on ice because of stupid remarks the lead had made which unsurprisingly generated a ton of blowback.
View Quote

That tends to happen when your lead actress says that all the core values of Walt Disney over the last nearly 100 years such as family values and true love are antiquated and need to be replaced with strong, power hungry women who don't care about such useless things.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 1:29:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Supposedly there was talk at a Marvel business retreat of switching villains maybe to Doom.

View Quote

At least Dr Doom is a character that people who haven't read every single comic book in existence have heard of.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

At least Dr Doom is a character that people who haven't read every single comic book in existence have heard of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Supposedly there was talk at a Marvel business retreat of switching villains maybe to Doom.

He's not "diverse" enough.

Link Posted: 11/5/2023 1:38:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yeah I think Marvel has obvious problems beyond "being woke." Disney really started churning out tons of product after endgame, both movies and Disney shows. They just weren't that good. I read she hulk has episodes that were initially shown out of focus.

Also people were just burned out on comic movies. I've read several industry people compare it to people getting burned out on all the westerns in the 60s and 70s.

Supposedly they're trying to get Robert Downey Jr back.
View Quote
I would love to see more 60s and 70s Western type movies.  Strong male leads that have flaws that still manage to save the day.  Heck, you could do the same with female leads but apparently having self made flaws and bad histories just isn't a thing anymore when it comes to female leads.

I think of a movie like Quigley Down Under.  The female lead was annoying, hugely flawed, but still likeable by the end of it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#20]
What they should have done is, as a poster said, taken a break of a few years after Endgame. They got the Fantastic Four and related IP back, so, they could have set up the next phase with Doom as the main villain that could lead to Galactus.

But, ya know, woke agenda…..
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It’s not a strictly a marvel thing.

It’s a Disney problem.

Last I heard, I think their remake of Snow White was put on ice because of stupid remarks the lead had made which unsurprisingly generated a ton of blowback.
View Quote

I think it's industry wide but Disney is doing it best/worst ah ... they're the most woke.  

I agree with the video: the focus is on the narrative of the democrat party, "the message", rather than story telling.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What they should have done is, as a poster said, taken a break of a few years after Endgame. They got the Fantastic Four and related IP back, so, they could have set up the next phase with Doom as the main villain that could lead to Galactus.

View Quote

Like a real Galactus, not the stupid space cloud we got with the second FF movie…
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Never read much of the comics put out after the 80s. I watched one each of the Batman movies and Superman movies, and a couple of the Iron Man and Spider Man movies.

Don't really care for obscure super heroes, so haven't watched the rest of them.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I genuinely think it's not only still doable. But the best way to redeem the loose ends from Moon Knight, Shang Chi, the Eternals, and Dr. Strange, while limiting multiverse overload. And, I think Loki season 2 is setting that opportunity up very well. We just need one movie to close that Kang bit up nice and neat and introduce Doom in the process.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I was a big fan of the MCU in the beginning. While I’m not so interested in the current product they are far from imploding.
They will get back on track shortly once they have a creative director with a focused vision.
Same with Star Wars.
View Quote

I don't think so, the trends have been obvious to anyone paying attention and Disney continues to doubledown on its female centric universe. Kinda ironic, they got Lucas and Marvel to go after the young male demographic they lacked and turned it all into girl boss and Mary Sue bullshit.

They hard-core fans have moved on, we don't care anymore. They can never give us what we wanted now. Luke, Han and Leia in a scene together. They've destroyed Anakins arc, you can't get that back.

Marvel has belittled the male superheroes, bait and switched popular male character's shows with the female replacements. Hawkeye, Iron Man, Thor, Black Panther, and even Loki and AntMan. She Hulk is a strong and beloved comic character, her Disney+ show was an abomination, a shity self insert that was more interested in dissing the fan base than telling a fun and engaging story. All the momentum coming off of Phase 3 is gone, the average consumer finds all the extended universes played out and tired. The only Marvel superhero with universal interest is owned by Sony.

Link Posted: 11/5/2023 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I genuinely think it's not only still doable. But the best way to redeem the loose ends from Moon Knight, Shang Chi, the Eternals, and Dr. Strange, while limiting multiverse overload. And, I think Loki season 2 is setting that opportunity up very well. We just need one movie to close that Kang bit up nice and neat and introduce Doom in the process.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are doing what the comics all did - introduce and support large plots in individual books, while creating team-up book series as well that have their own plots.

The thing they failed to realize is … it was confused and tough to follow in comic book format, nobody’s going to try to reconcile it all in the live action movie/show format.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 2:09:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Nearly all of their movies are bombing because they apparently chose identity politics over good storytelling.  Way to go, Disney.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X1qIZf0w9w
View Quote

People who can't write a decent story AND who identify more with the villans and being evil ... people who aren't grown up and who haven't had to overcome big obstacles and had to suffer meaningful hardships  ... can't write good superhero stories?

This is my shocked face :

ETA: They're doing the same thing to superhero movies that they did to westerns. Old (eta: late 50s and after) hollywood couldn't write heros because they couldn't comprehend them or they could, and *hated* them.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Never was a fan, like watching THEQUARTERING's videos about it imploding.  Same with disney.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 2:11:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Same

Zero interest after that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Iron Man and maybe Iron Man II along with a couple of the Batman movies were about the sum total of my interest in superhero comic movies.  They ran it into the ground for me 10 years ago.

Same

Zero interest after that

Last two comic story arcs I found remotely interesting were Planet and World war hulk, and the *excellent* "silver surfer requiem."

The sufer comic/ graphic novel is worth buying if you find it second hand. Touches on timeless themes and does so well.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 2:14:59 PM EDT
[#30]
It is just brutal watching Marvel continuations.
This season of Loki sucks so bad, each episode I keep saying this has to get better. Nope it doesn’t.
My wife who pays for the subscription because of her love for Marvel is hugely disappointed too so it’s not just me.
Hearing that Marvel is burning on the inside has me intrigued to watch the train wreck.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:Goes kinda like this, 'There was a time Disney touched our hearts, now they wanna touch our children...'
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/5/2023 2:19:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This season of Loki sucks so bad, each episode I keep saying this has to get better. Nope it doesn’t.
My wife who pays for the subscription because of her love for Marvel is hugely disappointed too so it’s not just me.
Hearing that Marvel is burning on the inside has me intrigued to watch the train wreck.
View Quote

I think this season of Loki is excellent, and easily Marvel's answer to Andor as far as redemption goes.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#33]
The new captain marvel movie is especially shitty looking, in their quest to stick diverse into everything, a white woman lead isn’t enough, thus they had to make three main characters, spreading out the diversity to a black chick and Indian looking chick, entire trailer looks dumb as fuck, zero desire to watch it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I would love to see more 60s and 70s Western type movies.  Strong male leads that have flaws that still manage to save the day.  Heck, you could do the same with female leads but apparently having self made flaws and bad histories just isn't a thing anymore when it comes to female leads.

I think of a movie like Quigley Down Under.  The female lead was annoying, hugely flawed, but still likeable by the end of it.
View Quote

she sure is

Link Posted: 11/5/2023 2:28:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The new captain marvel movie is especially shitty looking, in their quest to stick diverse into everything, a white woman lead isn’t enough, thus they had to make three main characters, spreading out the diversity to a black chick and Indian looking chick, entire trailer looks dumb as fuck, zero desire to watch it.
View Quote

The whole franchise would likely be better with Captain Marvel never having been introduced. But, each of these characters has already had a backstory presented on Disney+, they aren't complete unknowns.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 2:30:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I think season of Loki is excellent, and easily Marvel's answer to Andor as far as redemption goes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think season of Loki is excellent, and easily Marvel's answer to Andor as far as redemption goes.

How? Truly, this interpretation of Loki is completely inconsistent with the comic, or movie character.
Loki is a bad ass, psychopathic (and funny) monster. This version is so milquetoast, he is not threatening or dangerous he is a joke and a weepy, unfunny twit.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

How? Truly, this interpretation of Loki is completely inconsistent with the comic, or movie character.
Loki is a bad ass, psychopathic (and funny) monster. This version is so milquetoast, he is not threatening or dangerous he is a joke and a weepy, unfunny twit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because he was truly humbled for the first time in his life, and is going through a very different character arc.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 2:35:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The whole franchise would likely be better with Captain Marvel never having been introduced. But, each of these characters has already had a backstory presented on Disney+, they aren't complete unknowns.
View Quote

Your movie shouldn't require extended homework on a stream service to be understood. That's yet another problem Disney has, currently everything is a commercial for the next thing. Lame fan service with no pay offs, no stakes and bad continuity. Just consume product, clap, wait for shiny.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 2:37:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I was a fan for everything through Endgame. Slowly became disinterested after that. I just saw an ad for The Marvels in theaters this month. I just can’t imagine that will be a blockbuster.
View Quote

The Marvels are an all female trio of superheroes: an African American (Monica Rambeau), a Muslim (Ms. Marvel) and Brie Larsen (Capt Marvel). The villain is also a female person of color, as is the director.

Disney is lowering Box Office expectations because for some reason, polling shows that males under 35 (a key comic book moviegoing demographic) do not plan to see it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Same with Star Wars.
View Quote

Lol.  They are running out of IP to ruin.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Your movie shouldn't require extended homework on a stream service to be understood. That's yet another problem Disney has, currently everything is a commercial for the next thing. Lame fan service with no pay offs, no stakes and bad continuity. Just consume product, clap, wait for shiny.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you even know it does?
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 2:39:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Because he was truly humbled for the first time in his life, and is going through a very different character arc.
View Quote

Humbled?
 You wanted a humble Loki? More humbled than being literally choked to death by Thanos, directly as a result of his schemes going awry and his hubris at his own godhood?
Him simping and becoming some other character named Loki is a shitty arc in my book.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Never thought we'd see the Beyonder.

Hard to do that storyline before re-introducing the X-Men though.

Still, done right it could be very good.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 2:44:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Humbled?
 You wanted a humble Loki? More humbled than being literally choked to death by Thanos, directly as a result of his schemes going awry and his hubris at his own godhood?
Him simping and becoming some other character named Loki is a shitty arc in my book.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Humbled?

Yes. Thanos and his power, and all of Loki's schemes, amount to nothing compared to what this Loki has come to see and understand.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 2:44:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because they have gotten into the habit of pulling this kind of crap?

Dr Strange was the first movie I saw in a theater twice, Dr Strange 2 was essentially just a Wandavision movie, featuring Dr Strange.

And these shmucks.

The Illuminati Fight but with Ed, Edd and Eddy Sound Effects

I saw Dr Strange 2 for free courtesy of my local library. I still felt gypped.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same with Star Wars.

Also, the timeline of real-life comics the were getting into is right around the time of comics gate, where stupid democrats and leftists had finally gotten enough control over print comics to be able to utterly ruin them.

And they did.

If you recall hearing about female thor and etc? That's about the year that kicked off.  The MCU movies are somewhere near there "timeline" wise.

This was baked into the cake at the start if they followed the comics timeline even a tiny little bit.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#47]
The Disney morality tale is a version of the enshittification of all the things:

“Here is how platforms die: first, they are good to their users; then they abuse their users to make things better for their business customers; finally, they abuse those business customers to claw back all the value for themselves. Then, they die.”

In Disney’s case, first they make a movie that fans want and fans are happy.  For the sequel they introduce woke subversive elements and go through the motions with poor writing that’s largely an easy layup from the first movie.  Then for the third and final movie they throw out any pretense of story telling, using only retarded and simplistic tropes like “white man bad, girl stronk”, destroy any narrative continuity with the original successful story and leave things in such a state of wreckage that the only choices are to either retcon the shit writing or - what you see currently - simply abandon the property and move on to another piece of their IP portfolio to rinse and repeat.  But as I said before, Disney is running out of IP and running out of ideas.  What artist or writer in their right mind would sell their idea to Disney at this point in time if they have other options?
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 2:51:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Dr Strange was the first movie I saw in a theater twice, Dr Strange 2 was essentially just a Wandavision movie, featuring Dr Strange.

And these shmucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXBPu839pwg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And these shmucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXBPu839pwg

That example shows me the opposite. Wandavision offers more backstory, but is otherwise wholly unnecessary to the story as it flows from the other movies.

I have zero reason to assert that his Girl Power Pandermonium movie will require knowledge of Wandavision or Ms. Marvel.

I do, however, have reason to push back against the insinuation these were characters plucked out of nowhere.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yes. Thanos and his power, and all of Loki's schemes, amount to nothing compared to what this Loki has come to see and understand.
View Quote

Ah yes, that Thanos guy was so weak, not a real threat. He is such a joke that the snap is a throw away reference and the Infinity Stones so inconsequential we see them tossed into a drawer like old keys. What phenomenal world building and respect for the stories that preceded this one.

If you like it, I'm glad. I expect more, or at least something different, from a story.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Big fan of (most of) the comics and (most of) the movies…

On top of the damned woke shit, what they forgot to factor in is saturation… just because every few years we enjoy seeing a Star Wars or Batman (well aware that’s a DC property, they’re all guilty of it) movie, doesn’t mean we need Star Wars or Batman every minute of every day.

More than one sci-fi fan I know is superhero movie’d out. Superhero fatigue is a real thing.
View Quote

Oversaturation is an attempt by Disney to monetize: as much as their IP as they can to push out their implosion a little bit longer.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top