Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 9:23:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I would like to be able to shoot 30 carbine out of my m1 carbine, but ammo is stupid expensive right now.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Shameless post.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/15/2021 10:07:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Nice
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 10:08:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Likewise shameless post.

Link Posted: 12/15/2021 10:14:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Likewise shameless post.

https://i.imgur.com/a5KCvq6l.jpg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/15/2021 10:16:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Then the round should be around for decades to come. A well maintained USGI spec Carbine will last for years to come. I've 2 USGI Inlands and a Howa produced one that have seen rebuilds by Fulton Armory so their basically like new rifles. Even my NPM that saw a tech check by FA and needed minimal service will be around long after I'm dead and gone.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But .30 carbines cost stupid money these days…

Yep, and when the carbines die out so will the round.

Then the round should be around for decades to come. A well maintained USGI spec Carbine will last for years to come. I've 2 USGI Inlands and a Howa produced one that have seen rebuilds by Fulton Armory so their basically like new rifles. Even my NPM that saw a tech check by FA and needed minimal service will be around long after I'm dead and gone.

Agreed. Especially with companies like Fulton Armory cranking out carbines with a lengthy back order.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 10:21:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Agreed. Especially with companies like Fulton Armory cranking out carbines with a lengthy back order.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But .30 carbines cost stupid money these days…

Yep, and when the carbines die out so will the round.

I'm one of the biggest Fulton fans here but they don't produce large numbers of Carbines. The 1 I bought in 2018 and the 1 I got a couple months ago only have a 500 number difference between the serial numbers. Their a small custom shop, not a volume manufacturer
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 10:22:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Desperation is a stinky cologne.

It's already in progress.  The rifles and ammo are already more expensive than makes sense once one excludes nostalgia. Thats not going to be getting better.
View Quote

For months ammo has been high for all calibers. Have you been checking out prices for AR ammo for various calibers?
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 10:24:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I thought I was getting fucked a few months back @52 CPR.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/38726/Screenshot_20211213-105027_Chrome_jpg-2202357.JPG
View Quote
Laughs in Korean surplus.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Likewise shameless post.

https://i.imgur.com/a5KCvq6l.jpg
View Quote

Now that makes a cool looking fence.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 10:28:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm one of the biggest Fulton fans here but they don't produce large numbers of Carbines. The 1 I bought in 2018 and the 1 I got a couple months ago only have a 500 number difference between the serial numbers. Their a small custom shop, not a volume manufacturer
View Quote

True but you still have AO and Inland cranking out reproductions.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 11:14:29 PM EDT
[#12]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Israelis made one. I cannot recall what it was called though.

Magal. Basically a .30 Carbine Galil that took M1 mags.
https://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints-depot-restricted/weapons/machine-guns/imi_magal_smg-03896.jpg

The depth of knowledge around here is amazing.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 11:23:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Problem with AO and New Inland is they have QC problems. For as many people who have gotten good one's there's enough people (myself included) who have had major issues with them that anytime someone asks me about them I can't recommend them.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 12:13:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:  Problem with AO and New Inland is they have QC problems. For as many people who have gotten good one's there's enough people (myself included) who have had major issues with them that anytime someone asks me about them I can't recommend them.
View Quote

Biggest problem is they don't 100% accept GI parts, so down the road they're an orphan like the late Universals.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 1:13:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Problem with AO and New Inland is they have QC problems. For as many people who have gotten good one's there's enough people (myself included) who have had major issues with them that anytime someone asks me about them I can't recommend them.
View Quote

Understood. I had one that had issues. The problem was an out of spec mag. catch. I bought one from Fulton Armory and that solved the problem. Before that, the rifle would not feed correctly as the magazine did not seat correctly. Afterwards, the rifle sho flawlessly.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 1:21:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Biggest problem is they don't 100% accept GI parts, so down the road they're an orphan like the late Universals.
View Quote

Actually for the most part the rifles were compatible with GI parts. There was a slight difference in the receiver pertaining to the recoil spring housing.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 1:27:14 AM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Israelis made one. I cannot recall what it was called though.

Magal. Basically a .30 Carbine Galil that took M1 mags.
https://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints-depot-restricted/weapons/machine-guns/imi_magal_smg-03896.jpg

Not sure what the point of the bayonet lug is on those unless they made a special bayonet for it.

The Dominicans also made a firearm in .30 Carbine, and I think there was one other besides those two and the M-1 family.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 1:28:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
.30 carbine AR15 that takes M1 Carbine magazines.   I think it would be a hot seller
View Quote

Same reason no body makes one in 357 mag.

Most variants have some sort of advantage in some way.

A 30 carbine would have none.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 1:40:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have a difficult time taking seriously anyone who complains about ammo prices. If ammo prices are a problem, then you're not a handloader, and if you're not a handloader, then it's probable that you do not shoot enough to have much of an opinion on the subject of shooting.
View Quote

I have a difficult time taking seriously anyone who handholds extensively and thinks they are remotely applicable to "the market".

If you're going to handload for a nice light carbine rifle, why not a .35Rem Model 8?
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 2:06:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Understood. I had one that had issues. The problem was an out of spec mag. catch. I bought one from Fulton Armory and that solved the problem. Before that, the rifle would not feed correctly as the magazine did not seat correctly. Afterwards, the rifle sho flawlessly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was one of the minor issues that AO's and New inlands can have.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/overview-assessment-commercial-carbines-mfg-today_topic2587.html

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/new-aom130-feed-issues_topic5479.html

I had all the problems with mine in 2008 that this gentleman had in May this year. It soured me enough on AO's that I passed on buying a new AO at a LGS (Point Blank in Cincinnati) at 1/2 off on a blowout 2019 and bought a used Plainfield instead.

"New" Inlands had issues with their bolts shearing lugs off the 1st year or so due to poor heat treating. I passed on a used one of them this spring because I wasn't sure it had a replacement bolt in it. Problem there is neither AO or NI bolts are USGI spec, they interchange with each other but not USGI bolts
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 8:35:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Actually for the most part the rifles were compatible with GI parts. There was a slight difference in the receiver pertaining to the recoil spring housing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Biggest problem is they don't 100% accept GI parts, so down the road they're an orphan like the late Universals.

Late Universals don't take GI stocks, trigger housing, or slides.  The receiver is also different.  The Kahr/Inland guns cannot reliably take GI bolts, and the bbls & stocks are proprietary.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#22]
We need more shameless posts here

Link Posted: 12/16/2021 2:05:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Late Universals don't take GI stocks, trigger housing, or slides.  The receiver is also different.  The Kahr/Inland guns cannot reliably take GI bolts, and the bbls & stocks are proprietary.
View Quote

Yes, I am familiar with the late Universals; I have one, passed down from my father. With tweaking it shoots perfectly. Has 2 recoil springs. Regarding the barrel and bolts on the Kahn they can be replaced with GI’s. The barrel has to be reamed for correct headspace. I’ve done it. Was quite simple.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 3:21:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yes, I am familiar with the late Universals; I have one, passed down from my father. With tweaking it shoots perfectly. Has 2 recoil springs. Regarding the barrel and bolts on the Kahn they can be replaced with GI’s. The barrel has to be reamed for correct headspace. I’ve done it. Was quite simple.
View Quote

Good to know.  The stock is still funky, however.  Or does replacing w/ a GI bbl fix that?

I had thought there was some fixture on the rear of the GI bbl that was incompatible w/ the Kahr receivers.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Because we already have AR's in a rimless, readily available, 30 caliber round, (that is pretty affordable)... it is called 300 blackout.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#26]
They already have 9mm ARs.

Link Posted: 12/17/2021 2:18:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I want a Lewis Gun in .30-30.
View Quote

In all seriousness, I wish the Italians would make replicas in modern cartridges. Like a Trapdoor Springfield in 30-30 or 308. I've been on a historical buying spree lately but can't justify buying a gun you can't get ammo for without reloading.
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 5:54:01 PM EDT
[#28]

I've seen .45-70 stocked at WalMart.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top