BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not trying to defend Reagan's cavalier fiscal policies, but these figures reflect even worse on Reagan's successors because they are percentages not sums.
Any POTUS who increases US national debt by any percentage at this point is an absolute asshole.
View Quote
There was debate in the Reagan administration on how to handle the budgets coming from the House. The situation presented the Dem House with an opportunity to push for big spending and then either trap Reagan in budget battles or else giving him the blame for the spending.

Since then the situation has been largely structural. Bush 43 and Obama were going to have large debts no matter what.

The issue is the huge government and entitlements. The root cause was FDR and LBJ. I see no politically viable way of undoing it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:26:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Adults??
He is two years away from being old!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This explains everything.  Now hush adults are talking.
Adults??
He is two years away from being old!
Same advice to you.  HUSH, adults are talking.

Also there are a lot people in here posting slanted facts of how things went.  Compromises are just that.  Reagan was one modern example of why NEVER TO TRUST A FILTHY STINKING LIBERAL.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Reagan was a decent man,but way too many put him on a pedestal he doesn't deserve to be on.
View Quote
I agree.

Calvin Coolidge was the best president of the 20th century.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I agree.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FY    Deficit Debt Increase  Deficit /GDP Events Affecting Deficit
1981 $79    $90                  2.4%           Reagan tax cut.

1982 $128 $144                 3.8%           Reagan's 1st budget.

1983 $208 $235                 5.6%           Jobless rate 10.8%.

1984 $185 $195                 4.5%           Increased defense spending.

1985 $212 $256                 4.8%

1986 $221 $297                 4.8%          Tax cut.

1987 $150 $225                 3.1%          Market crash

1988 $155 $252                 2.9%          Fed raised rates.

2016 $585 $1,423              3.1%           Defense = $767.3 b.

http://staging.snopes.com/app/uploads/2012/01/debtchart.jpg
Spending originates in the House.

Who controlled the House under Reagan?

Who controlled the House the last 6 years of obama?

Yeah,I know the signed off on it,but.......

Reagan was a decent man,but way too many put him on a pedestal he doesn't deserve to be on.
I agree.

Sure, but conservatives are still waiting on compromises FILTHY STINKING LIBERALS promised Reagan.  

Reagan did a LOT for this country.  He wasn't perfect, but he was overall good for our country.  And if FILTHY STINKING LIBERALS could be trusted he might have been even better.  But alas they cannot be trusted.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I agree.

View Quote
He is the Greatest NON Founding Father. Way better then Lincoln.

Immigration Act of 1924 was a God Sent that we nee to bring back.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:40:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Got shot and didn't "jump" onto gun control

Defeated the "evil empire"

Brought inflation/stagflation down before it destroyed the USA

You have done 1/1000000000000000000000000000000000000.

So fuck off
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:52:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Got shot and didn't "jump" onto gun control

Defeated the "evil empire"

Brought inflation/stagflation down before it destroyed the USA

You have done 1/1000000000000000000000000000000000000.

So fuck off
View Quote
Best reply in whole thread.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 7:55:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Which is the entire point of the OP. He was shit loads better than Carter or Clinton or the Bushes, sure, but he really doesn’t deserve the almost saintly devotion that he obviously receives.
View Quote
Nor does he deserve the constant bashing of liberals, Neocons, and other leftists. Your op completely lacks historical comprehension and awareness.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nor does he deserve the constant bashing of liberals, Neocons, and other leftists. Your op completely lacks historical comprehension and awareness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is the entire point of the OP. He was shit loads better than Carter or Clinton or the Bushes, sure, but he really doesn’t deserve the almost saintly devotion that he obviously receives.
I don't see it as bashing,more like pointing out the bad stuff that many tend to gloss over.

Same when McCain and Romney ran for POTUS-woe be upon those that pointed out the bullshit............
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:33:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nor does he deserve the constant bashing of liberals, Neocons, and other leftists.
View Quote
I agree 100%.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There was debate in the Reagan administration on how to handle the budgets coming from the House. The situation presented the Dem House with an opportunity to push for big spending and then either trap Reagan in budget battles or else giving him the blame for the spending.

Since then the situation has been largely structural. Bush 43 and Obama were going to have large debts no matter what.

The issue is the huge government and entitlements. The root cause was FDR and LBJ. I see no politically viable way of undoing it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not trying to defend Reagan's cavalier fiscal policies, but these figures reflect even worse on Reagan's successors because they are percentages not sums.
Any POTUS who increases US national debt by any percentage at this point is an absolute asshole.

Yep,no way we see any big changes.

Human nature.Even if a plague or meteor wipes out the vast majority,it will end up going the same way again eventually........
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't see it as bashing,more like pointing out the bad stuff that many tend to gloss over.

Same when McCain and Romney ran for POTUS-woe be upon those that pointed out the bullshit............
View Quote
Shameful to admit that the GOP ran an even worse candidate than the Bushes and McStain when they had a chance to get Obummer out of office

For all of his faults, Reagan was at least 87x better than those jokers.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:43:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
At this point the government has grown to such an extent that you can't be a Coolidge anymore.
View Quote
At this point the voting public is too fond of bloated government to elect Coolidge
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:47:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Shameful to admit that the GOP ran an even worse candidate than the Bushes and McStain when they had a chance to get Obummer out of office

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't argue with that..........
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:50:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Trumps salad days are 87x mo beta
View Quote
I hope by the end of two terms I can say Trump accomplished more for America than Reagan. I'm not sure what you are looking at, but as of right now, I'm not seeing it. I wouldn't put in him the same conversation as Reagan. Trump has done some good things, my personal favorite appointing Mattis as SecDef, but lets not get carried away here. Now if he can make strides on tax reform, get SHARE passed, and kill Obamacare I'll eat all the crow with a smile on my face
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 11:12:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I am not old enough to remember a Republican Presidential candidate winning CA, new machine guns for sale, or a strong American manumitting base either, I guess I should be thankful for Amnesty, MG ban, and him pushing NAFTA, right?

And I should give a fuck why? He did great things for other nations/people while ours went to shit, and I should be grateful why again?  

Its like saying "Look how wonderful their house is", mean while the kitten is
on fire in yours. I dont think you can not compared the immensity of the fuck I do not give about others when things in our nation are going to hell.
View Quote
Low post amount

Yep, checks out....
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 11:21:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Goodnight.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 12:12:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yeah, he wasn’t the worst president ever, but:

-He didn’t cause the collapse of the USSR
-He opened the door to trade dependency with the Chinese Communists
-He didn’t do shit about jihadists killing almost 300 of our service members
-He conspired with the Fudd parts of the NRA to infringe on our Second Amendment rights and supported an AWB after leaving office
-He didn’t intervene to stop thatcher from handing over Hong Kong to the Commies without so much as a polite word against it

So why do conservatives love him so much? Why do liberals hate him so much?
View Quote

Here is a post of a person crying to read history to pull them out of their despair of ignorance. If you gotta ask, you didn't try to learn.
(But, I sense sarcasm in the force with this one.)
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I graduated high school in 1988 and was not politically aware.  I liked Reagan and felt he broke the back of the Soviet Union.  It was good times under Clinton, but it wasn't until later in life that I figured out that the good things experienced during the Clinton administration was because of what Reagan had done.

It took me a long time to figure that out.  I spent my 20's thinking both Reagan and Clinton were great presidents.  I was only half right  
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#20]
You can justify this all you want, we could have gotten everything else in the FOPA without this poison pill, never mind they do not respect the safe passage provision anyways so we got nothing for something of great value.

Just remember every time you see cheap full auto ads in old Shotgun News Magazine or see some youtube vid of someone with some full auto goodness, just remember YOU COULD have that right now, had he not signed the bill, had the NRA decided to grow a pair of balls.

When you are cleaning your AR or other semi auto, "EBR" just remember, "The Gibber" pushed and supported it being banned for 10 years and supported a permanent ban on them

When pass a boarded up factory, see people in the rust belt out of work, or some of the countless "benefits" of NAFTA, make sure to say "Thanks" to "Muh free trading Reagan".

When you see the lastest ass hattery of Bush 43 (and the reason he go as far as he did Bush 41) and the Neo cons (open borders, mass immigration, "Muh nation of immigrants, "Muh Propostional" nation", "Free trade", out/in sourcing, Muh GDP above all else, Interventionism,  etc) just remember who gave them the foot hold and how much damage they were able to do from then up until now.

Lastly Remember that every election coming up and going forward, where you rights, wealth, future and that of your kids are hanging in the balance, just remember that we could not be dealing tens of millions of hostile voting aliens had Reagan not amnesties welfare voters, and allowed the border to stay open, allowing in maybe just enough people for the left to "elect" a permanent leftists majority nation wide, just as they have done in CA, OK?

Just remember that.

You want to see him as this savior figure he never was. Was he as bad as Carter or Mondale could have been? No, but saying that only proves the following point. A batter woman who has dated violent thugs thinks any guy who is not a violent thug is prince Charming...He isnt. He is just not a violent thug.

Reagan was at best a Moderate and conserved nothing but the rate at which the cultural marxists spread and inflicted damage, never mind the damage he did by giving the left what they wanted (open borders, mass immigration, gun control, etc.

Going forward we will look at him at beginning of the end of the Globalist wing of the GOP, as the Nationalist are just about to wipe out, to purge the Neo Con/Globalists from the party/positions of power and we will be all the better for it.

Reagan is just more proof, you can have a great salesmen, but if the message, plan, and actors are crap, it still does not measure up.

Link Posted: 10/25/2017 2:45:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Pretty much what I was wondering. I've even heard that some believe it was the Pope that caused the Soviet demise.

eta, just saw the age. Oh well.
View Quote
The demise of the Soviet Union was caused by the communists.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 2:47:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I never understood why liberals like to point out how liberal Reagan was. Lol
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So why do conservatives love him so much?
View Quote

Do you remember the way you felt after Obama was elected a second time?  The sense of hopelessness?

Prior to Reagan, we were suffering through the malaise know as the Jimmy Carter presidency.  Reagan gave us hope, and a sense of renewal.

Just you wait, thirty years from now, some kid's going to ask you the same thing about Trump.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 2:56:24 PM EDT
[#24]
With Reagan it was not as much about him being someone else's idea of "Conservative" but him being unashamedly Pro-American.

A lot of support for Trump is similar. People may not think he is perfect, but they believe he puts his country first.

It's similar to the reason a lot of people dislike what the NFL has been doing lately, and one of the main things in which the players in that league have a total lack of understanding.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#25]
OP, I was on presidential duty when the Gipper was POTUS, it is unfortunate you lack a good grasp on history that some of us lived through.  Please request a refund for your deficient education.

Old Marine
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
OP, I was on presidential duty when the Gipper was POTUS, it is unfortunate you lack a good grasp on history that some of us lived through.  Please request a refund for your deficient education.

Old Marine
View Quote
Totally agree.  Ronald area gen shaped my entire political outlook and view of what America should be.   I was born in 69.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 4:03:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

To every "Reagan is the best" guy here just remember the following.

He advocated for the ban of semi autos after he left the White House.

He helped ban an entire class of small arm from new ownership, full stop.*

He help give the Bush Clan more power and influence then they would have EVER been able to achieve on their own and set up us for the cluster fuck of Bush and Son admins and harm they caused.

He raised taxes many times in office, for spend cuts, that never came, he should have known better then to trust the enemy party

He gave 3 million invaders citizenship, in exchange for a secure border after the amnesty, once again that NEVER came, knowing better then to trust the enemy party.

He gave away 55 Electoral College Votes away maybe for a generation, if not Permanently because of that Amnesty, never mind the loss of income, jobs decrease in the quality of and sky rocketing cost of life because of it, never mind red districts, cities, states, seats, etc going blue because of it.

He started and pushed for NAFTA proof and "Wonderful" impact it has had.
View Quote
Oh yeah, another new crop of DU trolls has arrived!
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 4:05:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Well, if you understand the Constitution as well as you claim to, then you know that the Supreme Court was set up to interpret it, not you. So, unless the Supreme Court defines "shall not be infringed" the same way you do, then you lose. Unfortunately, they have not taken up that issue, so far. They've preferred to work around and not address the full meaning of that phrase. Until they do, you're idea of what it means is meaningless.

Oh, and I grew up under Eisenhower and all the other presidents thereafter and Reagan was the best president of all of them except for President Trump. So far I rate President Trump above President Reagan. President Reagan was not responsible for that crap machinegun ban the FOPA 1986. He asked the NRA if he should veto it or not and they told him not to. So, there's that. And, I worked for the old I&NS and Reagan was a great president for our agency (President Trump is even better for ICE).

He made a deal with congress to allow the democrat's crap Amnesty program in exchange for laws to allow I&NS to investigate, prosecute, and fine or imprison employers who knowingly employ illegal and unauthorized aliens. That created the first time that all employers in the US had to check their prospective employees for documentation to prove that they were authorized to work. The democrats screwed up that with the Employment Eligibility Verification I-9 form that prohibited employers from asking for specific documents to back up their claims on the form. The alien/prospective employee had the option to show their prospective employer whatever documents they wanted to present as long as  they were among those listed on the approved documents list.

Since you're too young to remember, there was a country called Iran that had the Shah of Iran as their leader. He was a friend of the US and was a dictator that ruled Iran with an iron fist. Unfortunately, the opposition was those aligned with the radical anti-American mullahs. The Shah was deposed and Ayatollah Khomeini took over and his stooges (some college students, some not) attacked the US Embassy and took the embassy personnel captive. They were held captive for over a year while President Jimmy Carter fumbled around for over a year. Ronald Reagan won the presidential election and the next day the Iranian "students" released all of their hostages. President Reagan didn't have a chance to order a rescue operation.

Another incident involved Moamar Khadafy, dictator of Libya who had been constantly taking part in funding terrorist attacks and running terrorist training camps in Libya for various Arab terrorist groups. President Reagan ordered a bombing run on one of Khadafy's homes (he wasn't there, but, his daughter was and was killed). Khadafy immediately stopped his aggressively anti-American actions and threats (until he had some of his terrorists put a bomb on a commercial airlines flight that blew up over Lockerbie, England). That was the last terrorist act that Khadafy fronted until his death at the hands of his countrymen, care of Hillary Clinton and her ineptitude. Khadafy was no longer a threat and he was stabilizing Libya from turning into a base for ISIS and Al Qaeda, which is starting to take place now.
View Quote
Abso-ficking-lutely-NOT!

Judicial Review is a power they gave themselves, usurping authority from Congress. It's called Judicial Tyranny! The courts were intended to be the WEAKEST of the three branches, not the most powerful.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 4:08:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Do you remember the way you felt after Obama was elected a second time?  The sense of hopelessness?

Prior to Reagan, we were suffering through the malaise know as the Jimmy Carter presidency.  Reagan gave us hope, and a sense of renewal.

Just you wait, thirty years from now, some kid's going to ask you the same thing about Trump.
View Quote
Holy God.

Carter did not give Amnesty to 3 million aliens in exchange for an open border, Reagan Did
Carter did not turn over the upper echelon of the GOP to the Neo cons, Reagan Did
Carter did not sign any major anti Gun Legislation, Reagan did as Gov of CA, and again as President, and advocated for it after leaving the White House
Carter did not get us into the cluster fuck that A-Stan, Reagan Did
Carter did not start the push for Nafta, Reagan Did

Carter was an awful President, no one is saying other wise. But the end result of Reagan had the following.

Amnesty for 3 million invaders

Open border with the promise of Amnesty

Loss of CA as a red state due largely to mass immigration, the loss and turning of 55 EC votes we need

New restrictions on the 2nd Amendment in exchange for things we could have gotten later/without said restrictions never mind his helping the 94 AWB pass

A hostile elite within the GOP (Neo Cons, "Cheap" labor lobby), hijacking it, and advocating for interests indifferent to or hostile to the base

Giving the rising star and his empty headed son(s) of that hostile elite a position/power he would not have had otherwise, giving us 2 horrid, failed, cluster fuck administrations that we are only NOW getting away/out from under of.

That is the end result of him, not his intent. Anyone can intend anything. In the end, results matter most, results are what determines history. Results determine whether a nation rises to the stars or sinks into 3rd world savagery.

Trump? Trump has done more in the first 8 months then he did in 8 years.

The wall is going up, did we get anything more then some scrap iron welded together under Reagan? That alone make him better then Reagan
Illegal immigration dropping by more then 75%
No Amnesty, Unlike Ronnie who could not give it away fast enough
Pushes to limit legal immigration by 50%

Those things alone have had more of an impact, and have already helped Americas more then Reagan could ever hope of doing.

Factor in Trumps tactic of Attacking the lying media, throwing down the sick, twisted lie of "moral superiority" of "being the better man" and destroying ones enemies and traitors has shown it is a winning tactic with a massive base of supporters that spans both parties.

His effect is the booting of cowards, cuckservatives, and controlled opposition, which results in a stronger, more unified party that makes gains upon victory rather then squandering it for pity self enrichment, virtue singling, and self destructive lunacy

If we play our cards right with the following

Stacking the courts
School choice/vouchers
Limiting legal immigration
Gerrymandering, proper census counting
Voter ID, purging rolls, limiting early voting
Wall, deportations, ending birthright citizenship  

We can have a 50 year benefit of Trump, a right leaning "LBJ", a Counter "1960s" to repair the damage of the left.

How were they able to ram though so many things in just a 5 year span? Easy

Control of the Media which resulting in the shaping of the culture
which resulted/helped in the following.

Control of the SCOTUS
Control of the Congress
Control of the White House

We have the culture now, people are rejecting the SJW, cultural marxist bend, they may not agree with us on everything but they will not support/join/vote for them.

We have the MSM on its death bed, the New Media is largely on our side/ours.

If we can have gain 60 seats the Senate as well as control over the party by "Eric Cantoring" of the Establishment (Bannon`s War) we will have the will as well as the ability to reign holy hell on the left which might implode into civil war with all the hostile factions, non longer united by "KKKrazy Glue" (hate of whites, conservatives , etc).

Trump? He is not Reagan, He is better then Reagan, he is what Reagan wishes he could have been. And guess what?

Trump is only the beginning.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 4:11:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Oh yeah, another new crop of DU trolls has arrived!
View Quote
So Reagan NEVER supported AWBs?
So Reagan NEVER signed Amnesty?
CA was not lost because of it?
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I hope by the end of two terms I can say Trump accomplished more for America than Reagan. I'm not sure what you are looking at, but as of right now, I'm not seeing it. I wouldn't put in him the same conversation as Reagan. Trump has done some good things, my personal favorite appointing Mattis as SecDef, but lets not get carried away here. Now if he can make strides on tax reform, get SHARE passed, and kill Obamacare I'll eat all the crow with a smile on my face
View Quote
Agreed, I hope you're right!
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yep,no way we see any big changes.

Human nature.Even if a plague or meteor wipes out the vast majority,it will end up going the same way again eventually........
View Quote
America has been an aberration.

And that is true for all countries with real rule of law (i.e., the government limited by the law).

The normal will always be unlimited government. Government wants control, an many want it to control because they don't trust other people but for some reason trust government.

If we manage to get things back to what they should be, it will only last a short while.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 4:21:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You can justify this all you want, we could have gotten everything else in the FOPA without this poison pill, never mind they do not respect the safe passage provision anyways so we got nothing for something of great value.
View Quote
We would not have gotten "everything else in the FOPA". If FOPA didn't pass in '86 or '87 the next chance was with Bush 43.

FOPA protected FFLs from Clinton in the '90s. The gun industry would have been devastated.

FFL protection was the greatest value of FOPA.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

We would not have gotten "everything else in the FOPA". If FOPA didn't pass in '86 or '87 the next chance was with Bush 43.

FOPA protected FFLs from Clinton in the '90s. The gun industry would have been devastated.

View Quote
W_A probably hates guns and thinks they should be banned. Me thinks he is here just to stir up shit based upon join date and the BS he is spouting.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 4:25:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Sure, but conservatives are still waiting on compromises FILTHY STINKING LIBERALS promised Reagan.  

Reagan did a LOT for this country.  He wasn't perfect, but he was overall good for our country.  And if FILTHY STINKING LIBERALS could be trusted he might have been even better.  But alas they cannot be trusted.
View Quote
No one is perfect, but realistically Reagan did as well as possible in his timeframe.

Coolidge was in a different era.

Also, Trump is in a different era.

I don't think you can make a direct comparison since the eras are different, the needed skills are different, etc. Trump is not as strong of ideological conservative as the others, but he might be better then they would be for the situation we have now.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Beating the Swamp is Trumps main task. Much like defeating the USSR was Reagans.

Passing the types of legislation we would like is secondary for Trump, much like fighting the Democrats bloated budgets were secondary for Reagan.

We need to clearly see the priorities of the respective eras.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 4:33:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

W_A probably hates guns and thinks they should be banned. Me thinks he is here just to stir up shit based upon join date and the BS he is spouting.
View Quote
Possible. He seems to be an immigration hardliner. I think he's a kid who has several conservative/populist political views.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 4:35:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If you can name me one perfect person, let alone a politician, I'll concede your points.

Did Reagan have some flaws? Sure, who doesn't. We've been cursed with this belief that we could compromise with the (whatever name you want to give those working to destroy this country), and that eventually he would be successful.  He traded  some things, to get things he thought were important to the country. Some of those trades may have been worth it, some not so much.

Out of curiosity OP, did you live through that time?

I ask because he was a large part of the change and optimism that American went through during the 80s. Going from Vietnam into the 70s had left this country in a shitty mood for the most part. I would hate to think how things may have turned out with him being President.

ETA: I see you answered the age question. I don't know if I can properly explain how much he benefited this country in the long run.
View Quote
I think we're about the same age..  I couldn't agree more.

He wasn't perfect in every way but he was the perfect man for the time.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 5:00:22 PM EDT
[#39]
He did: cause the collapse of the USSR.  By 1983 it was obvious that the USSR:
Would spend itself into bankruptcy trying to match the M1s, M2/3s, stealth aircraft, Patriot, Pershing II, etc. or have to invade W. Germany before we got them fully fielded. The USSR leadership chose option 1. Leading to their collapse.  I was setting in the Fulda Gap then, praying they would not choose Option 2.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Reagan is a hard one to get a handle on.   He professed to be a fiscal conservative, yet spending, the deficit and taxes all went up under this leadership.  His family values crusade was a bit hard to take given the dysfunctional mess his own family was.  His supreme court nominations were good.   He was for a strong defense and things did get better during his administration.  It was largely a Reagan military that invaded Kuwait.  He professed great religious fervor yet almost never went to church and as far as anyone can tell wasn't a card caring member of any congregation since his teens.  

His foreign policy was all over the place.  He tried in the Middle East but once the Marines were killed in Beirut he basically ran away.  The Soviet Union did fall during his time in office and Reagan deserves some credit for that.  

The minutiae of government bored him.  He was a big picture guy that let his subordinates do much of the heavy lifting.  He was not always well served by them. Tip O'Neill could play Reagan like a violin.  

He was seemingly everyone's friend but had no real true friends of his own, outside of Nancy.  No one could ever call him self Reagan's best friend because he never had one.  

The Hughes Amendment was part of a larger bill that overall was positive for gun owners.  It was a compromise and a fairly underhanded one at that.  There's still some question if it was properly approved by the House.  

He was a far better actor than many give him credit for.  He played the role of president very well.  

I voted for him twice.  Anything was better than Jimmy Carter.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 5:40:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Agreed, I hope you're right!
View Quote
Fuck hope, take action, work for a candidate in the primaries, do a phone bank with them or the NRA (local branches are not like the cucks in VA). Now is OUR time.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

America has been an aberration.

And that is true for all countries with real rule of law (i.e., the government limited by the law).

The normal will always be unlimited government. Government wants control, an many want it to control because they don't trust other people but for some reason trust government.

If we manage to get things back to what they should be, it will only last a short while.
View Quote
The modern age might be what breaks the cycle. We are an aberration, we are free, have largely a high IQ, have the current era of tech, the Internet along with an highly armed citizenry might be what breaks it.

It would be great if we had Interstellar travel/settlement...Just pick up and move to a new world, an eternal frontier, few of the Globalist, the Bankers, the R selected..

It would not shock of me such tech existed (invented or "given" to us by "others") and it was being suppressed, the parasites can not risk their hosts fleeing beyond their grasps now can they.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 6:07:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Any reason why would not just have pulled the bill, then re-introduced it without Hughes "bright idea"?

FOPA did/does good, but it was not worth an entire class of arms being barred from new ownership (barring ass loads of paper work).

It burns me to the core to see post dealer samples, to see them and know for a fact I can not buy one. Not because I am a dangerous person, not because I am a felon (total bullshit we punish people after they serve their debt, but I digress), but because of some one`s opinion, someone`s "feeling" and that someone had the means to limit my right to own/buy one.

Truly Traitors are the worst of all people.

After all, who are the most dangerous people amongst us? Thieves? Rapists? Murderers? Paedophiles?

No. Traitors are the most dangerous people who walk amongst us. Traitors are the most dangerous people of all because they endanger the entire nation and everybody in it.

But the term “traitor” can be a broad one, ecompassing anybody who the individual in question perceives is acting in a treacherous manner towards them.
This then invites the question: Who exactly should Gun Owners consider “traitors”? The answer is fairly straightforward, really. Those who betray their nation’s interests? Certainly!

"I know not what treason is, if sapping and betraying the liberties of a people be not treason." - Cato (234 BC - 149 BC)

In the end Traitors always get what they have coming, in this life, seeing their action exposed, their wrongs corrected and hanging in our history and cultures as the demons they are, or in the next, where the deepest circle of Hell awaits just for them, the lowest of the lowest, the worst of the worst.'

Lets restore some rights? Shall we?

SHARE act now, Hughes Soon.

No More Infringements, But Nothing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 6:08:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
No, just fucking pissed that the Hughes Amendment was illegally add to a bill and is law. Is that possible?
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 6:14:57 PM EDT
[#45]
OP, I am guessing you arent old enough to have enjoyed being in the military with Reagan as CIC.  Its a shame, you would have enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 6:36:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Beating the Swamp is Trumps main task. Much like defeating the USSR was Reagans.

Passing the types of legislation we would like is secondary for Trump, much like fighting the Democrats bloated budgets were secondary for Reagan.

We need to clearly see the priorities of the respective eras.
View Quote
I would argue that Trump`s task is far largely, riskier, and hostile as he only has half of one party as of now as well as an entirely hostile media and deranged useful idiots via the government run education mills.

If he pulls this off, if he sinks/burns down the Swamp I shit you not he will be a hero on Par with the Founders.

Also the Internet has really changed the landscape, the truth is as fast as the lie it seeks to put down.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Possible. He seems to be an immigration hardliner. I think he's a kid who has several conservative/populist political views.
View Quote
Oh friend....If only you know how hardline I am on Immigration. I can not wait to see how we can out do the Immigration Act of 1924.

I am 25, and I am  nationalist/restoreationist

I am as far from the left as you can get.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#48]
I lived through Reagan's time in office in my 20's. Thought he was good at speeches.

My dad, who was the most conservative person I ever knew....really hated Reagan.

When I asked why, he said he had contributed to both Social Security and Federal Railroad Retirement over the years, thinking he would draw a pension from each one. He said Reagan changed it so he could only draw from one, whichever was greater.

Just saying what I was told.  I heard he also limited the time military members could draw from unemployment because they chose to get out, or some such thing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I lived through Reagan's time in office in my 20's. Thought he was good at speeches.

My dad, who was the most conservative person I ever knew....really hated Reagan.

When I asked why, he said he had contributed to both Social Security and Federal Railroad Retirement over the years, thinking he would draw a pension from each one. He said Reagan changed it so he could only draw from one, whichever was greater.

Just saying what I was told.  I heard he also limited the time military members could draw from unemployment because they chose to get out, or some such thing.
View Quote
Well your dad is proof among many reasons why you can not believe a "government promise". SS/Government pensions are vote buying Ponzi scams, nothing more.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No, just fucking pissed that the Hughes Amendment was illegally add to a bill and is law. Is that possible?
View Quote
You need to understand how GCA 68 was weaponized against FFLs and also how ideas on guns has changed.

EBRs have only recently become mainstream. In the 90s gun banners smelled blood, since polls showed popular support for AWBs and the trend lines seemed to indicate gun ownership was going to be marginalized.

In 86 EBRs were a nitch market and most gun owners didn’t care about MGs.

Gun controls popular failure since then has been remarkable.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top